Sonos Announcement today 1/21/2020 - End of life announcement. Very disappointing ....
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Joe

Avantgarde Duo XD, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M, JBL 590.

Job INTegrated, Naim Supernait 2 w/ HiCap-DR.

Conrad Johnson GAT2, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2, Misho Myronov Wooden pre.

Misho Myronov Wooden amp, First Watt SIT-3 (X2 - one as backup), Job 250 Monos, Valvet E2se, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos.

Lumin U1 mini, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, Audio Mirror Tubadour III NOS R2R Tube Dac w/ upgrades.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sonos Announcement today 1/21/2020 - End of life announcement. Very disappointing ....

I’m not happy about this at all. I have 5 Sonos Zone Players connected to various 2 channel systems throughout my house.
    2 of them have had the jitter clock mod. It sounds like some day in the future they will stop working. I love the Sonos set up
    but they are not getting any more of my money to replace them. Even at the discount they offer. I’m looking for options for streaming my stored music and the streaming services I subscribe to. Any ideas for replacement gear?
    DALE

Main system: Shindo Masseto, Shindo Cortese, Devore Orangutan O/96, Thorens TD125 MkII by Artisan Fidelity, Ortofon RS-309D, Ortofon SPU Classic, W4S modded Sonos, Metrum dac, Shindo
    and Auditorium A23 cables.
    Second system: Leben CS300XS, Devore Super 8's, W4S modded Sonos,Metrum dac, A23 cables
    Garage system: Yamaha A-S2100 integrated, JBL PRO 3677, Sonos thru Cambridge Dac Magic.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sonos Announcement today 1/21/2020 - End of life announcement. Very disappointing ....

I have a few modified Sonos players and a few Play 5's. I'm not buying any more either. I would like to know what they are really doing.
    Joe

Misho Myronov Wooden amp, First Watt SIT-3 (X2 - one as backup), Job 250 Monos, Valvet E2se, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos.

Lumin U1 mini, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, Audio Mirror Tubadour III NOS R2R Tube Dac w/ upgrades.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Post Thanks / Like

There are a large group of companies developing products based on the DTS Play-Fi ecosystem that are all supposed to work together and support multi-room audio. Some of the same companies are the ones with access to the API for Amazon HD.

https://play-fi.com/
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Nuprime CDT-8, Auralic Aries G1, Aqua La Voce S3, Supratek Chardonnay, Van Alstine Vision SET 400, Verity Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC's , Triode Wire Lab PC', USB & SC's, PS Audio Stellar P3, PI Audio Uberbuss, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Teac NT-505, Audia Flight FL Three S, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Audio Sensibility SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve got a couple of components that support Play-Fi including a nice Anthem AVR. I must say, I don’t understand the thinking and attraction of it. I mean, I get that it supports high resolution audio. But instead of being able to play a local source it’s based on the concept of streaming from a portable device—e. g. iOS, Android, Kindle—meaning heavy battery consumption. Why wouldn’t you just want streaming from the main component, such as the Yamaha MusicCast products?
    Rance

Synology DS411+II | GigaFOILv4+Keces P3 Power Supply | Audioquest Diamond Ethernet | Lumin S1 | VAC Master Line Stage | VAC Signature 200 iQ amps | ARC REFERENCE 160M amps | JBL 4367+Isoacoustics Gaia I | SVS PC-4000 subs x 2 | Shunyata 6000T | Luminous Audio Technology cabling and power | Solid Tech racks | Vicoustics room treatments | ASC Iso-wall/Iso-ceiling construction

Post Thanks / Like

I have 8 Sonos devices they will no longer support. No way am I buying new for software updates. From what I can surmise, issues may arise from incompatibility with Tidal, Qobuz etc. My hope is that the app or ROON will still be able to stream from my NAS for years yet.
    Main system - Sonus Faber Stradivari, McIntosh C1100 with Stillpoint minis, MC2301s with Stillpont Ultra SS footers, Esoteric K-03X on Stillpoint Ultra SS, Cybershaft Limited OP17 Master Clock on Stillpoint Minis, Shunyata Alpha Clock 75 & Alpha USB Cables, Silenzio by E - Silent PC Media Server, GigaFoil v4, Keces P3, Supra Cat 8+ and Revelation Audio Ethernet cables, Synology NAS. JL Audio CR-1 crossover, JL audio F-113v2 subwoofer, PS Audio P10 (front end) Shunyata Denali 6000/S v2 (Amps), Power Ports and Noise Harvesters - Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker cables, Silver Eclipse 7 ICs and Silver Elektra 7 PCs, Vicoustics, GIK & Stillpoint Room treatments. Three dedicated 20 Amp lines

TV Room - Revel F52, C32, B&W LM1, McIntosh MX121, McIntosh MC7106, OPPO 103, Sonos Connect / W4S Remedy

Resting - Infinity RS IIa

Post Thanks / Like

Sonos Announcement today 1/21/2020 - End of life announcement. Very disappointing ....

I think Sonos is gasping for air.
    Amazon is aiming for their spot in the market.
    For a high-end option, look at Roon and Roon-endpoint components.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

It looks like if you have any legacy pieces on the network, the software level will stay at the last current version. They won’t kill it. You just won’t get any new features from any new updates. I’m okay with that. I could always separate the networks if I get the itch for a new piece. I have not been looking for any new Sonos for a while anyway.
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    It looks like if you have any legacy pieces on the network, the software level will stay at the last current version. They wonít kill it. You just wonít get any new features from any new updates. Iím okay with that. I could always separate the networks if I get the itch for a new piece. I have not been looking for any new Sonos for a while anyway.
    Yes, agree. But your resale value (if you care at all) goes to zero.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn’t think about resale on my Sonos. For what I use it for and and how I use it, it’s perfect and I have no intention of selling. I have to say my Sonos pieces are the only audio gear that have been with me from the beginning and aren’t going anywhere.
    Joe

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast