Dealer Integrity
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dealer Integrity

Hi, if say, you was at a hifi store looking seriously to purchase, let's say speakers, you really liked them and was committed to the sale, and the dealer knew there was a new pair mk2, of this speaker coming out in 6 months, which will supersede the pair you are looking at buying, should he inform you of that ?, or should he carry one with the sale, knowing in 6 months time your purchase,would be worth 50% of what you paid, or explain what the deal is, and let you make up your own mind, maybe wait, or carry on and buy the pair you have your eye on, this could be in the thousands ££, but this thread is about integrity and not the cost,

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dealer Integrity

I always do - if I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, EMM Labs, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, Stein Music Products, Stenheim Loudspeakers, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

3. Likes Sean, CPP, Mechnutt, Alpinist, Ritmo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That is an interesting question. I am not sue if there is a simple answer. For instance he may know that a "MK II" is coming within 6 months but he may not be at liberty to tell anyone.

In your example the current model "may" be devalued by 50% off of the last MSRP but the newer model may have a somewhat high price too. The devaluation of your purchase would only come into play were you to decide to sell it and move up or on to something else. The SQ and value to you should not have changed.

I guess most of us would hope our dealer would give us a heads up but this might not be possible in all situation.

Good question.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata

Post Thanks / Like

hi, i understand what you are saying, but a dealer must know when the mk2 shipment is coming, they won't just pull up in a van full of new gear, also the brand would, i guess, want you to sell off most of the old stock, before the new arrives, but MIKE most dealers are not like you letting people see you and your dealership warts an all, having your own site, for customers , forum guys, and friends, well done,

6. Thanks Mike thanked for this post
    Likes Mike liked this post
    Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by greystoke4 View Post
    hi, i understand what you are saying, but a dealer must know when the mk2 shipment is coming, they won't just pull up in a van full of new gear, also the brand would, i guess, want you to sell off most of the old stock, before the new arrives,
    Donít be so sure. We usually donít know before the press does.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, EMM Labs, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, Stein Music Products, Stenheim Loudspeakers, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Post Thanks / Like

I had this happen with a dealer once. The MKII were announced before I even received my speakers. Dealer claimed that he doesn't know about new models until they are announced. I told him I didn't believe him - at the very least I'm sure existing stock was at a substantial discount - he knew one way or another. I refused to take delivery unless he adjusted price and would give me a fair deal to upgrade to MKII if desired (I didn't ultimately upgrade as I loved the speakers). He refused to work with me going forward which was fine by me.

Biggest lesson for me was don't buy anything that's been on the market a while from Jan 1 to the Munich show.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Don’t be so sure. We usually don’t know before the press does.
    That's such a horrible business model from the manufacturer. Not only does it piss off clients (and make them not want to buy future products from them) but puts dealers in a tough spot. There's no excuse for it - I know new models of TVs, for example, months before they are available so I can make an informed choice.

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Dealer Integrity

Quote Originally Posted by Bar81 View Post
    I had this happen with a dealer once. The MKII were announced before I even received my speakers. Dealer claimed that he doesn't know about new models until they are announced. I told him I didn't believe him - at the very least I'm sure existing stock was at a substantial discount - he knew one way or another. I refused to take delivery unless he adjusted price and would give me a fair deal to upgrade to MKII if desired (I didn't ultimately upgrade as I loved the speakers). He refused to work with me going forward which was fine by me.

Biggest lesson for me was don't buy anything that's been on the market a while from Jan 1 to the Munich show.

That's such a horrible business model from the manufacturer. Not only does it piss off clients (and make them not want to buy future products from them) but puts dealers in a tough spot. There's no excuse for it - I know new models of TVs, for example, months before they are available so I can make an informed choice.
    They donít tell dealers because word will get out and sales will stop. They want to clear out the older models to make room for the newer ones. If your dealer said he didnít know, I would believe it.

The constant upgrades is how manufacturers can stay ahead of Audiogon or the used market in general, which has killed more products than you can imagine.

Itís no different than the car manufacturers who tweak things every year. Designs are every 5 years, but new tweaks are annual.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for confirming that and the rationale. It's still tough if you're the customer who gets caught out. Not looking to sour any relationships going forward so will stick to my Munich rule - it avoids the problem almost entirely.

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Dealer Integrity

Quote Originally Posted by Bar81 View Post
    Thanks for confirming that and the rationale. It's still tough if you're the customer who gets caught out. Not looking to sour any relationships going forward so will stick to my Munich rule - it avoids the problem almost entirely.
    Psst...we are their customers too. I felt the same way when I bought a specific amp for the store and then it was immediately discontinued.

12. Likes Dguitarnut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

dont buy a product new when its over two years on the market. (roughly)
    you start to get good deals 2nd hand and mk2 is surely coming in a year or two.

great topic btw
    nagra cd, tube dac, psu, audionet humboldt, wilson tunetot, odin

14. Likes Penthouse-D liked this post

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast