Is there a characteristic McIntosh sound? - Page 4
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there a characteristic McIntosh sound?

The autoformer giveth and the autoformer taketh away. The autoformer has a unique sound. I really like the previous generation Mc sound (2301, 452, 601). I havenít spent enough time with the current generation. Joe (joeinid) has though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, EMM Labs, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, Stein Music Products, Stenheim Loudspeakers, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is there a characteristic McIntosh sound?

I think the newer McIntosh gear like the 1.25kw, 462, 611 etc are a newer house sound, in my opinion. It’s not my cup of tea.
    Joe

Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Avantgarde Duo XD, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated, Naim Supernait 2 w/ HiCap-DR.

Conrad Johnson GAT2, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2, Misho Myronov Wooden pre.

Misho Myronov Wooden amp, First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, Valvet E2se, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos.

Lumin U1 mini, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, Audio Mirror Tubadour III NOS R2R Tube Dac w/ upgrades.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

3. Likes Calvin, Penthouse-D liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UltraFast69 View Post
    The short answer is you bet there is!................this is no different than any other brand.
    I agree, and good for a short answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    The autoformer giveth and the autoformer taketh away. The autoformer has a unique sound.............
    And the above is Part II of the short answer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by puroagave View Post
    Characteristic sound? maybe, but characteristic owner? fo' sure..........The one dealer in my area that carried it also had Klipsch and B&W (what does that say?).
    This sounds very much like Almas Hi-Fi in metro Detroit.

I think there is an old school Vs new school generational comparison of equipment because at one time McIntosh was the sole survivor of American tube amp manufacturers and carried the torch while others like HH Scott, Marantz and The Fisher fell to the way side during the Japanese invasion of solid state equipment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post
    Maybe I’m not understanding this correctly, but why would one want studio-recorded music to sound like “live music”? And how is it possible? Unless you’re listening to a live-recorded music, I don’t know why anyone would want that.
    I don't think many people want that, but maybe some do.

And maybe some want live performances in opera houses to sound like recording studios.

To each their own.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe that some of the new McIntosh amplifiers are closer to the traditional McIntosh sound than many of the newer amps. For example, the new Hybrid Integrated amps very much have the traditional McIntosh smoothness. Only speculating here, but I believe it is because they are not using autoformers, but instead high grade transistors similar to what is used by T+A. I mention these two brands only because they are the ones I am most intimately familiar with at this time.
    Hattor "The Big" Passive | T+A AMP 8 | Rega RP8 | Ortofon 2M Bronze | SimAudio MOON 110LP v2 | Record Doctor V | T+A DAC 8 DSD | Falcon Northwest PC Server | Roon & HQPlayer Software | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 | Wyred 4 Sound Recovery | McIntosh MR7083 | Oppo BDP-105 | KEF R700 | ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3010 | AudioQuest Niagara 1000 | Astell&Kern AK240 | Audeze LCD-i4

8. Likes CPP, Penthouse-D liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    Yes, I see your point and agree for the most part. Manufactures should pursue the APS (Absolute Perfect System).
    Let me put it in another way to make myself better understood. It is not so much about pursuing perfection but about avoiding gross flaws like distortion and coloration.
    When the music comes out free of coloration, we can enjoy a good sound whether it is reproduced by a Sonus Faber or by an Monitor Audio speaker (to name two brands with very different sounds).

Post Thanks / Like

My 50+ year old McIntosh MC60s do have some mid range warmth, and great low end extension. I’m undecided whether my system, or my ears that are rolled off a bit in the highs.
    Amp : McIntosh MC60 mono amps
    Digital : Bricasti M12, Oppo 203
    Analog : Technics SL1200G, DIY K&K Audio Maxxed Phono Amp
    Speakers : Zu Audio Druid V
    Headphone : BHSE + Voce

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bones13 View Post
    My 50+ year old McIntosh MC60s do have some mid range warmth, and great low end extension. Iím undecided whether my system, or my ears that are rolled off a bit in the highs.
    I have an idea that your amp would capture that older Mc sound that I loved in my dad's system so much. It's may even be the same model since my dad bought his in 1959-1960. Nice to see an older one still in use on the forum.
    Sincerely,

Joe

Amps: Pass X260.8s *** Pre-Amp: Pass XP22 *** Headphone Amp: Pass HPA-1 *** Speakers: Magico A3ís *** Magico A3 Grills *** Headphones: Focal Utopia *** Digital: Luxman D-08u SACD *** Aurender ACS10 CD Ripper & N100 Streamer *** Power: Shunyata Hydra Alpha A12 Power Conditioner *** AQ NRG Edison 20 *** Cables: Shunyata *** Rack: Bamboo SVT Quadrasphire *** Accessories: Herbie's Audio Lab Giant Titanium Cone Decoupling Gliders *** Russ Andrews Cable Elevators

Post Thanks / Like

Dad made DIY K-Horn speakers, those, and some yellow foam headphones, are what I listened to in my youth. There was more hum with those ultra-sensitive speakers.

His MC60s actually have 2 different terminal strip types. One of them is the frequently seen barrier strips, the other does not have raised plastic barriers between the studs.

Love the sound, really had fun this afternoon listening.
    Amp : McIntosh MC60 mono amps
    Digital : Bricasti M12, Oppo 203
    Analog : Technics SL1200G, DIY K&K Audio Maxxed Phono Amp
    Speakers : Zu Audio Druid V
    Headphone : BHSE + Voce

13. Likes Calvin liked this post

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast