Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Remastered vs Original... thoughts

When it comes to recent recordings I usually prefer the remastered versions. But I recently ran into some remastered versions of very old music (original recording was from the 30’s) and I was not impressed. Music sounded clean, but it was flat, monotonous; there was no passion in it. Much prefer the old analog and noisy LP.
    Bottom line: it is not about the sound; it is about the music.

Re: Remastered vs Original... thoughts

Think that’s more a preference thing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Most remasters of rock / pop that I've come across are worse than the original, provided the original was made before the whole "loudness wars" phenomenon started. The remasters end up being more dynamically compressed.

Once in a while you find a remaster that is not compromised in dynamic range, but it seems rare. Maybe in other music genres there is more sensitivity to the material.
    Antipodes EX…Schiit Yggdrasil...Coda 07x…Peachtree GaN400...Vivid V1.5
    Intona Premium USB…Cerious Graphene Extreme XLR...Double Helix Cables Chaperone XLR...Acoustic Revive SPC-PA
    Torus RM15...Shunyata Alpha HC…Mad Scientist First...HF Reveal...XLO Ref 3

I subscribe to Qobuz for digital files and normally play music as it was originally recorded. I don't find many remastered files that I prefer to the originals. Unfortunately Qobuz doesn't always offer both types of files for a particular album.

As far as analog goes, I also prefer to listen to originals. I figure that it's how the engineer and the band wanted it to be heard. My thoughts on remastered versions are how one or a small group of people think it should sound to them.

My opinion only, of course.
    Doug

I don't think 'remastered' is always 'better'. Plenty of reviews thanks to internet to provide guidance on specific albums. Famous example was when Plant 'remastered' some Zeppelin album, then everyone realized his own hearing had deteriorated and the sound he thought was 'good' was really quite 'bad'. Also, there's the matter of compression in digital re-releases.

Quote Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
    When it comes to recent recordings I usually prefer the remastered versions. But I recently ran into some remastered versions of very old music (original recording was from the 30’s) and I was not impressed. Music sounded clean, but it was flat, monotonous; there was no passion in it. Much prefer the old analog and noisy LP.
    Bottom line: it is not about the sound; it is about the music.
    Doesn’t your post advocate for the opposite because you are complaining about the sound and not the music?
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Doesn’t your post advocate for the opposite because you are complaining about the sound and not the music?
    I am complaining that it is not musical at all. It sounds clean with no noises or scratches but it is sterile. The “remastered” music is devoid of the passion that you can feel from the old LP.

Quote Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
    I am complaining that it is not musical at all. It sounds clean with no noises or scratches but it is sterile. The “remastered” music is devoid of the passion that you can feel from the old LP.
    who likes noisy, scratchy vinyl? In all my years I never met a vinyl collector or music lover for that matter that intentionally listens to vinyl for the 'artifacts'. Your sentiments put you in a very small minority.

My experience regarding remasters is that it depends. USUALLY, but not always, an early original copy sounds better than a remastered version. The real key is often the original pressing and whether its "the best" original. For LPs I really love, I've been buying multiple "earliest pressings" some of which are from different pressing plants (for companies that used multiple plants). Often 1 is superior to the others. Even within a group of early pressings (e.g. RCA Living Stereo 1S stampers) 1 is often audibly superior to the others.

Vinyl is complicated...
    Analog source: AMG Viella 12; Ortofon Anna cartridge, van den Hul Crimson Stradivarius XGW
    Digital source: Totaldac d1-twelve Mk2 DAC, Totaldac d1-player, Totaldac d1-streamer, Totaldac Live Power supply
    Pre amp: VAC Master with phono
    Phonostage: ​Constellation Andromeda
    Amps: VAC 200iQ monoblocks
    Speakers: Magico M3 with MPods
    Cables: Synergistic Research Galileo SX speaker, phono, analog and digital interconnects
    Power products: Synergistic Research Galileo PowerCell SX and Transporter Ultra. Galileo SX and SRX power cords. Keces P3 LPS for cable modem and router.

i think when we hear pre-50's recordings they are not relevant to the Lp era recordings, and are more for an historical perspective of musicianship and not sonics. unless you are playing original 78's which is a whole separate case. so our expectations should be matched to the situation. there is no 'original tape' to use as a source to get a 'better' copy. they copy the original pressing.

in the modern Lp era (after 1952 or so) with modern tape decks doing the recordings (both mono and stereo) now the quality of an original pressing verses a re-issue is in play. and although results can vary, mostly original pressings in decent condition will be the best way to hear any recording. maybe 45rpm re-issues muddy that water somewhat. and certainly there are many re-issues sounding better than original pressings we might find. but that unicorn clean original will still be the holy grail. and when you are talking mono originals, they don't need to be visually in such great shape to sound fine, since surface abrasions don't harm the groove on those mono deep grooves. having a mono cartridge with the larger stylus size makes a difference on those. some really apparently hammered Lp surfaces can sound fine.

it's lots of work, and $$$'s, to find early or original pressings. mostly re-issues can be very good. there are lots of re-issue series that can be reliably counted on to have great sounding Lp's. so chasing originals is not necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by puroagave View Post
    who likes noisy, scratchy vinyl? In all my years I never met a vinyl collector or music lover for that matter that intentionally listens to vinyl for the 'artifacts'. Your sentiments put you in a very small minority.
    You misread what I said. I am talking about one specific recording not all remastered recordings. The voice of the singer was/is more real in the LP despite the fact that you can hear nicks and pops. The digital version sounds as if they ran the recording through some kind of software that rendered it lifeless. Yes, the digital has no nicks and pops but it has no soul to it.
    And just to clarify, I stream 95% of my music and rarely listen to LPs these days but I still have about 400 albums (I am not a collector mind you).

“I remixed a remix and it went back to the original” - Mitch Herberg.

Remastering done well can be great. I’m a huge deadhead, and the remastering of their concerts released under the Dick’s and Dave’s picks are always way better than the original SBD mixes circulating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Preamp/Digital: Meitner MA3
    HT Processor: Bryston SP3
    Amps: Bryston 14b3, Bryston 4b3
    Speakers: Kef Reference 5, Kef Reference 4c
    Sub: REL Carbon Special
    Power: Shunyata Denali, Bryston BIT15
    Wires: Wireworld Silver Eclipse XLR & SC, Ethernet - WW Platinum USB
    Other: Stillpoint Ultra SS, ISO-Acoustics ISO Pucks

-Kyle

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team