Anyone own KEF Blades - either version? Thoughts?

joeinid

Super Moderator
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 5D76436C-CB9E-4145-859D-902610860FBB.jpeg
    5D76436C-CB9E-4145-859D-902610860FBB.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 1,047
  • F2C70132-B0B0-4E4E-9FA6-398716EB5B51.jpeg
    F2C70132-B0B0-4E4E-9FA6-398716EB5B51.jpeg
    23.4 KB · Views: 1,033
I have KEF Blade 2’s coming into my listening room next weekend (current schedule subject to change). I sold my Reference 3’s to move up the KEF line. I have listened to them pretty extensively and am pretty excited about finally owning a pair.

Listening impressions - What I really enjoy about KEF in general is the ability to listen for hours without fatigue and the Blades definitely have that characteristic. I think you give up a bit of high frequency energy with these speakers, but you are really able to relax while listening. The Blades create space as well as just about any speaker out there. Soundstage width and depth, if setup well, are quite spacious. The off axis response is quite smooth and the dispersion of the Uni-Q driver allows for an enjoyable experience for those not in the sweet spot.

Visually, they are somewhat controversial, but you have to be in the same room with them to really appreciate their presence. Very sculptural. I happen to love the look. Mine will be a custom color and I will post pics when the room is finished in a couple of weeks.

Congrats, Morgan! I’m looking forward to hearing more from you when they arrive. Pics, too, please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! Congratulations Morgan. That’s great. Can’t wait for your thoughts. Thanks.

Hopefully GREGINNH can chime in. He had them for awhile but switched to the Harbeth 40.2 cause the Blade2 was causing his Tinnitus condition to become more magnified. Too dynamic if I remember his posts.

I remember seeing a video years ago of someone pushing Blades quite hard with Mac amps to the point the Powerguard function was activated.

Thank you. I know some speakers, even certain Sonus Faber models can do that to some people.

Hopefully GREGINNH can chime in. He had them for awhile but switched to the Harbeth 40.2 cause the Blade2 was causing his Tinnitus condition to become more magnified. Too dynamic if I remember his posts.

I tried the NAD M22 (Hypex class D) on my Reference 3’s and both mine and my wife’s ears hurt after a listening session. The control those amps had over bass drivers was ridiculous to the point of pain! Thankfully, once we switched back to my Parasound JC 1’s the pain was over.

I've only heard Blades at the show, they were always in a large room. They didn't do much to excite me but I don't consider so far hearing them at their best.

If it helps, one demo by KEF went back and forth between the LS50 and Blades to show the similar voicing and how you can start small and move up while retaining the KEF sound. The mids were incredibly similar.

I listened to them several times when buying speakers. The Reference 5's had better midrange. The blades have more bass weight. Subs easily solve lack of deep bass performance of the reference.

I feel greatful to be the proud owner of a brand new pair of the Blade 2's in the special Anniversary Frost Blue finish. From an aesthetic perspective, I personally love the form factor and beautiful curves of this speaker. My understanding of the design is that it is a no compromise philosophy, all about optimizing the time domain so that the speaker acts as a single point source for the listener. I feel like pictures alone aren't enough to convey the bold look and beautiful curves, and state of the art materials/fit & finish of this speaker.

As for the sound...all I can say is "Wow". These are truly full range speakers. The bottom octaves are dynamic, powerful, tight and deep, articulate with absolutely no blooming or boominess, despite being placed quite close to my side walls. As anyone already familiar with the Kef Uni-Q driver knows, the midrange is magical, with an open and very natural airiness on the top end. The clarity and transparency is absolutely stunning, almost shockingly so - and this is coming from someone who has lived with and loved electrostatics for years! Transients, leading edges, attack, and especially soundstage, imaging, and coherence have all been materially elevated in my system. The best way I can descibe it is that the sound is so open, dynamic, and effortless. My jaw drops on favourite music and albums that I know so well. It's been an incredible experience to rediscover them on the Blade 2's. I believe the Blade 2s are getting me that much closer to the artists true intent. The emotion just pours through on every recording.

As some background, my system consists of a Lumin U1 source, streaming mostly Tidal Hifi to an MSB Reference Dac, utilizing the MSB proprietary Pro ISL connection. The Dac is hooked up directly to a pair of McIntosh 1.2k monoblocs. Kef and the McIntosh amps pair very well together in my opinion.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20200110_173019.jpg
    IMG_20200110_173019.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 924
Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome!

Thank you so much for posting!

I feel greatful to be the proud owner of a brand new pair of the Blade 2's in the special Anniversary Frost Blue finish. From an aesthetic perspective, I personally love the form factor and beautiful curves of this speaker. My understanding of the design is that it is a no compromise philosophy, all about optimizing the time domain so that the speaker acts as a single point source for the listener. I feel like pictures alone aren't enough to convey the bold look and beautiful curves, and state of the art materials/fit & finish of this speaker.

As for the sound...all I can say is "Wow". These are truly full range speakers. The bottom octaves are dynamic, powerful, tight and deep, articulate with absolutely no blooming or boominess, despite being placed quite close to my side walls. As anyone already familiar with the Kef Uni-Q driver knows, the midrange is magical, with an open and very natural airiness on the top end. The clarity and transparency is absolutely stunning, almost shockingly so - and this is coming from someone who has lived with and loved electrostatics for years! Transients, leading edges, attack, and especially soundstage, imaging, and coherence have all been materially elevated in my system. The best way I can descibe it is that the sound is so open, dynamic, and effortless. My jaw drops on favourite music and albums that I know so well. It's been an incredible experience to rediscover them on the Blade 2's. I believe the Blade 2s are getting me that much closer to the artists true intent. The emotion just pours through on every recording.

As some background, my system consists of a Lumin U1 source, streaming mostly Tidal Hifi to an MSB Reference Dac, utilizing the MSB proprietary Pro ISL connection. The Dac is hooked up directly to a pair of McIntosh 1.2k monoblocs. Kef and the McIntosh amps pair very well together in my opinion.
attachment.php

Back