Speakers for small room
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Speakers for small room

Enjoying my current set up, but of course, always thinking of upgrades.

I turn 61 next year, and am starting to think of the “final system”, as major upgrades won’t happen after retirement.

We are in our downsize house, and I ended up with a 9.5x14 foot room, with a sloped ceiling. Due to a hallway entry the speaker wall is both a short wall, and there is limited space to move the speakers out.

I have treated the room with 2x floor to ceiling traps, a back wall bass trap, and a ceiling mounted first reflection trap. (GIK staff and products)

I will be keeping the Bricasti M12, but considering speaker and amp upgrades. The MC60 amps hum with my Druids, as they did with my dad’s Klipschorns. I had to turn the gain down, and they lost a lot of luster.

I hope to travel to audition gear at some point. I dont plan to buy this level of gear without hearing.

Smallish speakers, kind of aiming for the foot square size of the Druids. Would not mind Bricasti amp, depending on speakers. Under 20k for speakers.

For music, I like all kinds. Not a lot of classical, but I like guitar, jazz, classic rock, and some electronica/ambient. I also watch TV and BluRay via my speakers. A sub is present now, but probably not in final config.

Thanks for your consideration.
    Amp : McIntosh MC60 (from my Dad - reconditioned/retubed)
    Digital : Bricasti M12, Oppo 203
    Analog : Technics SL1200G, DIY K&K Audio Maxxed Phono Amp
    Speakers : Zu Audio Druid V + Zu Audio Undertone
    Headphone : BHSE + Voce

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Speakers for small room

Does that limited space to move them out from the wall limit you to sealed or front ported? Can they come out 24" from the rear? By smallish do you mean stand mount, small floor stander or either?
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Nuprime CDT-8, Auralic Aries G1, Aqua La Voce S3, Supratek Chardonnay, Van Alstine Vision SET 400, Reynaud Abcisse Jubilee, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC's , Triode Wire Lab PC's & SC's, PS Audio Stellar P3, PI Audio Uberbuss, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Teac NT-505, Audia Flight FL Three S, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Audio Sensibility SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

3. Likes Bones13 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a prejudice for floor standers, but trying to be open minded.

There is room for the front of the speakers to be 2 feet out.

i have been looking at sealed, front ported, or bottom ported speakers, but not against considering rear ported speakers. The 40hz room mode identified with REW is somewhat ameliorated by the room treatment. True correction required several (many) 40hz bass panels that were 2x2 feet square and 8-10 inch deep. My man cave would have looked like a padded cell!

I want to listen to some of the active speakers, with DSP capability. Somewhat afraid of the class D amplification, and the digital AD-DSP-DA that goes on before the amp too. But those are just fears, which might go away with listening. The Dynaudio actives, and the Manger S1 look appealing, with sealed cabinets, small size, and analog inputs.

Post Thanks / Like

Might I suggest the Janszen Audio Active Valentina speakers? Priced at roughly $12-13k (depending on finish), they are designed to be placed close to the front wall and have built in DSP equalization settings that may help compensate for the 40Hz bass bump in your room. They are floor standers with no ports and XLR analog inputs. I auditioned them when I did a factory visit in their Columbus, OH facility. The only downside for you is that sales are manufacturer direct, so there are no US dealers. They were reviewed in The Absolute Sound (which is how I first learned of Janszen) and the review is online.

Oh, and they sound amazing. (Always important, right?) I currently have the passive version of the Carmelita's (due to space considerations), but looking a few years down the road, I believe my speaker upgrade path will include serious consideration for the Active Valentina's.
    Pass Labs XP-10, Odyssey Audio Stratos+ Monoblocks, OPPO UDP-205, Auralic Aries G1, Bryston BDA-3, Janszen zA1.1, SVS SB13-Ultra, Audioquest cabling, Panamax power conditioner

6. Thanks Bones13 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bones13 View Post
    I want to listen to some of the active speakers, with DSP capability. Somewhat afraid of the class D amplification, and the digital AD-DSP-DA that goes on before the amp too. But those are just fears, which might go away with listening.
    Mobile isn't too far from Tampa, where Flexpo will be in Feb. Rooms there aren't that much larger than yours and will contain both passive and actives as you describe. So multiple types in same sized rooms. 60+ such rooms. Might be helpful.

cheers,

AJ

8. Thanks Bones13 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tino27 View Post
    Might I suggest the Janszen Audio Active Valentina speakers? Priced at roughly $12-13k (depending on finish), they are designed to be placed close to the front wall and have built in DSP equalization settings that may help compensate for the 40Hz bass bump in your room. They are floor standers with no ports and XLR analog inputs. I auditioned them when I did a factory visit in their Columbus, OH facility. The only downside for you is that sales are manufacturer direct, so there are no US dealers. They were reviewed in The Absolute Sound (which is how I first learned of Janszen) and the review is online.

Oh, and they sound amazing. (Always important, right?) I currently have the passive version of the Carmelita's (due to space considerations), but looking a few years down the road, I believe my speaker upgrade path will include serious consideration for the Active Valentina's.
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Soundfield View Post
    Mobile isn't too far from Tampa, where Flexpo will be in Feb. Rooms there aren't that much larger than yours and will contain both passive and actives as you describe. So multiple types in same sized rooms. 60+ such rooms. Might be helpful.

cheers,

AJ
    Thanks for both suggestions. I have indeed researched the Janzsen speakers. Although they are direct sell, he will "rent" you a pair for trial at your home. Something I may do. I do have some electrostatic headphones, and am interested in his speakers, particularly if I can give them a try at home next year.

I have been to Axpona twice now with my son, and tend to get overwhelmed there. I hope to listen to some speakers in a couple of dealers. My son lives in Atlanta, my parents live in Houston, and I may make a trip to Sarasota . Still kinda doing the internet searching thing, waiting to see if I get enough bonus at end year and next quarter to fund either speakers or a new amp, or an Active speaker such as the Janzsen or Dynaudio. I plan to go down this path slowly, as I am not terribly unhappy with my system as it is. So far, I have gotten my endgame Streamer/Dac/Pre and Turntable. The Phono Pre that I built from the K&K Audio kit would be hard to beat I think.

Again, thanks for suggestions. I have been interested in the Magico A3, and S1 MkII, thinking they may be good in my small room, but feel they would need more amplification than the McIntosh MC60s, although I would be able to turn up the gain from the lower end that I use now. I'm going to want to listen to those first, as I have only obliquely listened to their higher end gear at Axpona.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if they meet all your criteria, but, Harbeth P3ESRs?

11. Likes Bones13 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Harbeth are on my list to audition, the 3s, 30s and 5s. I have heard the 40s and 30s at Axpona in the Vinnie Rossi room. The 40s would be great, but physically too big for my room. A lot of what I read about the Harbeth talks about needing to be well away from walls to get their magical sound. Front ported though, and my nearly near field listening, with room treatments, might be ok. Having a sub to use as needed for some music types, and video, could make smaller speakers work for me.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Just a fyi - I have the Harbeth M30.1 and the P3ESR - both are installed in enclosures and do very well. There are no rear or bottom ports, which probably has something to do with their performance in cabinets vs free standing in the room.
    Studio/Study:
    HTPC > or PS Audio Directstream Memory Player > MSB Diamond IV Stack > or PS Audio Directsteam DAC > PS Audio BHK Pre > Pass Lab First Watt SIT-3 > Harbeth P3ESR Speakers

Main Listening Rig:
    Mojo Audio DejaVu Server > Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC or T+A PDP3000HV Transport + DAC > T+A PA3100HV Amp > JM Reynaud Orfeo Jubilee Speakers

Home Theater:
    McIntosh MVP901 Media Player > McIntosh C2300 Pre > McIntosh MC302 Amp or VAC Sigma 160iSE Integrated Amp > Harbeth M30.1 Speakers

14. Thanks Bones13 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There's a pair of KEF reference 3's for sale on here. I have the 5's and love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Processor: Bryston SP3
    Amps: Bryston 28b3s, Bryston 4b3, Bryston 9bsst2
    Digital: EMM NS1, EMM DA2
    Speakers: Kef Reference 5, Kef Reference 4c, Kef Ci200RR-THX (surround/back)
    Subs: Two JL Audio F212v2
    Power: PS Audio PS10, Bryston BIT15
    Wires: Wireworld Silver Eclipse XLR & SC, Ethernet - WW Platinum USB
    Other: Stillpoint Ultra SS, ISO-Acoustics ISO Pucks
    Video: Oppo 203, LG 65inch OLED
    -Kyle

16. Likes Bones13 liked this post

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast