MA-252 inbound - Page 5
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: MA-252 inbound

Post Thanks / Like

Re: MA-252 inbound

Quote Originally Posted by mdp632 View Post
    How would you describe the synergy with KEF?
    I truly don't know how to describe that. It seems like the MA252 controls the four bass drivers very well. McIntosh has always seemed to match very well with British speakers in my view! They almost seem like they are made for each other but so did the T+A. German manufactures and McIntosh seem to both work well with British and German speakers .

I know, way too generalized .
    T+A DAC 8 DSD | T+A AMP 8 | Hattor "The Big" Passive Pre-amp | Falcon Northwest PC | Roon & HQPlayer | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 | W4S Recovery | U-Turn Orbit Special | SimAudio MOON 110LP v2 | Ortofon 2M Black & Bronze | Record Doctor V | McIntosh MR7083 | Oppo BDP-105 | KEF R700 | ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3010 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000 | Astell&Kern AK240 | Audeze LCD-i4 | McIntosh MA252 w/Gold Lion Tubes (for sale)

2. Thanks mdp632 thanked for this post
    Likes mdp632 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations Randy and welcome home

4. Thanks Randy Myers thanked for this post
    Likes joeinid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
    Congratulations Randy and welcome home
    Thank you sir. I am really enjoying this amplifier!

I am still surprised how cool running this sucker is. I mean running all day and I can place my hands on the tube cages and feel almost no heat. The heat sinks are not even warm... None of the amplifiers I have had run so cool as this McIntosh!
    T+A DAC 8 DSD | T+A AMP 8 | Hattor "The Big" Passive Pre-amp | Falcon Northwest PC | Roon & HQPlayer | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 | W4S Recovery | U-Turn Orbit Special | SimAudio MOON 110LP v2 | Ortofon 2M Black & Bronze | Record Doctor V | McIntosh MR7083 | Oppo BDP-105 | KEF R700 | ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3010 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000 | Astell&Kern AK240 | Audeze LCD-i4 | McIntosh MA252 w/Gold Lion Tubes (for sale)

6. Likes joeinid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    ...I am still surprised how cool running this sucker is. I mean running all day and I can place my hands on the tube cages and feel almost no heat. The heat sinks are not even warm... None of the amplifiers I have had run so cool as this McIntosh!
    And that's why they last forever!
    - Steve

McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp • Lumin D2 Streamer w/ Sbooster BOTW MK II Power Supply & Emo EN-70e ethernet isolator
    Roon Nucleus Server • Harbeth C7ES3 Loudspeakers • Magnepan .7 Loudspeakers • JL Audio D108 Sub • Sound Anchor Stands Rega Apollo R CD Player • Analysis Plus Black Oval 12 Speaker Cables • Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Oval Balanced Interconnects • PS Audio Dectet Power Center • PS Audio AC3 A/C cords • PS Audio Noise Harvestors • VTI 3 Component Rack

8. Likes joeinid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tubes View Post
    And that's why they last forever!
    Nice...

Post Thanks / Like

I like the look without the little tube cages... the cages serve no purpose other than looks. It is not like you can get burned from these. I have never seen cooler running tubes. Literally barely warm!

Attached Images Attached Images

11. Likes joeinid, Kuoppis, jdandy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been playing around comparing phone stages. The built in McIntosh is very good but I think the SimAudio is a little better! Since I do not ever spin a silver disk (always rip them) I decided to keep the SimAudio attached instead of the Oppo. I turned off the phone input and renamed the other unbalanced input to Vinyl. A bit of a pain to do but when it is set there is no reason to play further .

13. Likes joeinid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Randy, it's really been fun reading your posts about your experiences with the MA252. Sounds like a real keeper to me.
    Amplifier: Pass Labs INT 250 integrated.

DAC/Streamer: MSB Discrete Dual Power Supply.

Server: Roon Nucleus with lifetime subscription.

Speakers: Harbeth Super HL 5+ 40th Anniversary
    Model.

Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 speaker cables,
    Mackenzie interconnects.

Speaker Stands: HiFi Man.

15. Thanks Randy Myers thanked for this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

The MA252 sure does make life simple. Great sound just makes it a winner!
    Joe

Avantgarde Duo XD, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M, JBL 590.

Job INTegrated, Naim Supernait 2 w/ HiCap-DR.

Conrad Johnson GAT2, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2, Misho Myronov Wooden pre.

Misho Myronov Wooden amp, First Watt SIT-3 (X2 - one as backup), Job 250 Monos, Valvet E2se, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos.

Lumin U1 mini, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, Audio Mirror Tubadour III NOS R2R Tube Dac w/ upgrades.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

17. Thanks Randy Myers thanked for this post
    Likes Randy Myers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, the MA252 really makes things easier and it sounds fantastic!

The other night I compared the built in phono stage with the external SimAudio again. Even though the built in is very good the SimAudio is very special. When I tried the McIntosh built in again, after having the SimAudio hooked up for a couple of weeks it sounded rather dry; I wouldn't say lifeless but certainly without that spark that grabs ya. I hooked the SimAudio again and it was amazing how evident the difference was. Dynamic, very alive sounding, open, more depth. I was surprised at how big of a difference I heard actually .

So the McInotsh MA252 with the external SimAudio phono stage is definitely a winner!

19. Likes joeinid liked this post

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast