Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Question Taking My System Up a Few Notches

First of all, let me start by saying I love solid state and I love tubes. For solid state I am running a McIntosh MA6200 integrated amp that is putting out 1000wpc. For tubes I am running a Jolida JD-202BRCthat is putting out 40wpc.

All my audiophile life, I fell into the group who believes better sound comes from more wattage. It was never mentioned that in order to get better sound with more wattage, they left the part out that there are other factors in play that help to achieve the sound you are looking for.

What if we concentrate on the other end of the spectrum by using a low watt power source. For me, I am looking into a low watt solid state amplifier and a tube preamp. If you go this route, you need to make sure your speakers have a high sensitivity of 90dB or greater. My current speakers are Focal 806V with Focal speaker stands are rated at 90dB. However, their recommended power is 25-120W. There are two speakers that I am considering

I am also looking into getting another pair, the Tekton Design The Perfect SET with a rating of 96dB These are a radically design due to the array of tweeters at the top. The output power rating is 1-300W.The dimensions are 41.5" H x 14.0" W x 13.0" D

The next set of speakers that are worth considering is the Zu Audio Omen MkII with a rating of 97dB, and the output power rating is 4-300W. The dimensions are 36" H x 12" W x 12"

The power amplifier I am considering is the Pass ACA. This little popcorn fart is a small amp that can fit anywhere within your audio. It puts out a mind blowing 8wpc. I have always been a fan of Nelson Pass and the work he's done for small watts. I am really excited to have an opportunity to get a Pass ACA.

Now comes the problem that I could use your advice / thoughts / recommendations. With the Pass ACA being solid state, I'm thinking about pairing a tube pre-amplifier. The idea of downsizing my audio system is very intriguing to me. Most of what I am finding online are the Asian tube integrated or a tube phono preamplifier. The only sources I will have is vinyl and internet radio. What would you think would be the right tube preamplifier? If possible, I would like to have some controls... Bass - Treble, etc. Balanced inputs would be nice but, I'm not sure if the amp is equipped with this.

Thank you for reading my thread, and I hope everyone will have some interesting ideas. With your help and if I play my cards right, I should be able to put together a very nice low watt audio system to be proud of.

This will be lots of fun!!
    Understeer is when you hit the wall with your front end. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with your rear end. Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall. Torque is how far you move the wall.

Re: Taking My System Up a Few Notches

Budget, as that list of feature requirements won't get you small or inexpensive. Don't know what sources you will be using that would require Balanced inputs.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Budget, as that list of feature requirements won't get you small or inexpensive. Don't know what sources you will be using that would require Balanced inputs.
    I'm not sure about the balanced inputs. Some companies have started including them on their components. The only sources I will be using will be a turntable and my network audio player.

Once this thread takes off, please be sure to post pictures front and back so I can see what the component.
    Understeer is when you hit the wall with your front end. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with your rear end. Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall. Torque is how far you move the wall.

The balanced inputs are less of an issue as some manufacturers will include a pair that are for convenience only and are not truly balanced. Balance controls can be found also it's the tone controls you may find to be an issue without paying a whole lot more than what the amp will cost. So a budget range is pretty crucial if you want useful recommendations.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

I made the monoblock version of the ACA when the first kits were released, and have Zu Omen Vs. I thought the sound was great. The DIY Aleph J, that I currently use, has a bit more grunt, and a tad more definition. The ACAs are in my office system, powering a smallish Tekton desktop speaker set.

I enjoyed the ACA, my first SS project. The sound is amazingly good. ACA kit is up to $327 in its stereo chassis. It’s out of stock at DIYAudio store currently. Not sure if you are planning DIY, but you could try an entry tube amplifier kit from DIYAudio store, or Bottlehead. The ACA shows up for sale in resale sites. I have heard good and bad about cheap tube amps on eBay.

Another low price, low part count, lowish wattage amp, is the “chip amp”, or Tripath. Kits and finished amps I have seen in the past. Seems like I have a modded one somewhere, that preceded the ACA at my office.

Your experiment looks like fun.
    Amplification : Modwright LS300 - Atma-Sphere "Class D" monoblocks
    Digital : MSB Premier DAC+Digital Director, Oppo 203, Sonos Port (W4S mod)
    Analog : Technics SL1200G, Boulder 508
    Speakers : Daedalus Audio Muse Studio
    Headphone : BHSE + Voce

Quote Originally Posted by Bones13 View Post
    I made the monoblock version of the ACA when the first kits were released, and have Zu Omen Vs. I thought the sound was great. The DIY Aleph J, that I currently use, has a bit more grunt, and a tad more definition. The ACAs are in my office system, powering a smallish Tekton desktop speaker set.

I enjoyed the ACA, my first SS project. The sound is amazingly good. ACA kit is up to $327 in its stereo chassis. It’s out of stock at DIYAudio store currently. Not sure if you are planning DIY, but you could try an entry tube amplifier kit from DIYAudio store, or Bottlehead. The ACA shows up for sale in resale sites. I have heard good and bad about cheap tube amps on eBay.

Another low price, low part count, lowish wattage amp, is the “chip amp”, or Tripath. Kits and finished amps I have seen in the past. Seems like I have a modded one somewhere, that preceded the ACA at my office.

Your experiment looks like fun.
    Thank you Bones. I do believe this will be a fun project, and hopefully this will be something I can use.

I knew the ACA had been discontinued but, I was fortunate to find one in great condition that I will be purchasing this coming Wednesday. The speakers are no problem, I just need to decide which brand to go with. The only obstacle in my way is the tube preamplifier. I'm not sure how I should approach this. Do I really want to use an Asian product. If it's possible, I would like to stick with American products. One viable option would be to see if Schiit has something that will work. I need to check them out soon.

I fall into the group that believes better sound usually come from better speakers .............
    Cheers ! …. Dave

I thought I would give an update on my journey. The Pass ACA will be arriving tomorrow. Now the search is on for a tube preamplifier. Phono preamp or no phono preamp doesn't matter and is not a game changer for me. What is important to me is that I can find a preamp that will have more than two connections for other sources. If this will cause the price to be higher, I may consider having just two. I am also looking for a pair of speakers that will be the ideal fit. The two I am looking at Zu Audio and Tekton Design.

Please feel free to make recommendations on the tube preamp and / or speakers. I am hoping to order the speakers within the next few weeks. Thanks for reading and offering your recommendations. The journey continues!

Erased duplicated post
    DPT4ME - Dynamics, Presence & Tone for Musical Engagement; MBP (3) - stripped down for music only; Shunyata Omega & Sigma USBs; ISO REGEN w/short Curious USB links; Berkeley Alpha USB; Aqua La Scala II Optologic DAC; Schiit Yggdrasil - fully updated; Ayre Codex dac - updated; Pass Labs INT-60 integrated amp; Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE-2 preamp, Quicksilver Mono 120 amps w/Tung-Sol KT150s; Quicksilver Mid Mono amps w/Gold Lion KT77s; Fyne Audio 703s; Symposium Svelte Plus & Ultra Platforms; REL S-812 subwoofers; Duelund DCA12GA speaker cables; AV Room Service EVPs, Stein Music Harmonizers, Duelund DCA16GA & 20GA ICs; Shunyata Denali 6000S/V2; Tripp Lite PCs; Wyred 4 Sound power cords; AudioDharma cable cooker; dedicated custom room; various GIK & ASC room treatments; etc.

www.getbettersound.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
    I fall into the group that believes better sound usually come from better speakers .............
    I fall into the group that recognizes that truly better sound ALWAYS comes from better set-up. Only then can you fully unlock your music.

Even though I've installed & voiced maybe 1000 systems (with most clients saying that it is/was the best money they ever spent on their systems), my statement is still IMO & IME. Not stated as an irrefutable fact, although I admit that I can't help but think it is...
    DPT4ME - Dynamics, Presence & Tone for Musical Engagement; MBP (3) - stripped down for music only; Shunyata Omega & Sigma USBs; ISO REGEN w/short Curious USB links; Berkeley Alpha USB; Aqua La Scala II Optologic DAC; Schiit Yggdrasil - fully updated; Ayre Codex dac - updated; Pass Labs INT-60 integrated amp; Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE-2 preamp, Quicksilver Mono 120 amps w/Tung-Sol KT150s; Quicksilver Mid Mono amps w/Gold Lion KT77s; Fyne Audio 703s; Symposium Svelte Plus & Ultra Platforms; REL S-812 subwoofers; Duelund DCA12GA speaker cables; AV Room Service EVPs, Stein Music Harmonizers, Duelund DCA16GA & 20GA ICs; Shunyata Denali 6000S/V2; Tripp Lite PCs; Wyred 4 Sound power cords; AudioDharma cable cooker; dedicated custom room; various GIK & ASC room treatments; etc.

www.getbettersound.com

sounds that you have unique knowledge.
    so what is it about? speaker placement?

Quote Originally Posted by u-sound View Post
    sounds that you have unique knowledge.
    so what is it about? speaker placement?
    You can get more info about Jim's experience, book, and services at his website which is linked at the bottom of his posts: http://www.getbettersound.com/

all i can see there: pay me to get any info.

he says that all the 1000 audiophiles systems sounded worses before he touched it.
    pay him or you wont know and your system will naturally underperform.

so i wonder, what is he talking about. speaker placement? footers?
    i simply wonder what is the topic.

@jim, i might sound harsh but it isnt meant that way at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Smith View Post
    I fall into the group that recognizes that truly better sound ALWAYS comes from better set-up. Only then can you fully unlock your music.
    I can buy into that...............
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Thought I would post another update.

The Class A amp made it home and I have to tell you, she is a thing of beauty for sure.

I've been exchanging emails with Eric, we decided the perfect pair for me will be the Enzo XL. Talk about making an entrance, the Enzo XLs certainly do that. The picture is for illustration purposes.

I'm hoping to order the speakers within the next few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by u-sound View Post
    all i can see there: pay me to get any info.

he says that all the 1000 audiophiles systems sounded worses before he touched it.
    pay him or you wont know and your system will naturally underperform.

so i wonder, what is he talking about. speaker placement? footers?
    i simply wonder what is the topic.

@jim, i might sound harsh but it isnt meant that way at all.
    I am going out on a limb here but do you have any idea who Jim is or his past experience in the audio industry?

I'm going to guess you don't, which is fine. If you search out who he is, what his past is and how often he suggests you spend money on equipment you will understand his post.

Look him up, I guarantee you will learn something positive for your system.

This is not meant as an attack on you just suggesting the is something to benefited from here u-sound.
    Synology 1019D+ - SGC Sonictransporter I9 w Roon/HQ Player- UltraRendu- PBD Stream IF to Playback Designs MPS5 via fiber optic - ARC 40th Anniversary Pre - ARC 610 T's - Martin Logan CLX's - 4 Martin Logan Depth i Subs - Shunyata Hydra, DIY PCOCC interconnects, speaker cables and power cords with Furutech terminations. Blue Jeans CAT 6's. Acoustically treated room with one permanent chair.

Buy Jim Smith's book. It's worth it many times over.

I wish you guys would take this elsewhere. This has nothing to do with my thread. I guess hijacking is the norm for Audio Shark forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbalouie View Post
    I wish you guys would take this elsewhere. This has nothing to do with my thread. I guess hijacking is the norm for Audio Shark forum.
    really ? you bought Jims book and think it has nothing to do with 'Taking your system up a few notches' ?
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Wow, that really is going from one extreme of power to another! Personally, I wouldn't find any fun in playing with such low wattages unless we're talking true high-efficiency, 99dB/Watt plus (both of the speaker brands you list have been previously noted for "fudging" their efficiency numbers). If you love tubes why not meet in the middle and try tubes with some decent power behind them, e.g. Rogue Stereo 100 or Cronus Magnum III?

I think you going in the right direction . Those Enzo XL's get great reviews everywhere and they kick butt even with low power . I have the Enzo 2.7's and with as little as 8 watts they really sound lively . Tekton does "overstate" their numbers , mine are rated at 96 or 98 db and my guess is about 90 or 92 . If you are handy the Transcendent Sound son of beast would be a good match , 15 wpc of OTL goodness . Their amps are really easy to build , I built a Mini Beast ( 4 wpc ) in two evenings . Crystal clear and noise free . The designer specs the noise as …….noise = cant hear any , pretty funny guy . Keep us updated .

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Taking My System Up a Few Notches