What was your first high-end component ever? - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What was your first high-end component ever?

RGR model 5 power amp, citation 25 pre, Kef R105/3 speakers(speakers I kept 25 years). I went thru multiple combo's of amps and pre's before finding a Krell kav 300il really pulled the sound together.
    Meridian dsp8000 se upgrade, meridian 200 zone controller, VA Beethovens, , Hegel h360, rega jupiter, roon nucleus, revox tuner.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by puroagave View Post
    Magnepan IIc, ca 1986 or thereabouts. Driven by a Bryston 3B and Kinergetics KDC-20 CDP, the one with a built in volume control--cutting edge digital for the day until the Cal Audio Labs tubed CD player debuted a few months later.
    Mine was the predecessor to the Maggie II, the Maggie 2167-F (glad they changed the names of their models) bought almost a decade earlier. I probably still had my big Pioneer receiver and Dual turntable with Shure cartridge. The Maggies replaced my old AR-5 speakers bought when I first came to grad school in California (Go Bears!) in the late '60's.

The Maggies lasted until the end of 1979, when our daughter who was not quite a year old was beginning to learn to walk. One day, I heard a big crash. Our daughter had been trying to stand up using one of the panels of the Maggies for support and instead pulled it down. Fortunately, neither she (who is now 40) nor the Maggie were any the worse for wear. They were in the classifieds a couple of days later (remember those?) and replaced by some Thiels which had a much lower center of gravity.

Larry
    Analog-VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono,2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 Herron VTPH-2A&BottleheadPhonoPre,
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacMicroModel2
    Dig Play-Lampi Pacific, mch NADAC Roon/HQPlayer,Oppo105
    Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-Symmetrical Power&ArtKelmGroundOneIsoTrans,AudioDiskVinylClean er,AirTightRecordFlattener, Scott Rust cables
    Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs ,50TBripped files

Post Thanks / Like

Not exactly "high end" but I owned a 35 wpc Sylvania receiver and 2, 8" Sylvania "air suspension" speakers. A couple years later my parents purchased a 50 wpc Sylvania receiver and 2, 10" Sylvania "air suspension" speakers, for a HS graduation present. This was circa 1968.

Ten years later, after my wife and I were married, we purchased a much more high end system...Sansui AU 20000, 170 wpc integrated amp, 6-JBL L166 Horizon speakers (4- upstairs and 2-downstairs), manual DD Sansui TT with Stanton cartridge, Fisher cassette deck, Kenwood receiver, ADC programmable TT, Gerard click and pop remover, dbx 128 expander/compresser, Pioneer reel to reel tape machine.

Post Thanks / Like

There's some great systems being spoken about here. Small or large, and some maybe not rated as high end now, but all of us had a beginning - and at the time they were GREAT. Back in the day I had a Sony Walkman and thought I'd arrived...

Keep the systems coming ...

Post Thanks / Like

My first higher end unit was Kenwood KA-3300D. Kenwood occasionally put out higher end gear, just to show they could, the 3300 series was such a series with matching tuner (only FM) and CDP, I acquired all 3 eventually. To my knowledge this KA-3300 was the first integrated amp to feature a built in DAC, circa late 80's.

Prior to that my financial situation kept me to only receivers.

With the 3300 series I bought Infinity Kappa 7's.

I did keep that for some years but the love of hi fi and having some money, or, good credit, led me to try different avenues of hi fi down the road.

It all started when the DP-3300 CDP broke and no parts to fix it. I bought an Arcam Alpha 9 CDP. Then my excuse was wanting an amp with remote, this led to Krell integrated and CDP, and upgreaded within. A 180 to Conrad Johnson separates, I had an EAD transport and Audio Note DAC, a CJ DAC, T+A CDP, Levinson #512 SACD.

I tried some thing after CJ, Threshold, Audio by Van Alstine, ended up with Pass separates, then eventually to where I'm at now which has me very satisfied. It is worth noting I kept a Coda CSX that I rotated in and out of my Pass set up.

After the Kappa 7's I had Dynaudio Contour T's center and mains, forget the exact model. Then Revel F52's and now my JBL. Somewhere in there I had Zu Audio, it was back with the CJ amps, for a short.

I've had other things in my system to try but this is long enough
    Aurender ACS10 w/AQ Diamond,
    Mark Levinson #526 & 532h, JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    All Clarus Crimson cabling, AC to binding post. Surgex
    HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Post Thanks / Like

I got a Magnavox suitcase stereo recorder player with speakers in 1962. It saw me through college. A friend had a component system he bought overseas while in the Navy. University bookshelf speakers, Teac reel to reel and Sansui receiver. Even at that humble level I could easily tell it was much better than my suitcase setup.
    So, I then bought a used Eico tube integrated, Garrard 40B turntable, Shure cartridge and a pair of Utah co-ax speakers in boxes I built. Exposure to better systems resulted in following setups being better.
    Main System: Analog - Linn LP12, Origin Live DC motor and Controller, SME V arm, Benz Ruby H 2 cartridge, Wright Sound preamp. Digital - Intel NUC I-7, 16 gig ram, Jriver media center 24, Wyrd4 Sound 2V2 SE Dac, Fathom Hard Drives.
    H-Cat Version 9 preamp, ARC Reference 75 amp, Custom line source speakers - 10 SB Acoustics midwoofers, 10 Fountek ribbon tweeters. JL Audio Fathom f112 Subs
    Wire - T G Audio, Siltech, Audioquest, Teo, Lewis silver foil.

Post Thanks / Like

I traded in a pair of Bose 901 Series II for a pair of Dahlquist DQ-10's and a Ampzilla amp.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata

Post Thanks / Like

Apogee - Duetta Signature Loudspeakers (circa 1989)

I really liked those speakers and it took 20+ years to find something to replace them with when I did let go of them.

While not the hardest Apogee load to drive, they tended to eat many amplifiers alive back then and until I could afford an equivalent amplifier, I (ab)used an Adcom 555 (thank you Nelson Pass) to drive them.
    Anthony

Front End:
    MSB Reference DAC/MSB Reference Transport/Femto 33 Clock, Magnum Dynalab MD107T, Aiwa AD-F990
    Amplification: Dan D'Agostino Momentum HD Preamplifier & Momentum M400 Monoblocks, Crown XLS 2502 (x3) (subwoofers)
    Speakers: Scaena La Maitresse Ultime Loudspeaker System
    Cables: Shunyata Aeros Aurora-SP, Shunyata Aeros Aurora-IC, Jungson Golden Dragon
    Power: GigaWatt PC-4 EVO+, Shunyata King Cobra CX, Jungson Pure Power, JPS Labs AC+, Transparent HPPC
    Miscellaneous: ​Bohmer/Legacy Audio Wavelet DSP/Room Correction

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by laynesaddiction View Post
    Apogee - Duetta Signature Loudspeakers (circa 1989)

I really liked those speakers and it took 20+ years to find something to replace them with when I did let go of them.

While not the hardest Apogee load to drive, they tended to eat many amplifiers alive back then and until I could afford an equivalent amplifier, I (ab)used an Adcom 555 (thank you Nelson Pass) to drive them.
    I owned Duetta Sigs around the same time. I started with Rowland Research Model 3s (great amps) and moved the up the Krell range starting with a KSA-80B.
    Linn Kilmax LP12 | Channel D | Jadis | Denafrips | Innuos | Klipsch Cornwall IV | Falcon LS3/5a | McCollum ESL 57

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    My first "High End" piece was a Nakamichi deck, and then soon followed by KEF 104aB speakers, back in the '70s.
    Nice, back in the 70s - very nice!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast