Joining the system: Brinkmann Taurus turntable - stunning industrial design with superb performance - Page 4
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Joining the system: Brinkmann Taurus turntable - stunning industrial design with superb performance

Quote Originally Posted by aKnyght View Post
    the kuzma stabi r is a belt drive tt...

while on the subject and given your experience with the viella and now the taurus, it would be interesting to hear your practical thoughts on direct vs belt drive turntables at this level.
    Like Kuoppis, I too am an ex-owner of the AMG Viella V12 with matching Turbo tonearm. Over the last year, I've been able to listen to several highend turntables covering direct drive, rim drive and belt drive designs. As has been said by people who know a lot more than me, it can be misleading to make generalisations based on drive type. There are so many TT design parameters that affect the sound. I suggest you read Ken Kessler's opening comments in his UK review of the VPI HW-40 (HiFi News). He makes some observations on the tradeoff's of DD's vs belt drives that are consistent with what I've heard.

Kuoppis - congratulations! The Taurus was on my list too but in the end I decided it was just a bit more than I wanted to pay, and I did not want to have to economise on the tonearm too much. I have read your comments on the Brinkmann 12" tonearm with great interest, and after owning an AMG arm, I can relate to what you've said. Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like

Joining the system: Brinkmann Taurus turntable - stunning industrial design with superb performance

Quote Originally Posted by Pallen View Post
    Like Kuoppis, I too am an ex-owner of the AMG Viella V12 with matching Turbo tonearm. Over the last year, I've been able to listen to several highend turntables covering direct drive, rim drive and belt drive designs. As has been said by people who know a lot more than me, it can be misleading to make generalisations based on drive type. There are so many TT design parameters that affect the sound. I suggest you read Ken Kessler's opening comments in his UK review of the VPI HW-40 (HiFi News). He makes some observations on the tradeoff's of DD's vs belt drives that are consistent with what I've heard.

Kuoppis - congratulations! The Taurus was on my list too but in the end I decided it was just a bit more than I wanted to pay, and I did not want to have to economise on the tonearm too much. I have read your comments on the Brinkmann 12" tonearm with great interest, and after owning an AMG arm, I can relate to what you've said. Enjoy!
    Thank you for sharing your insights Alan, very interesting. And I agree, it takes considerably more than picking a type of drive mechanism to make a good turntable.

Switching from the Viella to something else is complaining on a high level. So out of interest, what did you go for?

And thank you for the kind comments, I really enjoy the Taurus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Benz Micro Gullwing SLR MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Soulution 520 preamp with phono/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist MK II/ Soulution 511/ WyWires Platinum ICs/ Semi-active Lansche Audio 4.2 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ 2x Audioquest Thunder HD for LS/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata AlphaHC (x2)+Alpha+Alpha Analogue+Alpha Digital/ Finite Elemente Pagode/ Stillpoints Ultra SS.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Ayre Codex/ Auralic Aries Mini/ Sbooster LPSU/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Joining the system: Brinkmann Taurus turntable - stunning industrial design with superb performance

I haven't made a final decision yet...

Post Thanks / Like

Joining the system: Brinkmann Taurus turntable - stunning industrial design with superb performance

Adjusting Azimuth on your TT is typically a rather arduous task. As any changes to Azimuth are very delicate, it requires great accuracy, and is also prone to error. Not so much with the Brinkmann.

This clever little tool helps ensure the headshell is absolutely plane with the platter surface, before mounting the cart. Remainder of the adjustment is done by setting the anti-skating screw to center the image with a female voice recording until everything sounds perfect. Et voilà.

Sometimes a little smart thinking beforehand can save quite a bit of hard work afterwards .

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Benz Micro Gullwing SLR MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Soulution 520 preamp with phono/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist MK II/ Soulution 511/ WyWires Platinum ICs/ Semi-active Lansche Audio 4.2 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ 2x Audioquest Thunder HD for LS/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata AlphaHC (x2)+Alpha+Alpha Analogue+Alpha Digital/ Finite Elemente Pagode/ Stillpoints Ultra SS.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Ayre Codex/ Auralic Aries Mini/ Sbooster LPSU/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

5. Likes FDPDK, XV-1, aKnyght, UltraFast69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cart freshly serviced and perfectly setup. What a pleasure to listen.

- tracking force, 1.95g
    - VTA 90 degrees
    - azimuth adjusted with dongle
    - cart alignment with Clearaudio IEC gauge
    - tracking force set by ear

7. Likes aKnyght liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    Cart freshly serviced and perfectly set up. What a pleasure to listen.

- tracking force, 1.95g
    - VTA 90 degrees
    - azimuth adjusted with dongle
    - cart alignment with Clearaudio IEC gauge
    - tracking force set by ear

...just saw my mistake now, last line should of course read: anti-skating set by ear .

Post Thanks / Like

Very sweet looking new turntable, congrats!. I'm running the Brinkmann 12.1 / Lyra Etna SL along with Kuzma 4-point and Reed 3P on a 3-arm table and tend to prefer Brinkmann for it's natural unforced yet full bodied sound. The design is simple like Breuer but extremely well engineered material wise and assembled with great precision (I like the rigid bearing design). It's a fantastic match with the Lyra.

Also have the AMG Viella with 12" arm and I really enjoy it except for the cueing mech on the arm... like you mentioned won't stay up.

So enjoy your new toys and protractor ... I'm off to demo the Taurus soon, liking Brinkmann goods.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphio View Post
    The design is simple like Breuer but extremely well engineered material wise and assembled with great precision (I like the rigid bearing design). It's a fantastic match with the Lyra.
    So enjoy your new toys and protractor ... I'm off to demo the Taurus soon, liking Brinkmann goods.
    Yes the Brinkmann Arm is very good--I've heard it in Systems--I've owned 3 Breuer Arms and as good as the Brinkmann is it ain't no Breuer .

The posters new TT and setup looks very admirable I agree the finish and presentation is excellent.

Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphio View Post
    Very sweet looking new turntable, congrats!. I'm running the Brinkmann 12.1 / Lyra Etna SL along with Kuzma 4-point and Reed 3P on a 3-arm table and tend to prefer Brinkmann for it's natural unforced yet full bodied sound. The design is simple like Breuer but extremely well engineered material wise and assembled with great precision (I like the rigid bearing design). It's a fantastic match with the Lyra.

Also have the AMG Viella with 12" arm and I really enjoy it except for the cueing mech on the arm... like you mentioned won't stay up.

Thanks Ralphio for the friendly comments. Very interesting to hear about your experiences with the Brinkmann 12.1” on your table. Not sure I’ve ever seen a 3-arm table - pictures? Nice choice of tonearms you have assembled. The AMG 12” plays well, but the failing lift mechanism is a bit of a drag.

I have heard from others the Brinkmann and Etna SL go together really well. Please share your experiences with the Taurus demo.

Thinking about getting the RöNT II tube power supply as well, have heard it should give the TT a nice notch up in performance. What I’ve understood, is that the impact is even greater with the direct drive TTs. Although, I think the Taurus is already reference level. The mechanical perfection is just so awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Yes the Brinkmann Arm is very good--I've heard it in Systems--I've owned 3 Breuer Arms and as good as the Brinkmann is it ain't no Breuer .

The posters new TT and setup looks very admirable I agree the finish and presentation is excellent.

Bruce
    Thanks Bruce. I’ve heard the Brinkmann has tighter mechanical tolerances, which makes sense based on the overall build quality of the turntables.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast