Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

MA252 Tube Rolling

The MA252 is a really good amplifier. It has amazed me how good it feels and it sounds very special. Better then I had expected actually.

I was wondering if anyone has tried tube rolling in this little integrated? I know from past experiences that rolling tubes in the pre-amps I have had was a more subtle difference then in the power amps, but still, has anyone tried.

I have been thinking about trying some Gold Lion tubes, both the 12AX7 (ECC83) and the 12AT7 (ECC81). Any thoughts or opinions?
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Super Moderator

Re: MA252 Tube Rolling

I think the Gold Lions are a great idea. Not insanely expensive and easy to get. Definitely better than stock in my opinion.

I’m so happy you love the MA252. When I got one for my brother, we absolutely fell in love with it. I bet the MA352 is awesome too.

Enjoy!
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Hey Joe, thanks for your input.

Yea, I was looking at the MA352, and besides the price I decided it simply had more than I needed.

Both the MA252 and MA352 use the same pre-amp section, headphone amp, and phono stage from what I have been able to determine.

The 352 has twice the power, but for me the 252 has plenty. The 352 has one additional xlr and one additional rca inputs. Nice but the 252 has all I need. The 352 has two sub outputs versus one on the 252. One is fine, certainly for now and probably forever. The 352 does have the nice McIntosh blue meters. That would be nice, but not really necessary, and certainly not for $2500 more . Oh yea, the 352 has the five band eq with the five little knobs on the front versus the 252 having just bass and treble. Ok, great, but I have not used tone controls in, forever... so it again will just look cool, but never be used. I actually like that on the 252 you can turn off the tone controls.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Super Moderator

I just mentioned the MA352 as an endorsement for others seeing this. There’s a handful of McIntosh gear that is simply outstanding. Those are on the list. As you can tell now with the MA252, well deserved accolades.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    I just mentioned the MA352 as an endorsement for others seeing this. There’s a handful of McIntosh gear that is simply outstanding. Those are on the list. As you can tell now with the MA252, well deserved accolades.
    Totally agree, and the MA352 is a gorgeous unit. If I could justify the difference it would be sitting on my shelf. I agree the MA252 and MA352 would definitely deserve to be on the list ...

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I definitely preferred the Gold Lion 12AX7s over the stock tubes back when I had my C2300 preamp. Like Joe said, they're not all that expensive. Give them a try.
    Rance

Synology DS411+II | GigaFOILv4 + Keces P3 Power Supply | Shunyata Alpha Ethernet | Lumin S1 | VAC Master Line Stage | VAC Signature 200 iQ amps | Kharma Elegance dB11-S | SVS PC-4000 subs x 2 | Shunyata 6000/T v2 | Kharma Elegance signal cables| Luminous Audio Technology power cables | Isoacoustics OREA vibration isolators | Solid Tech racks | Vicoustic room treatments | Acoustic Sciences Corporation IsoWall + IsoCeiling construction

What are you hoping to gain by tube rolling?
    More bass, warmer, faster, more detail, more sparkle ???
    While 5751's have a slighly lower gain, they have been superior to 12ax7's in everything that I have tried them in.
    Many flavors available in both the tube families that you have mentioned.
    My System
    Acoustic Revive RTP-4
    Innuos Pulsar
    Lampizator BALTIC4
    Cary SLP-05
    Pass XA30.5 or
    Line Magnetic 845ia
    Reference 3A Reflector's
    Pr SVS SB3000 Subs
    Cables & Tubes "subject to change without notification".
    Complete system on battery power/solar
    Core Audio Design Rack
    DIY bass traps and custom curved diffusors.

I haven't tried tube rolling in mine but I have considered it. It should be interesting to see what you think of the Gold Lions in the 252. When the MA352 came out, I tried to justify trading in my 252 but in the end, I realized that I really don't need any more power or features than I already have.

I will certainly let you know. I probably won't grab any until I sell some other pieces.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I have been reading user's reviews (along with a few publish professional reviews). It seems like a vast majority (like 99 out of 100) people who have listened to this amplifier absolutely love it. Many many people have reported that they looked at the amp and had to have one. Every one seems to report back how much they love their MA252!

One reviewer was talking about pitting it against his $30,000 Pass pre/amps combo. Obviously the MA252 could not match the Pass, but he was amazed at how good it did. So he had to find integrated amps to compare it against. His buddy had a Luxman so he loaned it to him for a while. Comparing the two, while the Luxman excelled in some areas over all the McIntosh proved itself and he very much preferred it. His wife called it silky smooth. His buddy came over (the Luxman owner) to listen to the Mc and they ended up listening for several hours. He was thoroughly impressed! Of course I am paraphrasing here, not quoting his review .

The point is that most everything I read, and I am talking A LOT of user reviews, it appears as if people love the MA252!!! I definitely can understand why.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Super Moderator

My guess is that I don’t think the MA252/352 have conventional autoformers. I believe this gives them a cleaner sound while retaining most of the classic McIntosh musicality.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Ahhhh... makes sense although I do not totally understand autoformers. I do know that the MA252 uses ThermalTrak output transistors which is what T+A uses. I assume the MA352 also uses these.

I also think the tubes in the pre-amp section adds some warmth, or as the one reviewer wrote, his wife said that amp sounds silky smooth!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    My guess is that I don’t think the MA252/352 have conventional autoformers. I believe this gives them a cleaner sound while retaining most of the classic McIntosh musicality.
    It doesn't.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Why not a nos Siemens long plate. Clean, clear, balanced and extended. Or there are Mullards with more mid band rich warmth. Amprex are similar to Siemens. They can be found for $120, if you know where to look.

I have always liked the Gold Lion's and I have heard that they match McIntosh gear very nicely. Think I will give them a try. I also read the Mullards and Gold Lions are very similar, current ones anyway. Don't think I want to go down the NOS rabbit hole again .

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    I have always liked the Gold Lion's and I have heard that they match McIntosh gear very nicely. Think I will give them a try. I also read the Mullards and Gold Lions are very similar, current ones anyway. Don't think I want to go down the NOS rabbit hole again .
    They should be since they are made in the same factory.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

I wouldn't go nos with kt88 but you cant beat a good nos12ax7 with New Sensor tubes.

I decided to try some Gold Lions. I liked Gold Lions in other tube gear that I have had and I have read several threads where people talk about Gold Lion tubes working well with McIntosh equipment. After I get them I'll let you know how they work out.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

The Gold Lion tubes arrived. Still amazed at how fast Upscale gets them to me.

A few albums in. Wow, what a difference. Much more detailed, individual instruments are easy to pick out, air around each instrument, easy to listen to subtle background instruments playing.

Yet, warmer, smoother. Cat Stevens voice was much less grough, smoother for example. Separation and imaging were nicely improved. Base is tighter. I would say the MA252 improved 3-4 notches, in my view. If you have a MA252 you oh it to yourself to try these Gold Lion gold pin tubes!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Super Moderator

Randy,

Tubes need about 50+ hours to break in and settle down. Your sound should improve. Congrats!

NAD C 658 streamer.

Yea, I thought that they should improve with a bit of time. But, right out of the box the difference was very noticeable! Your brother needs a set of these tubes! Gold Lions all the way around, all four tubes .

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Boy, this is some exciting news! Right out of the box they sound better!

Can you tell us which grade and other options you chose to go with?

Thanks!

I got them from Upscale Audio. Shipping to me is ridiculously fast. I decided to get the Gold grade. I did not feel it was worth paying extra for the Platinum grade or "Kevin's Stash" since I believe that is more or less just a money maker for them. I personally believe the gold pin version is important (that is all that Upscale sells, other venders sell a lower variety), especially with the McIntosh since the the tube sockets are also gold receptacles.

First listen last evening it was an instant noticeable improvement to me. Of course, your mileage may vary. For me it was the largest improvement for dollar spent ever in this crazy hobby!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Thanks for the helpful info Randy! Kevin's a great guy to deal with and there's never any pressure at his shop. He'll sit you down to audition something and leave the room until you have to go look for him. I like that.

Hmmm I should try with my MC75s and C2500.
    Is Sophia good I wonder?
    McInotsh MC75 (2) amps
    Audiophonics LPA-S400ET Class D amp
    Marchand XB44 crossover
    McIntosh C2500 pre
    Luxman 505Ux integrated to drive "B" Speakers
    EAT C Sharp with Ortofon Cadenza Blue
    TEAC SD1000/Yamaha SACD Blu Ray player
    Sonus Faber Olympica I
    dual Rythmik sealed subs
    AKG and Sennheiser phones, Feliks headphone amp
    Vintage Pioneer table and Kenwood 3 head tape deck
    Nitty Gritty RCM, and DeGritter
    McIntosh, AQ, Nordost, and Cullen Cables
    Mytek Brooklyn DAC+/Sonare Ultra Rendu, SGC I transporter 5
    Tidal and Roon

I have heard good things about them. I know many times I have heard people say how satisfied they are with the McIntosh and Golden Lion tube combo.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I have a 252. How difficult is it to change out the tubes? Do you just pull out the tube by hand and replace it? Wiggle it out? Suggestions welcome

Quote Originally Posted by tgreuling View Post
    I have a 252. How difficult is it to change out the tubes? Do you just pull out the tube by hand and replace it? Wiggle it out? Suggestions welcome
    Always grab tubes by the base. Use light pressure and wiggle all around "gently".
    First Sound Mark3SI preamp. Audion Black Shadow 845 SET Monoblocks. Mojo Audio Deja Vu Server. Mojo Audio Mystic 3 DAC. Linear Solution Ethernet Switch. Gigafoil with LPS. STST Motus II TT with Vertere SG1 arm, Hana ML Cartridge, Allnic H1201 phono pre. Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Horn speakers with Mundord Supreme oil caps. Power via 10 awg Oyaide cable from panel to custom distribution strip feeding front end. Oyaide dedicated10 AWG branch circuits from panel to each amp. Inakustik speaker and interconnect cables, Genesis Interconnect.
    Kingrexelectric.com Lyncole certified grounding specialist.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

MA252 Tube Rolling