LS28 Tube life problems
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Post Thanks / Like

LS28 Tube life problems

Happy new year guys.
    I've had my LS28 since early 2017. Purchased brand new.
    Wonderful unit - sounds great.
    However at around 947 hours the stock right side tubes started to crackle. I swapped the tubes out with new items. The left side was fine.
    Now running the new tubes - at around 850 hours I notice that the right side tubes start to make crackles again.
    Again - left side was fine.
    I changed the tubes out again and this time decided to try EH units. Just recently the right side started to crackle again. Around 400 hours into the new tubes.

The unit sounds lovely when new tubes are installed.
    The unit is also housed in a hifi rack and is on still points.
    The rack is well ventilated.
    Above the LS28 is a PH9 - and that unit has been problem free as was purchased at the same time. The tubes in the PH9 give no problems.

Has anyone experienced similar issues with ARC gear?
    Any thoughts on what is wrong with my unit that is causing these issues?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: LS28 Tube life problems

Had a similar situation on an Audio Horizon preamp.
    I monitored all of the voltage parameters on the tubes and noticed a variation in heater voltage.
    The unit had a constant current source circuit on the heaters along with a soft start circuit.
    I both discussed this issue with the designer and also sent the unit in for servicing but was never corrected.
    Just had to live with it.
    Sold it but did inform the buyer of the issue.
    Has ARC provided any suggestions?
    My System:
    A trusty old Pioneer PD-65 as a Transport, Lumin A-1, a Merrill Heirloom T.T. as sources. A Lampizator DAC to Teo Cables to a SP-14 Tubed PreAmp, Pass XA30.5 , Fusion speaker cables, AudioKinesis Zephryn 46 Speakers. pair Rythmik F-12 subs, EP2050, Kaplan Power cables, Cerious Tech Graphine XT P.C., Hydra power conditioner, Two dedicated 20Amp power lines. DIY corner traps and Acoustic Geometry Curves for room treatment.

Post Thanks / Like

another LS28 owner here, almost 2 years old, zero issues, not sure of current hours. I'll have to check....Ö..

Let us know what ARC has to say
    Cheers ! Ö. Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Haygeebaby, your situation is intolerable. I do not know what is wrong with your LS 28, but this issue is crying for ARC factory service. Not sure if your unit is under warranty, but regardless, it needs ARC factory service. You say you love the unit. So keep it and get it properly serviced. At a minimum, call Greg at ARC. He can suggest next steps.

Mike, do you know whether the member's LS 28, which was purchased new in 2017 is still under factory warranty.

Bruce
    System description: VPI Classic "2.7" (basic Classic turntable plinth, with Classic 3 tone arm base and SS wand; upgraded stock Classic 600 rpm motor for 300 rpm motor); Lyra Kleos cartridge; VPI periphery ring and SS clamp; 35 pound maple TT slab base; ARC PH-8 phono pre; ARC Ref 6 linestage; ARC Ref CD-8 CD player; ARC Ref 150 SE power amp; Paradigm Signature 8 (v3)speakers w/ BE dome tweeters; Kimber Hero I/Cs; Kimber speaker cables.

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bifwynne View Post
    Haygeebaby, your situation is intolerable. I do not know what is wrong with your LS 28, but this issue is crying for ARC factory service. Not sure if your unit is under warranty, but regardless, it needs ARC factory service. You say you love the unit. So keep it and get it properly serviced. At a minimum, call Greg at ARC. He can suggest next steps.

Mike, do you know whether the member's LS 28, which was purchased new in 2017 is still under factory warranty.

Bruce
    I donít know. Iím sorry youíre having issues. Hopefully ARC can get it straightened out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, Constellation Audio, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones & Loudspeakers, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, Stein Music Products, Stenheim Loudspeakers, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/