Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thinking to replace my phono

Hi All,

I was wondering, what are the benefits I can get by replacing the phono stage with a more expensive one, say - 8K$-11K$?
    My current analog setup made from Brinkmann Bardo turntable & 10.5 arm, Miyajima-Laboratory Kansui cartridge, Zesto Andros PS phono. The above setup connects to Luxman C\M900u pre+amp and Magico S3mk2 speakers.

Any thought or knowledge is welcome.
    Thanks

Re: Thinking to replace my phono

Really tough call, as I’ve found there are a lot of phono stages available, at prices that can become stratospheric. Very difficult to audition as the whole analog front end is such a “system” of cart, cable, phono stage, and cable again. Lots of sideways moves that will bring a slight improvement in one area to sacrifice something in another. The used market is great for phono stages as its about the only way to hear pieces in your rig.

I was headed down the road of getting an Ypsilon, but turned out the step-up transformers wouldn’t mate well with my cartridge, so abandoned the new phono stage hunt and have chosen to get a new cartridge instead.

Sage advise above from Bob V. IMO.........

IMO when people start 'throwing' $$ at their systems it's very much a ego / audio forum thing ..........
    Cheers ! …. Dave

thanks for the replay, i love my cartrige, so replacing is not an option at the moment.
    i'll check some other phonos like PASS, Brinkmann and mybe Moon to see if the diffarence worth the money.

why is it anyone concern what one does with his money?

You seem to have a pretty well balanced high-end system, so the only way you're going to get useful information here is to audition phono stages in your own home (dealer loaners, or buy/sell on audiogon). Also consider trying some of the more exotic outboard SUTs to see if you can find a better match for your cartridge (run the Zesto in MM mode), though the ones in the Zesto should already be pretty good. And of course with a tube phono you can always try rolling some super NOS 12ax7 tubes - it can make a difference!

In your price range I have the VAC Renaissance phono stage and love it (I do use an outboard SUT though - its built in Lundahls aren't my favorite)! But I haven't heard the Andros to compare.

Quote Originally Posted by exupgh12 View Post
    thanks for the replay, i love my cartrige, so replacing is not an option at the moment.
    i'll check some other phonos like PASS, Brinkmann and mybe Moon to see if the diffarence worth the money.
    I wasn’t suggesting you take the same path as myself wrt cartridge, thats just where I chose to go as my phono stage, upon a bit of comparison, is actually very good. At the reference level it sometimes is a matter of degrees and finesse/nuance. I’m likely to get more upgrading my cart as my Benz LPS is very good but not compared to some of the latest offerings from Otofon (Anna Diamond), Etsuro, or VdH to name a few. I’m jonesing for the Etsuro Gold.

There’s room for improvement with your phono, I was suggesting the used market for bang-for-buck, and ability to audition as until you have it in your own system you’re just guessing anyway.

i truly love your advice turning to second hand market, the issue is to wait for the right component....guess i'll have to be patient.

Many Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
    You seem to have a pretty well balanced high-end system, so the only way you're going to get useful information here is to audition phono stages in your own home (dealer loaners, or buy/sell on audiogon). Also consider trying some of the more exotic outboard SUTs to see if you can find a better match for your cartridge (run the Zesto in MM mode), though the ones in the Zesto should already be pretty good. And of course with a tube phono you can always try rolling some super NOS 12ax7 tubes - it can make a difference!

In your price range I have the VAC Renaissance phono stage and love it (I do use an outboard SUT though - its built in Lundahls aren't my favorite)! But I haven't heard the Andros to compare.
    Any suggestion for favorit NOS tubes?
    Thank you.

You will be slightly exceeding your top end of budget, but you mentioned Brinkmann, and I would start that there with their Roont power supply.

IMO the Brinkmann combo is tough to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Quote Originally Posted by UltraFast69 View Post
    You will be slightly exceeding your top end of budget, but you mentioned Brinkmann, and I would start that there with their Roont power supply.

IMO the Brinkmann combo is tough to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    This was my first instinct, i will try to audtion the Edison in my system and see how it preforms.
    Thanks for replying

Quote Originally Posted by exupgh12 View Post
    Hi All,

I was wondering, what are the benefits I can get by replacing the phono stage with a more expensive one, say - 8K$-11K$?
    My current analog setup made from Brinkmann Bardo turntable & 10.5 arm, Miyajima-Laboratory Kansui cartridge, Zesto Andros PS phono. The above setup connects to Luxman C\M900u pre+amp and Magico S3mk2 speakers.

Any thought or knowledge is welcome.
    Thanks

My top contenders would be in no particular order

Merrill Jens Phono Stage
    Van den Hul the Grail SB
    Pass Labs XP-27
    Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Ikeda 9TT Streamer: Aurender A10 Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 XLR Interlink: Ansuz A2, [B]XLR Interlink: [B]Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, X series Audio Rack: Rack of Silence 4 and 2.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Thinking to replace my phono