Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Audioshark

Re: Magico A5 Official Release

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

It's a good thing they let me audition A3's. I bought them.
    Sources: Naim ND555/555PS | Roon Nucleus | Naim Soltstice Special Edition turntable and phono stage
    Amplification: Naim 552/500DR
    Interconnects: Ansuz/Chord Music/Naim SuperLumina
    AC Power: Ansuz C2
    Speakers: Magico S5MkII

Audioshark

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Finland, that´s somewhere in Northern Europe

Quite a beast.

Looks beastly.

I stopped by the Magico factory today. I got a chance to take photos of an early A5 (probably the same one that is in Mike's photo—ignore any gap you see around the drivers as the final enclosures will have tight tolerances just like the other A-series speakers), and to hear the final product in their custom built listening room with MSB and CH Precision electronics.

My expectation was that the A5 would be a larger version of the A3, with lower bass extension due to the additional woofer. But that's absolutely not what it was. Here's what my initial thoughts were after hearing the A5, as compared to what I expected from an A-series speaker:

• The midrange is more refined with better resolution of subtle details.
    • The bass sounds effortless. It's exceptionally tight and clean. The kind of quality you expect from a top-line subwoofer, but already perfectly integrated.
    • The soundstage and placement of instruments is better resolved.

Alon explained that the drivers are constructed from technology taken from their flagship speaker, which is why there is such a noticeable improvement over the A3. There is also better dispersion due to the 5" midrange, and upgrades to the crossover, but in my opinion it's probably the new driver construction that makes the biggest difference.

Unfortunately this also means you cannot listen to an A3 and then just think the A5 provides a bass upgrade. You will need to hear the A5 to understand the difference. I think this is the new speaker to beat at the $20k price range.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Neko Audio
    Authorized Dealer: AC Infinity, APC, Audeze, Bryston, Devialet, Elite HTS, Fortress Seating, JMF Audio, JVC, Kaleidescape, LG, LUMIN, Magico, Ortofon, RME, Samsung, Soulution, STAX, Trinnov, Vivid Audio, Weiss & more.

Audioshark

Fantastic feedback. Glad I ordered three pairs to start. If it sells even half as good as the A3’s, look out! My guess is it will be the biggest selling Magico speaker of all time.

D a m n. I wish I needed a new speaker. Get Magico to redesign the S7 (with the rounded top like S5), and I am ready.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

What subs are those sitting in the background? do not look like A-sub at all?

Quote Originally Posted by klipschman70 View Post
    What subs are those sitting in the background? do not look like A-sub at all?
    Those should be Q-SUBs.
    Neko Audio
    Authorized Dealer: AC Infinity, APC, Audeze, Bryston, Devialet, Elite HTS, Fortress Seating, JMF Audio, JVC, Kaleidescape, LG, LUMIN, Magico, Ortofon, RME, Samsung, Soulution, STAX, Trinnov, Vivid Audio, Weiss & more.

Audioshark

https://www.soundstageglobal.com/ind...a5-loudspeaker

Banned

Awesome article!!! The A5 is one good speaker - at least from its specs and the article.

The aluminum-honeycomb core is public. It is super-stiff despite having so little mass—I have one of the previous generation foam core cones to compare against, and while you can bend the foam core cone a tiny bit by hand, I couldn't bend the aluminum-honeycomb core cone at all.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Neko Audio

Quote Originally Posted by NekoAudio View Post
    The aluminum-honeycomb core is public. It is super-stiff despite having so little mass—I have one of the previous generation foam core cones to compare against, and while you can bend the foam core cone a tiny bit by hand, I couldn't bend the aluminum-honeycomb core cone at all.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken. But, is this new driver on the A5 technically superior to the midrange on a M series speaker?

I wouldn't think so, but, from your comments I'm confused.

Also a couple of questions for the few Magico dealers on this thread/forum.

1.) Will the A5 shipped box or crated?

2.) Does Magico have an official trade in/up program ala Wilson Certified Authentic?

Is my understanding that Magico like all vendors tries out various amps and components with their gear.

But, why oh why SR stuff? Doesn't seem like they align with Magico's design goals... Objectivity and not subjective tweaks.

Power cords with subjective tuning plugs on them, a Power Conditioner with an Electromagnetic Cell? (WTF is that)

Anyways sorry for the rant.

Would hope they still use MIT and probably sound amazing with Shunyata and Audioquest's flagship cables and power products too.

Quote Originally Posted by mdp632 View Post
    Would hope they still use MIT and probably sound amazing with Shunyata and Audioquest's flagship cables and power products too.
    I know my S5 MkII speakers sound so good with Shunyata cables that I have zero desire to even think about different cables.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Audioshark

Please correct me if I'm mistaken. But, is this new driver on the A5 technically superior to the midrange on a M series speaker?

I wouldn't think so, but, from your comments I'm confused.

Also a couple of questions for the few Magico dealers on this thread/forum.

1.) Will the A5 shipped box or crated?

2.) Does Magico have an official trade in/up program ala Wilson Certified Authentic?

Is my understanding that Magico like all vendors tries out various amps and components with their gear.

But, why oh why SR stuff? Doesn't seem like they align with Magico's design goals... Objectivity and not subjective tweaks.

Power cords with subjective tuning plugs on them, a Power Conditioner with an Electromagnetic Cell? (WTF is that)

Probably cardboard boxes. But it remains to be seen. We don’t know yet.

Trade up programs can be done with the dealer. Some do (like me), some don’t.

Do not put any stake in what electronics or cables magico is using in the factory. They have a million amps and cables they try and play with. Find what works best for you. That’s all that matters.

LOL, MIT?? do you mean these cable with big network (EQ?) boxes in the signal path

Quote Originally Posted by LVB View Post
    LOL, MIT?? do you mean these cable with big network (EQ?) boxes in the signal path
    As per their patent ; nothing in the signal path.

Bruce Brisson’s resume and body of work speaks for itself.

Sorry they don’t work in your system.

Didn’t want to derail thread but , back to the A5.

A speaker driver consists more than just the cone or diaphragm, including the magnet, voice coil, spider, basket, etc. The aluminum-honeycomb cone is new and improved, however the rest of the driver's component quality still plays a large part. Even using the same cone, there will be significant differences in sound quality based on the design and quality of the driver as a whole.

With the A5 entering the Magico lineup, there is still very good reason to want a S-series or M-series speaker over the A5.
    Neko Audio

Quote Originally Posted by NekoAudio View Post
    A speaker driver consists more than just the cone or diaphragm, including the magnet, voice coil, spider, basket, etc. The aluminum-honeycomb cone is new and improved, however the rest of the driver's component quality still plays a large part. Even using the same cone, there will be significant differences in sound quality based on the design and quality of the driver as a whole.

With the A5 entering the Magico lineup, there is still very good reason to want a S-series or M-series speaker over the A5.

Thank you. I’m a fan of two way designs so , hoping for an M1.

Audioshark

Thank you. I’m a fan of two way designs so , hoping for an M1.
    I’m hoping if/when this mysterious M1 comes out, people will buy the heck out of it, because it’s all I’ve heard for the past 3 years is M1, M1, M1.

Do people want to actually buy it or just to see and hear it at a show? That’s what I’m wondering.

As per their patent ; nothing in the signal path.

Bruce Brisson’s resume and body of work speaks for itself.

Sorry they don’t work in your system.

I didn't say they do not work in my system, I like MIT for their dimensionality, but they are not the most transparent cables on the market. FWIW, SR 'shpil' is slimier to MIT, "nothing in the signal path". Never had these in my system, so I have no opinion on their sound.

Audioshark

I didn't say they do not work in my system, I like MIT for their dimensionality, but they are not the most transparent cables on the market. FWIW, SR 'shpil' is slimier to MIT, "nothing in the signal path". Never had these in my system, so I have no opinion on their sound.
    FWIW, I love the MIT Evo 2C3D cables on our Magico’s. A great match.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    FWIW, I love the MIT Evo 2C3D cables on our Magico’s. A great match.

And Magico showed with MIT for years, they are unmatched at what they do well.

Fair enough. Cables are very system dependent and System synergy is very subjective.

To that end, I have heard high resolution systems wired with Mit cabling. Many high resolving systems here are wired with Mit and transparent cabling.

But again YMMV.

We will be showing the A5 at the Montreal show, last weekend in March.

Wonder if this will be another world debut for us with Magico.

Hopefully they come a little earlier than the M2's. That debut was on a brand spanking new pair with zero hours, Yikes. Think John Atkinson mentions that in his Stereophile review.

Acoustical Systems, AMG, Aqua Acoustic Quality, Audeze, Audio Desk, Audible illusions, Audioquest, Aurender, Bryston, CH Precision, Chord Electronics, Constellation Audio, Dynaudiol, Fyne Audio, Grado labs, Ikeda, JL Audio, Kondo, Kronos, Kubala Sosna, Lumin, Luxman, Lyra, Magico, Nordost, PS Audio, Roon, Shunyata, SME, Sugden, Tenor, Tannoy, Vertere, VPI and ZYX.

www.audiobymarkjones.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Jones View Post
    We will be showing the A5 at the Montreal show, last weekend in March.

Wonder if this will be another world debut for us with Magico.

Hopefully they come a little earlier than the M2's. That debut was on a brand spanking new pair with zero hours, Yikes. Think John Atkinson mentions that in his Stereophile review.
    You can send them over here first, Mark, and I will break them in for you!

LUMIN U1 Mini, Chord DAVE, Chord MScaler, SR Galileo BNCs, Wireworld Starlight Cat 8, AQ Cinnamon Cat 6 Synergistic Research Atmosphere X Ethernet CAT6, Synergistic Research Galileo UEF Blue Fuse Treated SC, SR L4IC, Shunyata Sigma NR PCs, Shunyata Denali 6000S v2 conditioner, Shunyata EF PC, Magico S3Mk2, Gryphon Diablo 300, Furutech GTX & Oyaide SWO outlets driven by dedicated 30A homerun 10gauge AC lines wired according to MSB Technologies best practices for wiring your house for best power: http://www.msbtechnology.com/faq/how...or-good-power/.

I am all about the A5, I figure there's more chance I will get a second hand A3 with that speaker coming on line. A5 will be too big for my room.
    Amplification : Modwright LS300 - Atma-Sphere "Class D" monoblocks
    Digital : MSB Premier DAC+Digital Director, Oppo 203, Sonos Port (W4S mod)
    Analog : Technics SL1200G, Boulder 508
    Speakers : Daedalus Audio Muse Studio
    Headphone : BHSE + Voce

Quote Originally Posted by Bones13 View Post
    I am all about the A5, I figure there's more chance I will get a second hand A3 with that speaker coming on line. A5 will be too big for my room.
    Good strategy! If I were you I'd be in touch with a dealer who moves a fair bit of Magico. They are likely to have a trade-in just like that in the works. A5 is too big for our room too; thus, no real A5 envy just 7 months after taking delivery of our A3's.
    Sources: Naim ND555/555PS | Roon Nucleus | Naim Soltstice Special Edition turntable and phono stage
    Amplification: Naim 552/500DR
    Interconnects: Ansuz/Chord Music/Naim SuperLumina
    AC Power: Ansuz C2
    Speakers: Magico S5MkII

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Magico A5 Official Release