Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

CD transport no dac required

Hi folks I’m looking for a cheaper transport as I’ll use my bryston BDA3 as a Dac. Looking for suggestions please and thanks

Re: CD transport no dac required

I think a really good one for the money is the Simaudio 260D CD transport (with DAC an optional feature)

A friend of mine uses his Oppo 105.
    He's happy.
    He had an Esteric K-03 before.

Via HDMI, you also get SACD that way.
    Vivid Audio - Burmester - Hegel - Marantz - Oppo - Pioneer 60" - Wireworld

Quote Originally Posted by bart View Post
    A friend of mine uses his Oppo 105.
    He's happy.
    He had an Esteric K-03 before.

Via HDMI, you also get SACD that way.
    Hi Bart,

Hope you are well.

Does your friend’s DAC have an HDMI input. Or is he using something like the GeerFab Audio - D.BOB Digital Breakout Box to convert the HDMI signal to S/PDIF (coax and toslink)?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rockport Lyra speakers; TotalDac Amp-1 mono blocks; four box CH Precision L1/X1 pre/power supply monos; CH precision P1/X1 phono/power supply; TotalDac d1-driver monos; Pacific Microsonics Model 2 DAC; TotalDac d1-12 MkII DAC with two reclockers; Kodo The Beat Turnatable with LT Schroder magnesium tonearm and Lyra Atlas cart; Taiko Extreme server; Kalista Dreamplayer CD Transport; Taiko Audio Daiza Platforms; Nordost Odin2 Power Cords and Analog ICs; 512 Engineering/Tim Marutani Balanced Transformers (30 amp for sources; 50 amp for amps); Rives designed dedicated room.

Quote Originally Posted by cmarin View Post
    Hi Bart,

Hope you are well.

Does your friend’s DAC have an HDMI input. Or is he using something like the GeerFab Audio - D.BOB Digital Breakout Box to convert the HDMI signal to S/PDIF (coax and toslink)?

Thanks.

i have the Oppo 105 and can confirm that it does have one HDMI input

Quote Originally Posted by cmarin View Post
    Hi Bart,

Hope you are well.

Thanks.

Hi Carlos,

I'm fine, thank you.
    I hope you're okay as well!

Just like the OP, my friend owns a Bryston BDA-3.
    This device has several HDMI-inputs.
    The Oppo can send native DSD over HDMI to the Bryston.

This way of doing saves you the trouble of having to rip SACDs, but I don't know how the sound of a ripped version would compare.
    Vivid Audio - Burmester - Hegel - Marantz - Oppo - Pioneer 60" - Wireworld

I have a similar setup to Bart's friend, except I have an Oppo UDP-205 hooked up to a Bryston BDA-3 via HDMI cable. I just wanted to clarify that unless I have set my Oppo up incorrectly, the DSD actually gets sent over to the Bryston as DoP (DSD over PCM). In the end, it is still DSD, just not native. The Bryston will light up green for DoP and amber for native DSD (which my Auralic Aries G1 streamer is capable of sending).

Interestingly, if I go into the Audio setup and force it to output DSD on HDMI (as opposed to "auto"), the on-screen directions indicate it is "native", but the little light on my Bryston still shines green, indicating DoP.
    Electronics: Pass Labs XP-22, Pass Labs X250.8
    Digital: T+A DAC 200, Auralic Aries G1, Sony UBP-X800M
    Analog: Pro-Ject X2 w/ Ortofon 2M Black, iFi Phono3 Phonostage
    Speakers: Janszen Audio Valentina P8, SVS SB13-Ultra
    Other: David Laboga Custom Audio/Shunyata/Audioquest cabling, PS Audio PowerPlant 15

The cheapest decent transport I'm aware of is Cambridge Audio at about $400.00.

Sim is a good suggestion. Bel Canto also has one but not sure of pricing.

Being able to play SACD would be nice.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Just a point of clarification regarding DoP vs. "native DSD" for those that might not be familiar with the differences or conversion process. DSD data can be transmitted in PCM frames with a header that identifies the data as being in DoP format. Once such PCM data is received by the DAC's receiver stage it is identified as DoP and then unpacked from the PCM frames to recover the DSD stream. The recovered DSD stream will be identical to the original native DSD which is then converted to analog as a pure DSD signal by the DAC. Some listeners have found that in a given setup native DSD may sound "better" than recovered DSD from DoP data, but if that's true it isn't due to a difference in the DSD data. One possible cause of a difference in the sound quality between transmission types could be due to some digital noise being introduced by the additional processing required to unpack DoP data into DSD.

The Audiolab 6000CDT has gotten universally good reviews and can be found from several vendors for under $500.

https://www.audiolab.co.uk/6000cdt/
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Thanks everyone I’ll be keeping my eye open on Canuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    The Audiolab 6000CDT has gotten universally good reviews and can be found from several vendors for under $500.

https://www.audiolab.co.uk/6000cdt/
    Yes, I’ve had mine for about 3 months. It’s exactly as advertised, error free, excellent uncolored sound, and at a bargain price for what you get. Only has one digital out (spdif) though. Incredible value and sound (w/the 47 Laboratory 4733).

My goodies, changes again, Still modest, but effective...(at least on my level).
    47 Laboratory Midnight Blue 4733, Audiolab 6000CDT, OPPO BDP103, iFi Zen Blue, Sparkler Audio S301B diva. Cabling: RCA, Linn Blacks,
    47 Laboratory 4708 speaker cables. Morrow Audio DIG3 w/KLE Pure Harmony connectors. DH Labs Red Wave A/C power (for the 4733) Yep,that's it. My aim is high, but sometimes I forget to wear my glasses...

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

CD transport no dac required