Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Any thoughts on these 3 amps?

I am at the budget end of the market, and living in the Uk. I am wanting your collective thoughts on 3 amp that are in the running, a class A/B in the form of an Anthem MCA 225 and class D amps from Nord and the other, a PS Audio Stellar 300. In ££ they are £2000 for the Anthem £1200 for the Nord and £1300 for the PS Audio.
    The pre is an Anthem MRX 520 using the pre outs, and the speakers are Amphion Argon1's

many thanks

Re: Any thoughts on these 3 amps?

Given that Nord have about 208 pages on this forum i would be thinking about them . they have a brilliant pre amp too. I am running some very modest class D monoblocks that cost almost nothing . I had a 14k amp last for a good many years , but had to sell to pay the bills . the ice power amps are a great consolation.

The Nord are made in UK of course with excellent support

https://www.tvcpreamp.co.uk/wp-conte...En77m7Kp7LWR1s

Nord One Up Ncore NC500 amps, Class D ready for prime time .....

whether the Nord would go with your anthem pre i am not sure , others more technical than i can advise
    1]bel canto EIX/ F5 monoblocks . BC cd2, tannoy eaton legacy 2]bel canto pre 5 ,arcam a85 , black ice modded dac
    modded dac , marantz sa8005, Verity audio Rienzi

Nord will likely be better value for the $. However, PS Audio and Anthem will likely retain their resale value better due to the brand recognition.

The PS Audio M700 (which from the specs appears to be 2 S300’s bridged and configured as monoblocks) is a Stereophile Class A recommended component.

The S300 is based on an older ICEpower module (compared to Nord) but it does have a custom input buffer which may have an impact on sound quality

Quote Originally Posted by thebrieze View Post
    Nord will likely be better value for the $. However, PS Audio and Anthem will likely retain their resale value better due to the brand recognition.

The PS Audio M700 (which from the specs appears to be 2 S300’s bridged and configured as monoblocks) is a Stereophile Class A recommended component.

The S300 is based on an older ICEpower module (compared to Nord) but it does have a custom input buffer which may have an impact on sound quality

I am having a demo of the PS Audio s300 next week, and in talking to a few people on a UK Audiophile FB page, they all agree that this amp will be a better option, considering the speakers I have at the moment. So that is my 99.9% choice now, given I have a limited budget.
    Many thanks for your input

Super Moderator

Peter,

Please let us know how your demo goes. I’d like to hear more about that PS Audio amp.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Allison View Post
    I am at the budget end of the market, and living in the Uk. I am wanting your collective thoughts on 3 amp that are in the running, a class A/B in the form of an Anthem MCA 225 and class D amps from Nord and the other, a PS Audio Stellar 300. In ££ they are £2000 for the Anthem £1200 for the Nord and £1300 for the PS Audio.
    The pre is an Anthem MRX 520 using the pre outs, and the speakers are Amphion Argon1's

many thanks
    Maybe I missed it, What speakers are you using ?
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Super Moderator

The speakers are Amphion Argon1's

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by joeinid; January 13, 2020 at 03:49 PM.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Nord, both the Ncore and PuriFi based, is a much better performing amp than the PS Audio Stellar 300.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Any thoughts on these 3 amps?