Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Reference DAC (maybe Select II also) Display Question

We have our Reference DAC Display set to "On" and "Small" which means that it will show the Volume on top of the bit depth and sample rate. So, when playing a CD it will normally show "98" as the volume and "16 - 44k" as the bit depth and sample rate as expected.

While I have noticed that the bit depth/sample rate change to "0 - 44k" temporarily in between songs on a CD (using the MSB Reference transport and spinning discs) before going back to "16 - 44k" when the next song kicks it, yesterday I noticed something that was not apparent to me before.

Mind you, I don't normally look at the display other than when powering the unit up or placing a new CD in the transport, so the observation I will shortly describe might happen more than I think. Furthermore, I normally listen to rock music which doesn't tend to have any "quiet passages" during a song. However, yesterday I was listening to some Tudor court music (circa 1500s) which indeed does have silent/quiet passages during the actual track and noticed....

Observation: Whenever there was a break in the singing/music during the track such that there was a short silence (singers gathering their breath, etc.) the display would move to show "10 - 44k" or "11 - 44k" before quickly going back to "16- 44k". This appeared to consistently happen whenever there was a short silence during the track.

I found this odd since even if there is digital silence, I would think the bit rate and sampling frequency would still be "16 - 44k". I am speculating that maybe MSB's display shows the bit depth as the highest order bit that is set to one, but that is just speculation (and probably a question for MSB) which, to me, would be odd.

My question to those who have a Reference DAC (or a Select II) is if anyone else has;

1. Seen their display change to "0 - 44k" in between CD tracks?
    2. Seen their display show <16 bits with a 44k sampling rate during an actual track when the music goes silent for short periods of time?

Thank you.
    Front End: MSB Select II DAC, MSB Reference Transport, Magnum Dynalab MD107T, Aiwa AD-F990
    Amplification: Dan D'Agostino Momentum HD Preamplifier & Momentum M400 MxV Monoblocks, Crown XLS 2502 (x3) (subwoofers)
    Speakers: Scaena La Maitresse Ultime Loudspeaker System
    Cables: Shunyata Aeros Aurora-SP, Shunyata Aeros Aurora-IC, Jungson Golden Dragon
    Power: GigaWatt PC-4 EVO+, GigaWatt LS-2HCEVO, Jungson Pure Power, JPS Labs AC+, Transparent HPPC
    Miscellaneous: ​Bohmer/Legacy Audio Wavelet DSP/Room Correction

Re: Reference DAC (maybe Select II also) Display Question

Hello Anthony, congrats on the MSB Reference dac + Reference Transport + 33 Femto clock!

don't spin any discs, but listen to lots of 16/44 and other PCM and i have never 'noticed' any 'odd' bit values other than 16, 24 or 32. i do lots of files of all types, Quboz, and Tidal.

i have seen the '0-44' between tracks very occasionally; could happen more than i realize.

i will try and watch for this to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by laynesaddiction View Post
    We have our Reference DAC Display set to "On" and "Small" which means that it will show the Volume on top of the bit depth and sample rate. So, when playing a CD it will normally show "98" as the volume and "16 - 44k" as the bit depth and sample rate as expected.

While I have noticed that the bit depth/sample rate change to "0 - 44k" temporarily in between songs on a CD (using the MSB Reference transport and spinning discs) before going back to "16 - 44k" when the next song kicks it, yesterday I noticed something that was not apparent to me before.

Mind you, I don't normally look at the display other than when powering the unit up or placing a new CD in the transport, so the observation I will shortly describe might happen more than I think. Furthermore, I normally listen to rock music which doesn't tend to have any "quiet passages" during a song. However, yesterday I was listening to some Tudor court music (circa 1500s) which indeed does have silent/quiet passages during the actual track and noticed....

Observation: Whenever there was a break in the singing/music during the track such that there was a short silence (singers gathering their breath, etc.) the display would move to show "10 - 44k" or "11 - 44k" before quickly going back to "16- 44k". This appeared to consistently happen whenever there was a short silence during the track.

I found this odd since even if there is digital silence, I would think the bit rate and sampling frequency would still be "16 - 44k". I am speculating that maybe MSB's display shows the bit depth as the highest order bit that is set to one, but that is just speculation (and probably a question for MSB) which, to me, would be odd.

My question to those who have a Reference DAC (or a Select II) is if anyone else has;

1. Seen their display change to "0 - 44k" in between CD tracks?
    2. Seen their display show <16 bits with a 44k sampling rate during an actual track when the music goes silent for short periods of time?

Thank you.
    1. Yes. Shows 0 - 44K between tracks. Shows 16 - 44K at the start of track.

2. No.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lavigne View Post
    Hello Anthony, congrats on the MSB Reference dac + Reference Transport + 33 Femto clock!

don't spin any discs, but listen to lots of 16/44 and other PCM and i have never 'noticed' any 'odd' bit values other than 16, 24 or 32. i do lots of files of all types, Quboz, and Tidal.

i have seen the '0-44' between tracks very occasionally; could happen more than i realize.

i will try and watch for this to happen.
    Mike,

Thank you for the reply and please let me know if you notice any odd values. BTW: Congratulations on your NHB-468s (noticed on another thread). Sigh. You lucky man!
    Front End: MSB Select II DAC, MSB Reference Transport, Magnum Dynalab MD107T, Aiwa AD-F990
    Amplification: Dan D'Agostino Momentum HD Preamplifier & Momentum M400 MxV Monoblocks, Crown XLS 2502 (x3) (subwoofers)
    Cables: Shunyata Aeros Aurora-SP, Shunyata Aeros Aurora-IC, Jungson Golden Dragon
    Power: GigaWatt PC-4 EVO+, GigaWatt LS-2HCEVO, Jungson Pure Power, JPS Labs AC+, Transparent HPPC

All,

I reached out to MSB and they relayed that both items above are expected and normal.

The bit depth readout shows how many bits are changing in a certain time window. Since silence or quiet passages during a song have very few bits changing and silence has no bits changing during the window, it is possible to see a display of "<16 - 44k" when playing a CD/file (BTW: it is possible in high-res discs/files too). That is also why the display could show "0 - 44k" in between songs.

Thanks to all who replied as I initially wanted to see if anyone else saw this prior to pinging them.

The key is what bit rate and sampling rate are showing when music is playing. Congrats on your Reference DAC, it is really something special.

Enjoy,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Quote Originally Posted by laynesaddiction View Post
    Mike,

Thank you for the reply and please let me know if you notice any odd values. BTW: Congratulations on your NHB-468s (noticed on another thread). Sigh. You lucky man!
    thanks Anthony,

i do feel lucky every time i listen.....and never take the 468's for granted.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Reference DAC (maybe Select II also) Display Question