Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Living with Magico S3MKII & Luxman C900u +M900u (long term Impression)

Introduction

The following are impressions and personal opinions written after using about 9 months on Magico S3MKII speakers connected to Luxman 900 series Pre + Amplifier.
    There are not many audio enthusiasts who are unfamiliar with the names Magico and Luxman, the first is a relatively young company whose origins are in the Holy Land (CEO Elon Wolf and Chief Planner Yair Tamam).
    Magico trademark is always to be on the technological front when it comes to loudspeakers, in the recent years Magico speakers are characterized by an aluminum body and hard-material drivers made from Kevlar and Nano graphene and Beryllium tweeters, S model tweeters are coated with diamond for toughening purposes.
    Luxman is almost the opposite of Magico, a company with a long tradition founded in Osaka, Japan in 1925, over the years it has undergone a number of incarnations, and if in the 1970s and 1980s its products were reserved among the best in almost every price category towards the millennium and with customers tastes shifting toward home theater, the company state, and its product line deteriorated.
    To my delight the last decade has brought with it changes for the better and today Luxman products are back on the forefront, especially the products from the top line, they considered to be exemplary for price and above.
    Magico design line symbolizes more than any, disconnection from most loudspeaker manufacturers design, the loudspeakers box made from advanced materials and industrial design, Luxman on the contrast choose a reverse design line, one reminiscent of the company's big days from the late '70s and early' the 80s, in both cases the result is good.
    The S series, as well as other Magico speakers, can be obtained in one of two finish options, the first option being a brilliant paint with a varnish that would not embarrass Rolls Royce paint finish, the second option comes in industrial and rugged matte paint and the difference in price is not negligible.
    Luxman 900's are constructed of an aluminum body, here to the level of finish and details are done amazingly, for example, no screws can be found in any exposed line, everything is built superbly. It seems that the heavy amplifier and preamp can survive a nuclear holocaust.
    The most notable thing about Luxman 900 amplifier are a pair of dials located in front of the amp, the retro look may not be to everyone's taste but to me, it gives the electronics real character.
    In the preamp, you can find large selector dial and volume, large and readable screen display (the display characters can be changed (small, large) as needed), also found dials for Bass, Treble and Balance (not common these days).
    I will not go into the topology and technology in which the amplifier and the preamp are built, but it is important to note that, despite being a stereo amplifier, it will be able to work in Bridge mode and become a powerful mono amplifier. (The stereo power is 150W at 8 ohms while at Bridge the power doubles).

Speakers - Listening

I will start from an essential point for all Magico speakers – current. Meaning those speakers need a healthy current amplifier to power them, as the amplifier to whom the speakers are connected contain a more powerful transformer, the Magico will love you back.
    How do I know this, simply, in the beginning, my S2MKII were connected to an amplifier with the same number of watts but without enough current, they were far from sounding at their best. After consulting with Yair Tamam (the company's planner and chief engineer) I made a change to the amplification components by buying the Luxman M900u.
    Sound Characteristics - S3MKII has a number of features that is instantly recognizable, first is transparency, these speakers are transparent and will continue to be so as the source improves (my sources had been improved and replaced over time - digital and analog) you will find that these speakers convey any information that the source can extract from the recording.

High level
    - The S3MKII is a near-neutral speaker that manages to remain analytical (not on the flip side) with my light-hearted warmth because of the connection to Luxman (apparently the stick can be held on either end), the S3MKII never comes out, no matter what style of music I threw in for the past few months I have never been able to get the speaker out of comfortability zone. The Magico twitter does not get harsh on the ear, unlike some diamond twitter on other speakers, I have never felt any kind of ear discomfort with the Magico, even when I play loud. The high-level sound is natural, open and airy sounds on the good side, with good scattering and texture ability - I mentioned before, I never felt uncomfortable at any level or any material I played.

Mid-level
    - Transparency and airiness continue here too, the fast driver manages to convey depth, reveal textures and give volume, width, and height to the sounds emanating from it, it easily positioned instruments or voices on the stage. Whether it be a human voice, a vocal instrument or an orchestra instrument. Also excels Immediate in decay, the ability of the driver to slow down action whether instant or rated, phenomenal. The sound capability of the mid driver is one of the key strengths S3MKII has to offer.

Bass
    - Although the S3MKII drops "only" to 24Hz, whether it is the Mid-bass sounds or the speed and depth of the lower bass that the speaker manages to produce is remarkable. The impact and energy that the speaker manages to bring out in the lower domain may not match the most formidable subwoofer, but in terms of speed, it's very difficult to compete with these drivers.

How good the bass is, I would say that the low octave of organ sound recordings in a large space are transmitted directly to the listener, the same is true when playing materials like Metallica band or the fast and low bass tracks from Yello albums. In the space of an average European living room and even more it is difficult to imagine someone who needs for more than the S3MKII can produce.
    In general, I have no measuring instruments other than my ears but I can swear this speaker has no real-world holes in term of driver cover, the S3MKII is very close to playing as one unit and easily disappears in space even though it is not a small speaker. True, it won't go away like a good pair of monitors, but when compared to large speakers, it simply evaporates from the room, leaving the listener with a wall and depth of detailed textural sound.
    To sum it up, the S3MKII is no less than an amazing speaker.

So far the good, but is there less than good too?

There is no speaker which is perfect and so does the S3MKII, they also have its drawbacks:
    Beyond industrial design that doesn't appeal to everyone (not easy after getting used to indulgent Italian design speakers), it's also not a cheap speaker, although the Magico entry card has become more convenient with A Series, Series S pricing is different and not accessible to everyone.
    Sound - Anyone who reads the above lines will wonder where exactly the problem is?
    As great as the S3MKII are, they are not exactly the type of involving speakers, here Magico is a bit missed compared to the best.
    These speakers were born in labs over computer software and this is felt in the somewhat sterile approaching sound, compared to Italian speakers that portray the S3MKII emotion as a different, more technocratic and sterile in compared.
    It's much like the difference between Porsche and Ferrari, the last is excellent vehicle, more involving the driver but also have more disadvantages and limited ability to use daily transport vehicles beyond being a sports car.
    What is better? It's a listener's consideration and preferring, after years with Italian speakers I chose Magico and don't look back for a moment.

All this goodness could not have come without good electronics, it is time to shine a bit on the connected preamplifier and amplifier (with the help of Cardas cabling).

Electronics, and several sentences to summarize.

It seems to me that Luxman released the 900 series somewhere in 2014

C900u Preamplifier
    - good preamplifier should be transparent as possible and to my delight the C900u is exactly that, it manages to transmit everything that comes out of the sources (Brinkman Bardo analog and 10.1 arm connected to the Zesto PS phono, Digital sources - Cary Audio DMS600 and Unison Research Due CD player).

The Luxman allows the listener to make changes to Treble, Base and Balance, for me the fixed listening mode is the bypass, and yet the flexibility path Luxman chooses to walk in is welcome in my opinion. you won't hear any noise or background noise from the preamplifier, the noise floor here is phenomenal.

M-900u Amplifier
    - The M-900u is a heavy-weight amplifier relative to the "modest" watts it produces (150W at 8 ohms), the reason lies partly in the heavy chassis and the 1.25VA power supply that manages to power the speakers easily. As already mentioned the amplifier can work as a stereo or as a bridge amplifier and become a mono amplifier.

The amplifier sound is transparent with a slight tendency to warmth (compare to my attempts to connect directly to the digital amplifier in Cary DMS). The amplifier's ability to convey details from the preamplifier, including the most delicate are astonishing.

The two parts (Preamplifier and amplifier) share a number of characteristics: the excellent finish is worth mentioning again. Also, the two sections are built in a groundless loop chassis configuration, both use ONDF 4 repair system.

Even after about 9 months of use, I have not yet found a style of music that the couple in above will find difficult to keep with.

For whom who can afford components at these prices, it is worth checking and examining the above components, I'm more than certain you'll find them hard to resist.

Other stereo staple components:

Cabling (interconnects + speaker cables + power cables) - Cardas Clear

Digital Source - Cary Audio DMS 600, Unison Research CD Due
    Analog source - Brinkmann Bardo + Phono Zesto PS1

Re: Living with Magico S3MKII & Luxman C900u +M900u (long term Impression)

exupgh12, enjoyed your excellent review. As an S3 Mk2/Gryphon Diablo 300 owner, your impressions are similar to mine.

Super Moderator

Thank you very much for your opinions.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Thank you so for reading and your comment GSOphile
    i have never hard Magico with Gryphon, i understand from web reading its excellent Amplifier with lost of power and current - ther for it must be excellent match with Magico speaker

Regards

Guy

Thank you for time spending reading my words Joeinid
    Regards

Guy

Super Moderator

Hello Guy,

My pleasure. I love Luxman and even owned the C900u, a wonderful preamp. If I didn't have my Avantgarde speakers, I'm sure I would have purchased the M900u amps as well.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by exupgh12 View Post
    Regards

Guy
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Regards

Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Hello Guy,

My pleasure. I love Luxman and even owned the C900u, a wonderful preamp. If I didn't have my Avantgarde speakers, I'm sure I would have purchased the M900u amps as well.

Thanks again!
    My dear freind. What you wrote here cost me a lot of money. I am hoping that I will enjoy it as same as you.
    May God bless you and all of us.

Super Moderator

Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Udi View Post
    My dear freind. What you wrote here cost me a lot of money. I am hoping that I will enjoy it as same as you.
    May God bless you and all of us.

NAD C 658 streamer.

@Udi Dear freind, i'm wishing you lots of joy and a pleasent time from your new audio system.
    best regards

Great review, thanks for taking the time. I thought about a pair of M900s or M800s for my speakers, we'll see. I also had the S5 MkIIs on my short list of speakers. Enjoy your great system!
    4x20A circuits | Shunyata Triton + Typhon | Source 1: HDPlex HD100 PSU -> OCX clock + EtherRegen -> Paul Hynes SR4T + HDPlex HD500 PSUs -> Music PC w/JCAT XE nic, Squeezebox, Roon, Tidal / Qobuz | TotalDAC Live PSU + D1 Twelve Mk II DAC + Mk II streamer | Source 2: Acoustic Signature Ascona TT | Kuzma 4 point tonearm | Koetsu Rosewood Signature cart | Pass XP-15 phono pre | Audionet Pre G2 preamp | Audionet Max mono blocks | Vivid Audio Giya Spirits | 4 JL Audio Fathom subs | Echole ICs /SCs / Siltech King jumpers, Shunyata/Audioquest PCs / Eth. Cs | Critical Mass CS2s -> components, Isoacoustics -> speakers + subs | Adona Altair reference and Eris II racks | Fully treated and dedicated 2 channel room

Quote Originally Posted by sb6 View Post
    Great review, thanks for taking the time. I thought about a pair of M900s or M800s for my speakers, we'll see. I also had the S5 MkIIs on my short list of speakers. Enjoy your great system!
    Thank you for the kind words, hopefully by the end of next week i'll recive second M900u Amplifier to work as monoblock, i'll let you know how it sound.

Thank you for the kind words, hopefully by the end of next week i'll recive second M900u Amplifier to work as monoblock, i'll let you know how it sound.
    Congratulations
    Smart move
    Mazal tov Guy

Super Moderator

Looking forward to your thoughts. Congratulations.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by gabweb View Post
    Congratulations
    Smart move
    Mazal tov Guy
    Many thanks, hope delivery will stay on schedule with all the fass regards corona virus.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Looking forward to your thoughts. Congratulations.
    Thank you again.

After hearing the stereo m900u recently in my system, I fully recommend monoblocks for your Magicos
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    After hearing the stereo m900u recently in my system, I fully recommend monoblocks for your Magicos
    Yes, Magicos draw some current...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    thanks for you opinion, hopefully if everything goes well (you cant know wit the spred of the corona virus) i'll get the new amp this week - crossing my fingers.

As great as the S3MKII are, they are not exactly the type of involving speakers, here Magico is a bit missed compared to the best.
    These speakers were born in labs over computer software and this is felt in the somewhat sterile approaching sound, compared to Italian speakers that portray the S3MKII emotion as a different, more technocratic and sterile in compared.
    Still like the speakers. But I concur, compared to some other speakers they are a bit lacking the low-level grunt in the lower bass, which is giving the bass depth and heft, e.g. with acoustic stand-up bass. They enjoy a pair of good, low-reaching subs, to sound their best.

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Congratullations for your interesting and very easy to read review..!!!

Please upload some pics of the set up.
    McIntosh C302 + C2600 - Lumin A1 - Lenco L75 - Marantz SR6007 - Paradigm S6 - Gaia II - Chord Epic Twin Speaker Cable + Jumpers - Bada LB5500

I drive my S3 Mk2s with a Gryphon Diablo 300. This amp has balls. To my ears, this combo is not lacking bass.

Same here for my S3 MK2 driven by a Karan KA S 400.
    Plenty of power and control of those speakers.
    No doubt, they “need” power to really shine and give the lower frequencies that we expect

Quote Originally Posted by GSOphile View Post
    I drive my S3 Mk2s with a Gryphon Diablo 300. This amp has balls. To my ears, this combo is not lacking bass.
    Maybe I can elaborate a bit: I drove them with Pass and Soulution. Especially the Soulution separates do have a superior low-end performance compared to the integrated Gryphon. Magico are developing their products with Soulution, and using them in show demos.

The point is, the S3 mk2 do have a good bass performance IMHO, no doubt. Otherwise I would not have bought them. But other speakers do have better texture in the bass, as the thread initiator indicates.

Of course, it depends on what your reference is. In my current system I do have four integrated 10” subs with 2400 W behind them. Go figure, wayyyyy better.

And, there really is a point in bi-amping. The impedance spread between woofers and tweeters is difficult to shoulder for any amp, independent of how extraordinary the amp is. Bi-amping really gets you a step ahead.

Kuoppis, I have been following your adventures, and you have a superb system. But your Soulution separates alone (not counting the power behind the integrated subs) is about 4x the retail of my Gryphon. So on that basis, I'm happy where I am.

Quote Originally Posted by GSOphile View Post
    Kuoppis, I have been following your adventures, and you have a superb system. But your Soulution separates alone (not counting the power behind the integrated subs) is about 4x the retail of my Gryphon. So on that basis, I'm happy where I am.
    GSOphile, that’s not really the point what kind of a system anyone has. And IMHO, you have a very nice system. As said, I really enjoyed S3 mk2’s when they were in my system, and the Gryphon is a killer amp. I think anyone should be very happy with that level of a system.

Also, I did not find the S3 mk2 had too little bass in general. After a while, I even felt the Pass X250.8 was a tad too warm for my liking, and so I switched to the Soulutions.

But the OP made a point about the characteristic of the S3 mk2 bass, which concurred with my experience. And I believe, that was not due to having insufficient amplification to drive them.

A general thing I have learned over the past year or so, is the beauty of bi-amping. I must admit, I had always wondered about the benefit of it. If you have a good enough amp, there should be no need for it.

But then a speaker manufacturer took the time to explain it to me at an audio show. The point is, the impedance spread between woofers and tweeters is significant, which always makes amplifying them with one amp a compromise. That manufacturer offers separate woofer amps with his speakers. The effect is similar with good subs.

Therefore, I felt the S3 mk2s sounded nicer with additional REL subs. Even though today’s Magicos are easier to drive, compared to M5’s of yesteryear, they still present a tough load to an amp. And similarly, I do enjoy the fact that my current speakers are semi-active (powered subs).

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    Still like the speakers. But I concur, compared to some other speakers they are a bit lacking the low-level grunt in the lower bass, which is giving the bass depth and heft, e.g. with acoustic stand-up bass. They enjoy a pair of good, low-reaching subs, to sound their best.

i dont share the same thought you have regarding low reaching of the S2MK2, its more than enought in my sapce.

Quote Originally Posted by Fer1000 View Post
    Congratullations for your interesting and very easy to read review..!!!

Please upload some pics of the set up.
    Just go to my profile, you can see pic's of my set up there.
    if i'll get the second M900u this week i'll update the photos

i dont share the same thought you have regarding low reaching of the S2MK2, its more than enought in my sapce.
    Quote from your opening post:

”As great as the S3MKII are, they are not exactly the type of involving speakers, here Magico is a bit missed compared to the best.
    These speakers were born in labs over computer software and this is felt in the somewhat sterile approaching sound, compared to Italian speakers that portray the S3MKII emotion as a different, more technocratic and sterile in compared.”

I also stated it several times, I don’t think they’re lacking bass, just the texture is different.

Double post.

Living with 2X M900U is twice the fun, thanks to my great Luxman\Magico distributer that all ought what’s happen in Japan, he manages to deliver me with the second M900u power amp
    The sound...two-amp mange to squeeze more from my Magico S3mk2

Attached Images Attached Images

Nice! Enjoy!
    I would love to add another Vac 200iq amp to my system also!
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Magico S3 Mk2 in Mcast Pewter
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling
    Timbernation walnut racks

video of my setup (commentary aren’t in english - sorry)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyXkS1qllBc

Nice video ny friend.. Enjoy.!!!!

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk
    McIntosh C302 + C2600 - Lumin A1 - Lenco L75 - Marantz SR6007 - Paradigm S6 - Gaia II - Chord Epic Twin Speaker Cable + Jumpers - Bada LB5500

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team