Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Dealer Integrity

Hi, if say, you was at a hifi store looking seriously to purchase, let's say speakers, you really liked them and was committed to the sale, and the dealer knew there was a new pair mk2, of this speaker coming out in 6 months, which will supersede the pair you are looking at buying, should he inform you of that ?, or should he carry one with the sale, knowing in 6 months time your purchase,would be worth 50% of what you paid, or explain what the deal is, and let you make up your own mind, maybe wait, or carry on and buy the pair you have your eye on, this could be in the thousands ££, but this thread is about integrity and not the cost,

Audioshark

Re: Dealer Integrity

I always do - if I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

That is an interesting question. I am not sue if there is a simple answer. For instance he may know that a "MK II" is coming within 6 months but he may not be at liberty to tell anyone.

In your example the current model "may" be devalued by 50% off of the last MSRP but the newer model may have a somewhat high price too. The devaluation of your purchase would only come into play were you to decide to sell it and move up or on to something else. The SQ and value to you should not have changed.

I guess most of us would hope our dealer would give us a heads up but this might not be possible in all situation.

Good question.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

hi, i understand what you are saying, but a dealer must know when the mk2 shipment is coming, they won't just pull up in a van full of new gear, also the brand would, i guess, want you to sell off most of the old stock, before the new arrives, but MIKE most dealers are not like you letting people see you and your dealership warts an all, having your own site, for customers , forum guys, and friends, well done,

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by greystoke4 View Post
    hi, i understand what you are saying, but a dealer must know when the mk2 shipment is coming, they won't just pull up in a van full of new gear, also the brand would, i guess, want you to sell off most of the old stock, before the new arrives,
    Don’t be so sure. We usually don’t know before the press does.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

I had this happen with a dealer once. The MKII were announced before I even received my speakers. Dealer claimed that he doesn't know about new models until they are announced. I told him I didn't believe him - at the very least I'm sure existing stock was at a substantial discount - he knew one way or another. I refused to take delivery unless he adjusted price and would give me a fair deal to upgrade to MKII if desired (I didn't ultimately upgrade as I loved the speakers). He refused to work with me going forward which was fine by me.

Biggest lesson for me was don't buy anything that's been on the market a while from Jan 1 to the Munich show.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Don’t be so sure. We usually don’t know before the press does.
    That's such a horrible business model from the manufacturer. Not only does it piss off clients (and make them not want to buy future products from them) but puts dealers in a tough spot. There's no excuse for it - I know new models of TVs, for example, months before they are available so I can make an informed choice.

Audioshark

Dealer Integrity

Quote Originally Posted by Bar81 View Post
    I had this happen with a dealer once. The MKII were announced before I even received my speakers. Dealer claimed that he doesn't know about new models until they are announced. I told him I didn't believe him - at the very least I'm sure existing stock was at a substantial discount - he knew one way or another. I refused to take delivery unless he adjusted price and would give me a fair deal to upgrade to MKII if desired (I didn't ultimately upgrade as I loved the speakers). He refused to work with me going forward which was fine by me.

Biggest lesson for me was don't buy anything that's been on the market a while from Jan 1 to the Munich show.

That's such a horrible business model from the manufacturer. Not only does it piss off clients (and make them not want to buy future products from them) but puts dealers in a tough spot. There's no excuse for it - I know new models of TVs, for example, months before they are available so I can make an informed choice.
    They don’t tell dealers because word will get out and sales will stop. They want to clear out the older models to make room for the newer ones. If your dealer said he didn’t know, I would believe it.

The constant upgrades is how manufacturers can stay ahead of Audiogon or the used market in general, which has killed more products than you can imagine.

It’s no different than the car manufacturers who tweak things every year. Designs are every 5 years, but new tweaks are annual.

Thanks for confirming that and the rationale. It's still tough if you're the customer who gets caught out. Not looking to sour any relationships going forward so will stick to my Munich rule - it avoids the problem almost entirely.

Audioshark

Dealer Integrity

Quote Originally Posted by Bar81 View Post
    Thanks for confirming that and the rationale. It's still tough if you're the customer who gets caught out. Not looking to sour any relationships going forward so will stick to my Munich rule - it avoids the problem almost entirely.
    Psst...we are their customers too. I felt the same way when I bought a specific amp for the store and then it was immediately discontinued.

dont buy a product new when its over two years on the market. (roughly)
    you start to get good deals 2nd hand and mk2 is surely coming in a year or two.

great topic btw

Audioshark

Dealer Integrity

Quote Originally Posted by u-sound View Post
    dont buy a product new when its over two years on the market. (roughly)
    you start to get good deals 2nd hand and mk2 is surely coming in a year or two.

great topic btw
    That’s an interesting rule. But many brands take forever to come out with a replacement. Revel comes to mind. MBL too. I like the product lifecycle off Pass. Not too long, not too short. Dealer Integrity

While we all want new, then comes if you keep waiting other items are now old, and your back on the merry go round.

I look at from the mindset, at some point you have to get laid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Quote Originally Posted by UltraFast69 View Post

at some point you have to get laid.
    lol, yes.
    what you buy is lost (my own saying)

as for electro gear.....i always buy new at market entry. always unheard. only if i can get a topdeal. cash&carry without service.
    that is not the best way but its mine after 3 or 4 years i sell it with a big loss.

Anybody that buys new audio gear and is worried about how fast it loses value is in the wrong hobby. You aren’t investing money, you are spending your money on depreciating assets. It’s no different than buying a new car.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

well you cant ignore the fact of loosing. i think its necessery to get clear with that prior to purchase

Quote Originally Posted by u-sound View Post
    well you cant ignore the fact of loosing. i think its necessery to get clear with that prior to purchase
    You also can’t ignore the fact that you are purchasing depreciating assets.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

yes, we are saying the same thing with other worlds

i take it always as if i would buy a hamburger and put the value straight to zero

From a manufacturer’s viewpoint in a different market...we never released info on new products to our sales people or the dealer channel before we had carefully managed inventory and had enough new stock on hand to make the transition seamless. On one hand our sales people and dealer network would always dog us about the fact we hadn’t introduced any new products in two years and then would complain when we did announce and dealers had old stock. There is no right answer here except to enjoy what you have purchased.

More power to manufacturers who think about upgrading the field and have easy solutions for those wanting the latest and greatest.
    Tom

Audio:
    Amati Futura Mains
    Amati Homage VOX Center,
    Proac Response 1sc Rears,
    Three MC2301's for L,C,R
    MC 602 for the rears
    C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 77
    Nottingham Dais with Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation
    SurfacePro 3, JRiver, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

Video:
    MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
    Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 80, Rega P3

OnDeck:
    McIntosh MAC 4300v

Dealer Integrity

I think the game is more fun when having been at it for a while. At the beginning, when starting to build your system, the changes are more frequent, and the money just flies out of the window.

But when reaching a certain level, the changes become less frequent or at least focused on one part of the system at a time. With increasing experience there is also less need to try out everything new, as you already have experienced a bit.

My feeling is dealers are just in the middle of it, trying to balance their stock as well as they can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Dealer Integrity

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    I think the game is more fun when having been at it for a while. At the beginning, when starting to build your system, the changes are more frequent, and the money just flies out of the window.

But when reaching a certain level, the changes become less frequent or at least focused on one part of the system at a time. With increasing experience there is also less need to try out everything new, as you already have experienced a bit.

My feeling is dealers are just in the middle of it, trying to balance their stock as well as they can.

The bottom line is you have to have gone through the pain to learn how to minimize it down the road. LOL

I agree there’s no right or wrong answer. We do need to keep in mind that both dealers and manufacturers are doing business, not charity work. It is still your decision to NOT buy it. After all, the things we are buying in this hobby are not out of necessity.

Hi, if say, you was at a hifi store looking seriously to purchase, let's say speakers, you really liked them and was committed to the sale, and the dealer knew there was a new pair mk2, of this speaker coming out in 6 months, which will supersede the pair you are looking at buying, should he inform you of that ?, or should he carry one with the sale, knowing in 6 months time your purchase,would be worth 50% of what you paid, or explain what the deal is, and let you make up your own mind, maybe wait, or carry on and buy the pair you have your eye on, this could be in the thousands ££, but this thread is about integrity and not the cost,
    How is it that both you and the dealer know about a Mk II at the same time but it didn't come up in conversation? did you assume the dealer knew about a Mk II but was refraining from telling you (?) because he was more interested in off'g his soon to be obsolete stock? I'm trying to figure out if this is about mind reading or your wanting to paint your dealer as a disingenuous person.

hi, it's just a hypothetical question, about dealership integrity,

Even if it wasn't a hypothetical six months into the future is far to long for a dealer to have to sit on current inventory just to save a buyer a few dollars some time in the future. This subject was beat to death a few years ago over the Magico Mk II speaker updates.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Even if it wasn't a hypothetical six months into the future is far to long for a dealer to have to sit on current inventory just to save a buyer a few dollars some time in the future. This subject was beat to death a few years ago over the Magico Mk II speaker updates.
    The Magico Mk II discussion was about the length of manufacturer release cycles between models, not dealer integrity.

“Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

I have 2 dealers I have worked with pretty exclusively over the past few years and both have given me insight on occasion when a new model is coming out, and also when prices are scheduled to go up or down in the coming weeks. I also realize there are times when they just don't know and like Mike said, they only know as much as the distributors are willing to tell them. But yes I would be surprised and bring it up with the dealer if I spent a lot of money on something and discovered within a month or so that the model had a price dip or was updated/discontinued, etc.
    PRIMARY 2 CH SYSTEM: Backert Labs Rhythm 1.3; Parasound JC3+ Phono pre; Luxman M900u; Pure Fidelity Harmony with Origin Live Illustrious tonearm and PF Stratos cart; Naim NDX 2; Naim 555PS; Innuos Zen MK III (Roon Core); EtherRegen; Volti Audio Rivals; JL Audio e112 (2); Transparent Super Speaker Cables; Transparent Super interconnects; Transparent Premium & High Performance power cables; Naim Fraim; Stillpoints Ultra SS; Symposium Ultra platforms; IsoTek EVO3 Sigmas conditioner; GIK Acoustics absorption and diffusion panels

well, good dealer integrity would be at play if the offer of taking your speakers back in on trade against the mkII version with full allowance of what you paid for them perhaps ?

Regardless, you liked the speakers correct ? many a 'mkII' product is more about marketing than an audible improvement.
    Cheers ! …. Dave

None of this has anything to do with Dealer integrity... if you want to buy something then buy it. If you don't then move on or simply keep waiting for who knows what.

I always make the attempt to build a strong rapport with a dealer, which in turns builds trust and that in turn brings integrity. I've made some wonderful friends that way.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

if you know something, say something ...that would seem to be a good default general rule for all parties.
    viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | air tight atc-5 + atm-300r | clearaudio concept + virtuoso v2 MM | t+a dac8 dsd + kanjiroba diy transport + roon rock
    alp-tone audio analog cables | core audio designs plyKraft 3L | hifi racks ltd podium t5-iii

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Dealer Integrity