iFi audio hip-dac: The Official Thread - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: iFi audio hip-dac: The Official Thread

If you'd like to know what Rafe Arnott of InnerFidelity had to say about our hip-dac, please (CLICK ME).
    The hip-dac is on sale now! Find out more info (here) !!!

Post Thanks / Like

iFi audio hip-dac: Tech Note #3

Actively goes where none have gone before
    The new hip-dac sports a dual-mono headphone amplifier with 4.4mm balanced wiring all the way to the amplifier.

The hip-dac offers balanced in/out to take full advantage of the growing availability of balanced sources and headphones. The hip-dac uses the W990VST analogue volume control with digital Cyberdrive control. For amplification, our own OV4627 amplifier chips (4 channel) are used to deliver exceptional sonic performance on-the-go.

This S-Balanced technology in hip-dac means that, despite the amplifier being single-ended, this delivers all the benefits of balanced wiring.

Why did we feel the need to develop this?
    Let’s take a look. The problem with TRS connected headphones:

The left and right headphone shares a single ground connection. This causes crosstalk and extra distortion. The lower the impedance of the headphone, the worse the problem. IEMs, in particular, are heavily affected.

Balanced connection (can be TRRS though here shown with XLR):

Left and right ‘negative’ are separate, the negative connection runs all the way to the separate amplifiers and no crosstalk/distortion happens.

Balanced output Amp:

The second amplifier doubles both signal levels and noise/distortion, and so, such a balanced amplifier has more output but also MORE noise and distortion than an unbalanced amplifier. This perversely makes such a balanced connection LESS

IDEALY-SUITED for IEMs. However, a dedicated negative wire per channel makes sure there is no crosstalk between the channels.

Plugging in unbalanced headphones with a TRS connector instead of TRRS will not be compatible, it will cause distorted sound and may damage the amplifier.

Post Thanks / Like

How do you know if your headphones match your DAC/Amp? iFi's Headphone Calculator is here to help!

The hip-dac is now available on the Headphone Calculator!

(CLICK ME)

Post Thanks / Like

“I’m getting goosebumps just thinking about how well that combination of the hip-dac and the (Audeze) LCD-1 was rocking my world.”

Thank you for this fantastic review Steve Guttenberg!

Post Thanks / Like

iFi audio hip-dac: Tech Note #4

The S-Balanced Solution
    (As found in xCAN, xDSD and nano iDSD BL)

No second amplifier is used, neither are extra signal, noise, nor distortion added - perfect for sensitive IEMs. Further including the iEMatch technology extends compatibility with ultra-sensitive IEMs. A dedicated negative wire per channel all the way to each channel ’s amplifier ’s star-ground makes sure there is no crosstalk between the channels.

Plugging in unbalanced headphones with a TRS connector instead of TRRS will cause zero issues and, in fact, will still cut crosstalk by 50%, compared to using a TRS socket.

S-Balanced output works on TRS & TRRS headphones

It is fully compatible with and supports balanced wired headphones on TRRS 3.5mm and the Chinese 3.5PRO balanced wiring standard maintaining the channel separation. That is, after all, the point of S-Balanced.

It can also use 3.5mm TRS connections without problems.

‘S-Balanced ’ is short for ‘Single-Ended Compatible Balanced’ https://www.head-fi.org/threads/some...ug-wiring-for- balanced-audio.875730/

We are compatible with Hifiman/LHLabs/3.5PRO/OPPO PM3 in the above on 3.5mm S-Balanced.

Balanced wiring delivers the full benefits with lower noise and distortion (and lower output) than other balanced circuitry and is transparently compatible with TRS unbalanced headphones and headphones with microphones making sure neither Amp nor Headphone can be damaged.

Which is why ‘S-Balanced ’ is so awesome and could only be invented by a Nicola Tesla level genius.

• Compatible with A&K/FiiO on 2.5mm Balanced
    • Compatible with any 2.5mm Balanced equipped product compatible with A&K/FiiO

The key to the S-Balanced advantage is to understand the following:

• A balanced output includes two separate amplifiers
    • All else being equal, two amplifiers contribute both noise and distortion
    • Due the laws underpinning this, the output noise of the two balanced amplifiers MUST be at least 3dB greater (1.4 times) than that of the single amplifier
    • The odd order (unpleasant or disharmonic) distortion of the two amplifiers for the same level on each amplifier summed will also be at least 3dB greater than the single amplifier.

With S-Balanced and XBass, we have pretty much game-changing tech. All the benefits of balanced, with none of the drawbacks.

XBass

XBass is there for open-back headphones or just those tracks that ‘miss that bit of bass’. By now, customers are familiar with the Analogue Signal Processing circuit that was developed in-house for our own use.

Premium audiophile parts

TDK high stability C0G surface mounted capacitors - C0G dielectric close to Teflon in key areas that affect the smoothest sonics.

As you can see, the hip-dac really is one of those products that looks spectacular on the outside, and sounds absolutely wonderful because of what it is inside.

Post Thanks / Like

Old Will got it right!

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps you should loan/give one to an audioshark member to review here. I’m not volunteering since I’m not a headphone guy
    MAIN SYSTEM - SST Ambrosia 2000 Second Edition Preamp and Son of Ampzilla II Amp, dCS Debussy DAC, Bricasti M5 Streamer, Aurender ACS10, PS Audio P3 Power Plant, Focal Sopra No. 1 Speakers, JL Audio F112 Subwoofer, Elac SUB3070 Subwoofer, 20TB Synology NAS, Small Green Computer i5/1TB SSD running Roon

HOME OFFICE SYSTEM - NAD M10 Integrated Amp/Streamer/DAC, Oppo BDP-103 SACD, KEF LS50 Speakers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Projectman View Post
    Perhaps you should loan/give one to an audioshark member to review here. I’m not volunteering since I’m not a headphone guy
    Thanks, I'll take your suggestion into consideration. On other forums we've been runing product tours for years, so this might happen here at AS as well!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2