Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: Oppo 105 Review

Audioshark

Oppo 105 Review

I can't ever remember seeing another perfect score:

http://www.hometheater.com/content/o...-ray-3d-player
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Yes Mike, and not only from HomeTheater, but from all over.

* Oppo's own website has a multitude of pro review's links on the 105, and on the 103 also.
    - Reviews of the 105 => http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-b...05-Review.aspx
    - Reviews of the 103 => http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-b...03-Review.aspx
    Last edited by NorthStar; April 10, 2013 at 03:20 PM.
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

I really wonder if the 105 sounds better than the 95 through the analog outputs. :confused:
    Ron

A/V Processor: McIntosh MX-120. Amps: McIntosh MC207. Digital Sources: PS Audio PerfectWave DAC II, Logitech Squeezebox Touch EDO, Oppo BDP-95. Analog Sources: Pro-Ject RM5 SE. Speakers: Sonus faber Cremona Auditor M, Sonus faber Center Domus, Sonus Faber Wall Domus, SVS SB-13 Ultra Subwoofer. Wires: WW Platinum USB, Kimber Kable 12TC, Kimber Kable Hero HB IC. WW Silver Eclipse IC, WW Eclipse IC, WW Silver Electra 5.2 Power Cords. Power: PS Audio Quintet, PS Audio Duet.

Audioshark
    I think the Oppo 105 is unique due to its DAC configuration for HT and two channel, but also for its new asynchronous USB vs the 95.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Yes its DAC function is a big plus along with the USB and I think it is more network friendly.
    Ron

A/V Processor: McIntosh MX-120. Amps: McIntosh MC207. Digital Sources: PS Audio PerfectWave DAC II, Logitech Squeezebox Touch EDO, Oppo BDP-95. Analog Sources: Pro-Ject RM5 SE. Speakers: Sonus faber Cremona Auditor M, Sonus faber Center Domus, Sonus Faber Wall Domus, SVS SB-13 Ultra Subwoofer. Wires: WW Platinum USB, Kimber Kable 12TC, Kimber Kable Hero HB IC. WW Silver Eclipse IC, WW Eclipse IC, WW Silver Electra 5.2 Power Cords. Power: PS Audio Quintet, PS Audio Duet.

Audioshark
    It certainly throws the whole cost for performance ratio out of whack! Those guys at Oppo are amazing. What a great success story.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppyhome View Post
    I really wonder if the 105 sounds better than the 95 through the analog outputs. :confused:
    According to the owners who have tried both?
    According to Oppo?

From what I've read, and I did read a few; the 105 might have a very slight advantage, and I think Oppo also agrees with that.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Audioshark
    I have both and I would agree Bob. Very slight though. You know, if you don't need video, the old 83SE (if you can find one) is a heck of a deal.

I just realized that you do indeed have both Mike.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    It certainly throws the whole cost for performance ratio out of whack! Those guys at Oppo are amazing. What a great success story.
    +1. I've had a couple different Oppo players through the years and their products and service dept. are what all companies should strive to be like. Top notch for sure.
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by dlb2 View Post
    +1. I've had a couple different Oppo players through the years and their products and service dept. are what all companies should strive to be like. Top notch for sure.
    +1! I have three Oppos and love each one of them. Even my 5 year old 980H works flawlessly. My next universal player/streamer will be an Oppo as well. No question.
    -------
    Sonus Faber Toy Towers / Prima Luna DiaLogue One / Oppo BDP-95 / Squeezebox Touch / Pro-Ject RM-5.1 + Dynavector 10X5 / Audioquest Type 4 (speakers) / Nordost Heimdall + Nordost Red Dawn LS (interconnects) / Nordost Brahma + Vishnu (power cords) / PS Audio Duet / Panasonic 65VT60 / Oppo BDP-103 (modified for multi-region).

Quote Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
    +1! I have three Oppos and love each one of them. Even my 5 year old 980H works flawlessly. My next universal player/streamer will be an Oppo as well. No question.
    Welcome.jpg - - - Esteban
    André - - - Keep it simple system
    Amp = Chord CPM-2600
    Source = Chord One
    Speakers = Acoustat 1+1s highly modified
    Life without Acoustat is possible BUT senseless.

My impressions on the Oppo BDP-105 UCDP, i was hearing & reading about oppo here oppo there and i was wondering what was the fuss all about so curiosity killed the cat, i have been pro cd since 1983 i have owned around 12 different cdp's MOST of them over 3k, i had a friend selling his 6 months old BDP-95 he was upgrading to the BDP-105 because his brother told him that it was worth it, so i bought the BDP-95 as backup to my Chord One, well i was so surprised of the sound of this unit that after three days i decided to sell it and by the BDP-105, all i can say is that in more than 40 years into this passion i think that the purchase of the ( BDP-105 ) was probably the third or fourth NEW unit that i bought, i rarely buy new and i am very very happy, is the 105 as good as my Chord One the answer is NO but it is almost seven times cheaper and pretty darn close for now i have been using it only for cd playback.

PS: The two brothers that i was talking about both owned 20k cd players before they went to the Oppo's BDP-105 and told me that they will NEVER spend that kind of money on a cd player again.
    Last edited by MrAcoustat; April 25, 2013 at 04:40 PM.
    André - - - Keep it simple system
    Amp = Chord CPM-2600
    Source = Chord One
    Speakers = Acoustat 1+1s highly modified
    Life without Acoustat is possible BUT senseless.

Amen!
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Re: Oppo 105 Review

Quote Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
    Esteban, Can you compare the Oppo 95's analog out to the newer/cheaper 103? Does either unit have an advantage when using USB in?

Quote Originally Posted by KLH007 View Post
    Esteban, Can you compare the Oppo 95's analog out to the newer/cheaper 103? Does either unit have an advantage when using USB in?
    I'm afraid I have not tried the analog outs of the 103, since I only use it as a BD/DVD player. HDMI out only. Mine is also modified for region-free/code-free playback. I use it exclusively for movies. But I do not think it would compare favorably to the 95 when it comes to 2-ch. audio playback. The 95 has the better DAC, analog stage, power supply, etc.
    -------
    Sonus Faber Toy Towers / Prima Luna DiaLogue One / Oppo BDP-95 / Squeezebox Touch / Pro-Ject RM-5.1 + Dynavector 10X5 / Audioquest Type 4 (speakers) / Nordost Heimdall + Nordost Red Dawn LS (interconnects) / Nordost Brahma + Vishnu (power cords) / PS Audio Duet / Panasonic 65VT60 / Oppo BDP-103 (modified for multi-region).

I do not have the sophisticated equipment to test everything, but I have owned the Oppo 95 for several years a replaced it with the Oppo 105. But first:

I started my main system with the Pioneer Elite 9 Blu Ray player. I moved that into our bedroom and replaced it with the Oppo 95. I cannot begin to tell you the incredible difference. First the Oppo started quicker. Also, for updates the Oppos do them automatically, I had to check the internet and manually do the Pioneer.

The picture and sound was overwhelming better. The images were sharper and had more color. The movement was less jittery. The sound was so much better too. The separation was better, , the tone, the fidelity were so much better. The bass was deeper and much more prevalent, to the point where I didn’t think my Thiel subwoofer was keeping up with it.

In December, when the Pioneer broke, rather than fixing it, I moved the 95 into the bedroom and bought the 105. (By doing this I convince myself I am not wasting money).

My conclusions are simple: Everything got a better, the sound, the picture, the “starting time” but not by a huge amount as when I went from the Pioneer to the 95. The picture is more vibrant and sharper and the subtleties in lighting, in such movies as Cabaret, really come through.

I am sure that in the higher ranges there may be a better blu ray player. I just haven’t seen it.

Barry

Amplifier (center) Krell FPB 450Mcx
    Amplifier (front 2 channel) Krell Evolution 600e
    Amplifier (3 channel) Proceed HPA-3
    Blu-Ray Player Oppo BDP 105
    CD/SACD Payer Krell Cypher
    Controller (Surround Sound) Krell 707 3D
    FM Tuner Day Sequerra FM Reference
    HDTV Receiver Verrizon
    Headphones Stax Lambda Pro
    Internet Radio Sonos
    Laser Disc Pioneer Elite DLV-91
    Rears and Back Surround Thiel Powerplanes
    Record Cleaner VPI 17
    Speakers Revel Ultima Salon 2
    Center Channel Revel Ultima Voice 2
    Sub-Woofer SVS SB-13 Ultras
    Turntable VPI 19 Mark 4
    Tonearm SME 309
    Turntable Stylus Audioquest 404i
    Phono Pre-Amp Krell KPE
    Universal Remote Control MX850
    Video Projector JVC DLA-RS66U
    Video Screen Vue Tech 108

Please note: I now need four more posts before i can put up pictures!

Audioshark

I'm a big fan of your speakers! I've owned them in the past, and now I've purchased a pair of Studio 2's. I bet your Krell amp is a terrific match for the Salon 2's.

The studios are good too! I heard them. One thing I have learned, often the hard way, is that systems have to be matched well. I needed strong amps on the Salon 2 and started with the Krell 750mcx. The step up to the 600i was gigantic and major improvement. In fact, should I ever get the funds I want to switch the 450mcx that I have for the center to a 400i.

How long until your speakers get set up? And do improved power cables make that much of a difference? That is a question, not a statement, I don't know.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Lefisc View Post
    The studios are good too! I heard them. One thing I have learned, often the hard way, is that systems have to be matched well. I needed strong amps on the Salon 2 and started with the Krell 750mcx. The step up to the 600i was gigantic and major improvement. In fact, should I ever get the funds I want to switch the 450mcx that I have for the center to a 400i.

How long until your speakers get set up? And do improved power cables make that much of a difference? That is a question, not a statement, I don't know.
    My speakers should arrive in 1-2 weeks. I bought a pair of Classe CA-M600 amps and a Classe CP-800 preamp to drive them. 1200 watts/channel into 4 ohms should make them sing. I think the Classe/Revel synergy should be quite good. John Atkinson thinks so!

It will be a digital system - for now. One day, I will add a turntable - probably when the Phonostage for the CP800 is released. Classe is telling me its a killer Phonostage.

Do power cables make a difference? Well.....what makes a real difference is clean electricity. Before spending money on expensive power cords, I would first make sure you have clean electricity. Start with upgrading the wall sockets. I have the Furutech GT-X sockets (purchased from Jeff at AV Solutions - here on Audioshark). I've also had the MIT wall sockets in my room for testing and they were excellent as well.

Beyond that, a power conditioner is a good idea. I know people rave about the Shunyata power conditioners. I have two audiophile grade power conditioners - the APC S20's and S15's. They also serve as surge protectors and battery backup. These are necessary for summers in Florida (lots and lots of lightening strikes). Once the summer storms are over, I plug my amps directly into the Furutech GT-X wall sockets which are connected to dedicated 20 amp circuits. The preamp and sources remain plugged into the APC S20's at all times.

The wall sockets help filter out noise on the line from outside, but more importantly, line on the noise from INSIDE your house - created by your refrigerator, freezer, AC unit and pretty much anything that uses electricity in your house.

If, after all that, you want to try some after market PC's, then at least you will be starting with a level playing field.

I had the WW Silver Electra power cords and I found the stock ARC power cords more to my liking. That being said, next week, I have some Tara Labs "THE ONE" power cords coming to try.

Start with clean AC first....it will give you much blacker backgrounds without changing cords.

My speakers should arrive in 1-2 weeks. I bought a pair of Classe CA-M600 amps and a Classe CP-800 preamp to drive them. 1200 watts/channel into 4 ohms should make them sing. I think the Classe/Revel synergy should be quite good. John Atkinson thinks so!

It will be a digital system - for now. One day, I will add a turntable - probably when the Phonostage for the CP800 is released. Classe is telling me its a killer Phonostage.

Do power cables make a difference? Well.....what makes a real difference is clean electricity. Before spending money on expensive power cords, I would first make sure you have clean electricity. Start with upgrading the wall sockets. I have the Furutech GT-X sockets (purchased from Jeff at AV Solutions - here on Audioshark). I've also had the MIT wall sockets in my room for testing and they were excellent as well.

Beyond that, a power conditioner is a good idea. I know people rave about the Shunyata power conditioners. I have two audiophile grade power conditioners - the APC S20's and S15's. They also serve as surge protectors and battery backup. These are necessary for summers in Florida (lots and lots of lightening strikes). Once the summer storms are over, I plug my amps directly into the Furutech GT-X wall sockets which are connected to dedicated 20 amp circuits. The preamp and sources remain plugged into the APC S20's at all times.

The wall sockets help filter out noise on the line from outside, but more importantly, line on the noise from INSIDE your house - created by your refrigerator, freezer, AC unit and pretty much anything that uses electricity in your house.

If, after all that, you want to try some after market PC's, then at least you will be starting with a level playing field.

I had the WW Silver Electra power cords and I found the stock ARC power cords more to my liking. That being said, next week, I have some Tara Labs "THE ONE" power cords coming to try.

Start with clean AC first....it will give you much blacker backgrounds without changing cords.
    All great points, but your comments on the WW Silver Electra cords are very interesting...I have them on all my gear except my Ref 5 which takes a 20 amps connector and I've been too cheap to get one for now. I've been tempted to give some Shunyata cables a demo from the cable co...decisions decisions...
    -Casey

Main System: Joseph Audio Perspective2 Graphene, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Plinius SA-103 (2 in mono), AMR DP-777 SE, Aurender N100H, Marantz AV7005, Stereo REL S/812, Kimber Monocle XL, Kimber Select 1116 ICs, GiK Acoustics Soffit Traps and Bass Trap Panels
    Office System: Bel Canto C5i, Monitor Audio RS1, MacBook Pro, JL Audio F112

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Lunchy View Post
    All great points, but your comments on the WW Silver Electra cords are very interesting...I have them on all my gear except my Ref 5 which takes a 20 amps connector and I've been too cheap to get one for now. I've been tempted to give some Shunyata cables a demo from the cable co...decisions decisions...
    My ears are very sensitive to even a hint of brightness (probably why tubes and vinyl agrees with me). I'm interested to hear what you think of the Shunyata cables if you try them. I'll keep you posted on my Tara Labs experiment.

I'm a big fan of your speakers! I've owned them in the past, and now I've purchased a pair of Studio 2's. I bet your Krell amp is a terrific match for the Salon 2's.
    Haha, that's how I bumped into Barry. Local dealer has a pair of used Krell 450mcxs he just got in, did a search on them and up came Barry on a HT forum with the Salon 2s and Krell amps. Right now, the Krell Evos are the front runner for my next amp...

Allen

I connect my Oppo with both the HDMI (for movies) and the multi-channel analog (for music)--I greatly prefer the greater sense of presence and warmth of the analog outs for music.
    B&W803D3; McIntosh MA9000 integrated amp; Esoteric K-03 SACD/CD player; VPI Prime Signature/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze; Sennheiser HD800S and AudezeLCD-XC headphones

Quote Originally Posted by Bachtoven View Post
    I connect my Oppo with both the HDMI (for movies) and the multi-channel analog (for music)--
    I greatly prefer the greater sense of presence and warmth of the analog outs for music.
    I'm not surprised at all.
    ...Many universal DVD (and BD) players I had/have over the years I have always preferred the analog multichannel connections over the HDMI one (sound quality wise). ...But the bass management is never complete (not like in the SSP).

And the Oppo 105 has a good DAC (an ESS Sabre32 one - 8-channel DAC on a chip, just for that function).
    And no matter what DAC(s) is/are used in the SSP (Marantz, Denon, Onkyo, Integra, NAD, Meridian, Classe, ...).

HDMI might be simpler and cheaper (less expensive than 4 pair of interconnects), but it is the connection from hell!
    Good enough for picture (video) but for audio quality just too jittery and antiseptic. IMO & Experience.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Oppo 105 Review