Avalon Acoustics - Are they still relevant/competitive ? - Page 4
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Avalon Acoustics - Are they still relevant/competitive ?

Yes, they absolutely are.

I heard the Avalon Saga's at the HK hifi show in 2017 and 2018. They were the best sound of any system or speaker at the show.
    Give me these over a Wilson Alexx or Magico M6 if you had the room for the speakers to breath.

Bass depth to die for, a coherence and ease of listening that was awesome. This was with a Project Signature 12 front end - It would only get better with a better source. build quality was to die for.

Source: TW Raven AC-3 - Thales Simplicity II, Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,Technics SL-1000MK3D,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas SL Etna SL, Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: TW Acustik phono, Accuphase C-37
    EQ: ​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: conrad johnson GAT,
    Amps: conrad johnson teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum S250
    Speakers: Wilson Maxx3

2. Likes puroagave, CharlesL, Kuoppis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Avalons have never been made of wood. They have always been made from MDF - like 99% of speakers.

IMO there are several problems with the brand.

1. Too long product life cycles. There are products in their lineup that are 15+ years old. That is too long. There is 'long' lifecycle and 'too long' - Avalon is the latter.

2. Cost. They simply cost too much. There is the saying that the second hand market verifies the real value of the product. Avalons commonly trade at 25% of MSRP.

3. Various quality problems throughout the years. Many Avalon speakers suffered veneer quality problems (I have personally seen two Isis pairs that started showing serious veneer quality issues in their 3rd or 4th year of ownership - that is 2 out of 3 (!) pairs I have seen; talk about 66% failure rate !). Then there has been that infameous 'black goo dropping from my speaker via the bass reflex port' problem, which was the rubber / dampening compound used deteriorating and turning into liquid and dripping from a speaker.

That is too bad IMO, as I used to have the Avalon Eidolon Vision back in 2005 and though they were sounding great (when driven by tube amps).
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Vitus SM-103 / MSB M202
    Digital: Lampi Pacific + Lampi DSD Komputer
    Cables: AQ WEL Signature IC / Shunyata Anaconda Z-Tron SC / AQ Hurricane PCs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
    Avalons have never been made of wood. They have always been made from MDF - like 99% of speakers.

IMO there are several problems with the brand.

1. Too long product life cycles. There are products in their lineup that are 15+ years old. That is too long. There is 'long' lifecycle and 'too long' - Avalon is the latter.

2. Cost. They simply cost too much. There is the saying that the second hand market verifies the real value of the product. Avalons commonly trade at 25% of MSRP.

3. Various quality problems throughout the years. Many Avalon speakers suffered veneer quality problems (I have personally seen two Isis pairs that started showing serious veneer quality issues in their 3rd or 4th year of ownership - that is 2 out of 3 (!) pairs I have seen; talk about 66% failure rate !). Then there has been that infameous 'black goo dropping from my speaker via the bass reflex port' problem, which was the rubber / dampening compound used deteriorating and turning into liquid and dripping from a speaker.

That is too bad IMO, as I used to have the Avalon Eidolon Vision back in 2005 and though they were sounding great (when driven by tube amps).

Point 2 is very important to me at least. Regarding the trade in or used market. Very hard to sell a product that nobody wants.

My curiosity is of this new line called their Precision Monitor series.

Specially, I heard Keith O. Johnson of Reference Recordings fame amongst others in the industry.

Has had a hand in some design of them as well as the Avalon Aurora (new speaker).

But, in the states; not much chatter about Avalon even though they are a domestic brand.

They seem more popular in Asia; as of one of the members mentioned above.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4