Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EMM Labs DA2

Banned

Re: EMM Labs DA2

We compared a fully loaded Select II to the EMM DA2V2. In our system, the EMM sounded better to us as it was more musical, sounded more like live music to us. A venue-like experience, better sound stage, more 3 dimensional, etc. It was close though, either DAC would have been good for us. But ultimately for us the best DAC in our system was the EMM DA2V2. We were just more engaged with the sound of EMM.

I’m surprised with your calling experience regarding EMM. I’ve called a few times getting info (no service issues at all) and haven’t had any problems. We’ve been so impressed with the sound and communications with EMM we’ll probably (if the reviews are correct) be getting a set of their mono amps (MTRX2) - if they sound good in our home audition … (but we are auditioning other amps as well).

Audioshark

EMM Labs DA2

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    We compared a fully loaded Select II to the EMM DA2V2. In our system, the EMM sounded better to us as it was more musical, sounded more like live music to us. A venue-like experience, better sound stage, more 3 dimensional, etc. It was close though, either DAC would have been good for us. But ultimately for us the best DAC in our system was the EMM DA2V2. We were just more engaged with the sound of EMM.

I’m surprised with your calling experience regarding EMM. I’ve called a few times getting info (no service issues at all) and haven’t had any problems. We’ve been so impressed with the sound and communications with EMM we’ll probably (if the reviews are correct) be getting a set of their mono amps (MTRX2) - if they sound good in our home audition … (but we are auditioning other amps as well).
    Do you have any pictures of the Select II in your system for this shootout? Also, why don’t you tell the members here how you wasted hundreds of hours of my time and bought your new Magico’s from another dealer? Also, why not tell them how my guys and I picked up ALL your equipment for free, hauled it in my trailer, stored all your equipment for free in my air conditioned warehouse FOR MONTHS while you were moving houses here in Florida (because you didn’t trust the moving company) and yet you still had the audacity to buy from another dealer? A guy who wasn’t even a magico dealer at the time!! I think you need to stay off this forum. You’re a real piece of work. There is so much more I want to say, but I will just leave it at this, what you did to me, I will NEVER forget. The hundreds of hours I wasted on you, Saturday’s and Sunday’s, I will NEVER forget.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Do you have any pictures of the Select II in your system for this shootout? Also, why don’t you tell the members here how you wasted hundreds of hours of my time and bought your new Magico’s from another dealer? Also, why not tell them how my guys and I picked up ALL your equipment for free, hauled it in my trailer, stored all your equipment for free in my air conditioned warehouse FOR MONTHS while you were moving houses here in Florida (because you didn’t trust the moving company) and you yet you still had the audacity to buy from another dealer? A guy who wasn’t even a magico dealer at the time? I think you need to stay off this forum. You’re a real piece of work. What you did to me, I will NEVER forget. The hundreds of hours I wasted on you, Saturday’s and Sunday’s, I will NEVER forget.

Mike,

I apologize you were offended. And this will be my last post here. I did price out my system thru you, but in the end your pricing - your trade-in values - were less than what other dealers (pl) offered. Additionally, I was getting a turntable. I needed a dealer close by to help me transition back into one. You’re are a long way off - app. 7 hours and I needed someone close by. And I paid a lot of $$$ - $3000 if I remember correctly - to have my system reinstalled in my new place. And you sold me a system, the one you stored. So, your time wasn’t wasted. You made a huge sale.

Again, I apologize you were offended. And this will be my last post. Please delete my account.

Audioshark

EMM Labs DA2

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    Mike,

I apologize you were offended. And this will be my last post here. I did price out my system thru you, but in the end your pricing - mainly your trade-in values - were less than what other dealers (pl) offered. Additionally, I was getting a turntable. I needed a dealer close by to help me transition back into one. You’re are a long way off - app. 7 hours and I needed someone close by. And I paid a lot of $$$ - $3000 if I remember correctly - to have my system reinstalled in my new place. Again, I apologized you were offended. And this will be my last post. Please delete my account.
    You paid a third party to bring the system to you and set it up after you moved to Northern Florida. I helped arrange that for you. I found someone I trusted who picked it up from me, transported it to you, unboxed everything and hooked it all back up, dialed in the speakers, etc.

You were also, I recall, so distraught at the time by the thought of moving that you wanted me to just buy your entire system and you would be done. I put on my audio psychologist hat and talked you off the ledge. I told you we would do everything we could to make it easy for you and told you not to make the mistake of just selling everything at a huge loss as an audio system brings so much joy and you love yours. EVERY OTHER DEALER would have just taken advantage of your worries and stolen your system for pennies on the dollar and made out like bandits. I did not. I did what was best for you and that was talking you off the ledge.

I have one of the best turntable setup guys in the business and we use all the latest technology, including, digital microscopes, fozgometers and AnalogMagik from Richard Mak. We would have most definitely delivered a proper turntable setup for you. When I told my employee about the setup, he said, “great, I love to drive”.

I know you bought solely on price and clearly I’ve made Magico aware of this. It’s not a race to the bottom for me, it’s about providing the best level of service. And in life, it’s also about having a little decency and recognizing when someone goes far above and beyond in so many ways for you. But in the end, you saved a few bucks and hey “screw that guy” right?

Good day sir.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

...It’s not a race to the bottom for me, it’s about providing the best level of service. And in life, it’s also about having a little decency and recognizing when someone goes far above and beyond in so many ways for you. But in the end, you saved a few bucks and hey “screw that guy” right?...
    we derive a living in very similar ways. I get stroked by people that bill by the hour like attorneys, which take my info (for free) and do it themselves. there are lots of sociopath's about especially in business. When I cut my teeth in consulting an old sage that's now long departed always said "its not about the money, IT'S ABOUT THE MONEY!" you can apply that axiom to mean many things but in the end you pick your clients with similar diligence.

If you find DCS fatiguing, EMM is far more detailed. Hopefully Elberoth will weigh in here. He’s had both.
    It depends which EMM DAC. The new MA3 is bright. I didn't like the sound at all. I have borrowed one from my dealer, out of curiosity, and I have returned it next day.

I had DV2 at the time at home, so was hoping to get more of the same house sound, but in a cheaper package, with Roon end point built in (Ethernet input). In other words - sth I could recommend to my friends as an alternative to Bartok, but fuller sounding.

Boy, they (DV2 vs MA3) could not sound different! DV2 was musical, slightly on the warmer side of neutral - in fact, it was very much like the Select II DAC, but with a little bit less resolutuion, less bass slam, smaller soundstage.

But in terms of natruralness, body and smoothnes, they were about eaqual. I have even described the DV2 a poor man's Select.

The MSB Select II remains the very best DAC I have heard in my system.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
    Agreed. Mine too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you Adam! This is great feedback.

I'm only interested in the EMM Labs DA2, and see you are running the D'agostino Momentum Amp.

I am looking for detail, bass, and a warm, enjoyable "musical" sound.

From what I gather MSB is the bees knees...just very expensive. No way on earth will I spend $80K+ on a DAC, and would be limited to the used markets. If the EMM DA2 gets me "close enough" that would have to be good enough for me.

I'm happy to spend "big dollars" on cars, etc. I just haven't gotten there with gear (yet).

It depends which EMM DAC. The new MA3 is bright. I didn't like the sound at all. I have borrowed one from my dealer, out of curiosity, and I have returned it next day.

I had DV2 at the time at home, so was hoping to get more of the same house sound, but in a cheaper package, with Roon end point built in (Ethernet input). In other words - sth I could recommend to my friends as an alternative to Bartok, but fuller sounding.

Boy, they (DV2 vs MA3) could not sound different! DV2 was musical, slightly on the warmer side of neutral - in fact, it was very much like the Select II DAC, but with a little bit less resolutuion, less bass slam, smaller soundstage.

But in terms of natruralness, body and smoothnes, they were about eaqual. I have even described the DV2 a poor man's Select.

Speakers: Sonus Faber Aidas
    Amp: D'agostino Momentum S250
    Preamp: D'agostino Momentum HD
    Subs: JL Fathom F113x4
    Digital: TBD (current Lampi B3, AMR-777SE)
    Cables: Wireworld

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    Thank you Adam! This is great feedback.

I'm only interested in the EMM Labs DA2, and see you are running the D'agostino Momentum Amp.

I am looking for detail, bass, and a warm, enjoyable "musical" sound.

From what I gather MSB is the bees knees...just very expensive. No way on earth will I spend $80K+ on a DAC, and would be limited to the used markets. If the EMM DA2 gets me "close enough" that would have to be good enough for me.

I'm happy to spend "big dollars" on cars, etc. I just haven't gotten there with gear (yet).
    All current MSB DAC’s have the same glorious sound, you just get more of it as you move up the line.

It would be interesting to compare the DA2/DV2 to MSB Premier. A just put a simple system together for a close friend of mine - MSB Premier DAC + Momentum stereo + Sasha DAW. Very compact, super cool looking and sounds incredible too.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

Audioshark

It would be interesting to compare the DA2/DV2 to MSB Premier. A just put a simple system together for a close friend of mine - MSB Premier DAC + Momentum stereo + Sasha DAW. Very compact, super cool looking and sounds incredible too.
    That’s what I did (see OP). The Premier was FAR more to my liking and Select II like in sound.

All current MSB DAC’s have the same glorious sound, you just get more of it as you move up the line.

Good to know!
    Speakers: Sonus Faber Aidas
    Amp: D'agostino Momentum S250
    Preamp: D'agostino Momentum HD
    Subs: JL Fathom F113x4
    Digital: TBD (current Lampi B3, AMR-777SE)
    Cables: Wireworld

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

EMM Labs DA2