Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: HDTV Antennas

HDTV Antennas

Do these antennas work well? Are they difficult to install?

Northern California Coast & San Francisco

Re: HDTV Antennas

HDTV reception only requires a decent UHF signal from a HD broadcaster. If you have one within 30 miles of your home without being in the shadow of a major obstruction, a $30 antenna will suffice. They are easy to install. You might not even need anything more than UHF version of the old fashion "rabbit ears." The beauty of digital UHF broadcasting is that you will either have enough signal strength for a perfect picture, or no picture at all. It's not unusual to have multiple channels available even in remote areas, as I have experienced with an RV rooftop UHF antenna when traveling in the boonies!
    Tom
    Ultimate Audio
    SoundLab Dealer

Country System:
    SoundLab Ultimate-1PX Electrostatic Speakers
    Pass Labs XP-32 pre, Pass Labs XA60.8 Amps
    Pass Lab XP-27 phono stage
    SME 20/2 table with SME V arm, Stillpoints LPI
    Minus-K BM-8 passive vibration control under tt
    Dynavector XV-1s, Koeitsu Rosewood Signature cartridges, Klaudio RCM
    Roon Nucleus+ powered by Keces P-8 LPS
    Lumin X-1 Network Music Player
    3 dedicated AC lines
    Shunyata Omega PC to Everest for all source devices
    Typhon for each amp powered by 2 dedicated circuits
    Various Shunyata Alpha & Sigma PC's throughout.
    Stillpoints under everything.

City System:
    Ayre KX-R Twenty Preamp
    Pass Labs X-260.8 Monoblocks
    Esoteric K-03 SACD Player
    Roon Nucleus+powered by UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS
    Sound Lab Ultimate-545PX Speakers
    Shunyata Hydra 8, Typhon QR
    Various Shunyata Alpha & Sigma PC's throughout
    Stillpoints under everything. Multiple room acoustic panels.

Thank you. Dumb question, but I see from one on sale that they have a cable. What does the cable connect to from the antenna?

Northern California Coast & San Francisco

Yes, you must run a coaxial cable from the antenna balun to the TV. If you purchase an antenna, it will usually come with both. Some choices: https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=uhf+antenna&ref=nb_sb_noss

A cheap inside/window antenna may suffice if your local broadcasters are nearby. Otherwise, a higher gain antenna may be necessary. Understanding radio wave propagation is an art as well as a science. Experimentation to find what works for you is key. As a Ham Radio operator, I find the challenges of antennas fascinating and rewarding.

BTW, Over the air HDTV delivers the sharpest picture possible, superior to Cable and Satellite.
    Tom
    Ultimate Audio
    SoundLab Dealer

Country System:
    SoundLab Ultimate-1PX Electrostatic Speakers
    Pass Labs XP-32 pre, Pass Labs XA60.8 Amps
    Pass Lab XP-27 phono stage
    SME 20/2 table with SME V arm, Stillpoints LPI
    Minus-K BM-8 passive vibration control under tt
    Dynavector XV-1s, Koeitsu Rosewood Signature cartridges, Klaudio RCM
    Roon Nucleus+ powered by Keces P-8 LPS
    3 dedicated AC lines
    Shunyata Omega PC to Everest for all source devices
    Typhon for each amp powered by 2 dedicated circuits
    Various Shunyata Alpha & Sigma PC's throughout.
    Stillpoints under everything.

City System:
    Ayre KX-R Twenty Preamp
    Pass Labs X-260.8 Monoblocks
    Esoteric K-03 SACD Player
    Roon Nucleus+powered by UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS
    Sound Lab Ultimate-545PX Speakers
    Shunyata Hydra 8, Typhon QR
    Various Shunyata Alpha & Sigma PC's throughout
    Stillpoints under everything. Multiple room acoustic panels.

I bought an antenna about 20 years ago when HDTV showed up in my area. Eventually I stopped using it when cable TV started doing HD. I just recently cut the cord and am considering YouTube TV. Going back to my old Antenna is still an option since I never got rid of it.

If one goes to a site like - https://www.antennaweb.org/ it can be helpful as to the type of antenna to use and the direction of stations. Not all HDTV is broadcast over UHF. Some are on high VHF frequencies (so going to a site like the one noted can help). There's also - http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opti...ask=view&id=66

I'm just not a cable or satellite person. Don't watch that much TV and between movies I own, Netflix and Amazon prime, I get more than enough TV. I have many music files as well and there are just so many hours.

Keep in mind if one is going to go to over-the-air there may be changes coming shortly - https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...k-dolby-atmos/

Basically in a nutshell - the top 40 markets in the US will get getting it (ATSC 3.0) in 2020 and once that starts the stations have to broadcast ATSC 1.0 (currently built into TVs and outboard tuners, either your own or your TV provider furnished ones) for 5 years. I'm holding out on upgrading my UHD TV to see when the new sets will be coming out with ATSC 3.0.
    Main System - Lumin U2, Modwright LS36.5 DM Preamp, VTV Purifi 1ET-7040SA with tube buffer, EMM Labs DAC 2X (ver. 2), Torus RM-20, Thiel CS 3.7s, 2 Rel S/812 subs
    Back-up 1 - Premium Audio mini Gan Amp, Oppo 103D, 2 Richard Gray cond, Selah SA-2s, Sumiko S5 sub, Teac UD-503 DAC, Carver (modded) C-9
    Back-up 2 - Onkyo TX-NR797, Panasonic DP-UB820, Vansevers cond, B&W P6s, PowerSoundAudio S1500 sub

Quote Originally Posted by Phil A View Post
    If one goes to a site like - https://www.antennaweb.org/ it can be helpful as to the type of antenna to use and the direction of stations. Not all HDTV is broadcast over UHF. Some are on high VHF frequencies (so going to a site like the one noted can help). There's also - http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opti...ask=view&id=66

I'm just not a cable or satellite person. Don't watch that much TV and between movies I own, Netflix and Amazon prime, I get more than enough TV. I have many music files as well and there are just so many hours.

Keep in mind if one is going to go to over-the-air there may be changes coming shortly - https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...k-dolby-atmos/

Basically in a nutshell - the top 40 markets in the US will get getting it (ATSC 3.0) in 2020 and once that starts the stations have to broadcast ATSC 1.0 (currently built into TVs and outboard tuners, either your own or your TV provider furnished ones) for 5 years. I'm holding out on upgrading my UHD TV to see when the new sets will be coming out with ATSC 3.0.
    Phil, one thing about antennas is placement and your location. Some locations, (your home location in relationship to a broadcast signal) just don't work that well.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Note that a lot of stations are not broadcasting on their traditional channels. That is to say, that channel 5 news is probably not on channel 5 anymore.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

HDTV Antennas