Am I Doing my new MC462 a great disservice?
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Post Thanks / Like

Am I Doing my new MC462 a great disservice?

I was living in Brooklyn Heights in the 1980s and purchased my first quality system from a man named Elliot of Innovative Audio. It was a Linn Naim system and I loved it. I still have the LP12 though itís packed away and hasnít seen daylight in many years.

When home theater became a thing, I sold all my audio gear and went 5.1 channel. I still love home theater but have rediscovered 2 channel audio.

having always wanted a McIntosh, I just purchased the MC462. I love it. Itís reinvigorated my living room which fell into disuse after we built an addition with a non dedicated home theater 2 years ago.

my LR thus has my old system consisting of a Marantz pre-pro 7703, a 7 channel Emotiva amp, a 75Ē Samsung and the original high end Oppo DVD player. Assorted surround speakers numbering 4 dot the walls. The 3 main speakers are Revel f208 along with the matching center. I have a JL Audio sub in there also.

with that background, hereís my question (with many more to follow).

Am I doing the new McIntosh 462 a disservice by using even pure direct on the Marantz as my preamp and SACDs in the Oppo?

if so, what preamp is recommended? I have never had tubes nor desire them.

I am basically satisfied with how it sounds but Iím sure there is room for improvement.

ty for now.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Am I Doing my new MC462 a great disservice?

Quote Originally Posted by MDJAK View Post
    I was living in Brooklyn Heights in the 1980s and purchased my first quality system from a man named Elliot of Innovative Audio. It was a Linn Naim system and I loved it. I still have the LP12 though itís packed away and hasnít seen daylight in many years.

When home theater became a thing, I sold all my audio gear and went 5.1 channel. I still love home theater but have rediscovered 2 channel audio.

having always wanted a McIntosh, I just purchased the MC462. I love it. Itís reinvigorated my living room which fell into disuse after we built an addition with a non dedicated home theater 2 years ago.

my LR thus has my old system consisting of a Marantz pre-pro 7703, a 7 channel Emotiva amp, a 75Ē Samsung and the original high end Oppo DVD player. Assorted surround speakers numbering 4 dot the walls. The 3 main speakers are Revel f208 along with the matching center. I have a JL Audio sub in there also.

with that background, hereís my question (with many more to follow).

Am I doing the new McIntosh 462 a disservice by using even pure direct on the Marantz as my preamp and SACDs in the Oppo?

if so, what preamp is recommended? I have never had tubes nor desire them.

I am basically satisfied with how it sounds but Iím sure there is room for improvement.

ty for now.

Mark
    Not sure, but there is nothing wrong with Marantz, but if you can find a 2500 or the newer 2600, it pairs well and is tube.

I think Mac used Oppo for their players, but thatís a ďthinkĒ statement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R with 4point 9 arm & Kuzma 40 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan DíAgostino Momentum Pre Amp and Monos | Boulder Phono 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Valhalla 2/Odin: power, interconnects & speaker | Ansuz: C2 power & interconnect | Audioquest Diamond RJ45ís
    Power: Nordost QRT series | Furutech FP55SN cable from 20 amp breakers within a grounded sub panel to Furutech GTX D NSF packages | Keces P3 & P8 | Surge Guard at Main Panel | ADD POWR series
    Other: HRS M3X | Stillpoints Ultra 6, SS & Mini | Nordost Sort Cones TC & BC | AQ Vox SE switch | etherREGEN | Gigafoil v4 | Vicoustics | Audio Desk Systeme - Glšss

3. Likes MDJAK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Which DAC are you using, Oppo or internal Marantz? Just curious if you've compared.

I don't know about disservice but a dedicated stereo preamp would be a place to upgrade. If you still do HT you can run the Marantz left/right preamp outs into a bypass on the stereo preamp.

I personally would try to use a preamp that is similar is signature to the Mac, if not Mac, then perhaps a Conrad Johnson or Pass. Not that these brands sound alike, they are just on a more musical or romantic side of things.

Another area I would look at, and, probably for me, even before a preamp. I know people like the Oppo but I think you could improve on that for playback. Not sure your budget, Levinson just came out with the 5105 which streams and plays SACD for around $5k. Somewhere on the forum there is a thread about who still makes a SACD player, you can get some more ideas there.

Or, maybe just adding a DAC if the Oppo can output the SACD higher resolution.
    Aurender ACS10 w/AQ Diamond,
    Mark Levinson #526 & 532h, JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    All Clarus Crimson cabling, AC to binding post. Surgex
    HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Which DAC are you using, Oppo or internal Marantz? Just curious if you've compared.

I don't know about disservice but a dedicated stereo preamp would be a place to upgrade. If you still do HT you can run the Marantz left/right preamp outs into a bypass on the stereo preamp.

I personally would try to use a preamp that is similar is signature to the Mac, if not Mac, then perhaps a Conrad Johnson or Pass. Not that these brands sound alike, they are just on a more musical or romantic side of things.

Another area I would look at, and, probably for me, even before a preamp. I know people like the Oppo but I think you could improve on that for playback. Not sure your budget, Levinson just came out with the 5105 which streams and plays SACD for around $5k. Somewhere on the forum there is a thread about who still makes a SACD player, you can get some more ideas there.

Or, maybe just adding a DAC if the Oppo can output the SACD higher resolution.
    wow. I very much appreciate your and other replies. Unfortunately, your questions are beyond my ken.

when you say which DAC am I using, I don’t know the answer. I have my Oppo connected to the Marantz with hdmi and I just put the disc in and hit play.

as for my budget, I just busted it with the purchase of the 462. I will be back looking for a preamp though when I replenish my coffers.

Post Thanks / Like

If the Oppo is outputting audio via HDMI then chances are you are using the Marantz's DAC. If you want to use the Oppo's DAC then output the audio from the SE or XLR outputs of the Oppo to an Audio input on the Marantz and turn audio via HDMI off in the Oppo.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Nuprime CDT-8, Auralic Aries G1, Aqua La Voce S3, Supratek Chardonnay, Van Alstine Vision SET 400, Verity Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC's , Triode Wire Lab PC', USB & SC's, PS Audio Stellar P3, PI Audio Uberbuss, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Teac NT-505, Audia Flight FL Three S, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Audio Sensibility SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MDJAK View Post
    wow. I very much appreciate your and other replies. Unfortunately, your questions are beyond my ken.

when you say which DAC am I using, I don’t know the answer. I have my Oppo connected to the Marantz with hdmi and I just put the disc in and hit play.

*> OK, you can have some fun. AS you have it now the Oppo is sending digital to the Marantz via the HDMI, the DAC (digital to analog converter) inside the Marantz is converting the signal to analog. Which is therefore passed along to the amp etc.

So what you can try is hooking the Oppo's analog output, (RCA jack L/R) into one of the Marantz analog inputs, like CD or AUX. This type of hook up is converting the digital to analog inside the Oppo using it's internal DAC, then will pass the analog to the Marantz. This may or may not provide better sound but it's worth experimenting with. It will depend on which unit has the better sounding analog signal.

as for my budget, I just busted it with the purchase of the 462. I will be back looking for a preamp though when I replenish my coffers.
    *> I'm not very familiar with the operation of the Oppo but I believe it has variable outputs, meaning if using them the Oppo has a volume control. If you know how to use this, it may be fun to hook the Oppo directly to the Mac to see how that set up sounds. You'd be bypassing a preamp and using the Oppo's volume control.

Iff the rack and area are cramped this all may be a pain. However, it could be a way to see if any improvement in sound could be had with what you already have.

Of course if still watching movies this could also cause some decision making

Feel free if I need to clarify anything, we all had to start at the beginning and I don't mind helping when I can.
    Aurender ACS10 w/AQ Diamond,
    Mark Levinson #526 & 532h, JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    All Clarus Crimson cabling, AC to binding post. Surgex
    HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP