Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Anyone hear the Auditorium 23 Hommage Cinema?

This is a pretty unique speaker- any thoughts out there?

http://www.auditorium-23.de/Hommage/Cinema.html
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Super Moderator

Re: Anyone hear the Auditorium 23 Hommage Cinema?

Looks pretty cool!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post

Looks pretty cool!
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as always. I would be afraid that people would mistake them for mailboxes and try to shove their mail down the horn throat.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    This is a pretty unique speaker- any thoughts out there?

http://www.auditorium-23.de/Hommage/Cinema.html
    So how many more speakers are you going to journey to hear before you make your decision?
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as always. I would be afraid that people would mistake them for mailboxes and try to shove their mail down the horn throat.
    LOL! Right, because Postal Service mailboxes are installed in private homes.
    Doug

So how many more speakers are you going to journey to hear before you make your decision?
    Does it really matter? I think what I've learned on my journey is the grass isn't always greener despite the $$$$.

YG Sonja 2.2s on mega $ electronics wow'd me for sure, but isn't going to happen financially and without tube amp options
    AG Duo XDs were probably my second favorite, but don't believe they work in my new room that is only 14' deep
    Stenheim Alumine 5s had a lot of potential and I have continued interest in the brand

Honestly, I just don't think I'm the normal Wilson, Magico, Rockport kind of dude. I want something efficient with tone, nuance/texture, and dynamics. I heard the A23 Hommage Cinemas once and they seemed to do this in a very different manner.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

People with that low of an IQ are simply not allowed in my listening room.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfax View Post
    People with that low of an IQ are simply not allowed in my listening room.
    Even people who aren't considered low IQ do dumb things. It's like seeing a "Wet Paint" sign on a surface that has just been painted and people can't resist touching the surface to see if the paint really is wet. Remember the old days when most malls had a stereo store inside and half the speakers had their dust caps pushed in because people couldn't resist poking them?

Attached Images Attached Images

Does it really matter? I think what I've learned on my journey is the grass isn't always greener despite the $$$$.

YG Sonja 2.2s on mega $ electronics wow'd me for sure, but isn't going to happen financially and without tube amp options
    AG Duo XDs were probably my second favorite, but don't believe they work in my new room that is only 14' deep
    Stenheim Alumine 5s had a lot of potential and I have continued interest in the brand

Honestly, I just don't think I'm the normal Wilson, Magico, Rockport kind of dude. I want something efficient with tone, nuance/texture, and dynamics. I heard the A23 Hommage Cinemas once and they seemed to do this in a very different manner.
    I agree with you. You are looking for sensitive speaker that jumps to life with little power so you should stay away from sealed and ported speakers that are a nominal 4 ohm impedance with dips to 2 ohms or lower and have hard to drive phase angles. Look for speakers that have a nominal impedance of 8 ohms and that have high sensitivity. As for the "Does it really Matter?" comment, it matters to the dealers that are taking the time setting up a system for you to hear. Time is money.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Soundfield View Post
    Thanks for making my point AJ. That is hilarious!

Thanks for making my point AJ. That is hilarious!
    It's first thing I thought of when I saw the mailbox comment ;-).
    You're right, someone can be smart, but simply unaware they are looking at what any of us take for granted, a speaker etc.
    Now of course, the Hommage would indeed be in a living room...not the place for a mailbox. But the Bose! LOL

Look for speakers that have a nominal impedance of 8 ohms and that have high sensitivity.
    For a low power, no NFB amp, that is good advice. This one has that in spades https://www.stereophile.com/content/...ma-loudspeaker
    Stays entirely above 10 ohms with very high sensitivity. It will however, have an electron microscope effect on any noise/distortion in system....which no NFB certainly won't help.

For a low power, no NFB amp, that is good advice. This one has that in spades https://www.stereophile.com/content/...ma-loudspeaker
    Stays entirely above 10 ohms with very high sensitivity. It will however, have an electron microscope effect on any noise/distortion in system....which no NFB certainly won't help.
    I was thinking about the amp that he already owns which is the Ref 75. 75 watts of push-pull power and it does have some NFB.

I was thinking about the amp that he already owns which is the Ref 75. 75 watts of push-pull power and it does have some NFB.
    Totally agree the ARC isn't an ideal match. But there are several in its price range that are, including Shindo which the speaker was designed with.

Totally agree the ARC isn't an ideal match
    It is a good match in the sense that it should have both low noise and distortion (if desired).
    But with that moderate NFB, you won't get the "free EQ" in the bass as the impedance rises at LF, so it may sound "thinner" than a __ no NFB amp.
    Pick your poison.

Audioshark

As for the "Does it really Matter?" comment, it matters to the dealers that are taking the time setting up a system for you to hear. Time is money.
    This I have to totally agree on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Totally agree the ARC isn't an ideal match. But there are several in its price range that are, including Shindo which the speaker was designed with.
    Which speakers are you referring to? The link AJ posted or 23 Homage?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    This I have to totally agree on.
    guys, I don't waste dealers' time.

some may buy a $50k speaker on a dime, but that's not me. in fact, i'd argue that most audiophiles jump at the best deal not the best product for them. like that whitecamaro dude on audiogon that has no clue what he's doing.
    Last edited by KeithR; December 16, 2019 at 01:09 PM. Reason: sorry.

Which speakers are you referring to? The link AJ posted or 23 Homage?
    the A23 Hommage Cinema

the A23 Hommage Cinema
    If you haven't read this yet, you might want to:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...ma-loudspeaker

Not much highs above 9 kHz. Average impedance is really around 15 ohms which means you would need a tube amp with 16 ohm output taps.

If you haven't read this yet, you might want to:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...ma-loudspeaker

Not much highs above 9 kHz. Average impedance is really around 15 ohms which means you would need a tube amp with 16 ohm output taps.
    Yes, I was surprised when I heard them the first time that it didn't bother me as I had read the review/measurements several times prior. I was told that there is so much more HF information due to the high efficiency design of the horn tweeter (102dbs with extremely thin paper diaphragms) that the extension isn't the critical factor. Under a full audition (I originally stopped by to see my dealer's new store), there will be more tracks to flesh this out.

Conversely, I heard some Branko Audio speakers at the LA show (redone VOTTs with bass cabs) and it was pretty obvious the roll off. As with Shindo speakers based on Altec Valencias that lack some "air" ime.

By the way Keith, how loud were you listening to RR’s 4-5 war horse LPs that he brings to everyone’s house? I have the Ref 75 and I have never seen the meters close to 35 watts. And those meters are measuring average power and not peak power.

Now I know where the term originated.
    Garbage in---Garbage Out
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

... As for the "Does it really Matter?" comment, it matters to the dealers that are taking the time setting up a system for you to hear. Time is money.
    Although from some reports it sounds as if many dealers aren't doing as much as they could for Keith (e.g., speakers not broken in, less-than-ideal electronics, mediocre listening room set-up, etc).

I think Keith is serious about potentially spending $50-$60 on new speakers. I'm a bit skeptical that he will find what he wants (i.e., a significant upgrade from his DeVores, for his musical and audio tastes) in that price range.
    Rob
    Tascam BR-20; Technics 1506 with tape path upgrades, FM head, DeHavilland 222 tape head pre; Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS; Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS; MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out); Pass Labs XP-12, XA60.8 (pair); Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s, VMPS Larger Sub; Daedalus/Wywires, Acoustic Zen, Sablon Audio, Wireworld, Shunyata Research cables; Core Power Equi=Power;
    Adona rack, ​​​​​Stillpoints, IsoPods, ASC, GIK Acoustics accessories

By the way Keith, how loud were you listening to RR’s 4-5 war horse LPs that he brings to everyone’s house? I have the Ref 75 and I have never seen the meters close to 35 watts. And those meters are measuring average power and not peak power.
    loud- like 100dbs+. His Bill Henderson cut hit 30 watts once or twice

loud- like 100dbs+. His Bill Henderson cut hit 30 watts once or twice
    OK. Your post #3 on RR's visit to your house said "My 92dB speakers were pulling 30+ watts like crazy on them-extremely unusual."

OK. Your post #3 on RR's visit to your house said "My 92dB speakers were pulling 30+ watts like crazy on them-extremely unusual."
    then I would go with that as it was a few years back.

then I would go with that as it was a few years back.
    I would agree with your last two words in your above statement: "extremely unusual." I still own the NOLA KOs which I still want to sell. They are 91dB 1w/1m and present an 8 ohm nominal load. I drove them for years with my Ref 75 and I never saw the average power climb above 5 watts. My JBL 4345 speakers are 95dB 1w/1m and my average power is less than 2 watts. That's why when I read your statement that your Ref 75 was pulling 30+ watts like crazy on RR's old war horse LPs I was shocked.

I would agree with your last two words in your above statement: "extremely unusual." I still own the NOLA KOs which I still want to sell. They are 91dB 1w/1m and present an 8 ohm nominal load. I drove them for years with my Ref 75 and I never saw the average power climb above 5 watts. My JBL 4345 speakers are 95dB 1w/1m and my average power is less than 2 watts. That's why when I read your statement that your Ref 75 was pulling 30+ watts like crazy on RR's old war horse LPs I was shocked.
    Here's the record, check it out:

"Send in the Clowns" by Bill Henderson, Live at the Times (Jazz Planet Records/Classic Records)

At home, I get to 15 watts on really loud stuff on rare occasion. Our speakers sound similarly efficient - mine are 8ohms, 7.5 minimum.

Here's the record, check it out:

"Send in the Clowns" by Bill Henderson, Live at the Times (Jazz Planet Records/Classic Records)

At home, I get to 15 watts on really loud stuff on rare occasion. Our speakers sound similarly efficient - mine are 8ohms, 7.5 minimum.
    They are similar with regards to sensitivity, but I think that’s where the similarity ends.

said "My 92dB speakers were pulling 30+ watts..
    Measured/real sensitivity can be substantially lower, as Stereophile occasionally reveals. Occams razor.

Measured/real sensitivity can be substantially lower, as Stereophile occasionally reveals. Occams razor.
    True. Keith’s speakers are slightly less sensitive than their rated sensitivity according to JA’s measurements.

I'd be doubly particular in listening/auditioning to the Speakers with Shindo front end--you may not concur with the warmish slightly Syrupy but very smooth sonics.

Just my opinion as an aforementioned previous Shindo owner

Could be a dose of too much languidness together?

YVMV

B

True. Keith’s speakers are slightly less sensitive than their rated sensitivity according to JA’s measurements.
    Aha, searched and found. Mystery solved ;-).

Not much sound above 10k cycles as was written in a review.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Anyone hear the Auditorium 23 Hommage Cinema?