Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Volti Rivals - 3 months in

Volti Audio is a pretty small company that you don't hear a lot about but I wanted to sing some praises here after living with my Rivals for 3 months now.

For a few years I lusted terribly after the Vittoras (owning a pair of La Scala IIs) and figured those would someday be my end-game speakers. But in November I had the opportunity to grab the fully-loaded Rival show demos from Capital Audio Fest. Greg Roberts of Volti was an absolute star for personally delivering them to my home in Southwest Virginia and assisting with placement/setup etc.

I can honestly say (probably to Greg's disappointment) after 3 months of living with these speakers, through several different amps and electronics, that I now have no desire to eventually move onto the Vittoras, because the Rivals have pretty much proven to be my perfect match speaker. I have always been a big fan of the "live sound" of horn speakers (own Heresy IIIs, have owned Forte IIIs in addition to the LS IIs) and the Rivals are the perfectly refined combination of butter-smooth midrange and highs with fast, linear bass and that "live" energy and dispersion that I've chased with the Klipsch line.

It did take some working with amps to find the perfect match here - I've posted before about my experience with the Luxman tube amps, and experimenting with mono-strapped MQ-88uSEs. The refinement in these beautiful amps was there in spades, but they always seemed a little too polite with the Rivals, perhaps not the greatest impedance match for the Rivals and a little underpowered.

However with the Naim Uniti Nova, these speakers are firing on all cylinders. They eat up every bit of the 80wpc and deliver smooth, refined, lively sound that the Rivals seem to be made for. I know Greg typically shows with the lower watt Border Patrol amps but I'd love to see a direct comparison between a very refined solid state and the finesse of the BP integrateds he shows with. I do regret that I parted with my L509-X before I got the Rivals, because I've since wondered how the Rivals would pair with the Luxman's sweeter top end and dynamics. But the Uniti Nova seems to be made for these speakers.

The Rivals reach down to a very musical 32Hz, and only recently have I added subs to the mix. Currently using a pair of JL Audio e112s with the crossover set at 60Hz (and the Rivals playing full range) and the system even more like the "audiophile" version of a live concert - tactile, meaty bass that with proper setting is seamless and replicates the kind of house sound from a well-tuned concert hall - where the JBL bass cabinets hit you in the groin but the top end seems to float over the room in a golden halo of sound.

I only recently began using the Rivals as part of my surround HT as well thanks to the AV Bypass input of the Nova. They have a massive, dynamic sound that is larger than life and has put the home theater on steroids (put my Monitor Audio Golds out of a job). Just startling sound, is the best way to put it. Thanks to Anthem AVM 60's ARC Genesis, the sound is cohesively blended with total control over the surround soundstage and the Rivals are scary dynamic.

I know the Volti brand is a bit of a niche but I think they definitely deserve more visibility... Greg showed a new "Rival SE" at the FL Expo last weekend which I haven't heard yet but from the pics are the most stunning speakers he's built yet.

I highly recommend checking out the Volti speakers, and can definitively say that the Rivals are in no way a compromise from the much pricier Vittoras. The Vittoras definitely have their place in the right system, but the Rivals have proven to be the perfect fit for mine.
    PRIMARY 2 CH SYSTEM: Backert Labs Rhythm 1.3; Parasound JC3+ Phono pre; Luxman M900u; Pure Fidelity Harmony with Origin Live Illustrious tonearm and PF Stratos cart; Naim NDX 2; Naim 555PS; Innuos Zen MK III (Roon Core); EtherRegen; Volti Audio Rivals; JL Audio e112 (2); Transparent Super Speaker Cables; Transparent Super interconnects; Transparent Premium & High Performance power cables; Naim Fraim; Stillpoints Ultra SS; Symposium Ultra platforms; IsoTek EVO3 Sigmas conditioner; GIK Acoustics absorption and diffusion panels

Re: Volti Rivals - 3 months in

Congratulations! Glad you are happy with the Voltis. I’ve heard them many times at shows. Beautiful cabinetry.

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Super Moderator

Beautifully built, better than furniture grade musical instruments. I fell in love with the Vittora, but it looks like the Rival are the perfect size.

Congratulations on a wonderful setup.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Congrats! Volti Rivals - 3 months in

Congrats!

Volti is top notch!
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Are those your Rivals? They are gorgeous!
    PRIMARY 2 CH SYSTEM: Backert Labs Rhythm 1.3; Parasound JC3+ Phono pre; Luxman M900u; Pure Fidelity Harmony with Origin Live Illustrious tonearm and PF Stratos cart; Naim NDX 2; Naim 555PS; Innuos Zen MK III (Roon Core); EtherRegen; Volti Audio Rivals; JL Audio e112 (2); Transparent Super Speaker Cables; Transparent Super interconnects; Transparent Premium & High Performance power cables; Naim Fraim; Stillpoints Ultra SS; Symposium Ultra platforms; IsoTek EVO3 Sigmas conditioner; GIK Acoustics absorption and diffusion panels

Really beautiful speakers. To be honest I haven't heard of the company or speakers before today. But, they look incredible. I owned the original Klipsch Forte' speakers for years.
    Speakers: Magico S3 (23')
    Integrated:Gryphon Diablo 300 plus DAC
    Streamer: HiFi Rose RS150b
    CD/DVD: Oppo 205
    Cables: Cardas-Shunyata-AudioQuest-Supra
    Roon Core: sonicTransporter i7 powered with HDPlex 200w linear PS, running AudioLinux for Roon--Tidal and Qobuz with iPad Pro

Time is just a tool humans created to measure movement and record events

Volti definitely sound great. I always make a point to have a listen at Axpona to them and Sadurni when they are there.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

That is just great news that you have everything singing so well together! Thanks for sharing.

If your a fan, I bet some David Byrne / Talking Heads would sound wonderful AND Lively on your setup right about now Volti Rivals - 3 months in
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

Super Moderator
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Volti Rivals - 3 months in