Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Avalon Acoustics - Are they still relevant/competitive ?

We don't hear or read much about this brand anymore. Especially in North America.

It looks they are still in business and releasing new models.

However, they don't have the dealer network and marketing behind them like Magico and Wilson as an example.

That doesn't mean that Avalon doesn't make a good product.

I also hear that Avalon has a much larger presence and does quite well in the Asian market.

Thoughts or comments?

Re: Avalon Acoustics - Are they still relevant/competitive ?

Wasn’t the late Charlie Hansen of Ayre-fame one of the founders?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post

That I'm not sure of. Although both companies are from Colorado so, perhaps that is the connection.

Audioshark

A dealer friend in Canada brought them in. Said they were trying to rekindle an old flame. After break in, they got rid of them all. Said they were not great.

They reached out to me a few weeks ago and were quite determined to make me a dealer. I politely told them “no thanks”.

To be fair, I haven’t given them much of a listen lately.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    A dealer friend in Canada brought them in. Said they were trying to rekindle an old flame. After break in, they got rid of them all. Said they were not great.

They reached out to me a few weeks ago and were quite determined to make me a dealer. I politely told them “no thanks”.

To be fair, I haven’t given them much of a listen lately.

Thanks Mike. Yes, it seems that the competition at Avalon's price points are far greater than it was years ago.

Magico specifically, seems to have every price point covered in the high end dynamic driver loudspeaker market now with the introduction of the A series.

I heard the Saga once a few years ago at relatively local dealer who carried Avalon along with Magico.

I remember been blow away by the Avalon at that time.

Building a six figure speaker (Avalon Saga MSRP) out of wood in 2019 I don't think is appealing. Especially, when the competition is using aluminum and now carbon fiber.

Needless to say I haven't been there in years but, a quick look on that dealer's website and Nope; no more Avalons.

Despite all that, I did like their use of Accuton drivers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Quote Originally Posted by mdp632 View Post
    Building a six figure speaker (Avalon Saga MSRP) out of wood in 2019 I don't think is appealing. Especially, when the competition is using aluminum and now carbon fiber.
    I don't see that wood can be a problem. Many of the speakers that I heard made with strange materials also sounded ... strange!
    The Saga seems to sound pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sCpRE5uHSA

But, as always, the Avalon must be very ugly because I always see them with their "burka"

Quote Originally Posted by Spock View Post
    I don't see that wood can be a problem. Many of the speakers that I heard made with strange materials also sounded ... strange!
    The Saga seems to sound pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sCpRE5uHSA

But, as always, the Avalon must be very ugly because I always see them with their "burka"

Sure, they sound good. A speaker is the sum of all their parts that make up the sound.

But, I was just referring to their competitors that place at similar MSRP are using more advance cabinet materials.

You can only make wood so strong etc...

I'm not a Magico owner nor fanboy but, they started out with wood, then aluminum and now on the high end M series Carbon Fiber.

The stiffer the cabinet for the drivers the better.

Hell there is even a company that makes speakers out of granite. But, I can't recall their name.

Sure, they sound good. A speaker is the sum of all their parts that make up the sound.

But, I was just referring to their competitors that place at similar MSRP are using more advance cabinet materials.

I'm not a Magico owner nor fanboy but, they started out with wood, then aluminum and now on the high end M series Carbon Fiber.

Hell there is even a company that makes speakers out of granite. But, I can't recall their name.

While the speakers in our main system aren't made out of wood, there are modern speaker manufacturers that use wood, like Boenicke.
    Some of their transducers sound mighty fine to my ears.
    I wouldn't discard wood as speaker material.
    Vivid Audio - Burmester - Hegel - Marantz - Oppo - Pioneer 60" - Wireworld

There are no bad materials, only bad applications of materials.

Quote Originally Posted by bart View Post
    While the speakers in our main system aren't made out of wood, there are modern speaker manufacturers that use wood, like Boenicke.
    Some of their transducers sound mighty fine to my ears.
    I wouldn't discard wood as speaker material.
    +1 Boenicke speakers sounded incredible to me and have great value for the money. They easily kicked the ass of MANY fan favorite,
    sicophant-followed high priced favorites I heard in Munich.

Don't ever discount wood as a material, only those who don't know what the frack they are doing with it .

Same statement for various types of veneers and stone.

Daedalus (Lou): knows that he is doing with high-quality, beautifully curated wood...there's another for the list!
    Legacy Audio Valor+Wavelet v2, Esoteric S-02 Amps HDPlex 300W, RevAudio Labs DC Umbilical, Esoteric Grandioso P1, P1PSU & dual D1 DACs, Cybershaft Prem Ltd OP21A 10 MHz Clock, Esoteric C-02X, Shunyata Everest 8000 & Altaira SG-NR hubs, Sigma SGC/CGC ground cables, VTX-Ag ground tails, AfterBurner8 duplexes, CSP Inc Q4B, S2B IEC plates, Shunyata Omega CLOCK-50 cables, Tubulus Concentus HDMI, Elrod Master Series Diamond SE & Masters Series Gold Power cords and Statement Gold XLRs, Diamond XLRs & Master Series Diamond XLRs, Shunyata OMEGA QR-s power cable, Anaconda Z-tron XLR, Elrod Statement Gold speaker cables, Adona Zero GX3, GX2, GX racks, Composite Audio CF-2010, Townshend Audio Podiums, HRS DPX Damping Plates, Stillpoints Ultra SS w/Ultra Bases, pArtScience 64-well, 2D QRD 3-inch SpaceArray Diffusors

Travel/Rip: Apple MacBook Pro 16” 2023 M2 Max, 12-core CPU, 38-core GPU, 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD for Audirvana+ v3, iTunes, REW Audio Analyzer, dbPowerAmp, DVD Audio Extractor

started out with wood, then aluminum and now on the high end M series Carbon Fiber.

You have confused advertising/marketing with engineering science.

Nevermind it's "all subjective", whereas cabinet materials are objective facts. If it's the former, then the only thing that matters is how Avalons, or ______, sounds to you. Not materials, price, looks, popularity, street cred, etc, etc....right??
    Maybe give them a listen and see...excuse me, hear what they can do.

cheers,

AJ

Audioshark

I remember this same conversation around paper drivers Vs new materials.

Thank God no one is longing for the days of metal dome tweeters!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Based on my understanding Beryllium is a metal. Aren’t companies like Magico, Focal and TAD still propagating Beryllium tweeters? Also, Giya use other metal and Harbeth aluminum tweeters.

Guess we’re not completely over that trend yet...

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Properties like stiffness which can be good for things that you want radiating sound, like drivers, may not be what you want for things that you don't want radiating sound. Like cabinets. Engineering 101, the opposite of Marketing 101.
    If sound is ones number 1 priority, I'd suggest giving Avalons or _____ or Zu, etc a listen.
    If it's flavor of the minute popularity, street cred, etc, etc., maybe do a poll.

cheers,

AJ

Based on my understanding Beryllium is a metal. Aren’t companies like Magico, Focal and TAD still propagating Beryllium tweeters? Also, Giya use other metal and Harbeth aluminum tweeters.

TAD is definitely still using Beryllium in their concentric driver for the R1 MK2 & MK3 and the CR-1. Don't know about the line-up below the CR-1 but the top speakers
    still employ TAD's one of a kind vapor-deposition technology to leverage beryllium with harsh sonic side effects of ways of constructing beryllium drivers. Yes, it is a metal
    and we are definitely not over the trend. Properly matched cable and power for the TAD R1 MK2 when I had them never exposed any harshness in that driver at all. To me,
    Be and other metals are no different than use of diamond or other super-hard substances,....if you design and build with it properly, you'll get good results, perhaps an overly
    simplistic viewpoint on my part...
    Legacy Audio Valor+Wavelet v2, Esoteric S-02 Amps HDPlex 300W, RevAudio Labs DC Umbilical, Esoteric Grandioso P1, P1PSU & dual D1 DACs, Cybershaft Prem Ltd OP21A 10 MHz Clock, Esoteric C-02X, Shunyata Everest 8000 & Altaira SG-NR hubs, Sigma SGC/CGC ground cables, VTX-Ag ground tails, AfterBurner8 duplexes, CSP Inc Q4B, S2B IEC plates, Shunyata Omega CLOCK-50 cables, Tubulus Concentus HDMI, Elrod Master Series Diamond SE & Masters Series Gold Power cords and Statement Gold XLRs, Diamond XLRs & Master Series Diamond XLRs, Shunyata OMEGA QR-s power cable, Anaconda Z-tron XLR, Elrod Statement Gold speaker cables, Adona Zero GX3, GX2, GX racks, Composite Audio CF-2010, Townshend Audio Podiums, HRS DPX Damping Plates, Stillpoints Ultra SS w/Ultra Bases, pArtScience 64-well, 2D QRD 3-inch SpaceArray Diffusors

Travel/Rip: Apple MacBook Pro 16” 2023 M2 Max, 12-core CPU, 38-core GPU, 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD for Audirvana+ v3, iTunes, REW Audio Analyzer, dbPowerAmp, DVD Audio Extractor

Quote Originally Posted by SCAudiophile View Post
    Don't ever discount wood as a material, only those who don't know what the frack they are doing with it .

Same statement for various types of veneers and stone.
    One of the best sounding systems I've heard, local club member, uses no cabinet at all ! Drivers are pretty much free air.
    A bit like MBL.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Soundfield View Post
    One of the best sounding systems I've heard, local club member, uses no cabinet at all ! Drivers are pretty much free air.
    A bit like MBL.
    Can definitely believe that...open baffle, no cabinet/infinite cabinet boundary is a well known way, when done right, to build a great speaker!

Audioshark

Yes. Was thinking of some really bad inverted titanium-dome tweeters of the 90’s.

Yes. Was thinking of some really bad inverted titanium-dome tweeters of the 90’s.
    Be Afraid....be very afraid !

Be Afraid....be very afraid !
    Ah that Wilson Focal tweeter

I didn't want the thread to turn into another materials war on speaker design.

I guess as AJ stated I can't discount the product because it uses wood over aluminum.

Likewise, I remember years ago hearing a Wilson for the first and it was with that metal tweeter.

I remember leaving the demo and saying to myself what the hell do people see this in this brand, why does it cost so much etc? How can these speakers get all this praise world wide etc. I don't get it.

I chalked it up to crappy drivers in a really inert cabinet.

So, again Audio is the some of all parts.

I'll give a modern Avalon a listen again ; It won't hurt

Unless you fell on top of one. That might hurt!!

Attached Images Attached Images

I guess as AJ stated I can't discount the product because it uses wood over aluminum.

Likewise, I remember years ago hearing a Wilson for the first and it was with that metal tweeter.

I remember leaving the demo and saying to myself what the hell do people see this in this brand, why does it cost so much etc? How can these speakers get all this praise world wide etc. I don't get it.

So, again Audio is the some of all parts.

Pointing out again, that was joke on my part....AJ's last post with Tesseracts is hilarious! Definitely don't want to land on that speaker!

All kidding aside a friend in Atlanta has the Isis and loves them....another friend in NJ who had Isis for a few years and loved them upgraded
    to the Avalon Saga (first North American customer to receive pair); he's driving them with the top LAMM mono-blocks and told me they are
    fantastic. They however as noted, have a lot more competition nowadays in their price ranges so it's really up to buyers to balance budget,
    listening tastes, etc...and find the product that is best for them regardless what materials are involved.

As an aside, wood speakers: add Volti Audio to the list,...another manufacturer who knows how to work with wood.

Agree that a great speaker is about the sum of its parts and quality of design, construction,...

I remember this same conversation around paper drivers Vs new materials.

Thank God no one is longing for the days of metal dome tweeters!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    whats beryllium then?

He was. I attended the CES when he debuted the Ascent, he was showing with Jeff Rowland. It was unique at the time with 6 inch thick front baffles and bank vault-like enclosures (albeit, HDF) that were soon to be copied by everyone (Paul Hales, Eggleston, et al). They also used Eton drivers with nomex honeycomb cones which were SOTA at the time. Charlie didn't found Ayre for a few years yet.

Right there with ya, on that one! I remember my local B&M dealer had a large room at a local audio show some years ago and had Alexandria X-2s with that inverted dome Focal tweeter set up with Spectral gear. Yeesh!!! Drove me out of the room in less than 5 minutes.

I literally went across the hall to the MBL room, which was like a breath of fresh air. Ahh...

Agree that a great speaker is about the sum of its parts and quality of design, construction,...
    Then, there's um...Harbeth.

Yours truly's 30.2s...

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post

Yours truly's 30.2s...

Beautiful setup...love all the CJ gear too!!!

Beautiful setup...love all the CJ gear too!!!
    Thanks, Mark. I love the C-J gear, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post

Yours truly's 30.2s...

Love my 30.2 Anniversaries in the summerhouse!

Yes, they absolutely are.

I heard the Avalon Saga's at the HK hifi show in 2017 and 2018. They were the best sound of any system or speaker at the show.
    Give me these over a Wilson Alexx or Magico M6 if you had the room for the speakers to breath.

Bass depth to die for, a coherence and ease of listening that was awesome. This was with a Project Signature 12 front end - It would only get better with a better source. build quality was to die for.

Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: Phasemation EA-1200, Accuphase C-37,TW Acustik phono
    EQ: ​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: D'Agostino HD, conrad johnson GAT,
    Amps: conrad johnson teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum S250
    Speakers: Wilson Maxx3

Avalons have never been made of wood. They have always been made from MDF - like 99% of speakers.

IMO there are several problems with the brand.

1. Too long product life cycles. There are products in their lineup that are 15+ years old. That is too long. There is 'long' lifecycle and 'too long' - Avalon is the latter.

2. Cost. They simply cost too much. There is the saying that the second hand market verifies the real value of the product. Avalons commonly trade at 25% of MSRP.

3. Various quality problems throughout the years. Many Avalon speakers suffered veneer quality problems (I have personally seen two Isis pairs that started showing serious veneer quality issues in their 3rd or 4th year of ownership - that is 2 out of 3 (!) pairs I have seen; talk about 66% failure rate !). Then there has been that infameous 'black goo dropping from my speaker via the bass reflex port' problem, which was the rubber / dampening compound used deteriorating and turning into liquid and dripping from a speaker.

That is too bad IMO, as I used to have the Avalon Eidolon Vision back in 2005 and though they were sounding great (when driven by tube amps).
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

Quote Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
    Avalons have never been made of wood. They have always been made from MDF - like 99% of speakers.

IMO there are several problems with the brand.

1. Too long product life cycles. There are products in their lineup that are 15+ years old. That is too long. There is 'long' lifecycle and 'too long' - Avalon is the latter.

2. Cost. They simply cost too much. There is the saying that the second hand market verifies the real value of the product. Avalons commonly trade at 25% of MSRP.

3. Various quality problems throughout the years. Many Avalon speakers suffered veneer quality problems (I have personally seen two Isis pairs that started showing serious veneer quality issues in their 3rd or 4th year of ownership - that is 2 out of 3 (!) pairs I have seen; talk about 66% failure rate !). Then there has been that infameous 'black goo dropping from my speaker via the bass reflex port' problem, which was the rubber / dampening compound used deteriorating and turning into liquid and dripping from a speaker.

That is too bad IMO, as I used to have the Avalon Eidolon Vision back in 2005 and though they were sounding great (when driven by tube amps).

Point 2 is very important to me at least. Regarding the trade in or used market. Very hard to sell a product that nobody wants.

My curiosity is of this new line called their Precision Monitor series.

Specially, I heard Keith O. Johnson of Reference Recordings fame amongst others in the industry.

Has had a hand in some design of them as well as the Avalon Aurora (new speaker).

But, in the states; not much chatter about Avalon even though they are a domestic brand.

They seem more popular in Asia; as of one of the members mentioned above.

I have extensive time listening to a friend’s Avalon Isis speakers coupled with high-end Spectral/MIT gear. It is accurate and non-fatiguing, but also exceedingly boring. Nothing fun about that speaker, and very limited bass for the price. Almost sounds like a bookshelf compared to other speakers its size (listening space was custom built for music with tube traps, etc). BTW no subwoofer is used.

Quote Originally Posted by gds7368 View Post
    I have extensive time listening to a friend’s Avalon Isis speakers coupled with high-end Spectral/MIT gear. It is accurate and non-fatiguing, but also exceedingly boring. Nothing fun about that speaker, and very limited bass for the price. Almost sounds like a bookshelf compared to other speakers its size (listening space was custom built for music with tube traps, etc). BTW no subwoofer is used.
    Hummm !!
    It sounds to me like excessive room treatment
    Not unusual

Quote Originally Posted by Spock View Post
    Hummm !!
    It sounds to me like excessive room treatment
    Not unusual
    He moved the same system to another house (now without the room treatments) and it sounds the same

Quote Originally Posted by gds7368 View Post
    He moved the same system to another house (now without the room treatments) and it sounds the same
    Seriously? No.
    Many audiophiles swear that the most important component is the room.
    How can the system play the same way in two different rooms, one with and the other without room treatment?

I mean that the lifeless sonic signature continues in both rooms, not that it sounds identical in both rooms. It doesn’t play notes wrong - there’s no exaggerated mid-bass hump, and no fatiguing tweeter - just not interestingly. Maybe it would benefit from a tube somewhere or a subwoofer or something.

I know “Spectral/Avalon/MIT” has been supported in the audio community for quite a while. My advice would be for anyone considering Avalon speakers to hear it in their home before, say, buying used on Audiogon (even if at a good price). Otherwise could continue the audio ownership turnstile. Obviously the owner likes his system, which is good for him!

I’m not trying to be offensive, and I’m not interested in arguing, but I’ve heard a well thought out system with Avalon speakers for about ten years now and that’s the topic of the thread. Just sharing my $0.02.

First off, yes Charlie started the company. When he was there, they made one of the best speakers money could buy. They were always expensive, but man did they sound great to most of us. Charlie sold to Patel, but the brand became pretty stale over time.

A few years ago, they decided to stop advertising their speakers and were dropped by the largest adn most prestiges stores in the US. This is why they won't be picked up by top stores anymore. It makes no sense. The last pair I hear were the Times at JS Audio. I think that was about 2 years ago as they were selling them at cost to get rid of them. I wasn't impressed at all. My Vandersteen Quatro's sounded better to my ears. I'm not a Wilson fan as they lack detail to me, but I enjoyed their sound in the same room with the same gear (Dan D's stuff).

I heard that they were big in Asia as someone pointed out earlier in the thread, but not sure.

I agree 100% with gds. You should listen to any speaker at those prices before getting them. I've never been a Spectral fan as they are sterile for me no matter what the system. It's all subjective, so there's that too, lol.
    System:
    Vandersteen Quatro CT
    Ayre AX5/20
    The Memory Player with built in DAC and headphone amp built in on order
    AQ Niagara 1000 power device
    Audioquest William Tell bi wire speaker cable
    Wireworld 8 optical cable into the Empirical Audio Synchro Mesh from the TV and Blueray to reclock
    Wireworld Platnium 8 ethernet cables into the EMO 70e ethernet filter into The Memory Player from Eero mesh router
    All routers, cable box and synchro mesh powered by the Wyred4sound LPS box with separate supplies for each
    Audioquest power outlets and four dedicated power lines in the room
    ZMF Ori headphones with the Audioarts 15' Pono balanced cable for the QX5/20
    Empire Ears Phantom CIEM's
    Rhapsodio 2.98 mk2 gold plated silver cable for Phantom

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Avalon Acoustics - Are they still relevant/competitive ?