Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Joining the system: Brinkmann Taurus turntable - stunning industrial design with superb performance

This is a coming home. 

When first getting back into vinyl a few years ago, I was not entirely sure whether I should make the plunge. I had a good digital system. Thus, I first tested a Clearaudio Performance DC with a Virtuoso V2 cart. It was an OK-ish MM system, but it left me a bit cold, even though I also tried it in my own system at home. When I brought it back to the store, being a bit lukewarm after the home demo, the dealer asked me to stay a bit longer. Then he demoed the Brinkmann Bardo to me.

The Bardo was everything I had been looking for, just incredible performance. All the detail, all the dynamics, all the great vinyl sound I was after. But more than 10K for my first turntable was simply too much for a test, whether I really wanted to get back into vinyl (had not played vinyl since my teenage years).

So, I eventually settled for a VPI Prime with an Ortofon Cadenza Bronze. Nice ‘table, but after a while I felt the unipivot arm was a bit messy. Therefore, I later switched to the AMG Viella, tried their own Teatro cart with it, and eventually upgraded to a Benz Micro SLR Gullwing, which I still very much like.

Fast forward a two years, this autumn I visited a smallish audio show in Germany, and heard a demo of the brand new Brinkmann Taurus direct-drive turntable. It was like the Bardo, but even better, adding more low-end heft, while maintaining the incredible dynamics of a direct drive system. I immediately conveyed my interest, and put the AMG up for sale. A couple weeks later I put in an order for the Taurus. I had to wait a bit, as the first batch was immediately sold out, after introduction at Munich High End 2019.

Industrial design
    The Taurus comes with a 40 mm resonance-optimized Duraluminium chassis weighing 12 Kg, derived from the Brinkmann Balance.

This allows it to deliver the blackest backgrounds, and a bass performance on par with the Balance reference system. It adds a re-engineered direct-drive motor, and comes with a 10 Kg platter with a glass top. The performance critical platter bearing system is a hydro-dynamic, noiseless and maintenance free sliding contact precision bearing. No additional heating is required due to the the direct-drive motor. It offers a perfect combination of great dynamics paired with bottom heft. The turntable weighs 22 Kg in total.

The Taurus’ beautiful industrial design betters the plinthless Bardo through even clearer lines, with a truly stunning industrial design. I would call it a classic design, but it’s not traditional like e.g. a Linn LP 12. So I will call it a modern classic design. This is what vinyl play should be about: highest level of mechanical skill paired with great style. My suspicion is that this table will become an immediate classic.

Direct Drive Motor
    While utilizing similar technology as in the Bardo and Oasis turntables, Helmut Brinkmann wanted to make his in-house built direct-drive motor even better, and re-designed it for the Taurus. The magnetic field motor comes with 8-pole magnet ring (instead 4-phase in the Bardo) to eliminate cogging more traditional direct-drive turntables are prone to. Instead of one initiation loop the Brinkmann applies constant acceleration through several magnets, and therefore maintains a smoother Rotation.

(The picture shows the Bardo motor, as I did not find a Taurus one).

While some may think a high torque motor is great for turntables, as e.g. typically used in Technics turntables for fast start-up desired by their DJ and Radio audience, this is actually one of the main root causes for cogging. in comparison, the Brinkmann direct-drive is designed to operate with low torque for a more even spin.

Brinkmann state this is the best direct-drive turntable they have ever built.

12.1” Brinkmann arm
    The Brinkmann top-range arm uses Breuer-style precision ball bearings for both vertical and lateral movement. While being flexible in both required dimensions it is not wobbly like uni-pivot tonearms, which I very much like. This makes it stable, and nice and easy to operate. The tonearm is at the same time detailed, lush in the mid-range, and offers a solid deep bass.

This design is not new, but the Brinkmann 12.1” is considered to be one of the best tonearms on the market, so that should be good enough for me. Of course, there are things like the Swedish Analogue Technologies tonearm for 50K, which is considerably better according to Mikey from Stereophile. But I buy semi-serious crazy priced audio toys, not batshit crazy priced.

The lift mechanism is immaculate and actually works as intended. It’s very precise. This is unlike in the AMG tonearm, which lowers itself after a while, as the mechanism is not able to hold the weight for very long.

Wireless speed controller
    This is a new feature. While the Balance still has a wired controller, the Taurus comes with a wireless motor speed selector. It can be charged via a Micro-USB cable. But that does not need to happen very often, as one charge is good for playing 10K turntable sides.

HRS base
    I have been drooling about this for a while, but was simply shunning the cost. The Harmonic Resolution Systems M3X2 green dot isolation base provides a massive granite platter to place the turntable on, and offers several constraining layers of resonance damping. It comes with additional vibration isolation footers with a suspension mechanism. The base is suitable to hold gear between 21-39 Kg, and weighs itself a cool 19,5 Kg.

While having my system on a high quality Finite Elemente rack, the HRS base adds significantly to suspension and damping of the turntable. The result is impressive, absolute calm.

Sound
    Last but not least, how does the Taurus sound? One word: amazing.

This table gets all the details from the vinyl grooves without being even a bit analytical. While quick on its feet, and very dynamic through the direct-drive, the heavy turntable chassis and high mass platter gives the Taurus the necessary substance to dig deep in the lower frequencies as well. The tonearm is fast and accurate, yet not light-footed.

In summary, I am truly delighted about this addition to my system. It’s all Brinkmann front-ends from now on. A friend of mine said I should have known it better, gotten a Brinkmann in the first place, and saved some money on the way. But the Taurus was not available at that time. And my system is not a destination, it’s a journey. Wouldn’t want to miss any of it.

The Brinkmann Taurus is a truly superb high end turntable. Highly recommended.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Joining the system: Brinkmann Taurus turntable - stunning industrial design with superb performance

After unpacking and assembling the turntable, I found that the tonearm did not have a finger lift. I contacted Brinkmann Audio, and asked whether that was an omission, as there was none in the package.

Helmut Brinkmann responded and explained, that he does not recommend use of a finger lift. Reason being, that the tonearm lift and tonearm mechanisms are so precise, that you can more easily and more accurately cue just with your finger.

At first I was not very convinced, but nevertheless tested it when starting to use the record player. And it is true.

The lift mechanism keeps the arm up as long as you want, allowing to move it to the first or any track very comfortably. The arm movements are also so stable, that it is very easy to cue with your finger, without being worried of an unintended needle drop.

This is very different from the unipivot VPI arm, which would have fallen off its needle, when trying to cue with a finger. Also with the AMG 12J2 this was not possible, as the lift mechanism was not solid enough to hold up the arm for very long.

Learned something new, and it’s nice.

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Re: Joining the system: Brinkmann Taurus turntable - stunning industrial design with superb performance

After selling my AMG already in November I now do have a pile of new albums I never got to listen to before.

E.g. this second hand Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio one, I found online.

Already after a couple days I must say, I find it to be true what they say about direct drive turntables: they do have incredible dynamics and PRaT. At least this one does Joining the system: Brinkmann Taurus turntable - stunning industrial design with superb performance.

Audioshark

Re: Joining the system: Brinkmann Taurus turntable - stunning industrial design with superb performance

Very nice! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Very nice! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks Mike, very kind. I’m truly happy with the change.

Brinkmann craftsmanship is really second to none. Really solid.

Vinyl at its best.

wonderful turntable!! congrats and wishing you many hours of pleasant listening... and i bet that tsuyoshi yamamoto trio LP sounds superb on that rig.

cheers!!
    viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | almarro a318b + air tight atc-5 (phono) | clearaudio concept + virtuoso v2 MM | t+a dac8 dsd + diy transport + roon rock
    alp-tone audio analog cables | core audio designs plyKraft 3L | hifi racks ltd podium t5-iii

Boy I'd love to hear that table and the arm sounds like a dream to use.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by aKnyght View Post
    wonderful turntable!! congrats and wishing you many hours of pleasant listening... and i bet that tsuyoshi yamamoto trio LP sounds superb on that rig.

cheers!!
    Thanks Joining the system: Brinkmann Taurus turntable - stunning industrial design with superb performance.

Already started the many hours of listening, so far I can’t get enough. Tsuyoshi sounds great.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Boy I'd love to hear that table and the arm sounds like a dream to use.
    I’m sure they will have a demo at RMAF.

Of course the Florida Audio Expo would be better, but not sure all European manufacturers have yet noticed the new opportunity.

First review for the Taurus is out from German Stereo Magazine. They rank the performance at 100%, on par with their reference turntables, such as Linn Klimax LP12 in full version, Clearaudio Innovation Wood, Reed Muse 3C, SME Model 15, and Technics SL-1000R. That puts the Taurus in good company.

An English online version is not yet available, but here’s the German pre-announcement of the test:

https://www.stereo.de/artikel/brinkm...uch-bei-stereo

Great write up, clearly tells about the real passion on what you assembled!

I also like and concur with Helmuts response, really supports the brand.

Enjoy in best of health and listening!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Quote Originally Posted by UltraFast69 View Post
    Great write up, clearly tells about the real passion on what you assembled!

I also like and concur with Helmuts response, really supports the brand.

Enjoy in best of health and listening!

Thanks Ed, it appears we’re on a similar tangent currently. In case I’ve understood correctly, your recently acquired Kuzma is also a direct drive Joining the system: Brinkmann Taurus turntable - stunning industrial design with superb performance.

The reference to Helmut’s comment definitely holds. The Brinkmann turntable build quality is just so rock solid, it’s unbelievable. Absolutely nothing wobbles, everything is so sturdy it’s a pleasure to operate.

Talking about engineering excellence, fascinating.

Rock’n roll test: and oh yeah, baby, this dude also rocks!

Randy Rhoads guitars are nicely meaty, and well defined. And the bass and drums punch through with adequate heft.

No other noises, blackest of black background. Music appearing out of nothing really.

This is another nice feature I discovered: when the platter is spinning 33 rpm, the indicator lights up green. For 45 rpm it’s red.

Awesome looking table... congratulations!
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    Awesome looking table... congratulations!
    Thx Randy, I also like the design. It’s kinda cool looking.

Fantastic TT - have fun!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
    hifi:
    power: Audioplan Powerstar, Audioplan Finefilter, Audioplan Powerplant, Powercord
    tube amp: Jadis DA 50 Signature RC, Line Magnetic 508ia
    speaker: Living Voice Avatar 2
    turntable: Pro-Ject Xtension 10 + Ortofon Quintet Black MC
    phono stage: Remton 383 MKII
    cables: Audioplan Musicable bic 7a, Profigold, Wilbrand

home-cinema: Sony blu-ray, Yamaha rx v2700, Heco Metas 700 (4x), Heco center

the kuzma stabi r is a belt drive tt...

while on the subject and given your experience with the viella and now the taurus, it would be interesting to hear your practical thoughts on direct vs belt drive turntables at this level.
    viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | almarro a318b + air tight atc-5 (phono) | clearaudio concept + virtuoso v2 MM | t+a dac8 dsd + diy transport + roon rock
    alp-tone audio analog cables | core audio designs plyKraft 3L | hifi racks ltd podium t5-iii

Gorgeous turntable that will be awesome for many years ..... Enjoy!!
    Buddy

Boulder 1160 Amp, 1110 Pre-Amp
    Audio Research Ref. 3 Phono-Pre
    Vivid Audio Giya G2S2 Speakers
    MSB Reference DAC
    Innuos Statement w/Next. Gen. PS
    B & W DB1D Subwoofer X2
    Audioquest Niagara 5000 Power Conditioner
    Kronos Pro Turntable w/Kronoscope RS tonearm + SCPS-1 PS + MSL Platinum Cart.
    VPI HW-40 Turntable w/ Lyra Etna cartridge
    Jay's Audio CDT3-MK3 CD Transport
    Schiit Mjolnir 2 HPA + Audeze LCD X headphones
    Adona Equipment Rack and Amp Stands
    Furutech Outlets and Plates + NCF Booster
    Shunyata Cables
    Synergistic Research Galileo SX Ground Block, FEQ 4, Ethernet Switch UEF, Black Box + Room Acoustic treatments

while on the subject and given your experience with the viella and now the taurus, it would be interesting to hear your practical thoughts on direct vs belt drive turntables at this level.
    Comparing those two, you can’t say they’re night and day. They’re more similar than different, and both great ‘tables. Both also feature high-mass platters, which even out any fluctuations.

But of course the belt is causing vibrations. Being pulled on one side, and looser on the other, creates a very slightly uneven motion. Similarly, direct drives are typically prone to cogging, except in the Taurus that is eliminated through the low torque motor.

But the Taurus’ direct drive has some fluidity to it, a flow and a jump factor, which makes it nicely dynamic. I very much like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Audio 1 View Post
    Gorgeous turntable that will be awesome for many years ..... Enjoy!!
    Appreciate it. The mechanical build quality of Brinkmann TTs is absolutely awesome.

Fantastic turntable, looks awesome.
    Heard the bardo and the balance, I’m sure the new Taurus is wonderful like his brothers

Quote Originally Posted by gabweb View Post
    Fantastic turntable, looks awesome.
    Heard the bardo and the balance, I’m sure the new Taurus is wonderful like his brothers
    Thanks, very kind. The Taurus is a bigger brother of the Bardo, and features the same chassis as the reference level Balance. Brinkmann say it’s their best direct drive yet.

wow kuoppis!
    brinkman is pure love about what he does from day 1., every single product for decades.
    enjoy it....and you might go for full loom brinkmann now

That’s right, my sources are all Brinkmann now, and I like it.

No plans to change the Soulution amps though, as I am very pleased with their performance.

In comparison to the Brinkmann magnetic Direct Drive motor, here’s a picture of the sinus motor for the belt drives. It is derived from the DD motor and uses a 4-Phase/ 12 Pole circuitry.

Optimized the Taurus’ setup once more today with a new tool: the Clearaudio IEC cartridge alignment gauge. This one is significantly better, and more accurate than the Feickert Protractor, which actually is not accurate at all.

And with such a precision instrument as the Taurus, any inaccuracy shows. Significant improvement in definition, colors of sound, body, dynamics, dimensionality, and sound-staging.

I’m listening to Ahmad Jamal/ Saturday Morning right now, really fantastic.

Kuoppis what a great turntable you got there and the new alignment tool , i am sure it is pure joy. Huge Congratulations
    Flemming

Lumin X1
    Rotel Michi S5
    Focus Audio FS788

Inter connect : Nordost Tyr 2 ( 2 Meter )
    LS cable : Yter
    Power Cables : Nordost Frey 2 ( 2 Meter )
    Nordost QB8
    Fibercable for feeding the Lumin X1
    Rack : Finite Elemente Pagode

Quote Originally Posted by FDPDK View Post
    Kuoppis what a great turntable you got there and the new alignment tool , i am sure it is pure joy. Huge Congratulations
    Many thanks Flemming, it sure is a lots of fun right now Joining the system: Brinkmann Taurus turntable - stunning industrial design with superb performance.

Like Kuoppis, I too am an ex-owner of the AMG Viella V12 with matching Turbo tonearm. Over the last year, I've been able to listen to several highend turntables covering direct drive, rim drive and belt drive designs. As has been said by people who know a lot more than me, it can be misleading to make generalisations based on drive type. There are so many TT design parameters that affect the sound. I suggest you read Ken Kessler's opening comments in his UK review of the VPI HW-40 (HiFi News). He makes some observations on the tradeoff's of DD's vs belt drives that are consistent with what I've heard.

Kuoppis - congratulations! The Taurus was on my list too but in the end I decided it was just a bit more than I wanted to pay, and I did not want to have to economise on the tonearm too much. I have read your comments on the Brinkmann 12" tonearm with great interest, and after owning an AMG arm, I can relate to what you've said. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Pallen View Post
    Like Kuoppis, I too am an ex-owner of the AMG Viella V12 with matching Turbo tonearm. Over the last year, I've been able to listen to several highend turntables covering direct drive, rim drive and belt drive designs. As has been said by people who know a lot more than me, it can be misleading to make generalisations based on drive type. There are so many TT design parameters that affect the sound. I suggest you read Ken Kessler's opening comments in his UK review of the VPI HW-40 (HiFi News). He makes some observations on the tradeoff's of DD's vs belt drives that are consistent with what I've heard.

Kuoppis - congratulations! The Taurus was on my list too but in the end I decided it was just a bit more than I wanted to pay, and I did not want to have to economise on the tonearm too much. I have read your comments on the Brinkmann 12" tonearm with great interest, and after owning an AMG arm, I can relate to what you've said. Enjoy!
    Thank you for sharing your insights Alan, very interesting. And I agree, it takes considerably more than picking a type of drive mechanism to make a good turntable.

Switching from the Viella to something else is complaining on a high level. So out of interest, what did you go for?

And thank you for the kind comments, I really enjoy the Taurus.

I haven't made a final decision yet...

Adjusting Azimuth on your TT is typically a rather arduous task. As any changes to Azimuth are very delicate, it requires great accuracy, and is also prone to error. Not so much with the Brinkmann.

This clever little tool helps ensure the headshell is absolutely plane with the platter surface, before mounting the cart. Remainder of the adjustment is done by setting the anti-skating screw to center the image with a female voice recording until everything sounds perfect. Et voilà.

Sometimes a little smart thinking beforehand can save quite a bit of hard work afterwards Joining the system: Brinkmann Taurus turntable - stunning industrial design with superb performance.

Cart freshly serviced and perfectly setup. What a pleasure to listen.

- tracking force, 1.95g
    - VTA 90 degrees
    - azimuth adjusted with dongle
    - cart alignment with Clearaudio IEC gauge
    - tracking force set by ear

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    Cart freshly serviced and perfectly set up. What a pleasure to listen.

- tracking force, 1.95g
    - VTA 90 degrees
    - azimuth adjusted with dongle
    - cart alignment with Clearaudio IEC gauge
    - tracking force set by ear

...just saw my mistake now, last line should of course read: anti-skating set by ear Joining the system: Brinkmann Taurus turntable - stunning industrial design with superb performance.

Very sweet looking new turntable, congrats!. I'm running the Brinkmann 12.1 / Lyra Etna SL along with Kuzma 4-point and Reed 3P on a 3-arm table and tend to prefer Brinkmann for it's natural unforced yet full bodied sound. The design is simple like Breuer but extremely well engineered material wise and assembled with great precision (I like the rigid bearing design). It's a fantastic match with the Lyra.

Also have the AMG Viella with 12" arm and I really enjoy it except for the cueing mech on the arm... like you mentioned won't stay up.

So enjoy your new toys and protractor ... I'm off to demo the Taurus soon, liking Brinkmann goods.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphio View Post
    The design is simple like Breuer but extremely well engineered material wise and assembled with great precision (I like the rigid bearing design). It's a fantastic match with the Lyra.
    So enjoy your new toys and protractor ... I'm off to demo the Taurus soon, liking Brinkmann goods.
    Yes the Brinkmann Arm is very good--I've heard it in Systems--I've owned 3 Breuer Arms and as good as the Brinkmann is it ain't no Breuer .

The posters new TT and setup looks very admirable I agree the finish and presentation is excellent.

Bruce

Very sweet looking new turntable, congrats!. I'm running the Brinkmann 12.1 / Lyra Etna SL along with Kuzma 4-point and Reed 3P on a 3-arm table and tend to prefer Brinkmann for it's natural unforced yet full bodied sound. The design is simple like Breuer but extremely well engineered material wise and assembled with great precision (I like the rigid bearing design). It's a fantastic match with the Lyra.

Also have the AMG Viella with 12" arm and I really enjoy it except for the cueing mech on the arm... like you mentioned won't stay up.

Thanks Ralphio for the friendly comments. Very interesting to hear about your experiences with the Brinkmann 12.1” on your table. Not sure I’ve ever seen a 3-arm table - pictures? Nice choice of tonearms you have assembled. The AMG 12” plays well, but the failing lift mechanism is a bit of a drag.

I have heard from others the Brinkmann and Etna SL go together really well. Please share your experiences with the Taurus demo.

Thinking about getting the RöNT II tube power supply as well, have heard it should give the TT a nice notch up in performance. What I’ve understood, is that the impact is even greater with the direct drive TTs. Although, I think the Taurus is already reference level. The mechanical perfection is just so awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Yes the Brinkmann Arm is very good--I've heard it in Systems--I've owned 3 Breuer Arms and as good as the Brinkmann is it ain't no Breuer .

The posters new TT and setup looks very admirable I agree the finish and presentation is excellent.

Bruce
    Thanks Bruce. I’ve heard the Brinkmann has tighter mechanical tolerances, which makes sense based on the overall build quality of the turntables.

German Stereo Magazine on the Taurus. They also released a full German language review in the 02/20 issue.

https://stereo-magazine.com/archive/...63096fa5dccf14

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    Thanks Ralphio for the friendly comments. Very interesting to hear about your experiences with the Brinkmann 12.1” on your table. Not sure I’ve ever seen a 3-arm table - pictures? Nice choice of tonearms you have assembled. The AMG 12” plays well, but the failing lift mechanism is a bit of a drag.

I have heard from others the Brinkmann and Etna SL go together really well. Please share your experiences with the Taurus demo.

Thinking about getting the RöNT II tube power supply as well, have heard it should give the TT a nice notch up in performance. What I’ve understood, is that the impact is even greater with the direct drive TTs. Although, I think the Taurus is already reference level. The mechanical perfection is just so awesome.

Hi Kuoppis, The Brinkmann RöNT II Power supply is something I would not hesitate to add on your table.

Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Quote Originally Posted by UltraFast69 View Post
    Hi Kuoppis, The Brinkmann RöNT II Power supply is something I would not hesitate to add on your table.

Getting one tomorrow Joining the system: Brinkmann Taurus turntable - stunning industrial design with superb performance.

Kuoppis, do you prefer a record weight over the screw down clamp usually supplied with a Brinkmann turntable?

Kuoppis, do you prefer a record weight over the screw down clamp usually supplied with a Brinkmann turntable?
    I have been using the Stillpoints LPS for a while, and think it’s really good. But so far I haven’t tried the Brinkmann screw clamp with its counter ring under the record yet. This combination really clamps the record down. Need to give it try.

On the AMG Viella I had before the LPS was way superior.

Pimping-up the Taurus, or as some might say, completing the setup: adding the RöNT II tubed power supply.

Yet again another excellent example, how important good power is for audio systems. The RöNT II adds clarity, calm and spaciousness to the playback, but also improves dynamics or PRaT as Brits would say. Very nice addition for perfecting the setup.

The RöNT II features two low resistance Pentodes (PL36), and one full wave rectifier (5AR4). The principle is simple. Secondary AC voltage is rectified and fed through a line choke to the pentodes to clean the mains power. The cathode tubes work like power filters to provide the turntable with clean power. It is a single class A circuit topology. The result is superb.

And the unit looks great too. Typical exemplary Brinkmann quality with a glass top finish, so you can see the electronics and the tubes inside.

The RöNT II is a more powerful version compared to the original, designed to feed the direct drive TTs. Brinkmann DD motor turntables need 500mA for start up, while the belt drives require about 150mA.

Really cool unit. Daylight picture with better view of the innards. Now slotted-in between the system components.

The icing on the cake arrived yesterday. Now I’m (dust) covered.

Are you able to level the plinth or does the audio rack itself have to level as with Brinkmann Balance?
    Also, it looks like a second tonearm can be added ... making it even more enticing.

It really looks like a great setup!

Are you able to level the plinth or does the audio rack itself have to level as with Brinkmann Balance?
    Also, it looks like a second tonearm can be added ... making it even more enticing.

It really looks like a great setup!
    You level the rack or the base, as with the Balance.

And yes, a second tonearm can be added.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team