Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: Just Venting

Just Venting

I don't hide the fact I have a strong dislike for Best Buy. I want to upgrade my factory system in our minivan. In Dec. they were running some great sales and free installation on some things. Car audio stores must be hiding under a rock in my area, I did get one bid but BB could save be about 1K. The other place I did pick out more expensive speakers. So to save $1k I held my nose and went in

So around Black Friday weekend I go to BB and a guy is working that was quite helful although the headunit I wanted wasn't in stock. So I go home and order the system online, 12/1. I thought it odd out of a head unit, 2 sets of speakers and an assortment of accessories one set of speakers gets shipped to my house the rest of the stuff to the store. When inputting the order you click install and it charges for the installation for that item, the stereo was free. I also set up the install which the soonest was today.

I go in today, first off the guy at the counter was having trouble with the ticket, some stuff showed twice or something. Although it looked fine on my email and when I placed the order. Eventually two other guys are there. So they proceed to tell me I wasn't charged installation for one pair of speakers, that will be $100.00 and I need another harness and with install another $230.00. Then come to find out there's no harness that will allow me to retain use of steering wheel controls anyway. So I am frustrated to say the least over all the crap. I was willing to pay the $100.00 and just put my stereo in. Well...... not enough install time was scheduled for the set of speakers, he could do it all but one set of speakers and I'd have to schedule to have them put in. In addition, when I came in I was talking about buying a remote start to have installed later.

So they have a paid for sale, a possible future sale and they can't reach a resolution for me. Some guy brings a jeep in that wasn't supposed to be there until 3/14, I'm standing there when one of the guys tells the jeep owner on the phone if you can leave it here we'll see what we might be able to do. But they can't make time to do my complete install.

So my resolution was to tell them to keep their stuff and give me my money back. I just don't see how this place stays in business. They didn't even seem to care one bit they lost the sale or any importance of pleasing a customer.

I'm in customer service, I'm expected to apologize for our agency, even in times it's not really our fault. I cannot express to you the lack of concern this company showed.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Super Moderator

Re: Just Venting

Sorry you had such a frustrating experience.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

One time I purchased a surface tablet from them (years ago). It had a problem a couple months later so of course I went back to them. The store manager final told me because I did not purchase their extended warranty they could not help me. I said it is under warranty so your extended is not involved. He said I would have to deal with the manufacture.

So I asked him why would I buy from him again. Everyone sells it at the same price and even though I purchased it from them I had to deal with service on my own.

He actually said "because of our service".

I looked him straight in the eye and said, "did you really just say that?" Wow...
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    I don't hide the fact I have a strong dislike for Best Buy. I want to upgrade my factory system in our minivan. In Dec. they were running some great sales and free installation on some things. Car audio stores must be hiding under a rock in my area, I did get one bid but BB could save be about 1K. The other place I did pick out more expensive speakers. So to save $1k I held my nose and went in

So around Black Friday weekend I go to BB and a guy is working that was quite helful although the headunit I wanted wasn't in stock. So I go home and order the system online, 12/1. I thought it odd out of a head unit, 2 sets of speakers and an assortment of accessories one set of speakers gets shipped to my house the rest of the stuff to the store. When inputting the order you click install and it charges for the installation for that item, the stereo was free. I also set up the install which the soonest was today.

I go in today, first off the guy at the counter was having trouble with the ticket, some stuff showed twice or something. Although it looked fine on my email and when I placed the order. Eventually two other guys are there. So they proceed to tell me I wasn't charged installation for one pair of speakers, that will be $100.00 and I need another harness and with install another $230.00. Then come to find out there's no harness that will allow me to retain use of steering wheel controls anyway. So I am frustrated to say the least over all the crap. I was willing to pay the $100.00 and just put my stereo in. Well...... not enough install time was scheduled for the set of speakers, he could do it all but one set of speakers and I'd have to schedule to have them put in. In addition, when I came in I was talking about buying a remote start to have installed later.

So they have a paid for sale, a possible future sale and they can't reach a resolution for me. Some guy brings a jeep in that wasn't supposed to be there until 3/14, I'm standing there when one of the guys tells the jeep owner on the phone if you can leave it here we'll see what we might be able to do. But they can't make time to do my complete install.

So my resolution was to tell them to keep their stuff and give me my money back. I just don't see how this place stays in business. They didn't even seem to care one bit they lost the sale or any importance of pleasing a customer.

I'm in customer service, I'm expected to apologize for our agency, even in times it's not really our fault. I cannot express to you the lack of concern this company showed.
    The problem started with you taking matters into your own hands and placing the order online without knowing all of the wiring harnesses that were needed or the knowledge that the head unit you bought would not interface with your steering wheel controls. If Best Buy would have told you everything you needed and priced all of their labor upfront and scheduled your installation, this problem probably would not have occurred.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

I used to enjoy going to BB.....many decades ago. Sorry about your experience, Randy. The kind of attitude that was shown you starts from the top, and goes right down through management to the sales floor. Even conscientious BB employees fight an uphill battle against their own employer.

Companies like BB think good customer service is a thing of the past and is irrelevant. You just got a big dose of that mentality. BB makes big money but I think of the prophets they could be making if they truly promoted good, solid, customer service. But it starts with an attitude change from the top. And until that takes place, you can expect "business as usual". And lest anyone at BB think it can't be done, look at how a company like Sweetwater Sound does customer service. They're outstanding and they make companies like BB look like complete amateurs. My 2 cents.
    Amplifier: Pass Labs INT 250 integrated.

DAC/Streamer: MSB Discrete Dual Power Supply.

Server: Roon Nucleus with lifetime subscription.

Speakers: Harbeth Super HL 5+ 40th Anniversary
    Model.

Headphones/Amp: Focal Stellia phones, NAIM Uniti Atom Headphone Edition headphone amp/music player/server/streamer.

Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 speaker cables,
    Mackenzie interconnects.

Speaker Stands: HiFi Man.

The only reason I go into Best Buy any more is if I want something in particular and I know they have it. I never expect to get any service what so ever there, and their experts are as big of a joke as I have seen in forever. You are right about that lack of care.

We do not have a Magnolia near us but when we visited our son a couple weeks ago I stopped in the Magnolia store while my wife was shopping next door .

At the entrance to the mag department they had a system setup with the new McIntosh C2700 pre, matching amps, turntable, spinner, etc. I swear it had an inch and a half of dust on the system. It look so unkempt and un-presentable. It honestly left such a bad taste in my mouth that I would have a hard time buying anything from this store. When I used to manage a stereo store back in the day I would have been all over the employees about keeping the gear clean and presentable.

I guess it is the whole attitude any more. But the stores has gone down the tubes in my view.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Just Venting

Magnolia HIFi started here in Seattle, and sold out later to Best Buy.

Magnolia was a decent store providing decent products and service. Back in the day, I purchased Nakamichi, Vienna Acoustics, Pioneer Elite Plasmas and more. McIntosh was everywhere in the stores, and guessing Monster was the best cable choice.

I have yet to be in a Magnolia Best Buy, I don’t know how they decide which B/B gets a Magnolia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

The bb near me has about 3 employees to a customer on the average day that swarm like seagulls on the beach, so the days of walking around the store to pass time while waiting on my wife are long gone.
    KEF Blade, Mc-611's, C49 rega jupiter, roon nucleus, revox tuner. Meridian dsp8000 se upgrade, meridian 218 zone controller VA Beethoven's, Hegel h360.

First off no after market stereo interfaces with any factory controls without additional equipment. When you select your purchase online you have the option of clicking for BB to install and they list the accessories you would need. It automatically showed the wire harnesses and dash kit. The issue there isn't a harness for my controls in the steering wheel so nothing showed. The sales people do not know this unfortunately you don't find out until you talk with the installers. My issue was going to BB in the first place. Your issue is getting joy from being a royal PIA.

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    The problem started with you taking matters into your own hands and placing the order online without knowing all of the wiring harnesses that were needed or the knowledge that the head unit you bought would not interface with your steering wheel controls. If Best Buy would have told you everything you needed and priced all of their labor upfront and scheduled your installation, this problem probably would not have occurred.

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

I, too, had a terrible BB experience with an online purchase. Found a decently-priced, well-equipped Dell laptop on their website, purchased it online and had it shipped to my local store. After about a week of use, the hard drive died. Okay, these things happen. Took it back to my local store and they replaced the dead hard drive free of charge. About a week after that, the laptop started randomly locking up ... hard. Everything would freeze and I would have to reboot the computer. Tried to diagnose it on my own (I am a computer guy after all), but I was traveling for work at the time and didn't have a chance to get it back to my local BB until the following week. The good news is that the laptop locked hard while I was showing it to the guy (see, I'm NOT crazy), bad news is that their "diagnostics" turned up nothing. At that point, I was too through and just asked for my money back. But because it had been more than 21 days (I was past 21 days but under a month), they couldn't take it as a return. I could, however, "trade it in" at a reduced price. They also told me they couldn't spend any more time on solving the issue unless I opened a new incident ticket with them (at a $100 cost).

Having zero faith in their diagnostic skills, I decided to keep it and try and figure it out myself. About a month later (and after about a dozen operating system reinstalls/installs), I finally figured out it was the Intel SpeedStep hardware that was causing the issue. Disabled it in the BIOS settings and it finally settled down to become a productive computer. I left a pretty scathing review on the BB website, which stayed up until they discontinued that model of computer, so it eventually went away. I mean if as a computer guy I had this much trouble, imagine someone who purchased this laptop who just needed a computer that worked. So frustrating!!!

P.S. I still have this computer (came with Windows 10, but I ended up installing Ubuntu Linux on the thing) and it now works flawlessly. Much as I dislike Windows 10, turns out that Windows wasn't the problem this time around. In fact, I even use it when traveling with an Audioquest Cobalt DAC and I've had zero problems.
    Electronics: Pass Labs XP-22, Pass Labs X250.8
    Digital: T+A DAC 200, Auralic Aries G1, Sony UBP-X800M
    Analog: Pro-Ject X2 w/ Ortofon 2M Black, iFi Phono3 Phonostage
    Speakers: Janszen Audio Valentina P8, SVS SB13-Ultra
    Other: David Laboga Custom Audio/Shunyata/Audioquest cabling, PS Audio PowerPlant 15

BB really is just a warehouse, there's no support after the sale and very little if you need it to make the sale. The extended warranty is a rip off, BB will find a way not to honor it.

I've had previous problems with BB, I should have known better but I thought to save a grand.......

The issue that made me vow never to go back was with a dishwasher. I took that to the BBB where at the time the store had an A rating, I personally think they pay for that, but BB wouldn't even address the complaint, told me to take a flying leap in so many words. Luckily, the manufacturer stepped up to the plate on that one for me.

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    BB really is just a warehouse, there's no support after the sale and very little if you need it to make the sale. The extended warranty is a rip off, BB will find a way not to honor it.

I've had previous problems with BB, I should have known better but I thought to save a grand.......

The issue that made me vow never to go back was with a dishwasher. I took that to the BBB where at the time the store had an A rating, I personally think they pay for that, but BB wouldn't even address the complaint, told me to take a flying leap in so many words. Luckily, the manufacturer stepped up to the plate on that one for me.

The BBB is a fraud. You pay for their rating and put the sticker in your window.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

I've found the BB car stereo installation teams to be broadly incompetent. I purchased a new head unit, amplifier, and component speakers from them for my Jeep Grand Cherokee. They wired the tweeters directly to the amplifier output and not the crossover box, so of course the tweeters melted. You could see the deformation around the voice coil. Since the tweeters were still making sound they would not replace them. I fixed that problem by plugging them into the wall. So they replaced them but refused to re-wire. It was a long battle involving the speaker manufacturer to get them to complete the installation correctly. Never again. This was at their flagship Minneapolis location. It will probably be worse elsewhere.
    Tom

Audio:
    Amati Futura Mains
    Amati Homage VOX Center,
    Proac Response 1sc Rears,
    Three MC2301's for L,C,R
    MC 602 for the rears
    C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 77
    Nottingham Dais with Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation
    SurfacePro 3, JRiver, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

Video:
    MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
    Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 80, Rega P3

OnDeck:
    McIntosh MAC 4300v

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Just Venting