Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Is Rock & Roll Dead, Just no one called the time?

I guess the 70's & 80's were my main influential radio listening days. It seems today we have Pop and Hard Rock/Metal still doing well. "Alternative" which is leaning more Pop.

But where is the Rock, like the Bob SEger, Dire Straits, Loverboy, REO Speedwagon, BTO etc.? Those bands that made Rock radio which is now "Classic" and sometimes made the Pop charts of the day. The latest bands like that I recall are 3 Doors Down and Nickelback. Maybe Shinedown.

You look at the summer concerts it's either old Classic bands or Hard Rock/Metal.
    I'm not saying there isn't new interesting music, but, I bet if you are buying/listening it's a fringe genre or Jazz

Rock & Roll still has a legacy. I looked up one day it seems for now Rock is gone.

Once these old bands like Journey, Def Leppard, Foreigner, Chicago all stop, whose there to fill the shoes, what will the concert line up be?

Bye Bye Miss American Pie.............
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Re: Is Rock & Roll Dead, Just no one called the time?

Good question. I guess Rock just got old, and few are interested in it. However, I know my tastes have changed. I’m 70, and have really developed a taste for Metal a few years ago. Now I usually buy 2 albums every week from HDTracks.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

rock & roll may not be dead; however, the golden age of rock has certainly passed on...

great post -- pretty much my observation as well. while classic rock will always be THE music, i have not listened to it in quite a while. the exception here is on FM radio in the car on a road trip.

btw: not for nothing, the passing of classic r&r coincided with the demise of the 8-track -- format of choice for the music... chicken or egg here?

viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | almarro a318b + air tight atc-5 (phono) | clearaudio concept + virtuoso v2 MM | t+a dac8 dsd + diy transport + roon rock
    alp-tone audio analog cables | core audio designs plyKraft 3L | hifi racks ltd podium t5-iii

Why not bemoan the loss of ‘60’s pop-rock, or ‘80’s alt/punk fusion? Or rock and roll, or rockabilly? It seems that you are merely noting that the music you came of age with is no longer relevant to today’s youth, something that happens every 10-15 years no matter what the musical genre (I don’t know if you are old enough to remember the complaints when Elvis, and later The Beatles, became popular; “real” music was going to be gone forever). OTOH, it’s easier than ever to discover good and interesting music in new styles, as Bud points out.
    Rob
    Tascam BR-20; Technics 1506 with tape path upgrades, FM head, DeHavilland 222 tape head pre; Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS; Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS; MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out); Pass Labs XP-12, XA60.8 (pair); Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s, VMPS Larger Sub; Daedalus/Wywires, Acoustic Zen, Sablon Audio, Wireworld, Shunyata Research cables; Core Power Equi=Power;
    Adona rack, ​​​​​Stillpoints, IsoPods, ASC, GIK Acoustics accessories

BTW, you should rename this topic thread; your post describes “arena rock” not “rock & roll”.
    Rob
    Tascam BR-20; Technics 1506 with tape path upgrades, FM head, DeHavilland 222 tape head pre; Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS; Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS; MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out); Pass Labs XP-12, XA60.8 (pair); Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s, VMPS Larger Sub; Daedalus/Wywires, Acoustic Zen, Sablon Audio, Wireworld, Shunyata Research cables; Core Power Equi=Power;

Rock & Roll is not dead, its playing right now in my room. As long as us old Rockers play the music, its a live and well.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Rock’n roll is an attitude, and as long as there are young people, rebellion is a sure bet. The music accompanying it will change in regular intervals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    Rock’n roll is an attitude, and as long as there are young people, rebellion is a sure bet. The music accompanying it will change in regular intervals.

Good one! Is Rock & Roll Dead, Just no one called the time?

the question is how many thousend times can we listen the same songs without getting bored?
    i do enjoy remixes

Quote Originally Posted by u-sound View Post
    the question is how many thousend times can we listen the same songs without getting bored?
    i do enjoy remixes
    LOL. I sometimes wonder about people who listen to the same music, over and over, for years.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

yea lol, a true audiophile needs only 1 song.

sara k. for decades

Maybe you aren't familiar enough with Rock to get what I mean.

I wasn't alive then but love 50's R&R, the next decade had R&R, whether Elvis or Stones, the 70's had Rock that carried the vibe like Bob Seber, Van Morrison. This type of Rock may have become arena Rock but you can say that about any decade, there were always concerts. The 80's got a bit strange but there were still some Rock, less in the 90's and I can't think of much that carries the same torch in the 2k's.

Although I feel the main vein of R&R is dead, my music collection has always grown and still does. That's not the point. Like most of you I've found good music in other areas.

As stated above, each decade has has someone to fill the R&R shoes up until about 2k. Most of you missed the point, I didn't say music was dead, I said Rock & Roll is dead. I can't think of any bands who picked up the torch.

I can't remember which app for Tidal I was using but Rock is Rock/Indie now, it doesn't even have it's own genre heading.

Each decade of Rock does have bands that brings something original to add. Maybe it could be argued that Rock isn't dead, it's just not recognizeable, like Country today. If someone was in a coma in the 80's and woke up today they wouldn't recognize Country on the radio dial.

One big difference, Classic Rock is still played, where "classic" any other genre if played is rare.

More evidence of death, most popular Rock bands have cover bands that tour and make money playing the other bands music and in many instances try to look like the band. Sure people do what it takes to make money but if Rock wasn't dead, if Rock still had working bands who picked up the torch we wouldn't need cover bands or the old bands touring in their 70's or promoters paying big money for bands to come out of retirement. Sometimes a band name tours and you are lucky one original member is still in the band.

Quote Originally Posted by rbbert View Post
    Why not bemoan the loss of ‘60’s pop-rock, or ‘80’s alt/punk fusion? Or rock and roll, or rockabilly? It seems that you are merely noting that the music you came of age with is no longer relevant to today’s youth, something that happens every 10-15 years no matter what the musical genre (I don’t know if you are old enough to remember the complaints when Elvis, and later The Beatles, became popular; “real” music was going to be gone forever). OTOH, it’s easier than ever to discover good and interesting music in new styles, as Bud points out.

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

It's still alive, although probably not what it was vs. the rest of the music world in the past.
    Main System - Lumin U2, Modwright LS36.5 DM Preamp, VTV Purifi 1ET-7040SA with tube buffer, EMM Labs DAC 2X (ver. 2), Torus RM-20, Thiel CS 3.7s, 2 Rel S/812 subs
    Back-up 1 - Premium Audio mini Gan Amp, Oppo 103D, 2 Richard Gray cond, Selah SA-2s, Sumiko S5 sub, Teac UD-503 DAC, Carver (modded) C-9
    Back-up 2 - Onkyo TX-NR797, Panasonic DP-UB820, Vansevers cond, B&W P6s, PowerSoundAudio S1500 sub

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    ... the 70's had Rock that carried the vibe like Bob Seber, Van Morrison. This type of Rock may have become arena Rock but you can say that about any decade, there were always concerts...
    In your mind, sure, and I suspect we all have our own categorization systems for musical genres. As I said, though, what you describe is "arena rock", a specific sub-genre

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arena_rock
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Maybe you aren't familiar enough with Rock to get what I mean.

I wasn't alive then but love 50's R&R, the next decade had R&R, whether Elvis or Stones, the 70's had Rock that carried the vibe like Bob Seber, Van Morrison. This type of Rock may have become arena Rock but you can say that about any decade, there were always concerts. The 80's got a bit strange but there were still some Rock, less in the 90's and I can't think of much that carries the same torch in the 2k's.

Although I feel the main vein of R&R is dead, my music collection has always grown and still does. That's not the point. Like most of you I've found good music in other areas.

As stated above, each decade has has someone to fill the R&R shoes up until about 2k. Most of you missed the point, I didn't say music was dead, I said Rock & Roll is dead. I can't think of any bands who picked up the torch.

I can't remember which app for Tidal I was using but Rock is Rock/Indie now, it doesn't even have it's own genre heading.

Each decade of Rock does have bands that brings something original to add. Maybe it could be argued that Rock isn't dead, it's just not recognizeable, like Country today. If someone was in a coma in the 80's and woke up today they wouldn't recognize Country on the radio dial.

One big difference, Classic Rock is still played, where "classic" any other genre if played is rare.

More evidence of death, most popular Rock bands have cover bands that tour and make money playing the other bands music and in many instances try to look like the band. Sure people do what it takes to make money but if Rock wasn't dead, if Rock still had working bands who picked up the torch we wouldn't need cover bands or the old bands touring in their 70's or promoters paying big money for bands to come out of retirement. Sometimes a band name tours and you are lucky one original member is still in the band.
    And perhaps to your point are the legacy bands still wanting/having to tour - if that did not occur, we may be further along distancing ourselves from passing the torch.

I do agree music is played for its contribution of the time in our lives and I am one who has not tired myself of playing Hendrix, Stones, Beatles as our systems make it sound even better than it did before despite a lot of those bands not recording well.

Perhaps we are all getting older, and cannot over power the influence of classic rock to the newer music of today - my son and daughter in there late teens have zero interest at least at this point in their lives despite my efforts to reveal the music I grew up with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

My new truck has a SeriusXM subscription, and I found the “BB King Bluesvill” channel, which I listen to frequently. There I have found a lot contemporary Blues artists that bring me closest to the rock & roll I grew up with. For a Blues guy that really rocks, listen to Joe Bonimassa.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobvin View Post
    My new truck has a SeriusXM subscription, and I found the “BB King Bluesvill” channel, which I listen to frequently. There I have found a lot contemporary Blues artists that bring me closest to the rock & roll I grew up with. For a Blues guy that really rocks, listen to Joe Bonimassa.
    I too have SiriusXM in my vehicle which I primarily use to listen to jazz because it's the only genre that sounds halfway like music over the crappy fidelity that is Satellite Radio. Funny that we have made so much progress in SQ over the years, but we went backwards in our vehicles once digital FM and Satellite Radio reared their ugly heads.

SiriusXM also has a Classic Vinyl channel which plays classic rock. They claim they are playing vinyl, but the vinyl has been digitized and compressed and it sounds just as crappy as the regular channels on SiriusXM.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Mep, I agree wrt sound quality on satellite radio. Serius seems to think bass should be boosted on just about everything, making the classic vinyl channel unlistenable in my truck. I prefer broadcast radio when possible but hate the constant commercials. Local jazz and classical stations sound pretty good, but most satellite channels — argh!

Apparently there are several levels of Sirius XM WRT sound quality, depending on the type of receiver your car has. So it can sound really crappy (64k) or only somewhat crappy (192k).

Blues rock is indeed a genre with a variety of current artists. Besides Joe Bonamassa, there is Gary Clark, Jr, Sonny Landreth, Tedeschi-Trucks Band, Robert Randolph and the Family Band, Gov't Mule and of course some old hangers on such as Buddy Guy, Jeff Beck, etc.
    Rob

What's the last few albums you've bought? It's Metal or Hard Rock I gravitate to, myself. I do like Prog and keep an eye out for something good. Chon is one of the more recent bands new to me.

I also like Tarja's new album. Former singer for Nightwish. Soen, Locust

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Good question. I guess Rock just got old, and few are interested in it. However, I know my tastes have changed. I’m 70, and have really developed a taste for Metal a few years ago. Now I usually buy 2 albums every week from HDTracks.

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

I looked up Arena Rock and it didn't quite match what I thought it would be. Our niece's husband is a partner in the entertainment architecture firm in London called Stufish. They are most famous for designing and constructing some of the best known major concert venues. They started in the early '70's with the original partners designing the flying pigs for the Pink Floyd Animals concert and they have gone on to do major concerts around the world, most recently, with the Rolling Stones current tour. We got to see the retrospective exhibit of their work with Pink Floyd through the years when it started in London (at the Victoria and Albert Museum) a couple of years ago, called Pink Floyd: Their Mortal Remains.

Here is an interview with Stufish senior partner Ray Winkler talking about working with the Rolling Stones for over 20 years of tours.

https://www.dezeen.com/2018/09/10/%E...h-ray-winkler/

BTW, Stufish redesigned Abbey Road for Deutsche Gramophone and our nephew is arranging a tour for me on our next visit to London this summer. Should be very much fun.

I was already in college in the mid '60's and heavily into classical music, so I missed the great rock bands (other than the Beach Boys and Elvis when I was in high school and the Beatles who came to fame when I was already in college). I wasn't aware of the groups of the '70's until audiophilia hit me in the late '70's and '80's and I bought DSOTM (of course the Japanese Toshiba Pro pressing) and the Eagles Desperado and Dire Straits Love over Gold, both in their British pressings because Harry Pearson said so. This was a decade or more after they had become famous. The closest I got to a contemporary group was the Moody Blues 'Days of Futures Passed' which my brother told me to get because it had a full orchestra playing in it.

This all changed four years ago, when I bought a huge collection (200 reels) of safety master tapes and the owner was a great fan of jazz and rock, especially Miles Davis and Pink Floyd. I found out that there was more to Miles Davis than KOB and more to Pink Floyd than DSOTM (although having 1/2" safety master of both is very nice). It also allowed me to trade dubs for tapes from other collectors, and I found my trading partners were much more into rock than I was. So now I have big collections of Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, Steely Dan, Fleetwood Mac, the Eagles, Supertramp, the Doors, Rolling Stones, the Beatles, Genesis, and even Led Zeppelin (which I still don't understand or appreciate). Almost all the albums are from the analogue era, so they were recorded and mastered on tape, although a few made it to tape from digital sources, like Brothers in Arms. Not sure whether Renaissance (first learned from an Absolute Sound recommendation of their 'Novella' album is rock (glam, arena or other category). Also have a bunch of tapes of Joni Mitchell whom I did start collecting in vinyl in the late '60's.

This all from someone who is in his mid-70's!

Larry
    Analog-VPIClassic3-3DArm,Lyra Skala+MiyajimaZeroMono,2xAmpex ATR-102,Otari MX5050B2, Merrill Trident Tape Preamp, Herron VTPH-2A&BottleheadPhonoPre,
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicroso nicsModel2 AD
    Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC Roon/HQPlayer,Oppo105
    Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-512 Engineering Tim Marutani Symmetrical Power IsoTrans and cables,AudioDiskVinylCleaner,
    Music-2.3KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,60TBripped files

I am not sure I even know how to define Rock n Roll. Very little of Elvis’s music would be considered rock. Same with the Beatles as it touches everything from Bubble gum to really weird. I love Seger’s discography but today much of his work would be Indie Rock.

I like the comment that rock is as much a state of mind as it is a music genre.

Now back to enjoying the sun a trade winds here in Hawaii
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

From my perspective, I began listening to popular music (music that was not classical or jazz) in the '50's. So Perry Como, Eddie Fisher, Andy Williams, Patti Page, the Kingston Trio, and orchestras like Mantovani (Decca's biggest recording star for many years) were the great stars on the radio and incipient TV. There was Bill Haley and the Comets, Richie Valens, the Big Bopper, the Diamonds. However, when Elvis hit the scene in the mid-late '50's, that was a very big deal. Compared with my favorite singer, Perry Como or my dad's favorite, Patti Page, Elvis was rock music. When I was a freshman in college in '63, the Beatles made a similar splash (both incidentally on the Ed Sullivan Show) and that was also rock music to me (the albums that got us introduced to the Beatles, culminating in the movie "A Hard Day's Night."

Larry
    Analog-VPIClassic3-3DArm,Lyra Skala+MiyajimaZeroMono,2xAmpex ATR-102,Otari MX5050B2, Merrill Trident Tape Preamp, Herron VTPH-2A&BottleheadPhonoPre,
    Other-512 Engineering Tim Marutani Symmetrical Power IsoTrans and cables,AudioDiskVinylCleaner,

I also consider Elvis Rock, He fits the attitude test and some of those early songs rocked for the day, Jailhouse Rock, Blue Suede Shoes, even Suspicious Minds. He did sort of vere off into some Gospel and Country.

Quote Originally Posted by astrotoy View Post
    From my perspective, I began listening to popular music (music that was not classical or jazz) in the '50's. So Perry Como, Eddie Fisher, Andy Williams, Patti Page, the Kingston Trio, and orchestras like Mantovani (Decca's biggest recording star for many years) were the great stars on the radio and incipient TV. There was Bill Haley and the Comets, Richie Valens, the Big Bopper, the Diamonds. However, when Elvis hit the scene in the mid-late '50's, that was a very big deal. Compared with my favorite singer, Perry Como or my dad's favorite, Patti Page, Elvis was rock music. When I was a freshman in college in '63, the Beatles made a similar splash (both incidentally on the Ed Sullivan Show) and that was also rock music to me (the albums that got us introduced to the Beatles, culminating in the movie "A Hard Day's Night."

Larry

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

It may not be dead generally, but it is certainly dead at audio shows. Rare that its played. i have found many that secretly want to hear metallica or zep cranking on the uber systems. Its the quickest way to clear a room, however LOL.

Foo Fighters is a band that continues to crank out rock and roll. But maybe they are alt?

Aurender > Weiss > Audio Research > SoundField
    Oppo > Lexicon > Hegel > SoundField

I was asked by a vendor to help in his room at the California Audio Show this summer in the San Francisco area. The room featured Reel to Reel tape and I made up a couple of mix tapes to play. I used some of my master tapes and other 15ips 2 track tapes. I played the Doors Light My Fire, Queen Bohemian Rhapsody, Fleetwood Mac Landslide, Beatles Michelle, Getz/Gilberto Girl from Ipanema, Joni Mitchell Blue, and some others. We also had tapes from the Tape Project. Some classical, but mostly jazz and rock. Many of the audience stayed for more than an hour at a time, listening to the tapes.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    It may not be dead generally, but it is certainly dead at audio shows. Rare that its played. i have found many that secretly want to hear metallica or zep cranking on the uber systems. Its the quickest way to clear a room, however LOL.

Foo Fighters is a band that continues to crank out rock and roll. But maybe they are alt?

How much Diana Krall can anyone bare...

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

The Zu Audio guys seem to Rock out.

There are some decent recorded Rock/Metal albums. I was listening to A Perfect Circle, Heartless, and thinking it sounded good. I really need to start writing these albums down. I always think I will remember, then when someone asks about good sounding Rock I draw a blank, LOL

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Plenty of rock and roll out there since the 70s/80s.

Radiohead (gen x version of the Beatles)
    Muse
    Foals
    Tame Impala
    Foo Fighters
    Mumford & Sons
    Calexico

Probably 10 other bands that I can think of if given more than a few minutes
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Based on that list, yeah, Rock is dead, except for Foofighter.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    Plenty of rock and roll out there since the 70s/80s.

Radiohead (gen x version of the Beatles)
    Muse
    Foals
    Tame Impala
    Foo Fighters
    Mumford & Sons
    Calexico

Probably 10 other bands that I can think of if given more than a few minutes

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Go back a page and see the shout out for Greta Van Fleet. Rock and Roll is dead? Nobody told those guys.
    Doug

Different tastes prefer different artists.

While I like Greta,they are more trying to sound like Zep, than really having their own sound. But there are others who keep the genre alive, like e.g. Van Halen, AC DC, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Nirvana in the 80s/ 90s, and before-mentioned Foo Fighters, Chili Peppers, System Of A Down a bit more recently IMHO.

Rock had segmented into Metal, Electric Blues and traditional for a lack of a better word. Here are a few to check out
    Linkin Park, Foo Fighters, Samantha Fish, Three Doors Down, Popa Chubby, Gov't Mule, Kings of Leon
    Main System: Analog - Linn LP12, Origin Live DC motor and Controller, SME V arm, Benz Ruby H 2 cartridge, Wright Sound preamp. Digital - Intel NUC I-7, 16 gig ram, Jriver media center 24, Wyrd4 Sound 2V2 SE Dac, Fathom Hard Drives.
    H-Cat Version 9 preamp, ARC Reference 75 amp, Custom line source speakers - 10 SB Acoustics midwoofers, 10 Fountek ribbon tweeters. JL Audio Fathom f112 Subs
    Wire - T G Audio, Shunyata, Synergistic Research , Audioquest, Lewis silver foil, Duelund, Transparent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B. View Post
    Rock had segmented into Metal, Electric Blues and traditional for a lack of a better word. Here are a few to check out
    Linkin Park, Foo Fighters, Samantha Fish, Three Doors Down, Popa Chubby, Gov't Mule, Kings of Leon
    Thumbs up for Linkin Park, Foo, Three Doors Down, Kings of Leon. Add Chili Peppers, System of a Down, Volbeat.

How about some eye candy. Sophie does a lot of guitar covers. She has the chops and looks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go6t83nMuNg
    Main System: Analog - Linn LP12, Origin Live DC motor and Controller, SME V arm, Benz Ruby H 2 cartridge, Wright Sound preamp. Digital - Intel NUC I-7, 16 gig ram, Jriver media center 24, Wyrd4 Sound 2V2 SE Dac, Fathom Hard Drives.
    H-Cat Version 9 preamp, ARC Reference 75 amp, Custom line source speakers - 10 SB Acoustics midwoofers, 10 Fountek ribbon tweeters. JL Audio Fathom f112 Subs
    Wire - T G Audio, Shunyata, Synergistic Research , Audioquest, Lewis silver foil, Duelund, Transparent.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team