Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Data Analysis of the A/V Roomservice EVP vibration isolation pad

So...I've been doing a lot of studies in reducing and attenuating vibration in my audio rack lately. I've been doing comparisons using wooden blocks under 1 3/4" hard rock maple boards, using cork & rubber and Diversitech closed-cell foam and rubber anti-vibration pads under the maple board, and Herbie's Audio Labs Tenderfeet under the DAC, either on the maple board or just on top of the top shelf. So, far, I've found the best vibration attenuation by having the DAC sitting on the Tenderfeet just sitting on the top shelf of the rack w/o the maple board.

Well, the footers I just got, the EVPs from A/V Roomservice work the best, by far.

Shown here is a plot of the vibration imparted on to my Schiit Gungnir DAC (Gumby). The vibration is imparted by a home-made slide hammer dropping onto the top shelf my Sanus Euro II audio rack (which has shelves of powder-coated particle board), with the iPhone running Vibsensor sitting on top of the DAC. The phone is hanging off the DAC as much as it can w/o falling off so it damps the DAC as little as possible. The iPhone is measuring the vibration imparted as Power, RMS, using the VibSensor app. The data is plotted in JMP 14.

The red trace is Herbie's Audio Lab Tenderfoot footer under Gumby, and the blue trace are the EVPs under Gumby.

Wow. This greater than an order of magnitude lower amount of vibration imparted using the EVPs under the DAC vs. the Herbie's Audio Labs Tenderfoot footer.

Re: Data Analysis of the A/V Roomservice EVP vibration isolation pad

Now, check this out...comparing the stock rubber feet on my Schiit Gumby (green trace) to the Herbies Tenderfeet (red trace) and the EVPs (blue trace).

I will also be putting up a video of them on my little music box mechanism. They are incredibly quiet with the music box mech on top of them.

I listened to them under the DAC last night compared to the Tenderfeet. They made a notable improvement, the presentation and instrumental and vocal images were clearer and more focused, kind of like applying an Unsharp Mask to a photograph in Photoshop. This made the sonic picture "sharper" but in a very natural and accurate way, but not "over-sharpened" (this is why I used the Unsharp Mask analogy). Also, the presentation had a notable increase in perceived loudness, so I actually had to turn the volume down; I always find this a good attribute as it means I can hear more deeply into presentation at lower gain, which tells me that a layer of noise and grunge has been removed.

Oh, also, they are supposed to be even more effective under loudspeakers and turntables, devices that are maximally impacted by vibration and movement.

Will be ordering more of these, for sure. They are inexpensive and they appear to work very, very well.

Is there a pre load weight spec’d by the manufacturer of any of these items?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Main:
    Room: Dedicated 25 x 14 x 8 treated room | Computers (headless in utility room): Wkst #1 Ubuntu running lifetime ROON server. High end wkst #2 High end wkst running HQE image | Network rack (in utility room): Managed Fiber Switch, QNAP NAS | Endpoint: Fiber to SONORE OpticalRendu w/ LPS, Sbooster USB vbus2 |DAC: Lampi Lite7, Holo Audio S3 KTE, Aqua La Scala MKII Optologic | Pre: Atma-Sphere MP-3 Mk3.3 Pre | Amps: Pass XA100.5 Mono's | Speakers: Revel Ultima Studio2 (Townshend seismic posiums) with Dual PSA X15 sealed subs | Isolation: Components on custom roller bearings + compression springs | Cables: Wireworld Platinum USB / Analysis Plus PC / Gotham 4/4 XLR / AQ spkr / Revelation audiolabs I2s | Server Streamer: Aqua LinQ using HQP modules > I2s to Aqua La Scala

Office: Win10 wkst with Spotify or ROON controller > VDAC-II > VLINK 192 > Yamaha RX integrated > Polk audio signature Monitors >12" sub

Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    So...I've been doing a lot of studies in reducing and attenuating vibration in my audio rack lately. I've been doing comparisons using wooden blocks under 1 3/4" hard rock maple boards, using cork & rubber and Diversitech closed-cell foam and rubber anti-vibration pads under the maple board, and Herbie's Audio Labs Tenderfeet under the DAC, either on the maple board or just on top of the top shelf. So, far, I've found the best vibration attenuation by having the DAC sitting on the Tenderfeet just sitting on the top shelf of the rack w/o the maple board.

Well, the footers I just got, the EVPs from A/V Roomservice work the best, by far.

Shown here is a plot of the vibration imparted on to my Schiit Gungnir DAC (Gumby). The vibration is imparted by a home-made slide hammer dropping onto the top shelf my Sanus Euro II audio rack (which has shelves of powder-coated particle board), with the iPhone running Vibsensor sitting on top of the DAC. The phone is hanging off the DAC as much as it can w/o falling off so it damps the DAC as little as possible. The iPhone is measuring the vibration imparted as Power, RMS, using the VibSensor app. The data is plotted in JMP 14.

The red trace is Herbie's Audio Lab Tenderfoot footer under Gumby, and the blue trace are the EVPs under Gumby.

Wow. This greater than an order of magnitude lower amount of vibration imparted using the EVPs under the DAC vs. the Herbie's Audio Labs Tenderfoot footer.
    How about a picture of your home made slide hammer and your methodology for using the slide hammer?
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    How about a picture of your home made slide hammer and your methodology for using the slide hammer?
    The slide hammer is simply a 1/2" drive socket that drops down the unthreaded part of a bolt, onto the head of the bolt. The bolt is oriented vertically on the same place on the audio rack top shelf each time. A nut at the very bottom of the threaded section of the bolt serves as lock nut and a stop so that the socket drops repeatibly exactly 8 cm each time. The slide hammer is designed to impart the same amount of power repeatibly.

The slide hammer is simply a 1/2" drive socket that drops down the unthreaded part of a bolt, onto the head of the bolt. The bolt is oriented vertically on the same place on the audio rack top shelf each time. A nut at the very bottom of the threaded section of the bolt serves as lock nut and a stop so that the socket drops repeatibly exactly 8 cm each time. The slide hammer is designed to impart the same amount of power repeatibly.
    I wonder if measuring the effect of the slide hammer is equivalent to the vibrations an audio system actually experiences. Seems like a good test for footfall issues with turntables.
    Morgan

NEW SYSTEM UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Quote Originally Posted by MPW View Post
    I wonder if measuring the effect of the slide hammer is equivalent to the vibrations an audio system actually experiences. Seems like a good test for footfall issues with turntables.
    Hi Morgan
    I am just doing the best I can with what the "tools" I have at hand. I don't have an engineering lab at my disposal. If I did, I'd be doing full-on DOEs.

I'm simply looking for "direction" and then verifying by actual listening.

For example, the Diversitech AVP's were a bust. The EVPs made a notable and audible improvement.

I don’t see how they are related. We are talking about the difference between micro vibrations vice a mini shock test.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

I don’t see how they are related. We are talking about the difference between micro vibrations vice a mini shock test.
    I tend to agree which is why I asked the question. The test is being used to give direction before listening tests, but may give the wrong direction and rule out products that are very effective in dealing with the vibrations that actually occur when reproducing music in a domestic space. Just my guess without having ever performed any testing in this area other than with my ears, so take it for what it’s worth.
    Morgan

NEW SYSTEM UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I tend to agree which is why I asked the question. The test is being used to give direction before listening tests, but may give the wrong direction and rule out products that are very effective in dealing with the vibrations that actually occur when reproducing music in a domestic space. Just my guess without having ever performed any testing in this area other than with my ears, so take it for what it’s worth.
    All I can say is the use of the various footers is audible and order of which sounds best is concordant with the vibration studies. The Herbie's Tenderfoot sounds better than the stock Gumby feet, and the EVPs sound (notably) better than the Tenderfeet.

The force imparted by the mass striking the top of the audio rack shelf imparts measurable and reproducible level of vibration.

You can see here the vibration (resembling a ringing component) comparing the stock Gumby feet in red vs. the Tenderfeet in blue. The amplitiude and duration (time) of the ringing component for the Tenderfeet is notably less than the stock rubber foot.

The force imparted by the mass striking the top of the audio rack shelf imparts measurable and reproducible level of vibration.

You can see here the vibration (resembling a ringing component) comparing the stock Gumby feet in red vs. the Tenderfeet in blue. The amplitiude and duration (time) of the ringing component for the Tenderfeet is notably less than the stock rubber foot.
    You are missing my point. Of course if you are doing a mini shock test you will be able to measure the impact and how it varies with different feet. The problem is nobody is doing mini shock tests on your rack while you are listening to music. The events aren’t comparable.

You are missing my point. Of course if you are doing a mini shock test you will be able to measure the impact and how it varies with different feet. The problem is nobody is doing mini shock tests on your rack while you are listening to music. The events aren’t comparable.
    I don't agree. The experiments were to provide direction and led me to an effective solution that sounds better than anything I've used to date.

So with respect to MY requirements...its job done. And in that context, a success.

I don't agree. The experiments were to provide direction and led me to an effective solution that sounds better than anything I've used to date.

So with respect to MY requirements...its job done. And in that context, a success.
    Great news! Victory!

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Data Analysis of the A/V Roomservice EVP vibration isolation pad