Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

My Switch from Tidal to Qobuz (Roon content as well)

I decided to switch from Tidal to Qobuz. The process was fairly straightforward but it took me a few hours.

Here is what I did.

• Signed up with Qobuz.
    • Opened up account with Soundiiz (this allows to create a mirror image of all your favorite albums, tracks, and playlist between different music services).
    • Then I used Soundiiz to automatically mirror all my Tidal library (playlist, albums, tracks) to Qobuz.

After the "transfer", Soundiiz showed the same number of albums in both platforms. So far so good.

Since I use Roon, I connected it to my new Qobuz account.

In Roon I ran a quick check and found a difference in the number of Tidal and Qobuz albums in my library. (Soundiiz had indicated otherwise). So my next question was which albums are missing and why?

Next I used Roon’s “Focus” tool to help me decipher that.

Here is the process I followed:

• In Roon, when two versions of the same album are in the library, one has to pick one version as a “Primary”. That Primary version is the one that will show when you do a search (the second version becomes a "duplicate"). It looked as if when I connected Qobuz to Roon, Roon made the new Qobuz versions as Primary. That gave me the idea of using Roon’s “Focus” tool.
    • Using Focus I had Roon list all the Tidal and Qobuz albums in my library. I had Roon show them alphabetically (by Artist). Theoretically, if all Tidal albums had been perfectly matched with a Qobuz counterpart (and Roon had made those Qobuz versions Primary), then the list should only show the Qobuz albums (i.e., the "Primary" ones).
    • The list showed many Tidal albums. Looking deeper into the issue I found that If a Tidal album was showing, that meant that a) that album was not available in Qobuz’s library (like, for example, all the MQA albums from Tidal that I had in my library), or b) the metadata from Tidal and Qobuz album are different and Roon “sees” both albums as different.
    • I went over the list and manually added the Qobuz album version that I wanted. This took me a few hours time. But it also helped me select the best version of the missing albums (when more than one version was offered).As far the Tidal MQA albums, in EVERY case I found a corresponding Hi Rez album in Qobuz.

After that process was complete, any Tidal album that was still showing on the list is simply NOT available in Qobuz. The number of albums that were NOT in Qobuz library was very small and were primarily obscure albums that I already had ripped and stored are stored in my NAS library. So once I quit Tidal, Roon should automatically make those ripped version the "Primary" versions and all will be fine.

For a week or so I plan to keep running both Tidal and Qobuz before I cut the "stream" on Tidal.

Re: My Switch from Tidal to Qobuz (Roon content as well)

Keep us posted

Super Moderator

Welcome
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Banned

Congrats!!! We made the move from T to Q last month. Permanently dumped T the beginning of this month. Streaming Q is enjoyable.

Thank you
    Is the Soundiz free plan enough to do the move?

Quote Originally Posted by gabweb View Post
    Thank you
    Is the Soundiz free plan enough to do the move?
    The free plan cannot do the transfer. I enrolled in the premium program (about $5 per month) and plan to revert to the free plan before 30 days. So $5 total cost.

One thing that I discovered is that Playlists created within Roon have to be converted manually.

So if one plans to have a playlist that only contains music from a streaming service, say Tidal or Qobuz, it may be wise to create it with their app in case one wants to change music streaming services in the future.

All done. I tried Qobuz for a few days. Everything works. Very few albums/tracks were not available in Qobuz. Nothing to worry about. I have now cancelled Tidal.

Which Qobuz plan did you get? I am in the trial period and starting looking at the paid options.
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 XTRM, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Tosca arm; SME 3012R arm, Ortofon Diamond Anna; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Taiko Audio Extreme> Lampizator Horizon, Oppo UDP-203;

Quote Originally Posted by dminches View Post
    Which Qobuz plan did you get? I am in the trial period and starting looking at the paid options.
    $15 per month plan. Includes high def versions of albums.

Quote Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
    $15 per month plan. Includes high def versions of albums.
    Is that considered Studio Premier which seems to be regularly $24.99 per month?
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 XTRM, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Tosca arm; SME 3012R arm, Ortofon Diamond Anna; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Taiko Audio Extreme> Lampizator Horizon, Oppo UDP-203;

Quote Originally Posted by dminches View Post
    Is that considered Studio Premier which seems to be regularly $24.99 per month?
    Yes. It is Studio Premier and it is being offered for $15 per month. Offer good until the end of January 2020.

Is there any remote control app for Quobuz outside of Roon? That’s my biggest issue with Tidal.
    Living Room System: Mac Mini > PS Audio PWD MKII/ Marantz TT-15 Turntable w/ Ortofon Cadenza Bronze> Musical Fidelity LX2LPS> Primaluna Dialogue Premium> Klipsch Forte III

At least as far as jazz goes, Tidal simply has more albums than Quobuz. For the here and now, it’s worth it to me to keep both Tidal and Quobuz. I love the way Roon seamlessly integrates both Tidal and Quobuz and I can select an album I want to hear, select “versions,” and then scroll through all the different versions available.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by nile49 View Post
    Is there any remote control app for Quobuz outside of Roon? That’s my biggest issue with Tidal.
    I really don’t know. I only use Roon (with Qobuz connected to it in the background).

Quote Originally Posted by nile49 View Post
    There seem to be several which I found with a quick search (I have no experience with any of these...) mconnect, Linn Kazoo or Audirvana Remote.

I tried Quobuz on 2 different occasions a couple of years apart and more recently but had ongoing issues with buffering and stoppages, never with Tidal. Support from Q could not solve any of my issues so I gave up. Tidal works perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tapatrick View Post
    I tried Quobuz on 2 different occasions a couple of years apart and more recently but had ongoing issues with buffering and stoppages, never with Tidal. Support from Q could not solve any of my issues so I gave up. Tidal works perfectly.

I've been to three county fairs and two goat breedings, but I have never heard of this issue before.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Depends which goats and sheep you talk too I suppose.

I have lots of Qubuz freezing issues. It hangs up and shutting it down does nothing. It goes right back to the track that hung it up in the first place. Qobuz support is nonexistent. Have no idea Tidal support. Never needes it. Still, I use Qobuz.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingrex View Post
    I have lots of Qubuz freezing issues. It hangs up and shutting it down does nothing. It goes right back to the track that hung it up in the first place. Qobuz support is nonexistent. Have no idea Tidal support. Never needes it. Still, I use Qobuz.
    Rex, that sounds like Network issues.

Before I updated my network, and increased speeds I had issues with Tidal when playing MQA files.

Since then over a year ago, zero issues!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

I use both Tidal and Quboz; both work flawlessly. high rez from Qudoz can be very good; Tidal MQA a step below but still good. 16/44 from Quboz mostly better than MQA from Tidal.

I do have a robust network infrastructure and great server and dac with fiber optic cable both on my network and between my dac and server.

all that said my files on the PCIe drives on my server are the best digital source I've yet heard. streaming sounds wonderful and I love the access to all the music, but for performance files rule at the top of the digital food chain.

Not network. Its to clean and fast. More likely Windows 10 with AO is interfering. Plus, my system is made to operate very low power. Qobuz uses almost 40% of my resources. I do t upsample, but if I did I am suppose to convert my files beforehand and save them to an internal drive as Mike is noting and play them. I am not to on the fly upsample.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lavigne View Post
    I use both Tidal and Quboz; both work flawlessly. high rez from Qudoz can be very good; Tidal MQA a step below but still good. 16/44 from Quboz mostly better than MQA from Tidal.

I do have a robust network infrastructure and great server and dac with fiber optic cable both on my network and between my dac and server.

all that said my files on the PCIe drives on my server are the best digital source I've yet heard. streaming sounds wonderful and I love the access to all the music, but for performance files rule at the top of the digital food chain.
    I am in agreement with your sentence in bold and I suspect some who drank the MQA Kool-Aid will find what you said to be controversial. Not only do I find that many 16/44.1 files sound better than the MQA versions, this also applies to "hi-rez" files as well. And I put hi-rez in quotations because we don't know the provenance of the files and whether or not they were truly made from the master tape or whether the "hi-rez" files are just upsampled 16/44.1 files.

The interesting thing here is that we have completely different systems, servers, and DACs and yet we agree that just because a file says "MQA" or "24/192" doesn't mean it will sound better than the 16/44.1 version. To the contrary, many will sound worse unless your bias clouds your hearing. I strongly suspect that in an effort to remove tape hiss from digital files, they are run through some sort of a notch filter. With digital files that at some point in their life originated from an analog tape, you should be able to hear the noise floor of the tape in quiet moments. When you don't, it means other information was stripped out along with the tape hiss. I find it reassuring when I play a file that I know was originally an analog tape recording and I can hear the noise floor of the tape. It usually means I'm going to hear a good to great recording. Coincidentally, I find that happens more on 16.441 files than "hi-rez" files.

Not network. Its to clean and fast. More likely Windows 10 with AO is interfering. Plus, my system is made to operate very low power. Qobuz uses almost 40% of my resources. I do t upsample, but if I did I am suppose to convert my files beforehand and save them to an internal drive as Mike is noting and play them. I am not to on the fly upsample.
    Windows based servers have issues because they run Windows and Windows always has 1,000 things running in the background. And as long as your Windows server is connected to the internet, you need to have security updates turned on to prevent malware and viruses. I don't know how many times over the years when I was running a Windows server that I had to reboot the server before I could play any files. Sometimes it was because of updates and sometimes just because the computer locked up.

Since I purchased the Roon Nucleus+, I no longer have those issues. I have never had a file glitch on either Quobuz or Tidal.

Until Qobuz can get sufficient subs and a bigger library, I'm not switching over. I also have a Tidal family account and my girlfriend enjoys her own playlists, albums, etc. Qobuz doesn't have this feature yet.

I'm really hoping Spotify goes CD quality and I'll move there in an instant. Amazon went, so perhaps not far behind.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    Until Qobuz can get sufficient subs and a bigger library, I'm not switching over. I also have a Tidal family account and my girlfriend enjoys her own playlists, albums, etc. Qobuz doesn't have this feature yet.

I'm really hoping Spotify goes CD quality and I'll move there in an instant. Amazon went, so perhaps not far behind.
    Me neither. I'm keeping both of them.

Has anyone ever considered that these "stutters and freezes" are manufactured to simulate skips and other anomalies as present in vinyl records?
    My System
    Acoustic Revive RTP-4
    Innuos Pulsar
    Lampizator BALTIC4
    Cary SLP-05
    Pass XA30.5 or
    Line Magnetic 845ia
    Reference 3A Reflector's
    Pr SVS SB3000 Subs
    Cables & Tubes "subject to change without notification".
    Complete system on battery power/solar
    Core Audio Design Rack
    DIY bass traps and custom curved diffusors.

Quote Originally Posted by jadedavid View Post
    Has anyone ever considered that these "stutters and freezes" are manufactured to simulate skips and other anomalies as present in vinyl records?
    That’s a funny joke.

I have yet to find a MQA version that sounds worse than either a 16/44 version I have or a non MQA Tidal version. There are some that probably sound the same.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    I have yet to find a MQA version that sounds worse than either a 16/44 version I have or a non MQA Tidal version. There are some that probably sound the same.
    You won’t be the only one that feels that way.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post

I am keeping Tidal in addition to Qobuz, mainly because of the Family account and I get a military discount.

Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Banned

I just downloaded over 1800 songs from Qobuz to our Aurender (37 minutes - 940 Mbps connection). Aurender and Qobuz are met for one another. Amazing quality on Qobuz/Aurender playback - not as good as my SACDs on the Luxman, but ....

I didn't find MQA satisfying with Tidal. So, that's one reason why we dropped Tidal. I have ordered a MQA album ("The Raven" by Rebecca Pidgeon) though to test MQA without streaming. We'll see in a week (import CD) or so if it beats SACDS, etc.

I was thinking of giving Qobuz a go, my DAC isn't MQA and I'm interested in hearing what the higher rez sounds like from them. They don't quite seem to have their act together, I would like to get the $15.00 but when it asks for my payment info it says I will be charged $21.95 after the trial. I was trying to get clarification on the tiers and was told they oonly have two now, Studio Premier and I think the one where you get the purchase discounts.

I listen to a lot of Rock and wonder how qobuz is on that.

I'm also tired of my albums in favorites disappearing from Tidal and how they only show a hand full of new releases a week when there has to be hundreds.

I suspect I will find none are "just rifht" lol
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

I've been a Qobuz subscriber for three years most of which was at the higher Euro conversion rate with and EU account and to me the better sound quality was worth the extra cost. I switched to a US account after giving them about six months to get things up and running smoothly. I am now locked into at least the next year at $12.99 a month but was paying $25 before that. Even at $21.95 to me it would be worth it so do the free trial and see what you think. On your missing Tidal albums sometimes if you do a new search they will still be there because when the new rights agreements are signed sometimes the catalog numbers get changed. You might not find all of them but you might find some of them.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Qobuz is resource in ntensive. It causes trouble with my server. Im probably going to dump Qobuz and try Amazon. AJ said its good.

Qobuz is resource in ntensive. It causes trouble with my server. Im probably going to dump Qobuz and try Amazon. AJ said its good.
    Huh?

My thoughts exactly. Sounds like a hardware issue not a Qobuz issue.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Its a qubuz deal. These are technical integrators performing software installation and they say Qobuz is full of packets that operated independently that take up space and resources. This is real world feedback. Probably a good dose of tracking crap. Software analyzing your computer. Why else would it be so inexpensive. Where do you think they get their money. HAAAAAA, you thought you had software that only steamed music. Hahaaaaaaaaaaa

Is your "Server" running the desktop version of Qobuz? As the API version has been running flawlessly on the $500 Aries Mini for over three years.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team