MA-252 inbound
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: MA-252 inbound

Post Thanks / Like

MA-252 inbound

So I came across a deal that was worth giving one of these a try. My amazing wife said to buy it and keep my other equipment. She is great, I got to say! I may sell some of the other gear depending on how this works out down the road anyway.

I really wanted to try one of these (McIntosh on the brain growing up on the South Side of Binghamton, shadow of the factory and all). I am so intrigued by the hybrid design. This definitely has the power and features that I need.

Anyway, this older gentleman (well older then me ) has one that is exactly one month old. He said it has way too much power for his 100 dB speakers and he is going back to a lower powered amp. We communicated back and forth several times and I asked him if I could make an offer. I offered him much lower than he originally asked for but an amount that Cheryal would be happier with. He decided to take it so, dam, McIntosh inbound!

T+A DAC 8 DSD | T+A AMP 8 | Hattor "The Big" Passive Pre-amp | Falcon Northwest PC | Roon & HQPlayer | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 | W4S Recovery | U-Turn Orbit Special | SimAudio MOON 110LP v2 | Ortofon 2M Black & Bronze | Record Doctor V | McIntosh MR7083 | Oppo BDP-105 | KEF R700 | ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3010 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000 | Astell&Kern AK240 | Audeze LCD-i4 | McIntosh MA252 w/Gold Lion Tubes (going up for sale soon)

2. Likes Dizzie, Sean, Kuoppis, aKnyght, joeinid, Calvin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: MC-252 inbound

Thanks Joe... (for correcting my typo)
    T+A DAC 8 DSD | T+A AMP 8 | Hattor "The Big" Passive Pre-amp | Falcon Northwest PC | Roon & HQPlayer | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 | W4S Recovery | U-Turn Orbit Special | SimAudio MOON 110LP v2 | Ortofon 2M Black & Bronze | Record Doctor V | McIntosh MR7083 | Oppo BDP-105 | KEF R700 | ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3010 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000 | Astell&Kern AK240 | Audeze LCD-i4 | McIntosh MA252 w/Gold Lion Tubes (going up for sale soon)

4. Likes joeinid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations. Hope it is everything (and more) that you were expecting.

6. Thanks Randy Myers thanked for this post
    Likes joeinid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Randy.......Congratulations on a great score. I am confident the MA252 will impress you. I own the very first hybrid integrated amplifier McIntosh ever made, the MA230. In fact it is the very first integrated amplifier McIntosh manufactured. It is a solid state preamp and 30 watt per channel tube power amplifier on the same chassis. The MA230 is 54 years old and still sounds excellent. The MA252 is the opposite of my MA230, yours being a tube preamplifier and solid state power amplifier on a single chassis, but I have no doubt that hybrid design combination will deliver a fabulous performance. I'll be watching for your review.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

8. Thanks Randy Myers thanked for this post
    Likes Randy Myers, joeinid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it will be good, but we will see. Diz, Dan, and others, thank you for your input earlier. Always appreciated!

The bottom line is I do not have to get rid of my other gear immediately, so if it does not do what I need no harm no foul.

Post Thanks / Like

Randy, congrats on the score!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sean

Oppo 203, Lumin D2
    McIntosh MA252
    Magico A3
    Shunyata PS8/Defender/Delta NR
    Venom IC/SC/PC

11. Thanks Randy Myers thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

very nice!! can't wait to hear how sounds in your system and how it compares to the amp8

this will now give you an excuse to head back to "bing" for a factory tour... followed by a burger and craft beer at the galaxy brewery -- i cannot recommend this itinerary more highly!!
    kanjiroba yak + roon rock > t+a dac8 dsd > almarro a318b > viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | alp-tone audio analog cables

13. Thanks Randy Myers thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was in Binghamton in August. Unfortunately under difficult circumstances. It was for my dad's passing. I did notice that there was a Speedie festival going on... God I miss Binghamton Speedies... my brother would not stop and let me grab a Speedie sandwich though (I did try to get him to stop) ....

The last time I was actually at the McIntosh factory was back in the late '90s when I was living in Syracuse and a buddy was buying some gear and I drove him down to pick it up.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: MA-252 inbound

Congratulations Randy!

That’s one of the amps I’d get, it’s superb. You will absolutely love it.
    Joe

Avantgarde Duo XD, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M, JBL 590.

Job INTegrated, Naim Supernait 2 w/ HiCap-DR.

Conrad Johnson GAT2, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2, Misho Myronov Wooden pre.

Misho Myronov Wooden amp, First Watt SIT-3 (X2 - one as backup), Job 250 Monos, Valvet E2se, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos.

Lumin U1 mini, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, Audio Mirror Tubadour III NOS R2R Tube Dac w/ upgrades.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

16. Thanks Randy Myers thanked for this post
    Likes Sean liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: MA-252 inbound

I couldn't resist the deal. It is literally one month old. And since I am keeping my other gear (certainly for now), it allows me a chance to really try it out in my system.

The gentleman and I corresponded back and forth and he seemed to be a real straight shooter. He has already shipped it. Great follow up indeed.

18. Likes Sean liked this post

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast