Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

How close to the wall can you place rear ported speakers?

My current Focal Sopra 3's are bottom ported, and are therefore reasonably forgiving at being close to a rear wall. We still keep them well off the wall since there's room for it, but I'm used to how they interact with the rear room boundary.

For speakers with rear ports, how close is too close, and what is the side effect of getting them too close?

I ask because nearly all of my speaker candidates for my new basement theater room seem to have rear ports (some with front and rear!), even the center channel units. I'm hoping it's ok to get the rear face of the speaker within a foot or so of the wall. If it has to be more than that, I may have to rethink things considerably.
    Jeff

Main System
    Streamer/Server: Aurender N100H; Disc Player: Oppo UDP-205; DAC: Topping D90SE; Preamp: Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2; Power Amp: ATI AT542NC; Speakers: Focal Sopra No. 3; Cables: Wireworld, Kimber, Cullin; Power: Ansuz Mainz8 X-TC, PS Audio Dectet, Furutech outlets

Basement Media Room
    Streamer/Server: Aurender N100SC; Disc Player: Panasonic DB-UP9000; Surround Pre/Pro: Monoprice Monolith HTP-1; Power Amps: Apollon NC1200SL (custom 3-channel w/Sparkos SS2590 op amps), Apollon AS3600 6-channel; Speakers: Focal Kanta No. 3, Kanta Center, 300 ICW8 (x6); Subwoofer: Rythmik F18SE (x2); Cables: Wireworld, BlueJeans; Power: Torus RM20, Furman Elite 20PFi; Room Correction: Dirac Live w/ Bass Control; Video: Sony 77" A9G OLED

Re: How close to the wall can you place rear ported speakers?

Quote Originally Posted by 2FlyingYorkies View Post
    My current Focal Sopra 3's are bottom ported, and are therefore reasonably forgiving at being close to a rear wall. We still keep them well off the wall since there's room for it, but I'm used to how they interact with the rear room boundary.

For speakers with rear ports, how close is too close, and what is the side effect of getting them too close?

I ask because nearly all of my speaker candidates for my new basement theater room seem to have rear ports (some with front and rear!), even the center channel units. I'm hoping it's ok to get the rear face of the speaker within a foot or so of the wall. If it has to be more than that, I may have to rethink things considerably.
    If the ports are for the bass and assuming that you will have dedicated subwoofers in the theater, you could actually cover the ports. In fact that is what JL Audio recommends for many ported speakers.

18-24' will work fine especially if you are crossing them over to subs. What speakers ended up being your finalists?
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

I think we can work with 18", so that's a good number to hear. Obviously final placement will be done in-room by ear, but it's good that we should be able to make a rear port work.

The final list to pick from is: Focal Aria 948 or Kanta 2, Monitor Audio Gold 300, and Fyne F702 or F502SP (which are down-ported). We ended up expanding the budget a little, as my wife likes the look of the more expensive Kantas (the room will have a mid-century vibe, and in bakelite blue they would certainly fit the bill). We've been able to audition and reject the KEF R / Reference series, Revel F206/208, GoldenEar, Sonus Faber, Paradigm Prestige, and a few others. We have an audition with the remaining candidates except the Monitors next weekend, so I think we'll have it wrapped up shortly. The room itself is still a work in progress, though.
    Jeff

Main System
    Streamer/Server: Aurender N100H; Disc Player: Oppo UDP-205; DAC: Topping D90SE; Preamp: Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2; Power Amp: ATI AT542NC; Speakers: Focal Sopra No. 3; Cables: Wireworld, Kimber, Cullin; Power: Ansuz Mainz8 X-TC, PS Audio Dectet, Furutech outlets

Basement Media Room
    Streamer/Server: Aurender N100SC; Disc Player: Panasonic DB-UP9000; Surround Pre/Pro: Monoprice Monolith HTP-1; Power Amps: Apollon NC1200SL (custom 3-channel w/Sparkos SS2590 op amps), Apollon AS3600 6-channel; Speakers: Focal Kanta No. 3, Kanta Center, 300 ICW8 (x6); Subwoofer: Rythmik F18SE (x2); Cables: Wireworld, BlueJeans; Power: Torus RM20, Furman Elite 20PFi; Room Correction: Dirac Live w/ Bass Control; Video: Sony 77" A9G OLED

Like Nicoff said if you are going to use subs and an electronic crossover in a HT processor you can alway plug ports if it becomes an issue. I think the Fynes would be an interesting choice with the 502SP's a speaker I want to hear.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

If the rear port is too close to the wall the speaker will sound boomy. As mentioned, plugging the ports and/or when you run your speaker set up of the processor it should crossover the mains to provide a flat response, or flat as possible.

Here in my area, Home Theatre Designs has Monitor Audio Gold on display. I think just one pair but at least you'd get a listen if that wasn't too far. I think they are 300's.

I also wonder if you have noticed a new high end store just opened in KC? I forget the name, maybe Audio Connection. I need to check.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

The new store in KC is Sound Environment, out of Omaha. That's actually where we heard the Sonus Faber Sonetto V (and a nifty pair of Wilson Sasha DAWs that added an extra zero to the original budget, but did sound quite nice).

I'm well aware of the Monitors in StL - I've already visited Dave from At Home Theater Designs, but unfortunately it was right before his Gold 300s arrived. We did get to hear his KEFs and a pair of Monitor silvers that left us wanting to hear the higher line. It's a ~7 hour drive, so a full weekend trip at a minimum. Hopefully the stars will align so I can make the trip again before I have to make a decision.
    Jeff

Main System

Basement Media Room

In layman's terms, when everything turns to shit, go back 2 moves. Thats about the perzackery

LOL, you are on top of it. That's the store I was talking about in KC. If you get this way again give me a heads up and maybe I can make it out to Dave's while you are there.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FlyingYorkies View Post
    The new store in KC is Sound Environment, out of Omaha. That's actually where we heard the Sonus Faber Sonetto V (and a nifty pair of Wilson Sasha DAWs that added an extra zero to the original budget, but did sound quite nice).

I'm well aware of the Monitors in StL - I've already visited Dave from At Home Theater Designs, but unfortunately it was right before his Gold 300s arrived. We did get to hear his KEFs and a pair of Monitor silvers that left us wanting to hear the higher line. It's a ~7 hour drive, so a full weekend trip at a minimum. Hopefully the stars will align so I can make the trip again before I have to make a decision.

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Jeff, my 4367's are front ported, although large, have you considered JBL? They do have a new HDI line coming out, I'd have to check to see what other models in the Synthesis line might be front ported.

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

In this setup, aesthetics are at least as critical as the sound. It's a mixed media/living/theater space, with emphasis on living. So the traditional JBL look won't make it past the aesthetics committee. The newer HDI line might, but they're rear ported, so no help there.
    Jeff

Main System

Basement Media Room

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

How close to the wall can you place rear ported speakers?