Who Sits and Only Listens? - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who Sits and Only Listens?

I usually start with focused listening to get my dose of high end, and after that it’s all of the above.

Or, I browse through things I like, and do a rock, jazz or classic tour de NAS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Benz Micro Gullwing SLR MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Soulution 520 preamp with phono/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist MK II/ Soulution 511/ WyWires Platinum ICs/ Semi-active Lansche Audio 4.2 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ 2x Audioquest Thunder HD for LS/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata AlphaHC (x2)+Alpha+Alpha Analogue+Alpha Digital/ Finite Elemente Pagode/ Stillpoints Ultra SS.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Ayre Codex/ Auralic Aries Mini/ Sbooster LPSU/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

2. Likes FDPDK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do.
    Anthony
    Analog: VPI CLASSIC 3/Ortofon A95> ASR Basis Exclusive HV---->

Digital: Mac Mini (for now)> CARY DMS-600 DAC/Streamer---->
    ...........Cary 306 SACD PRO Disc Player---->

===> Cary SLP-05 (Ultimate Upgrade edition)----> Clayton M-300----> MARTIN LOGAN SPIRES

[Shunyata/Synergistic Research/Furutech/Blue Circle/SRA/Adona/ Stillpoints/Track Audio/GIK Acoustics]

4. Likes MikeCh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To darn old to just set still and listen, But its usually listen for a while reading or doing something around the house.
    Chris

(2 Chl): Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE Lumin D1, VPI Classic 1, Manley Chinook, Dynavector DV20x2L.exaSound e32 mk11, Marantz SA11S2. ( computer) Win7, Synology DS413 NAS ,Vincent SP-331MKII , Quicksilver LS,Vapor Audio Breeze, Rythmik F12se. Cables: Acoustic Zen, DL Labs, Blue Jean.. ,Bryston BCD-1,Timbernation Rack,

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t do background music unless I’m driving, so when I want to hear music it is a full listening session. Usually accompanied by a nice glass of vino (or two). If I wander off it is through Roon or pulling songs I have heard and SoundHounded/Shazaamed into my Roon library.
    —Bob V.

My system: Benz LPS, AMG v12 turntable, Einstein Turntables' Choice phono-pre (dual mono version), dCS Rossini, Audio Research Ref10 pre, Audio Research REF 160M, Wilson Alexia speakers. Transparent Ref MM2 & Gen5 signal cables, Shunyata Zitron Sigma, AlphaNR, Python, Anaconda power cables. Shunyata Hydra Triton v3, Denali 2000t, Stillpoints. HRS. Acoustic environment optimized by Dr. Bonnie Schnitta of SoundSense.

Post Thanks / Like

My living room sound system provides me with background music most of the day. I turn it on in the morning while I'm brewing coffee. It usually remains playing music until early afternoon. During that time I am often reading or on the Internet. Having music playing keeps the house from feeling empty. Late afternoon will often find my sitting in the sweet spot in the living room for a couple of hours enjoying music without distractions.

The studio system is a whole different experience. When I go into the studio, usually at night, it is for the express purpose of enjoying music on that sound system. I'll dim the lighting way down and allow myself the pleasure of being completely absorbed in my choice of music. These listening sessions can go for as long as three to five hours uninterrupted.

Both the living room and studio sound systems deliver excellent performance. I don't feel compromised when listening to either system, but when I want complete immersion without distractions I generally migrate to the studio where the totally dedicate environment supports complete attention on the musical performance.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Post Thanks / Like

I will generally sit and just listen. With that, there is the need to decide what music will come next.
    I currently have my system/room acoustics to the point that I will be looking at my iPad for music and find I am drawn away by the amazing detailed sound stage that is in front of me. It is so mesmerizing to hear. I just end up staring off in the direction of the front wall behind the speakers looking at different positions in the air as an instrument shows up then disappears as another one takes over.
    Synology 1019D+ - SGC Sonictransporter I9 w Roon/HQ Player- UltraRendu- PBD Stream IF to Playback Designs MPS5 via fiber optic - ARC 40th Anniversary Pre - ARC 610 T's - Martin Logan CLX's - 4 Martin Logan Depth i Subs - Shunyata Hydra, IC's and PC's. Audio Quest Vodka CAT 7's. Acoustically treated room with one permanent chair.

Post Thanks / Like

I only turn my stereo on when I am going to ‘listen’ to it. This means sitting in the sweet spot for hours and listening. Other than occasionally looking at an iPad Mini, and drinking beer, music is all that is occurring.
    Bud

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for preamp, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Post Thanks / Like

when I'm in my 'chair' it's music and nothing else, well except for the sipping of good whiskey ........
    Cheers ! …. Dave

11. Likes Calvin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kingrex View Post
    Pretty much work out while listening. Sometimes surf. Sometimes I stop and pay attention.
    So are you saying you don’t sit and listen to your system?
    VPI Avenger with 12" 3D arm, Technics SP-10MKII table in custom plinth with custom power supply made by Peter Noerbaek of PBN, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, pair of Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Post Thanks / Like

you have to look at this question a couple of ways.

how much time do you spend sitting in your listening chair in the sweet spot?

of that time, what percentage is only listening?

some rooms are multi-use rooms, where sometimes music is a background to other activity. my wife has Sonos and has music on all the time she does not have the TV on in her kitchen.

for me; i spend 30+ hours a week sitting in my sweet spot. my room has no video monitor, it's 2 channel only. no other activity happens in that room except for my laptop web surfing....or reading my Kindle or a HiFi magazine.

during digital listening; which is 70% of my listening, i multi-task, but still am engaged in listening, about 75% of the digital time. my dedicated 'music-only' digital listening time is mostly near bed time when i don't want to fall asleep with my turntable playing.

during 30% for vinyl or tape i'm 100% listening.....typically with the lights dim.

so my total is about 40-45% strictly sitting in my sweet spot just listening of my 30+ hours a week.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast