Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Question Behringer suitable Amp

Hello!

I have a pair of Behringer VP1520 speakers and I was wondering which amp is better:

The Behringer KM750 or Behringer KM1700?

Your advice would be well appreciated!

Thanks,

Nicolas.

Super Moderator

Re: Behringer suitable Amp

Welcome
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Welcome, I have no experience but the main difference is one is 2X the watts per channel than the other.

I cannot find a decent set of specs, even on the MFG website.

Reviews for both are similar

I see the speakers are PA Speakers, do you need it Loud or Louder?

Speaker specs show this

• Power Rating: 250W Continuous
    • Peak Power Capacity: 1000W Peak
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Lightbulb Re: Behringer suitable Amp

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfax View Post
    Welcome, I have no experience but the main difference is one is 2X the watts per channel than the other.

I cannot find a decent set of specs, even on the MFG website.

Reviews for both are similar

I see the speakers are PA Speakers, do you need it Loud or Louder?

Speaker specs show this

• Power Rating: 250W Continuous
    • Peak Power Capacity: 1000W Peak

Thanks for your reply.

The KM1700 delivers 2x 500 Watt under 8 Ohm, and the KM750 only 2x 200 Watt under 8 Ohm.

But won't that be too much/powerful for the speakers which are RMS 250W at 8 Ohm each?

There is only a small price difference, so that is not the question.

But I read somewhere the rule of thumb is the amp should be 2x the RMS rating of the speakers.

In this case the speakers are 250W RMS so the amp should deliver max 500W per channel, which seems to be the case of the KM1700.

Does that sound right to you?

I don't have much experiece with this, so I just want to be sure before buying the amp.

Thanks!

Super Moderator

I’ve never heard of that rule of thumb power wise but certainly under powered is worse. Distortion is the speaker killer not ultimate power.

The amp power is not as important as the quality of sound. If there’s a small price difference, check the specs and pick the one that suits your speakers better. For example, if your speakers are very sensitive, I’d pick the quieter amp with probably the lowest distortion.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Red face Re: Behringer suitable Amp

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    I’ve never heard of that rule of thumb power wise but certainly under powered is worse. Distortion is the speaker killer not ultimate power.

The amp power is not as important as the quality of sound. If there’s a small price difference, check the specs and pick the one that suits your speakers better. For example, if your speakers are very sensitive, I’d pick the quieter amp with probably the lowest distortion.
    Hi Joe,

Thanks for your advice! I will go on and buy the KM1700 in that case.

Thanks!

Nicolas.

Super Moderator

Hi Nicolas,

We would love an update once you get the amp and play it for a little while. Good luck!

NAD C 658 streamer.

If the price difference is marginal, spring for the higher power. You're always better off having it and not needing it, than needing it and not having it. What if you change speakers? I suspect the higher powered one would be more desirable for resale and retain a higher % of it's cost should you ever sell it.Last but not least, if you decide you need/want the larger amp, imagine the cost in losing $$ selling the lower powered and etc....
    T+A MP3100HV, T+A PA3100HV. Custom made Furutech cables with ETP-609 distributor with NCF outlets, Harbeth 40.2 Anniversaries.

I would suggest checking into the amps more. If they are priced about the same but one has twice the power there must be other differences. Is one a class D versus class AB would make that kind of power difference at the same price, for example. The lower powered one might very well be a better amp and God knows 200 WPC is a lot of power especially with efficient speakers.

Ok, I just verified that the 750 is class AB while the 1500 is class H. I would go with the 750 if you were looking for an Amp in the $300 +- range.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Behringer suitable Amp