Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: Speaker cables

Speaker cables

Currently I use AQ Rocket 88 speaker cables. However I am thinking of upgrading these. The logical step would be AQ Robin Hood zero or Willem Tell zero. I think the 88 sometimes is bit too laid back. But not 100% sure if it is the cable. I could use a bit more brightness.

But since most of my cables are by Ansuz, the P2 would also be an option.

See signature for system.

What would be the best step? Or should I jut keep my Rocket 88 and stop upgrading?
    Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Ikeda 9TT Streamer: Aurender A10 Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 XLR Interlink: Ansuz A2, [B]XLR Interlink: [B]Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, X series Audio Rack: Rack of Silence 4 and 2.

Re: Speaker cables

If you are sticking with AQ, I really like the Thunderbird. I’ve tried them with my former speakers Wilson Alexias as well as with my current MBL 101E MKII. They are a bit pricey compared to the RH Zero or WT Zero but well worth the investment.

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Quote Originally Posted by Mordante View Post

What would be the best step?
    re-examine your room acoustics ...........
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
    If you are sticking with AQ, I really like the Thunderbird. I’ve tried them with my former speakers Wilson Alexias as well as with my current MBL 101E MKII. They are a bit pricey compared to the RH Zero or WT Zero but well worth the investment.
    The Thunderbird in 3.0meter length are €5.399,00. That is too rich for my blood and I think it would be overkill for my set.
    Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Ikeda 9TT Streamer: Aurender A10 Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 XLR Interlink: Ansuz A2, [B]XLR Interlink: [B]Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, X series Audio Rack: Rack of Silence 4 and 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
    I've been thinking about buying defusors for the first reflection points. Not sure.

+1. Hopefully the OP has done that.
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

Agree with this. Room acoustics and listening position/speaker position are always the first place to look. If you do decide you want to upgrade speaker cable, I can endorse the AQ William Tell as I just added these to my system to great effect. Also demoed the Robin Hood and they are excellent as well. Big upgrade from Rocket 88 IMO.
    Morgan

NEW SYSTEM UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I've been thinking about buying defusors for the first reflection points. Not sure.
    well, I don't know your room but normally absorption is used for first point of reflection. Regardless, spending silly $$ on wire to treat room / freq anomalies is just that, silly !
    Cheers ! …. Dave

True, if no room treatment the improvement can be dramatic.

I use Clarus, Crimson and they are very good, the background is dark, highs are beautiful, overall nicely balanced I'd say. I did find the more I added to the system the better they worked together for better sound quality. The Crimson series is really something special and I don't really mention them as much as I should.

If wanting to add more upper energy, or, finding you need it, I'd recommend Wire World. They are a good cable but In my auditions I do find they liven up the highs, nothing out of boundaries, or offensive, they just seem to highlight or energize that range..
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Currently I use AQ Rocket 88 speaker cables. However I am thinking of upgrading these. The logical step would be AQ Robin Hood zero or Willem Tell zero. I think the 88 sometimes is bit too laid back. But not 100% sure if it is the cable. I could use a bit more brightness.

What would be the best step? Or should I jut keep my Rocket 88 and stop upgrading?
    Invest in speakers not cables. Speakers and room should be 75%-80% of your system cost.

Quote Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
    Invest in speakers not cables. Speakers and room should be 75%-80% of your system cost.
    I don’t disagree with speakers taking precedent but those are some high percentages from the the standpoint on what you decide upon.

For example a $54000 set of speakers alone leaves $18000, and that will not allow one to compliment the speakers in this example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Hi all, could some suggest what speaker cable is matched with 804D3 if I am using Accustic Arts amplifier. Many thanks

I like sticking with one brand throughout, have you tried the speaker cables by your interconnect company?

We had a B&W dealer who sold Audioquest with them. I also like Analysis Plus.

Quote Originally Posted by hatateru View Post
    Hi all, could some suggest what speaker cable is matched with 804D3 if I am using Accustic Arts amplifier. Many thanks
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

I have Analysis Plus Black Oval 9 speaker cables (demos) that my dealer included with my Magico speakers, as the only cables I had prior were an old pair of Transparent bi-wires. These A+ cables are, IMO, a terrific high value speaker cable.

Quote Originally Posted by hatateru View Post
    Blue Jeans, Monoprice or Signal cable. Don't get duped buy ridiculous over priced 'wire'.All three of which I listed will provide you with quality cables at sensible price points.

How long of a speaker cable run will you have ? Cable gauge as it relates to cable length is a prime consideration
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Recommend if most of your cabling is Ansuz, staying with the same design philosophy is a good idea. Michael Borresen has a degree in mechanical engineering, was the key designer for Raidho Acoustics, is a co-founder of Ansuz and Aavik, and a key investor in Borresen Acoustics.
    Acoustic Frontiers Acoustic Design media room; Raidho D3; Boulder 1160; JL Audio F212v2; EMM Labs DV2; EMM Labs XDS1v2 (transport); JL Audio CR-1; Ansuz Mainz8 D-TC; Solidtech ROS; Nordost & Ansuz cabling & resonance control.
    http://systems.audiogon.com/systems/5013

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    True, if no room treatment the improvement can be dramatic.

I use Clarus, Crimson and they are very good, the background is dark, highs are beautiful, overall nicely balanced I'd say. I did find the more I added to the system the better they worked together for better sound quality. The Crimson series is really something special and I don't really mention them as much as I should.

If wanting to add more upper energy, or, finding you need it, I'd recommend Wire World. They are a good cable but In my auditions I do find they liven up the highs, nothing out of boundaries, or offensive, they just seem to highlight or energize that range..
    I changed from Wireworld Silver Eclipse to Clarus Crimson. I've compared the Clarus to Audioquest Thunderbird, Firebird, Oak, and Shunyata Alpha and Sigma speaker cables. I prefer Clarus in my system. The Clarus is very balanced, detailed, and has a great soundstage.

Quote Originally Posted by ricred1 View Post
    I changed from Wireworld Silver Eclipse to Clarus Crimson. I've compared the Clarus to Audioquest Thunderbird, Firebird, Oak, and Shunyata Alpha and Sigma speaker cables. I prefer Clarus in my system. The Clarus is very balanced, detailed, and has a great soundstage.
    Thank you for this, ricred1. Clarus Crimson is on my list, and most of the ones you compared are relevant for me. What are your speakers? Amp(s)?

Quote Originally Posted by GSOphile View Post
    Thank you for this, ricred1. Clarus Crimson is on my list, and most of the ones you compared are relevant for me. What are your speakers? Amp(s)?
    Let me just say, I don't believe in absolutes in audio, only preferences. My system: Jeff Rowland 625 S2 amplifier, Jeff Rowland Corus preamp, Chord Dave DAC, Antipodes DS GT music server, Monitor Audio PL500 ii speakers, dual REL Carbon Limited subs, Torus RM20 power conditioner, Wireworld Platinum series 8 XLRs, and Clarity Cables Vortex power cords. My room is 20'x26' and treated with GIK products.

Let me just say, I don't believe in absolutes in audio, only preferences.
    Very much agree.

Yes, you should. I recommend the GIK Acoustics Alpha 4A panels for this. They work great and are very affordable.

Let me just say, I don't believe in absolutes in audio, only preferences. .
    Agreed, to a point, but when those preferences fly in the face of common sense / proven science, that is when one crosses the threshold from audiophile to audiofool …….
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Audioshark

Let me just say, I don't believe in absolutes in audio, only preferences. My system: Jeff Rowland 625 S2 amplifier, Jeff Rowland Corus preamp, Chord Dave DAC, Antipodes DS GT music server, Monitor Audio PL500 ii speakers, dual REL Carbon Limited subs, Torus RM20 power conditioner, Wireworld Platinum series 8 XLRs, and Clarity Cables Vortex power cords. My room is 20'x26' and treated with GIK products.
    The fact you have the WW Platinum 8 IC’s tells me you already appreciate a great cable. Ignore the non-believers. A great cable is equal to a component change and well worth it. Taken from another perspective, I have customers who believe cables are the most important component in a system (excluding the room/treatments of course). More important than an amp say. I’m not quite there myself, but do appreciate how important cables are to overall synergy and bringing the absolute best out of the rest of the system.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Agreed, to a point, but when those preferences fly in the face of common sense / proven science, that is when one crosses the threshold from audiophile to audiofool …….
    I don't get into name calling; therefore regardless of individual preferences I don't call anyone an audiofool. People spend their money on whatever they like and I don't determine value, what's good or bad for anyone but myself. I'm here to share my experiences, not to judge.

Audioshark

I don't get into name calling; therefore regardless of individual preferences I don't call anyone an audiofool. People spend their money on whatever the like and I don't determine value, what's good or bad for anyone but myself. I'm here to share my experiences, not to judge.
    Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

I don't get into name calling; therefore regardless of individual preferences I don't call anyone an audiofool. People spend their money on whatever the like and I don't determine value, what's good or bad for anyone but myself. I'm here to share my experiences, not to judge.
    my response, while directed with respect to your quote was not directed at 'you' and I stand by my 'preference' of common sense / science as it relates to wire. Go forward, listen and enjoy !
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by GSOphile View Post
    I have Analysis Plus Black Oval 9 speaker cables (demos) that my dealer included with my Magico speakers, as the only cables I had prior were an old pair of Transparent bi-wires. These A+ cables are, IMO, a terrific high value speaker cable.
    I heard many good comments on Analysis Plus SC, may go to the dealer to have an audition to see if I like the sound.

A couple of days ago TAS published this review of A+'s top line Silver Apex speaker cable:
    http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...speaker-cable/

Audioshark

The Analysis Plus is fabulous. MSB strongly recommends it. We use it with all our MSB gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I have customers who believe cables are the most important component in a system (excluding the room/treatments of course).
    I go further. I believe a good cable can be more important than room treatment if you have a normal room, with normal furniture, with no echo. That´s enough for me.

I have a set of audioquest Robin Hood on there way. Was looking at the 88 series but that was a downgrade from my crystal cable piccolo. The William Tell were just to much to reach to. They were almost 3x the price for what I paid for these. Anyone have some listening sessions with these cables and thoughts. Thanks,
    bryson 4b3, BP26, BDA3, lumin mini, Focal 1027BE FYI. Maybe I should have saved and waited for the William tell who knows?

Yes would be great if Someone compared the Robin Hood vs William Tell. Going for bi-wire combo - but wonder if the huge price difference is justified.

Quote Originally Posted by markush View Post
    Yes would be great if Someone compared the Robin Hood vs William Tell. Going for bi-wire combo - but wonder if the huge price difference is justified.
    Hey all!

Just got my new Thunderbirds (Zero). Only had a few minutes with them but they sounded great. Was hard to do an efficient AB test against the William Tell bi-wires, which blew me out of the water when i first heard them (before that i had the Robin Hood bi-wire and i recall hearing a big difference there). By the time i disconnected and moved everything today, I'm not sure my brain remembered how good the WT sounded to measure up against the TB. Both sound amazing, but i'll be keeping the TB for now (until next upgrade, oh no!)

Anyway, what i wanted to tell everyone is that i now have a 3 meter (10ft) pair of William Tell bi-wire for sale at very (very!) good price. I also got a great deal on them as they were previously a demo pair for a European dealer i buy lots of AQ stuff from (especially power cords).

Feel free to email me

amyr

(at)

bezeqint.net

Shipping will be from Israel.

Peace.

O'

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Speaker cables