Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Audioshark

Aurender W20SE + Aurender ACS10 (28TB)

I brought home the W20SE + ACS10 to test in my home environment. I had been using Roon with a Nucleus+ going into the Roon Renderer module on the back of the MBL N31. But after doing some research, I read that Juergen Reiss of MBL and Ari Margolis of Aurender both stated they preferred the AES/EBU connection on the input (MBL) and output (Aurender). Source: https://www.stereophile.com/content/...ocessor-page-2

So, using a Shunyata Sigma AES/EBU, I connected everything up last week and began listening.

One of the nice features of ACS10, aside from ripping CD’s beautifully, flawlessly and acting as a central hub for all music, sonically superior to my NAS, I liked it’s 2X Isolated LAN Port. Aurender describes it below:

“ACS10 features 3 LAN ports, so it can be used as an Ethernet switch. One of three LAN Ports is 2X isolated – use this 2X isolated LAN port to connect to another Aurender server/player to isolate the server/player from any noise introduced by the LAN connection. If using ACS10 as a stand alone server, use the 2X isolated LAN to connect directly to the router.”

After listening, I frankly think this is a feature of the ACS10 that Aurender should promote more.

For testing purposes, I began my alternating between the non-isolated and isolated LAN ports. It was more of a sonic improvement than I could have imagined.

It’s fair to say, I’m a huge fan of the Roon interface, functions and features. I love how you can literally misspell an artists name in Roon and it will find the closest match. And for Roon, Lumin U1 is my digital transport of choice. The Lumin U1 combined with Roon the best I’ve found for Roon. Unlike their competitors, the Lumin has no problem with DSD512. Although your DAC might, the Lumin doesn’t choke on high res DSD like others. In this environment, leave the Roon Core functionality to the Nucleus.

That being said, the sonic argument against Roon is good one. Roon requires a lot of computing horse power to run it’s beautiful interface. The downside is that interface creates noise. Combined with a noisy NAS, it might be the prettiest, but it may have some level of sonic compromise.

The Aurender app is quite a bit better today than it was even two years ago and Aurender promises an iPhone version soon. With Aurender, I do like the fade out of the music when I switch songs. It’s a small feature, but a nice one when you’re flipping through tracks. Aurender has tried, and frankly, achieved to create a single digital ecosystem for you and your favorite DAC which takes the traditional computer/NAS out of the equation. Aurender is further updating their software to include a feature where soon, the ACS10 will use your NAS to backup on a regular schedule. But the music playback remains within the Aurender ecosystem.

Ripping CD’s to the ACS, connecting the W20SE via the 2X LAN Port and using AES/EBU has undeniably raised my digital front end at home to a whole new level. In the digital sense, “form follows function” certainly applies here.

Next up for my main home system: a complete speaker and IC overhaul. Stay tuned.

As for my family room system? It’s been sold. What’s next? Something that’s old is new again....stay tuned.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Interesting, Mike. Sounds like Aurender is very smart to include an audiophile grade noise-isolating “switch” inside the box. ACS10 really is a one-stop digital solution, which even includes design consideration for network connection side.

Banned

Re: Aurender W20SE + Aurender ACS10 (28TB)

Mike great write up. I enjoy my A10 and N100 combo as well.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team