Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

LUMIN power switch: do you use it?

What’s the consensus, who keeps their LUMINs on all the time and who turns them off?

The less expensive units (like my U1 Mini) with an internal switching power supply have the power switch on the back of the unit. Should I be worried about wear and tear on the SPS if I turn it off daily?

I ask because I don’t think LUMIN power supplies are UL Listed and I’m not sure I want that powered on 24/7.

Thanks,
    M1k3

Super Moderator

Re: LUMIN power switch: do you use it?

If you aren’t comfortable leaving it on, definitely turn it off. I leave mine on all the time with the display off.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Thanks for the reply Joe. I wouldn’t say I’m uncomfortable per se, just curious if I should be ;-)

The other side of the coin is it is probably more stressful on the internal power supply, the switch, and maybe even the unit itself to have to power up and down daily, and therefore best to leave it on either with the display off or with the Idle Sleep time set in the app.

Cheers,
    M1k3

I never touch the switch on the back of mine for the reasons you listed yourself in post #3.

I have the X1 and leave the power on 24/7, and I have had it for a few years now. Same way with its predecessor, the Lumin S1. My display is always off, except when I use the remote to change tracks.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

I have the A1 and leave it powered up 24/7. The only time I turn it off is during a thunderstorm or if I’m rearranging my equipment.
    Gary
    Main: Lumin A1, Accuphase E-650, Tannoy Canterbury GR, Shunyata, Audience
    Secondary: Lumin M1, Linton Heritage, Shunyata, Audience

I have the A1 and leave it powered up 24/7.

I keep the power switch in the back on all the time but I turn the unit off with the app. I'm guessing it's in standby when that's done.
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by dlb2 View Post
    I keep the power switch in the back on all the time but I turn the unit off with the app. I'm guessing it's in standby when that's done.
    Same here with my T2.
    Boenicke Audio W11 Speakers with SwingBase; MFA Baby Reference V2 Passive Preamp; Lumin T2; Nord One SE UP NC500DM Stereo; SRM Arezzo Turntable; Ortofon 2M Blue; Michael Fidler MM Pro; 2 x REL S/510; Van Damme Blue series/Mark Grant

ATMOS/DTS X 5.1.4: Sony VPL-VW290ES; 103" Screen Excellence Enlightor Neo; Arcam AVR390; Nakamichi AVP1; Sony UBP-X800M2; XTZ Cinema Series: M6, S5, S2; XTZ 12.17 Sub

Quote Originally Posted by M1k3 View Post
    I ask because I don’t think LUMIN power supplies are UL Listed and I’m not sure I want that powered on 24/7.
    The power supply inside U1 MINI conforms to UL60950-1.

Clocks need time to stabilize so it's usually better being left powered on. Use the idle sleep setting.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    The power supply inside U1 MINI conforms to UL60950-1.

Clocks need time to stabilize so it's usually better being left powered on. Use the idle sleep setting.
    Awesome! Thanks Peter. And thanks to everyone who answered. Looks like you all are doing the right thing; and now I am too ;-)

Cheers,
    M1k3

I keep my Lumin X1 and my DAC on 24/7 with display off.

LUMIN / WestminsterLab

I keep the power switch in the back on all the time but I turn the unit off with the app, but forgot to add:
    At the moment I connect an external HDD to my T2 but it's not recognized when waking the T2 from standby, so I have to turn the power off and back on, which can't be good.
    Wondering if the T2 uses the same amount of power in standby and when on?
    If left on I will have to remove the external HDD and connect it when I want to play music.
    I'll have to test it as I'm not sure if the T2 will detect my HDD when connecting it while on?
    Boenicke Audio W11 Speakers with SwingBase; MFA Baby Reference V2 Passive Preamp; Lumin T2; Nord One SE UP NC500DM Stereo; SRM Arezzo Turntable; Ortofon 2M Blue; Michael Fidler MM Pro; 2 x REL S/510; Van Damme Blue series/Mark Grant

ATMOS/DTS X 5.1.4: Sony VPL-VW290ES; 103" Screen Excellence Enlightor Neo; Arcam AVR390; Nakamichi AVP1; Sony UBP-X800M2; XTZ Cinema Series: M6, S5, S2; XTZ 12.17 Sub

Quote Originally Posted by Showroom Dummies View Post
    I keep the power switch in the back on all the time but I turn the unit off with the app, but forgot to add:
    At the moment I connect an external HDD to my T2 but it's not recognized when waking the T2 from standby, so I have to turn the power off and back on, which can't be good.
    If left on I will have to remove the external HDD and connect it when I want to play music.
    I'll have to test it as I'm not sure if the T2 will detect my HDD when connecting it while on?
    I have exactly the same "problem" with my A1, for now the only solution is to turn the A1 on and off.

Quote Originally Posted by Andik777 View Post
    I have exactly the same "problem" with my A1, for now the only solution is to turn the A1 on and off.
    Wonder why the HDD can't be detected?
    It is a pain and constantly turning the Lumin on and off will lessen the lifespan.
    They aren't exactly cheap to replace!

It is a pain and constantly turning the Lumin on and off will lessen the lifespan.
    They aren't exactly cheap to replace!
    I usually listen to Tidal, very rarely I use the external disk, (WD 1Tb formatted and tested in FAT32 and NTFS) We have to wait for the response of dear Peter.

I have that "switch off switch on" problem with my D2, but it happens when it won't play/connect to an internet radio station using the app.
    I wonder why that is? I power cycle the Lumin, it's OK for a few days, then I have to do it again.

We actually tested for this problem report before, but not reproducible with the USB HDD we have.

I know for a fact that some USB HDD like to sleep on their own when left idle for some time. Some of them do not wake up properly with Linux.

Please run the free MinimServer software on a NAS or computer instead, and store the music there instead. This way you won't have USB HDD issue, and you'll get more views and much faster browsing from Lumin app.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Another vote for always on.
    Choosing to “idle sleep” on the app will be equivalent to turn it off on the app?

Also made the Sbooster upgrade to the T2 and never look back
    Sounds great

Quote Originally Posted by gabweb View Post
    Another vote for always on.
    Choosing to “idle sleep” on the app will be equivalent to turn it off on the app?

Also made the Sbooster upgrade to the T2 and never look back
    Sounds great
    Since you use the Sbooster, that too is always on, so I was wondering does the Sbooster get warm? I’m thinking about it for the U1 Mini (even though I’ve only owned it for a few weeks and am quite happy with the stock SMPS [but I’m curious and it’s an affordable upgrade]). But, I read in one of the reviews that it made someone’s Mytek DAC hot. Does it make your T2 hot? My U1 mini barely gets warm, and heat is the enemy in my small listening room, especially in the summer.

Cheers,
    M1k3

No, neither the Sbooster nor the T2 get warm.
    Even they stay on 24/7. As I mentioned, T2 goes “idle sleep” when not in use...
    Also after a full day of operation, so don’t worry about the temperature
    And most important, it improves the sound as other user described.
    A better sounds with wider and 3D soundstage and deeper bass.

Regretfully I´m suffering the same problem with my A1...

I switch it off using the App but later when I again turn it to on the HDD is not recognized.

It forces me to switch it on and off a lot of times or maybe to connect and disconnect the HDD on the rear of the A1 waiting for it to be recognized.

Is there any way to fix this problem..?

It is really uncomfortable to stay switching on and off and connecting/disconnecting the HDD again and again.

Many thanks.
    McIntosh C302 + C2600 - Lumin A1 - Lenco L75 - Marantz SR6007 - Paradigm S6 - Gaia II - Chord Epic Twin Speaker Cable + Jumpers - Bada LB5500

The L1 is a great solution; plug n play. Yes, a bit pricey for a HD but the ease of use is terrific.

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

For anyone running into issues with a USB drive going to sleep when the Lumin goes to sleep, I guess one possible option is to insert between an externally powered USB hub that does not power-down or suspend connected devices when the host computer (i.e. the Lumin) is sleeping. I have not tried this but it might work.
    Neko Audio
    Authorized Dealer: AC Infinity, APC, Audeze, Bryston, Devialet, Elite HTS, Fortress Seating, JMF Audio, JVC, Kaleidescape, LG, LUMIN, Magico, Ortofon, RME, Samsung, Soulution, STAX, Trinnov, Vivid Audio, Weiss & more.

My D1 often used to lose its connection to my external drive until I finally gave up. I never thought to power it off and on each time. I had assumed that it was down to the limited power available from the USB port to power a mechanical drive. I recently replaced the drive with a Seagate SSD and no longer experience this issue.
    Preamp: Aesthetix Calypso Signature
    Power Amp: Aesthetix Atlas Signature
    DAC/CDP: Aesthetix Romulus Signature
    Phono: Aesthetix Rhea Signature
    TT: Kuzma Stabi Ref 2, Kuzma 4Point 11, Hana ML
    TW Acustic Raven One, Raven 10.5, Shelter 5000
    Speakers: Acapella High Violin MkIII

Quote Originally Posted by myrman View Post
    My D1 often used to lose its connection to my external drive until I finally gave up. I never thought to power it off and on each time. I had assumed that it was down to the limited power available from the USB port to power a mechanical drive. I recently replaced the drive with a Seagate SSD and no longer experience this issue.
    That's nice to know but I've only recently bought two 4TB external HDDs.
    I am slowly putting my music onto a Nas but that will take years to complete.
    One question: If you didn't power it on and off what did you do?

I always power mine off using the app, never had any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a D2 and the L1 for storage. I turn the D2 off mainly because I don't us it often. The Lumin L1 storage unit is beside my computer in another room. I noticed it gets warm just sitting turned off with the button. I figured it is better to disconnect the power plug from the rear. I have also noticed the D2 will cut off on its own. You have to turn it off then back on to use. Is the unit going in stand-by or turning off? I never tried to turn it on with the app.
    Audio Research Ref 5 SE
    Pass Labs XA100.5
    Clearaudio Innovation Wood, Clearaudio Universal 12" arm
    Benz Micro Glider SL
    Fosgate Signature V2 Tube Phono
    Lumin D2,
    Sonus Faber Amati Homage Anniverario
    JL Audio e12 subs
    Shunyata Denali 6000T
    Sunyata Denali 2000
    Shunyata Alpha HC Power cables
    Shunyata Anaconda Speaker cable
    Shunyata Python Innerconnects
    Clearaudio Double Matrix Sonic Record Cleaner

My set up is a WD hard drive, its external switching power supply plugged into a Richard Gray's 400 power conditioner, with a USB cable from the HDD plugged into a Roon Nucleus+ (which is powered by a Tedde Pardo linear power supply); both the Nucleus+ and my Lumin T2 are connected to my Luxul AV Ethernet switch. All signal cabling is Wireworld "Level 8" and all power cabling is Shunyata Venom; the Tedde Pardo and the T2 are plugging into a Shunyata Denali 6000/S. With this configuration, I was trying to accomplish two things: (1) a very low level of signal degradation from the output of the hard drive into the T2 and (2) a seamless sense of operation, regardless of the sourcing of the digital audio bitstream. Whether I have done a good job of the first objective is up to the listener (I am certainly content). As for the second, other than an initial brief delay from the "spinning up" of the hard drive, the speed of sourcing is indistinguishable between Tidal and it. Moreover, with the exception of MQA-encoded albums, I am unable to detect any difference in how the two sound. Let me add that I don't know to what extent the Roon software has contributed to the ideal manner in which these components work together, but -- taken as a whole, I wouldn't think of changing anything (except, of course, upgrading some day to a Lumin X1). Oh, I leave the WD hard drive, the T2, the Nucleus+ and Tedde Pardo, and the Luxul AV Ethernet switch all on always. As others have mentioned, the hard drive and the T2 automatically turn off (more likely, go to standby) when not in use for a short period.
    Last edited by AVphile; January 14, 2020 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Adding a related question
    Jonathan

Age is a mental construct.

System: Theta Casablanca V preamp/processor/DAC; Wadia 8 transport; Wadia 2000 DAC; Theta Compli SACD transport; Lumin T2 streamer/DAC; Roon Nucleus+; Luxul AGS-1024 switch; SOTA Sapphire turntable w/Premier FT3 arm & Hana SL cartridge; PS Audio Stellar phono preamp; SweetVinyl SC-2 noise/click remover; Oppo 203 4K player; Magnum Dynalab FT-101A tuner; McIntosh MC611 mono amplifiers (3); Revel Ultima Studio/ Voice/Embrace speakers (L/C/R and sides); Arendal 1723 speakers (surrounds); SVS SB-16 (2) and 3000 Micro (2) subwoofers; Stax SR-L300 headphones; TeddyPardo 19/3 linear power supply; Richard Gray's Substation; Shunyata 6000/S, 2000/T (2), Venom PS10, Hydra (2), and Defender (2) power conditioners; Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables; Audioquest, Cardas, Kimber Kable, MIT, and Wireworld interconnects; Cullen, and Shunyata power cords.

JVC RS 3100 projector; MadVR Envy Extreme II video processor.

Please use the free MinimServer instead of direct USB HDD connection (if not using Roon).
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    Please use the free MinimServer instead of direct USB HDD connection (if not using Roon).
    I've been checking the website Minimserver and it indicates that you must have your computer working each time you need to hear the music stored in your HDD.

So it is not practica in this way.

I want to listen my music stored in my HDD connected in my Lumin without any computer or notebook.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk
    McIntosh C302 + C2600 - Lumin A1 - Lenco L75 - Marantz SR6007 - Paradigm S6 - Gaia II - Chord Epic Twin Speaker Cable + Jumpers - Bada LB5500

Quote Originally Posted by Fer1000 View Post
    I've been checking the website Minimserver and it indicates that you must have your computer working each time you need to hear the music stored in your HDD.

So it is not practica in this way.

I want to listen my music stored in my HDD connected in my Lumin without any computer or notebook.

Instead of a computer, you need a Nas, but as I have found, making sure the metadata is correct on each album takes ages, which is why I still connect an external HDD for the time being.

Instead of a computer, you need a Nas.
    Yes yes you are right but I don't have any NAS just a regular USB HDD and I want to you use it in my Lumin A1 without the problems already mentioned.

Many thanks

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

LUMIN power switch: do you use it?