Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

What is Really Important...

1) Your room and seat location in that room. And that includes room treatments & good power.
    2) Your speakers.

It is physics, it is measurable. And both count, in my opinion, for 80% (that’s my ratio).

Everything else. And that includes electronics, cables, etc. is secondary.

Yes, everything matters. But not everything matters the same.

Concentrate on what is important.

Re: What is Really Important...

Quote Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
    1) Your room and seat location in that room. And that includes room treatments & good power.
    2) Your speakers.
    Come to my room at Flexpo and I will physically demonstrate for the umpteenth time, why the latter far exceeds, even negates, the former, unless pathological.

It is physics, it is measurable. And both count
    Yes, absolutely, but without correlating to perception, not meaningful.

cheers,

AJ

dude, while everybody has a room and a seat, there is no sound without your 20%

Audioshark

The room/speaker interaction is so important and with that, listening position.

Power second. Dirty power can kill a great system.

Source third. You can’t fix downstream what’s broken upstream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    You can’t fix downstream what’s broken upstream.
    Although a good Scotch can help

2) Your speakers.

It is physics, it is measurable. And both count, in my opinion, for 80% (that’s my ratio).

Agreed.

Time and time again I have found where your listening chair [and thus your ears] are located in the listening space is of incredible importance.

In order to get the best bass performance you need to discover where in the room to sit, picking a location that mitigates obvious standing wave peaks and dips in the bass.

This is objectively measurable (see my system thread) but also subjectively audible. One can hear the dramatic difference between smooth bass, bloated bass or diminished bass on a recording with repetitive bass just my moving the location of your ears during playback. Get the bass right and its amazing how much that can potentially improve the experience of the rest of the frequency range (above 250 Hz).
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

unless you are not listening inside a tube, the amp alone is 20%

After selecting the correct amplifiers for the speaker load being driven , room setup and acoustics is the 2nd most important issue to deal with, no amount of front end , fiddling and cables are going to fix a bad amp/speaker load selection and while everything makes a difference , IMO amp to load mismatch is the number one issue with bad sound ..

Exceptions being Open baffle designs Corrected with DSP and being driven by class D amps those are just horrible all the time ..!

In coming ..!

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_1282001 View Post
    Agreed.

Time and time again I have found where your listening chair [and thus your ears] are located in the listening space is of incredible importance.

In order to get the best bass performance you need to discover where in the room to sit, picking a location that mitigates obvious standing wave peaks and dips in the bass.

This is objectively measurable (see my system thread) but also subjectively audible. One can hear the dramatic difference between smooth bass, bloated bass or diminished bass on a recording with repetitive bass just my moving the location of your ears during playback. Get the bass right and its amazing how much that can potentially improve the experience of the rest of the frequency range (above 250 Hz).
    This is exactly right. Step number one.
    Morgan

NEW SYSTEM UNDER CONSTRUCTION

1) Your room and seat location in that room.
    ... And both count, in my opinion, for 80% (that’s my ratio).

Some people think quite differently.
    Some say that electricity is 50% of the sound (start at 2.20).

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post

Exceptions being Open baffle designs Corrected with DSP and being driven by class D amps those are just horrible all the time ..!

In coming ..!
    Uh oh.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Soundfield View Post
    Come to my room at Flexpo and I will physically demonstrate for the umpteenth time, why the latter far exceeds, even negates, the former, unless pathological.
    AJ, are you implying that the speakers / room are not tied together with respect to optimal performance ? and if so, 'negates' the room ?? as a general statement that is utter nonsense(again, if that is what your implying), my counter to you would be di-poles (planar / electrostatics)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    The room/speaker interaction is so important and with that, listening position.

Power second. Dirty power can kill a great system.

Source third. You can’t fix downstream what’s broken upstream.
    agreed ........
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Spock View Post
    Some people think quite differently.
    Some say that electricity is 50% of the sound (start at 2.20).
    I know. Some people also believe the earth is flat. It is a free country after all.

I know. Some people also believe the earth is flat. It is a free country after all.
    Oh no. It isn’t?

Quote Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post
    Oh no. It isn’t?
    What is Really Important...What is Really Important...

So if someone thinks differently from you, it's the equivalent of saying that the earth is flat ...
    You must have a terrible room (from an acoustic point of view)

My wife's grandfather was a 'flat earth' farmer who spent most of his life on or near his land. When he was very old, they took him to the beach for the first time. Upon seeing the ocean, he remarked, "Hmm, not as big as I thought it'd be!" (And indeed, if it really was flat, it would have looked 'bigger.') So from an audiophile perspective - needed a bigger room!!

2) Your speakers.

A question on picking the seat location first.
    Don't the room node locations change with the placement of the speakers?
    I certainly hear changes from a fixed seat position when moving the speakers.
    This leads me to believe that the room is being excited differently.
    Therefore how do you go about initially setting the speakers so that you can set the chair?
    My System
    Acoustic Revive RTP-4
    Innuos Pulsar
    Lampizator BALTIC4
    Cary SLP-05
    Pass XA30.5 or
    Line Magnetic 845ia
    Reference 3A Reflector's
    Pr SVS SB3000 Subs
    Cables & Tubes "subject to change without notification".
    Complete system on battery power/solar
    Core Audio Design Rack
    DIY bass traps and custom curved diffusors.

2) Your speakers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
    AJ, are you implying that the speakers / room are not tied together with respect to optimal performance ? and if so, 'negates' the room ?? as a general statement that is utter nonsense(again, if that is what your implying).
    I'm responding to what Nicoff stated, in quotation for brevity.
    I'm not an audiophile. All statements can be supported by repeatable, verifiable science...and demonstrable, unlike utter nonsense. Most will be oblivious to.
    Seating in room: https://www.linkwitzlab.com/Links/Op...rea-Davies.pdf
    Rooms mandating "treatments" (audiophiles, absolutely, yes, more the merrier)
    https://www.audioholics.com/room-aco...man-adaptation
    https://www.audioholics.com/room-aco...steners-prefer

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Iss..._audiofest.htm
    https://www.dagogo.com/3rd-2012-capital-audio-fest/
    A system that was both unusual and very good was that from Soundfield Audio, in Tampa FL. A.J. is the designer...He also likes a lively room and indeed, his room lacked any sort of room treatments. I am often amazed at the number of audiophiles who will spend tens of thousands of dollars on audio gear, but not a single penny on room treatments – often not even simple absorbers for the first reflection points. (This is true for both their home systems, and the ones they set up at shows.). To my ear these rooms usually sound like echo chambers, concealing much of what their systems are capable of. Much to my amazement, to a large extent this was not true of AJ’s room. It seems that the problem is not reflections per se but rather, that the off-axis reflections of most speakers have a very different tonal characteristic from the direct sound.
    https://www.audioholics.com/trade-sh...audiofest-2013
    https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2019/...le-you-decide/

Dave, I have no issue with folks treating themselves for all sorts of maladies, "Class A", digititis, "condition", etc, etc, etc. If that makes them happier, I'm all for it.
    I choose a different path and don't just "talk" (or type). Actions speak louder than words.
    Swing by, I'd be more than happy to demonstrate the science, not nonsense. Any time.

cheers,

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by jadedavid View Post
    A question on picking the seat location first.
    I certainly hear changes from a fixed seat position when moving the speakers.
    Therefore how do you go about initially setting the speakers so that you can set the chair?
    I would recommend reading the article in the link below by Jim Smith for a more detailed explanation (and Jim’s book Get Better Sound). The short answer to your question is that, while there will be some changes in low frequency response by moving the speakers, they are orders of magnitude larger by moving the listening position and won’t change much as speaker position is changed.

https://www.psaudio.com/article/loca...tion-location/
    Morgan

NEW SYSTEM UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Quote Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post
    Oh no. It isn’t?
    I have a brother in law that, though considered relatively sane by some in the family, honestly believes the earth is flat, the earth is only 4,000-5,000 years old and other odd things that have made many in the family avoid him and his conversations.
    Synology 1019D+ - SGC Sonictransporter I9 w Roon/HQ Player- UltraRendu- PBD Stream IF to Playback Designs MPS5 via fiber optic - ARC 40th Anniversary Pre - ARC 610 T's - Martin Logan CLX's - 4 Martin Logan Depth i Subs - Shunyata Hydra, DIY PCOCC interconnects, speaker cables and power cords with Furutech terminations. Blue Jeans CAT 6's. Acoustically treated room with one permanent chair.

The strength of excitation of the nodes/anti-nodes depend on where and what type of acoustic source they are driven by.
    So yes, placement of speaker, relevant to room/listener does matter there. A typical audiophile box speaker is a pressure source and omni-directional at LF, which will maximally excite every mode based on placement. What ensues is based on this.

Yes.
    Depending on speaker types, these are good general guidelines https://www.linkwitzlab.com/rooms.htm
    "General" because real rooms/domestic situations...and taste, varies.

cheers,

AJ

I know that speaker placement and listening location is important but,

- in 1st place you should say that to MBL! It seems they don´t care so much about it. Perhaps Mike could say something about MBL concerns about speaker position in a room.

- 2nd, and a little more serious, in my opinion, the most important and prior thing to do before all these steps that have been mentioned, is the fine decoupling of the speaker in relation to the floor. If decoupling is not efficient, in my opinion all conclusions about the speakers and about the room could be wrong. On the contrary, if the decoupling is fine and if we assure they are very well stable, the placement does´t need to be so “careful”. Different placement of the speakers always gonna give us a different sound. Sometimes is just a matter of taste. Or that or probably i´m just a lucky guy with a good room.
    Regarding the choice of the sweet spot, I follow the rule of the triangle between the listener and the speakers. They must be fyring directy to the listening position. Than some experiences in the vertical angle of them could help. You can do it easily playing with the height of the front and back spikes.

- 3rd, no one denies the importance of the speakers and their interaction with the room (I am the first to consider them the most important piece of gear in a system). But 80%? I would like the author of the topic to explain how he would spend the other 20% distributed by the amplification, source and the unavoidable cables.

- 3rd, no one denies the importance of the speakers and their interaction with the room (I am the first to consider them the most important piece of gear in a system). But 80%? I would like the author of the topic to explain how he would spend the other 20% distributed by the amplification, source and the unavoidable cables.
    The answer to your question with references to objective measurements is below. I agree with the author of this article.

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2019/0...-does.html?m=1

I know that speaker placement and listening location is important but,

- in 1st place you should say that to MBL! It seems they don´t care so much about it. Perhaps Mike could say something about MBL concerns about speaker position in a room. [...]

MBL do care! MBL North America frequently use room treatments and very carefully place speakers and seating in their show winning rooms.

Below is a photo from an AXPONA show. Even omnidirectional speakers can benefit from some diffusion whether its obvious stuff like purpose built diffusers or less obvious placement of fake plants.

Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

Audioshark

MBL recommends and uses diffusors from this company:

http://www.diffusor.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm...well, I don't think it can be distilled in such black and white terms. I think speaker placement, listener position, and room acoustics play a role, but for me, as long as those things are not silly stupid, I ignore them entirely. For instance, I don't place rear ported speakers 1 inch from the wall. I don't sit in far corner of the room when listening, and I don't listen in a room with glass walls and floors. Other than that, I completely ignore those items and I believe I've been able to achieve draw dropping sound over the years with various systems I've owned.

I do agree that of the major components that speakers are the most important to great sound. But, IMO, the electronics cannot be ignored. I think performance from great speakers with a Best Buy receiver would suffer greatly.
    System 1: Matrix Element M -> Sugden A21se -> Klipsch Cornwall 3.

System 2: Matrix Element X -> Exposure 3510 -> Heco Direkt.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team