Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Roon connection issues - need help!

Looking for some help on an issue I experienced this weekend while replacing my Mediacom all-in-one modem/switch/wifi router/telephone to a dedicated modem (Arris SB8200), switch (Luxul AGS-1008M), and wifi router (Netgear AC1900 Nighthawk). I do not need the telephone functionality so that is not in the new setup.

When connecting the system in the follow in way, Roon was not able to find the core (Intel NUC): cable ethernet > Arris SB8200 modem > RJ45 > Luxul AGS-1008M switch > Netgear AC1900 Nighthawk wifi router (Intel NUC connected to Luxul switch via RJ45).

In order to get the Roon core to show up I needed the following setup: cable ethernet > Arris SB8200 modem > RJ45 > Netgear AC1900 Nighthawk wifi router (Intel NUC connected to Netgear wifi router's switch and Luxul switch is completely out of the setup).

I want to be able to run the Netgear wifi router into another room for better coverage, but can't because I need to use its switch to connect to the Intel NUC (and the other connections in my home). My understanding is that Roon is a bit fickle in this area, so I am looking for any advice to solve the issue and get the Luxul switch back in the mix. Thanks!
    Morgan

NEW SYSTEM UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Re: Roon connection issues - need help!

Did I miss it or did you leave your DAC out of the setup you described in your post?
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Did I miss it or did you leave your DAC out of the setup you described in your post?
    The rest of the setup is Bluesound Node 2 connected via RJ45 to switch (currently Netgear wifi router's switch) to Marantz SA-10 DAC via SPDIF coax. Maybe everything matters here, but left this out as I am just trying to get Roon to locate the core. Once the core is located, everything works as intended.
    Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by MPW View Post
    The rest of the setup is Bluesound Node 2 connected via RJ45 to switch (currently Netgear wifi router's switch) to Marantz SA-10 DAC via SPDIF coax. Maybe everything matters here, but left this out as I am just trying to get Roon to locate the core. Once the core is located, everything works as intended.
    Does your Roon core see your DAC?
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

I used to run Roon core on an iMac and Roon app on an iPad. It was awful. Had connection issues probably at least 75% of the time. Rebooting the iMac would usually solve the problem for a day or two. Interestingly, didn't have a connectivity problem with the Roon iPhone app, but I didn't like the functionality of the small phone screen.

Now I use Roon core on a dedicated player, and have absolutely no problems connecting to Roon on either an iPad or iPhone.
    Analog source: AMG Viella 12; Ortofon Anna cartridge, van den Hul Crimson Stradivarius XGW
    Digital source: Totaldac d1-twelve Mk2 DAC, Totaldac d1-player, Totaldac d1-streamer, Totaldac Live Power supply
    Pre amp: VAC Master with phono
    Phonostage: ​Constellation Andromeda
    Amps: VAC 200iQ monoblocks
    Speakers: Magico M3 with MPods
    Cables: Synergistic Research Galileo SX speaker, phono, analog and digital interconnects
    Power products: Synergistic Research Galileo PowerCell SX and Transporter Ultra. Galileo SX and SRX power cords. Keces P3 LPS for cable modem and router.

Quote Originally Posted by Dth31 View Post
    I used to run Roon core on an iMac and Roon app on an iPad. It was awful. Had connection issues probably at least 75% of the time. Rebooting the iMac would usually solve the problem for a day or two. Interestingly, didn't have a connectivity problem with the Roon iPhone app, but I didn't like the functionality of the small phone screen.

Now I use Roon core on a dedicated player, and have absolutely no problems connecting to Roon on either an iPad or iPhone.
    The more simplified your setup is, the easier it is to connect to Roon and stay connected to Roon.

Does your Roon core see your DAC?
    Roon is not seeing the core. Because it isn't seeing the core, you cannot tell if it is seeing the end point (in this case the Node 2). When I change the configuration to the second setup mentioned in my original post, Roon connects to the core and the end point shows up normally. When I add the Luxul switch into the mix (first setup in original post), it can't see or connect to the core and therefore won't show if the end point is connected or not. Hope that makes sense.
    Morgan

Roon is not seeing the core. Because it isn't seeing the core, you cannot tell if it is seeing the end point (in this case the Node 2). When I change the configuration to the second setup mentioned in my original post, Roon connects to the core and the end point shows up normally. When I add the Luxul switch into the mix (first setup in original post), it can't see or connect to the core and therefore won't show if the end point is connected or not. Hope that makes sense.
    Why do you need the Luxul switch?

Why do you need the Luxul switch?
    It isn't totally necessary, but I wanted to move the wifi router out of my utility closet where I have the RJ45 connections to the rest of my house so that it is more centrally located and would get better coverage. I am not able to do that currently because I need the functionality of its switch. The Luxul switch in front of the wifi router would allow me to connect my house in the utility closet to the switch (including my Roon core) and then move the wifi router elsewhere. It's not a big deal, but it would be preferred.
    Morgan

Is the Luxul switch the same speed as the Router? An older or slower switch can interfere with or dramatic slow down all wifi. To get consistent high speed connections ideally you want at least a 10/100/1000 switch. The entire path is only as good as it's weakest component.

I might suggest trying a new switch. A decent fast switch is pretty inexpensive.

Btw, I just re-read your last post. A switch can not act like a router. Putting the switch before the router most likely will not work either way. Ideally, the signal coming off your modem should go straight into the router, first, and a switch can be used after.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    Is the Luxul switch the same speed as the Router? An older or slower switch can interfere with or dramatic slow down all wifi. To get consistent high speed connections ideally you want at least a 10/100/1000 switch. The entire path is only as good as it's weakest component.

I might suggest trying a new switch. A decent fast switch is pretty inexpensive.

Btw, I just re-read your last post. A switch can not act like a router. Putting the switch before the router most likely will not work either way. Ideally, the signal coming off your modem should go straight into the router, first, and a switch can be used after.
    Switch is a current gigabit switch. I think you are correct that the sequence is important for Roon. The rest of my network worked fine using the switch ahead of the router, but I think I will need to stay with router ahead of switch unless someone comes up with any grand ideas.
    Morgan

It is not just Roon, in virtually all networking the router comes first, directly off the modem. Switches always follow the router in both home and enterprise environments. It may work the other way, but it is not working correctly, or certainly to its best.

I assume you are running a cable from the closet to the router. I would suggest running another off the router back to the switch in the closet to connect the remainder of the house. You can easily tie the two cables together and it should not change the look or cosmetics as running one out of the closet to the router.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Luxul AGS-1008M switch > Netgear AC1900 Nighthawk
    You may have connected your AC1900 was a router, instead of as a bridge. As a router, it will create a Wi-Fi network that is separate from your Ethernet network, and discovery traffic will not cross that boundary. As a bridge, both the Wi-Fi and Ethernet networks will be the same network.

There's no problem with having the AGS-1008M "in front" of the AC1900. You just need to make sure to have configured the AC1900 properly.
    Neko Audio
    Authorized Dealer: AC Infinity, APC, Audeze, Bryston, Devialet, Elite HTS, Fortress Seating, JMF Audio, JVC, Kaleidescape, LG, LUMIN, Magico, Ortofon, RME, Samsung, Soulution, STAX, Trinnov, Vivid Audio, Weiss & more.

Looking for some help on an issue I experienced this weekend while replacing my Mediacom all-in-one modem/switch/wifi router/telephone to a dedicated modem (Arris SB8200), switch (Luxul AGS-1008M), and wifi router (Netgear AC1900 Nighthawk). I do not need the telephone functionality so that is not in the new setup.

When connecting the system in the follow in way, Roon was not able to find the core (Intel NUC): cable ethernet > Arris SB8200 modem > RJ45 > Luxul AGS-1008M switch > Netgear AC1900 Nighthawk wifi router (Intel NUC connected to Luxul switch via RJ45).

In order to get the Roon core to show up I needed the following setup: cable ethernet > Arris SB8200 modem > RJ45 > Netgear AC1900 Nighthawk wifi router (Intel NUC connected to Netgear wifi router's switch and Luxul switch is completely out of the setup).

I want to be able to run the Netgear wifi router into another room for better coverage, but can't because I need to use its switch to connect to the Intel NUC (and the other connections in my home). My understanding is that Roon is a bit fickle in this area, so I am looking for any advice to solve the issue and get the Luxul switch back in the mix. Thanks!
    I am using similar components in my system. Here is a diagram of my set up.

All the connections shown are wired (cheap Ethernet 6 cables from monoprice). The two switches are also very inexpensive and from monoprice.

As you can see in the diagram, I have two routers. The Arris modem/router is the main component. I recall that I had to make changes to the IP adddress to make sure that the two routers were working nice together. I can’t remember exactly what the issue was but I think that both the Arris and the Asus had the same IP address and I had to change one of them. I kept the Arris IP address the same and changed the IP address of the Asus. Then I used the Asus to create a faster Wi-Fi network for the house. It is also possible to add other Asus routers and create a mesh Wi-Fi in your home.
    Keep in mind that if you are connecting to Roon remotely via a phone/tablet, your phone/tablet and Roon core must be connected to the same network!

Since you have two routers you then have TWO Wi-Fi networks (one from each router) working simultaneously. If your Roon core is connected to the Arris router, then your phone/tablet must be is connected to the WIFi of the Arris too.

A few tips:
    - Since you have more than one Wi-Fi network, consider naming them in a way that there won’t be confusion as to which network you are connecting to.
    - Each router probably has two network frequencies (like 2.4 and 5). So with two routers you could actually create 4 Wi-Fi networks for your home.
    - you can use one of those networks for guest Wi-Fi with simple password and limited access to the rest of your home network.
    - My Asus router was faster and more powerful than the Arris and I use it for Wi-Fi around the house.
    - However, if I want to use my phone to control Roon, I need to switch to the Wi-Fi network associated with the Arris.

A router sends things from your modem to your internal network, a switch connects everything to your internal network from the router.

internet>modem>router>switch>end device

What is a Network Switch versus a Router?

Switches create a network. Routers connect networks. A router links computers to the Internet, so users can share the connection. A router acts as a dispatcher, choosing the best path for information to travel so it's received quickly.

At my office we recently rebuilt our network.
    Fiber Optics come in from AT&T through their modem. The AT&T modem connects to a Cisco professional router, the Cisco Router then connects to two Cisco professional switches. All devices, PC’s, Servers, NAS, Wireless Access points, Printers, etc., are wired to the switches.

Putting a switch first may establish a network but it gets its connection from the router. Today's equipment is good enough that it can back fill so to speak, however it is cutting the ability of the router to establish your overall connection to your ISP and to setup the wireless connection correctly. Networking done right, always puts the router first, directly off the modem, and switches after the router.

Nico's example is correct, although he probably could have used a Wireless Access Point instead of a second router, but either way will work.

Also, keep in mind that many routers can actually setup/control multiple networks (and multiple bandwidths) so it is important to configure the devices to be on the same network.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

We had the house pre-wired with ethernet ran to various rooms and feeding into a network hub which is in my office. The cable modem is connected to the coax straight from Charter and feeds via ethernet to the Asus Router. The router provides wireless for the house and cables going to various rooms are connected. The only switch I use is in the office, my computer, the main printer and the Tesla solar panels wireless hub are attached to that.

The NAS is attached via one to the ethernet cables and is located in our bedroom (easiest place to set it up and have ethernet available ), another ethernet goes to our guest bedroom where the large Canon art printer is located, another to the main Smart TV. Most everything else in the house runs off the one wi-fi from the Asus.

The PC Server running Roon and the Surface tablet which is my Roon controller both use wi-fi.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I’m glad I don’t need any switches in my audio network and my setup is very simple. I have an Ethernet wall jack next to my digital rack. The wall outlet is wired with Cat 8 cable to my cable modem downstairs. A cat 8 cable connects from my wall jack to my Netgear router. Both my Roon Nucleus+ and my PS Audio DSJ are connected to the Netgear router with Cat 8 cables. I use an iPad to run Roon. That’s all there is to it in my digital rig.

I’m glad I don’t need any switches in my audio network and my setup is very simple. I have an Ethernet wall jack next to my digital rack. The wall outlet is wired with Cat 8 cable to my cable modem downstairs. A cat 8 cable connects from my wall jack to my Netgear router. Both my Roon Nucleus+ and my PS Audio DSJ are connected to the Netgear router with Cat 8 cables. I use an iPad to run Roon. That’s all there is to it in my digital rig.
    Easy does it! Roon connection issues - need help!

Keep it simple is always the best way!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

If I understand your needs correctly, I think your configuration needs to be:

Arris SB8200 modem > (WAN port) Netgear AC1900 Nighthawk (LAN port) > Switch > NUC

If the modem, router, and the switch are in different rooms, you need long Ethernet cables.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team