Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Accuphase E480 vs E650

Hello everyone, I have a question, I currently have the integrated Accuphase E370 (2 years ago) and I would like to update my amplifier. I like the sound of Accuphase so I want to continue with this brand. But my big question is to go for the E650 or E480 (I have no chance to hear them) I ask the foreros who know these 2 models to give me their opinions please. I usually listen to jazz. Thank you very much.

Re: Accuphase E480 vs E650

All comes down to your speakers

Quote Originally Posted by dznutz View Post
    All comes down to your speakers

Thanks for answering, I currently have the Proac Response D18, in 2019 new speakers will surely come, but it is another topic that I have to analyze well later.

If you can afford it, go with the e650 (or the new e800(?)) to avoid an upgrade in the future. It’s just money after all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Amplification: DartZeel 468 (2) // DartZeel NHB18NS Mk. II
    Tuner: MagnumDynalab 108T/SE
    Table/Cart: J.Sikora Reference // Integrity HiFi Tru-Glider - DSAudio GrandMaster EX // Integrity HiFI Tru-Glider - Ortofon A Mono
    Equalizer/Phono Pre: DSAudio Master3
    Speakers: TAD R-1 MkII, REL Six Pack of REL Carbon Specials
    Power: Nordost QBase8 Mk3, QX4, Qkore1, 3 and 6 (chassis), QK1 (2), QV2 (2), Chord GroundAray (signal), Chord Line Aray (3), Chord Professional, AddPOWR EAU2 (2)
    DAC/Serv-stream: LampiZator Horizon/ Taiko Extreme
    Elrod Master Statement Diamond SE Speaker Cables
    Elrod Master Statement Diamond PCs (7), Evolution Acoustics 50 ohm (Zeel Connection), Nordost Odin2 IC (2), Nordost Valhalla II USB, CH Acoustic X20 IC, Final Touch Audio Elara PCs (6)
    AudioDesk Systeme RCM
    CMS Ultra 2.0 Footers TT (2) and TD (2), Revopods (2) and SortKones and EVPs where they work
    Critical Mass Systems Ultra-Q Rack > Silence Focus Amp Stands

Quote Originally Posted by Hounddog View Post
    If you can afford it, go with the e650 (or the new e800(?)) to avoid an upgrade in the future. It’s just money after all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Thank you for your comment, I would love to have the E800, but it is more expensive, and at this moment it is almost impossible.

I currently have the E-650. Prior to that I had the E-470. They are both very good amps. If 30 wpc is sufficient for your needs, get the E-650. If not, the E-480 is very, very good.
    Gary
    Main: Lumin A1, Accuphase E-650, Tannoy Canterbury GR, Shunyata, Audience
    Secondary: Lumin M1, Linton Heritage, Shunyata, Audience

Quote Originally Posted by Oly View Post
    I currently have the E-650. Prior to that I had the E-470. They are both very good amps. If 30 wpc is sufficient for your needs, get the E-650. If not, the E-480 is very, very good.
    Thanks Oly.

Again, power is not the primary determining factor in selecting one or the other. They sound distinctly different. Anyone who says "if 30 watts are enough then go Class A" either has no experience or is simply giving bad advice. Both Integrated's are engineered and built phenomenally well, but they do not sound the same. As an example for reference, I have owned the Canterbury GR... and powered them with Devialet, Bryston and Sugden (A). I would agree that Class A sounded the best/most natural there... but it was a boring sound for me.

I owned the Proac K6 for a very short period of time so I dont feel comfortable advising which one would work better with Proacs.

Again, power is not the primary determining factor in selecting one or the other. They sound distinctly different. Anyone who says "if 30 watts are enough then go Class A" either has no experience or is simply giving bad advice. Both Integrated's are engineered and built phenomenally well, but they do not sound the same. As an example for reference, I have owned the Canterbury GR... and powered them with Devialet, Bryston and Sugden (A). I would agree that Class A sounded the best/most natural there... but it was a boring sound for me.

I owned the Proac K6 for a very short period of time so I dont feel comfortable advising which one would work better with Proacs.
    Hello dznutz, I am very grateful for your comment, it is not certain, but I think that in 2020 I will change all my equipment, I want a change. Very soon I tell you the news. Thank you once again, to the users for their messages.

I might depend of the efficiency of your speakers and how loud you listen etc but the E-650 is in different league (better) than the E-480.
    AUDIO ROOM: CH Precision I1, Luxman D-10X, Luxman PD-171A, Stenheim Alumine Three, Shunyata Everest, Tellurium Q, Sitech cables and interconnects, CORE Audio Design racks and a whole host of other silly audiophile accessories!

HOME OFFICE: Luxman L-595ASE, Hi-Fi Rose 150B, Diapason Neos, Tellurium Q Cables.

Quote Originally Posted by GreginNH View Post
    I might depend of the efficiency of your speakers and how loud you listen etc but the E-650 is in different league (better) than the E-480.
    Disagreed. It is literally impossible to listen to a component on its own, we are always listening to a system as a whole. From what I recall, the E650 has a better pre-amp section, does that necessarily translate to better sound... NO. I had the e650 and the E480 in my home. With Dynaudio Contour 60's the E480 sounded much better. Perhaps, if at that time, I had some more revealing and unforgiving speakers then I would have sided with the 650. All Im saying here is that the sonic presentation of Class A and Class A/B cannot be compared and judged as easily as some people think.

Quote Originally Posted by Andik777 View Post
    I think that in 2020 I will change all my equipment, I want a change. Very soon I tell you the news.
    If it were me, I would do the speakers before (hopefully auditioning and) deciding on an integrated.

Quote Originally Posted by GreginNH View Post
    Hi GreginNH, thank you very much for your opinion, I will keep it in mind.

Disagreed. It is literally impossible to listen to a component on its own, we are always listening to a system as a whole. From what I recall, the E650 has a better pre-amp section, does that necessarily translate to better sound... NO. I had the e650 and the E480 in my home. With Dynaudio Contour 60's the E480 sounded much better. Perhaps, if at that time, I had some more revealing and unforgiving speakers then I would have sided with the 650. All Im saying here is that the sonic presentation of Class A and Class A/B cannot be compared and judged as easily as some people think.
    Thank you I understand your point of view perfectly

Quote Originally Posted by GSOphile View Post
    If it were me, I would do the speakers before (hopefully auditioning and) deciding on an integrated.
    Thanks GSOphile, you are absolutely right, I have in my mind the Harbeth and Tannoy, these days I will go listen to them

Quote Originally Posted by Andik777 View Post
    Hello everyone, I have a question, I currently have the integrated Accuphase E370 (2 years ago) and I would like to update my amplifier. I like the sound of Accuphase so I want to continue with this brand. But my big question is to go for the E650 or E480 (I have no chance to hear them) I ask the foreros who know these 2 models to give me their opinions please. I usually listen to jazz. Thank you very much.
    Im currently considering this myself. The dealer has offered to exhange my e370 with dac50 card for a brand new e650 with dac60 if I add about 4000. I have 99db effecient speakers, so 30 w should be fine. What did you end up doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Lieberung View Post
    Im currently considering this myself. The dealer has offered to exhange my e370 with dac50 card for a brand new e650 with dac60 if I add about 4000. I have 99db effecient speakers, so 30 w should be fine. What did you end up doing?
    Hi, sadly I didn't, I sold my Accuphase E370 and bought myself a tube amp. But I am sure that one day I will buy the E650 or E800.

Hi, currently I own E260 and E370 driving two separate systems in my space limited home. And plan to replace one of them with class A amp. Since I want to stick to Accuphase, I am considering 2nd hand A36 amp to get coupled to Pre-out of my E260. Or spend more and get E650 or even E800 instead selling one of the two I currently have. My Jamo and Thiel speakers are low impedance (max 4ohm) so I hope to squeeze more sound out of class A push pull configuration Accuphase offers among these three A36, E650, E800. What would you choose if you were in my position with my setup? Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Suavek View Post
    Hi, currently I own E260 and E370 driving two separate systems in my space limited home. And plan to replace one of them with class A amp. Since I want to stick to Accuphase, I am considering 2nd hand A36 amp to get coupled to Pre-out of my E260. Or spend more and get E650 or even E800 instead selling one of the two I currently have. My Jamo and Thiel speakers are low impedance (max 4ohm) so I hope to squeeze more sound out of class A push pull configuration Accuphase offers among these three A36, E650, E800. What would you choose if you were in my position with my setup? Cheers.
    Why two separate systems? I have the e370 and it works wonderful with my Klipsch Heresy IVs. I consider upgrading to e650 myself and I think that would work nicely since the speakers are so easy to drive. As I understand the pre section of the integrated gets better as you get higher up in the series, so I would try to sell both and get hold of a second hand e650 or e800, or check if a accuphase dealer is willing to take your amps in exchange. The e650 and e800 is considered class A and probably gets warmer than the amps you have today.

Quote Originally Posted by Lieberung View Post
    Why two separate systems? I have the e370 and it works wonderful with my Klipsch Heresy IVs. I consider upgrading to e650 myself and I think that would work nicely since the speakers are so easy to drive. As I understand the pre section of the integrated gets better as you get higher up in the series, so I would try to sell both and get hold of a second hand e650 or e800, or check if a accuphase dealer is willing to take your amps in exchange. The e650 and e800 is considered class A and probably gets warmer than the amps you have today.
    Well maybe because I want to have two systems, or even three or four. If that's an obstacles for you then your problem. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Suavek View Post
    Well maybe because I want to have two systems, or even three or four. If that's an obstacles for you then your problem. Cheers.
    Obstacle for me? No, thats cool, I was just curious, I meant no offence.
    How do you think the e260 and e370 compare to each other?

After selling my E370, I really miss the Accuphase sound. I hope one day to have an Accuphase E480 or E650 amplifier again.

I can comment on the 308, 470, 480 and 800 from an actual personal viewpoint. Owning a 308 and an 800. And my neighbour have had both 470 and 480 on home audition after I bought his 308.

Starting with my neighbours old 308(now mine). A very clean sounding amp. Albeit kinda thin on the lower end with my EBEN/ADYTON X3 cabs.

My 800 fills that gap perfectly fine as of now. Same cabs with nothing else changed gives me more bass response. And more warmth.

470 vs 480 is so minute a difference in my book that it is not an upgrade I would recommend. The 180 Watt pair were listened to on Focal 936 cabs with a DP-65 as source.

308 vs 470/480 More of everything. More power, better bass response. I could go on.

For OP.
    If you're more of a Jazzman than a Metalhead like me you may be better of going for a 650 or 800. I've made my 800 work with my music. I realize a 480 might have been a more suitable choice for me personally. But I was already considering a 650 instead of a 480 I had originally ordered. I got told that if I wanted the 650 I'd have to wait till October, this was in May. But if I picked the 800 there was one available for me. So 800 it was. And I don't regret it at all.
    It's a chonky boi, even compared to a 480.
    If you can afford the step up to an 800, do it. If a 650 is all you can afford, still worth going for. If a 480 is the ceiling budgetwise you will still get one the best integrateds on the market today.
    No matter which amp you land on there are three strong contenders. But I would still say the 650 or 800 will be better suited to your chosen music genre.
    I can give two different builds on my neighbours and my systems. He has chosen power, brute force. I have gone for precision and clarity. Odd choice for a metalhead, but I'm weird anyway.
    Main stereo
    Accuphase E-800
    Bryston BDA 3.14
    Accuphase DP-65V
    EBEN/ADYTON X3 (Coming soon, Legacy Audio Signature SE Olive Ash Burl Veneer finish)
    Source MSI GS66 Stealth

Bedroom Stereo
    Accuphase E-308
    NAD M51 DAC
    Focal Chorus 706 (Will be using EBEN/ADYTON X3 speakers on this as soon as my Legacy Audio Signature SE cabs arrive)
    Source 2020 Macbook Air M1

Head-Fi system
    Smythe Realizer A16
    Stax SRM 352
    Stax L500 MK2
    Focal Clear
    Source HP ENVY X360

Nordost, Burmeister, Accuphase and Wireworld cables

Thanks for the answer, I am a jazz musician, between E650 and E480 there is not much difference in price, the E800 is much more expensive in Argentina.
    There is an Accuphase distributor in Argentina, when I have the money I will listen to the 2 amplifiers, and I will make the decision.

Andikk777 , do you have the Lumin X1 ?? if you do , do you need the pre-amp section from an integrated ??
    I ask you as i have Accuphase E-470 and with Lumin X1 i tried to just use the amp section of the Accuphase and let Lumin be the pre-amp and its a noticeable difference , i am not going back.
    Flemming

Lumin X1
    Rotel Michi S5
    Focus Audio FS788

Inter connect : Nordost Tyr 2 ( 2 Meter )
    LS cable : Yter
    Power Cables : Nordost Frey 2 ( 2 Meter )
    Nordost QB8
    Fibercable for feeding the Lumin X1
    Rack : Finite Elemente Pagode

Does anyone know if it's possible to turn off the power amp section in the 480/650 if you want to use them as a preamp only? Running the 650 as a preamp would be expensive and hot if its Class A amp was powered on simultaneously.

I already have the ultra high-end Pioneer M4 Class A amp, and want to build a pass design VFET power amp, so I'm looking at the 480 as a real option for acting as a control amp with a great, efficient A/B stage for when I don't want to run the space heaters.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry, as far as I know (having owned the 650 and loved it) there’s no way to turn off the amp section.

As much as I love the idea of being able to use the separate sections of most integrateds, it never really makes sense to me, especially for that reason of leaving the class A amp section on.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Thank you! Yeah, that's why I'm heavily considering the 480 (especially if I can find one used). It sounds like the pre-amp section of the 480 is awesome, and shouldn't draw a whole lot of power while I'm using it to drive a Class A separate.

Btw, how often does Accuphase refresh their integrateds? Seems the E480 has been around for about 3 years now?

Super Moderator

Great question. I don’t know of any set schedule but the E-800 has already superseded the E-650. I think the E-480 is due.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

As far as i know ( i have Accuphase E-470 ) you can turn of the pre-amp of and only use the amp section of the Accuphase , not the other way around. And Having Lumin X1 with its Leedh processing i have to say it is way better than the Accuphase pre-amp section in the E-470 so for now i only use the amp section of the Accuphase.
    Flemming

Lumin X1
    Rotel Michi S5
    Focus Audio FS788

Nordost QB8

Btw, I see you have some experience with Luxman...

I'm curious how the L-509X would compare to the E-480...

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by st1n View Post
    Btw, I see you have some experience with Luxman...

I'm curious how the L-509X would compare to the E-480...
    I’m not familiar enough with the AB accuphase gear but my Luxman (especially the 595a) gear is stunning. I’m absolutely happy with my current gear.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by FDPDK View Post
    Andikk777 , do you have the Lumin X1 ?? if you do , do you need the pre-amp section from an integrated ??
    I ask you as i have Accuphase E-470 and with Lumin X1 i tried to just use the amp section of the Accuphase and let Lumin be the pre-amp and its a noticeable difference , i am not going back.
    Yes, I have the X1, but at the moment I have a tube amp (Cayin CS88A) I miss the sound of my Accuphase a lot. When I have the Accuphase I'm going to test the X1 as a preamp.

Quote Originally Posted by FDPDK View Post
    As far as i know ( i have Accuphase E-470 ) you can turn of the pre-amp of and only use the amp section of the Accuphase , not the other way around. And Having Lumin X1 with its Leedh processing i have to say it is way better than the Accuphase pre-amp section in the E-470 so for now i only use the amp section of the Accuphase.
    Interesting. I would've assumed Accuphase's analog sections would be more competent. I'd be curious to hear how it compares using the X1 at fixed volume as a DAC only, into the BAL of the 470?

st1n , as far as i know you can't use Lumin X1 as a standalone DAC the Lumin X1 is a streamer with a build in DAC and in addition you get the possibility to use the Leedh processing as a pre-amp. And from what i have been reading in reviews it is highly competent. From my understanding to have a better pre-amp than the Leedh processing in Lumin X1 you need to cash out a serious amount of money. If someone here have tried that i hope they might chime in.
    Flemming

Lumin X1
    Rotel Michi S5
    Focus Audio FS788

Nordost QB8

Is the only difference between the e-38 and 480 just output power? I know the 280 is in a smaller chassis and has more plastic (from what I've seen on Youtube). The 380 and 480 looks like it shares pretty much the same body

Quote Originally Posted by Arcman View Post
    Is the only difference between the e-38 and 480 just output power? I know the 280 is in a smaller chassis and has more plastic (from what I've seen on Youtube). The 380 and 480 looks like it shares pretty much the same body
    The 480 is marginally bigger than 380. Take a look at the product specs at accuphase.com

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Accuphase E480 vs E650