Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Noisy Incandescent Lighbulbs

I have been replacing incandescent light bulbs with LED bulbs in the house. It has been on a need basis instead of deliberate. While in the process, I noticed that several (not all) incandescent bulbs had a very faint high frequency noise. I switched those bulbs to LEDs and the noise went away.

I have a lot of incandescent lightbulbs in my music room so I am now going to check if I need to replace those bulbs now rather than later.

Re: Noisy Incandescent Lighbulbs

I thought / read that LED’s bulbs are inherently very noisy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Main:
    Room: Dedicated 25 x 14 x 8 treated room | Computers (headless in utility room): Wkst #1 Ubuntu running lifetime ROON server. High end wkst #2 High end wkst running HQE image | Network rack (in utility room): Managed Fiber Switch, QNAP NAS | Endpoint: Fiber to SONORE OpticalRendu w/ LPS, Sbooster USB vbus2 |DAC: Lampi Lite7, Holo Audio S3 KTE, Aqua La Scala MKII Optologic | Pre: Atma-Sphere MP-3 Mk3.3 Pre / Pass Labs XP-22 | Amps: Pass XA100.5 Mono's | Speakers: Revel Ultima Studio2 (Townshend seismic posiums) with Dual PSA X15 sealed subs | Isolation: Components on custom roller bearings + compression springs | Cables: Wireworld Platinum USB / Analysis Plus PC / Gotham 4/4 XLR / AQ spkr / Revelation audiolabs I2s | Server Streamer: Aqua LinQ using HQP modules > I2s to Aqua La Scala

Office: Win10 wkst with Spotify or ROON controller > VDAC-II > VLINK 192 > Yamaha RX integrated > Polk audio signature Monitors >12" sub

Quote Originally Posted by Swisstrips View Post

That is what I had also heard. I would have assumed that incandescent bulbs would actually put more less noise into the environment than LED.

Note: I have replaced the can lights in my 2-channel room with Phillips HUE LED's and have not notice any impact on SQ. I just like the ability to adjust alll four lights individually via blue tooth.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

It is a high pitch sound. You can hear it when you get close to them. They all have dimmer switches which may be a factor, but with LEDs the noise is gone.
    I have 10 more bulbs (cans) in the room that I need to check.

The dimmers are where the noise is coming from. Incandescent bulbs (without dimmers) oscillate at 60 hz. You are fortunate the leds are quiet. Noise is their only drawback.
    Dan Santoni

Authorized service for (in no particular order) - Copland, Cary, Unison Research, Allnic, Modwright, Ayon, Hegel, Belles, Aesthetix, Coincident, Zesto and a whole bunch more

Custom Manufacturer of Blackdog HiFi.

www.dtsaudioelectronics.com
    www.blackdoghifi.com

Quote Originally Posted by Swisstrips View Post

This has been my experience. No LED bulbs in my house now, all fluorescent. Any dimmers need to be off. My EMI meter says 40 mV on each of my dedicated lines.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    This has been my experience. No LED bulbs in my house now, all fluorescent. Any dimmers need to be off. My EMI meter says 40 mV on each of my dedicated lines.

Ken
    The only fluorescent I have is under the kitchen cabinets, T5 bulbs on Control 4 switches - all else has been switched to LED, either bulb or fixture.

I can turn them on and off from my phone/iPad and you can hear a slight hum in the server only.

Think I’ll have that solved in the upcoming weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

I attended an audio show at a local hotel about 8 year ago and one of the exhibitors told me that they experienced a sudden improvement in sound quality when the lights were turned off. They went to a local store, replaced the CFL bulbs in the room with incandescent bulbs and had better sound. More than one other exhibitor at the show had the same experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post

Ken
    Flourescent are supposed to be the worst.

There sure is quite bit of conflicting information out there.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

A few years ago I used an Entech noise analyzer to check the effect of different lights on electrical noise. The CFL and LED bulbs were definitely the worst. I don’t recall which was worse between the two. Incandescents faired better if memory serves. I wonder if this isn’t another reason that our systems tend to sound better in the evening - fewer lights on.
    Morgan

NEW SYSTEM UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post

Fluorescents use ballasts which get noisy as they get old

Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Quote Originally Posted by UltraFast69 View Post
    Fluorescents use ballasts which get noisy as they get old

Yes. In my experience fluorescent bulbs are the worst.

I also agree that my room is quieter when the lights are off. In my case, that can be a result of having multiple dimmers on multiple light sources.

The dimmer switch itself or the lightbulb can both be noisy. I recently replaced one of the dimmers (a 22 year old dimmer) with a new one. The noise at the light switch went away. Still need to check the lightbulbs.

By the same token, a single incandescent light connected to a dimmer switch has no noise at either place so I am leaving that one alone.

Quote Originally Posted by MPW View Post
    I wonder if this isn’t another reason that our systems tend to sound better in the evening - fewer lights on.
    interesting , in our house we have more lights on in the evening ............
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
    interesting , in our house we have more lights on in the evening ............
    Ha! Let me clarify. I meant late evening when most are in bed with lights out. Probably has more to do with bourbon than anything.
    Morgan

NEW SYSTEM UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Quote Originally Posted by MPW View Post
    Ha! Let me clarify. I meant late evening when most are in bed with lights out.
    gotcha, not to mention later at night very often less noise overall on ones AC mains

Probably has more to do with bourbon than anything.
    ahhhh, the most important 'tweak' of the all Morgan !
    Cheers ! …. Dave

All fluorescent lamps use a plasma that illuminates a phosphorescent coating on the inside of the lamp. This plasma is a source of broadband radiated EMI.

CFL and standard fluorescent lamps using electronic ballasts have switching power supplies which conduct interference into the mains.

LED lamps have switching power supplies which conduct interference into the mains.

Incandescent dimmers use duty cycle modulation which creates high frequency noise.

I have all the dimmers in the house on one phase (leg) and the audio equipment on the opposite phase (leg) which helps mitigate interference.

All these devices are not built the same so I use an EMI meter to find and return led lamps that are noisy.

I have found Lutron dimmers to be the quietest.
    Tom

Audio:
    Amati Futura Mains
    Amati Homage VOX Center,
    Proac Response 1sc Rears,
    Three MC2301's for L,C,R
    MC 602 for the rears
    C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 77
    Nottingham Dais with Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation
    SurfacePro 3, JRiver, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

Video:
    MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
    Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 80, Rega P3

OnDeck:
    McIntosh MAC 4300v

Quote Originally Posted by W9TR View Post

I have all the dimmers in the house on one phase (leg) and the audio equipment on the opposite phase (leg) which helps mitigate interference.
    Bingo !! ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner !!

Tom, agreed 100%
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post

Hi Jim,

I measure everything with the EMI Meter. My fluorescent bulbs produce minimal EMI. The LED bulbs I tried were noisy. But this was awhile ago. Maybe the new ones are better. Which LED bulbs do you recommend?

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

There are a few types of noise in lights
    1- dimmer it makes two kinds
    RFI and physical noise to the bulb and it’s self.
    2- bulbs old Incandescent bulbs are bad at acoustical noise the filament vibrates. A heavy duty bulb makes less noise as it has more supports inside
    led are both acoustical and RFI as well.

most systems have no filter for the RFI much less what’s going onto the power lines
    a balanced iso fixes this.
    there are specs on all ul listed products to help you but in the end it’s trial and error
    to me fluorescent is best. No acoustical or RFI I ever head.
    dimmer emit less acoustic and rfi.
    of you go led you Need a 4 wire system
    this means 2 wires 120 volt
    2 low voltage 0-10 volt to dim the leds.
    This is best it’s being used in my ausio room
    TUBEZATOR

preamp ML26
    amps ML No.33
    Infinity IRS-V speakers with Xover redone by Arie Nudell.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Noisy Incandescent Lighbulbs