upgrade time ?
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: upgrade time ?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like

    upgrade time ?

    I guess I am like most of you and continually buy and sell audio gear . Sometimes I am very happy with my system ( like now ) but feel the need to spend money just for the heck of it . So , I am considering either "upgrading" either my Cary SLP-5 preamp or my Ayon 2S player . Not sure what I am really looking for but maybe a bit more high end extension ? At 65 I am sure my hearing isnt perfect anymore . Should I tube roll the Cary ? Should I tube roll the Ayon with a pair of those super 6H30P DR tubes ? ( $300 each , yikes ! ) Or just be happy my system is great ? Power amps are Conrad Johnson 60 , Bottle Head 300b mono's , First Watt F6 and Nelson Pass 6 wpc single ended jobbies . Speakers are Tekton Enzo 2.7 . I have had 5 pairs of speakers over the last 4 years , I'm not sure I want to go there again... Thx for the help guys ( budget about 7 - 8k )

  2. #2
    Audioshark
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    25,057
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: upgrade time ?

    What’s your source(s)?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

    "We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

    Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, Stein Music Products, Stenheim Loudspeakers, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

    https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    101
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: upgrade time ?

    You might consider a visit to the audiologist if you'd like to check on your hearing as a starting point.

    Past that, I suspect auditioning some different preamps and amps is more likely to change the perceived high frequency response than tube rolling would. But given your current combination of gear, I also think there's a chance you will want to use a different CD player if you switched out your preamp/amp.
    Neko Audio
    Authorized Dealer: AC Infinity, Acoustic Zen, APC, Audeze, Bryston, Devialet, Dirac, Elite HTS, Fortress Seating, LUMIN, Magico, Ortofon, Prism Sound, RME, STAX, Trinnov, & more.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Wesley Chapel, FL
    Posts
    246
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: upgrade time ?

    What speakers have you had in the last 4 years?

    The suggestion from Neko might be helpful. Having a program in my hearing aids that I use for listening to music was well worth the effort.

    It is kind of reverse engineering but, listening to other systems often reinforces what I clearly like in mine. It may give you some more direction.

    I'm in Wesley Chapel, only 25 minutes from downtown Tampa. Let me know if you want to listen to my choices. It is not a sound you have to want. Just a different sound and approach to our obsessive hobby.
    Synology 1019D+ - SGC Sonictransporter I9 w Roon/HQ Player- UltraRendu- PBD Stream IF to Playback Designs MPS5 via fiber optic - ARC 40th Anniversary Pre - ARC 610 T's - Martin Logan CLX's - 4 Martin Logan Depth i Subs - Shunyata Hydra, IC's and PC's. Audio Quest Vodka CAT 7's. Acoustically treated room with one permanent chair.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: upgrade time ?

    Quote Originally Posted by NekoAudio View Post
    You might consider a visit to the audiologist if you'd like to check on your hearing as a starting point.

    Past that, I suspect auditioning some different preamps and amps is more likely to change the perceived high frequency response than tube rolling would. But given your current combination of gear, I also think there's a chance you will want to use a different CD player if you switched out your preamp/amp.
    I had my hearing checked last year and there is some loss at high frequencies , was told it was normal for a 64 year old guy so I'm ok with that . Can you explain why I might have to change out my cd player if I change my pre amp ? Also , between the Cary SLP-05 and the Ayon 2S which one do you believe is the weak link ?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    141
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: upgrade time ?

    Quote Originally Posted by stereogeek View Post
    Also , between the Cary SLP-05 and the Ayon 2S which one do you believe is the weak link ?
    Another option is to complete the Ultimate Upgrade on your Cary SLP-05. I did this over a year ago on mine and felt it was absolutely worth the money.
    Morgan

    Room:
    Dedicated 21’4” x 12’10” x 8’8” w/GIK Acoustics treatments
    Speakers: KEF Blade 2
    Amplification: Pass Labs X250.8, Cary SLP-05 w/Ultimate Upgrade
    Digital: Marantz SA-10, Bluesound Node 2, Intel NUC Roon Core
    Vinyl: EAT C-Sharp, Hana SL, EAT E-Glo S w/LPS
    Power: AudioQuest Niagara 5000 on dedicated 20 amp/10 gauge circuit
    Wires: AudioQuest William Tell, Earth, Leopard, Tornado
    Resonance & Isolation: Nordost Sort Kones - BC & AC, Herbie's Giant Decoupling Gliders

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: upgrade time ?

    Quote Originally Posted by brad225 View Post
    What speakers have you had in the last 4 years?

    The suggestion from Neko might be helpful. Having a program in my hearing aids that I use for listening to music was well worth the effort.

    It is kind of reverse engineering but, listening to other systems often reinforces what I clearly like in mine. It may give you some more direction.

    I'm in Wesley Chapel, only 25 minutes from downtown Tampa. Let me know if you want to listen to my choices. It is not a sound you have to want. Just a different sound and approach to our obsessive hobby.
    My speakers over the last 4 or so years have been Maggies , Vandersteen , Thiel ( 2 ) and the current ones . I have drifted away from the high powered amps / low efficiency speaker setup that I enjoyed for 30+ years about 5 years ago . Now that I have a smaller room ( 14x20 ) small / medium floor standers work just great . I may take you up on your generous offer in the near future , thanks . The sick thing is I am very happy with the way it is now but have that expensive bug again. I'm even considering building a pair of the Bottlehead Jagr speakers just for the fun of it . Thanks again guys .

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    SE Pa
    Posts
    842
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: upgrade time ?

    age 65 and 'high end extension' = LOL !

    at 66 how well I know !

    I can't believe the number of speakers you've owned in the short period period of time. Is it the speaker or your listening room in question ???
    Cheers ! …. Dave

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: upgrade time ?

    Quote Originally Posted by MPW View Post
    Another option is to complete the Ultimate Upgrade on your Cary SLP-05. I did this over a year ago on mine and felt it was absolutely worth the money.
    I would rather not give Cary anymore of my money for reasons I would not rather discuss here. I am glad they did a good job for you and you are happy with it . What were differences after the upgrade ? Quite honestly , if Mike Vansevers was still around I would let him modify my Cary in a heartbeat .

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: upgrade time ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
    age 65 and 'high end extension' = LOL !

    at 66 how well I know !

    I can't believe the number of speakers you've owned in the short period period of time. Is it the speaker or your listening room in question ???
    I started to listen to some low powered systems with high efficiency speakers at the time and was convinced I could duplicate the sound . I started chasing speakers and amps for a bit there . Kinda went crazy buying stuff ….lol . I finally wound up with a pair of $1000 speakers ( on advice of an audiophile friend ) that would rock on 15 wpc . I took all but 4 tubes out of my Cary V12 ( about 17 wpc in full triode mode ) , biased it accordingly and I was stunned . It was liquid , dynamic as hell and that magical midrange was just as musical as heck . Something about low powered amps and high efficiency speakers just does it for me .

 

 
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast