Avalon Acoustics - Are they still relevant/competitive ? - Page 3
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Avalon Acoustics - Are they still relevant/competitive ?

Quote Originally Posted by SCAudiophile View Post
    Be Afraid....be very afraid !
    Ah that Wilson Focal tweeter

I didn't want the thread to turn into another materials war on speaker design.

I guess as AJ stated I can't discount the product because it uses wood over aluminum.

Likewise, I remember years ago hearing a Wilson for the first and it was with that metal tweeter.

I remember leaving the demo and saying to myself what the hell do people see this in this brand, why does it cost so much etc? How can these speakers get all this praise world wide etc. I don't get it.

I chalked it up to crappy drivers in a really inert cabinet.

So, again Audio is the some of all parts.

I'll give a modern Avalon a listen again ; It won't hurt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mdp632 View Post
    Unless you fell on top of one. That might hurt!!

Attached Images Attached Images

3. Likes mdp632, bart, SCAudiophile, Skanda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess as AJ stated I can't discount the product because it uses wood over aluminum.

Likewise, I remember years ago hearing a Wilson for the first and it was with that metal tweeter.

I remember leaving the demo and saying to myself what the hell do people see this in this brand, why does it cost so much etc? How can these speakers get all this praise world wide etc. I don't get it.

So, again Audio is the some of all parts.

Pointing out again, that was joke on my part....AJ's last post with Tesseracts is hilarious! Definitely don't want to land on that speaker!

All kidding aside a friend in Atlanta has the Isis and loves them....another friend in NJ who had Isis for a few years and loved them upgraded
    to the Avalon Saga (first North American customer to receive pair); he's driving them with the top LAMM mono-blocks and told me they are
    fantastic. They however as noted, have a lot more competition nowadays in their price ranges so it's really up to buyers to balance budget,
    listening tastes, etc...and find the product that is best for them regardless what materials are involved.

As an aside, wood speakers: add Volti Audio to the list,...another manufacturer who knows how to work with wood.

Agree that a great speaker is about the sum of its parts and quality of design, construction,...
    Legacy Audio CalibreXD custom, dual Legacy Foundation Subs with Legacy Wavelet, Esoteric P-02, D-02, Legacy Powerbloc2, Cybershaft Premium Limited OP21 10 mHz Clock, SHUNYATA TRITON v3 & TYPHON QR, Environmental Potentials EP-2050 & EP2750, CH Copper Busbar Main & GE Sub-panel, 20-amp dedicated circuits, Dual 10’ Ground Rods, CADWELD bonding, Avatar Acoustics AfterBurner8 duplexes (5), Elrod MASTER SERIES Statement Gold Powercords (4), Elrod Statement Gold Powercords (2), Elrod Statement Silver Powercords (1), Elrod Statement Gold XLR (2 pair), Shunyata SIGMA AES/EBU 110ohm (2), Shunyata SIGMA CLOCK-50 (3), Shunyata SIGMA XLR, Shunyata Anaconda Zitron XLR, B.M.C. PureUSB1, Elrod Statement Gold custom speaker cables, Elrod MASTERS SERIES SG JUMPERS (4), Adona AV45CS4, AV45, Composite Audio CF-2010, HRS DPX Damping Plates (11), Stillpoints UltraSS w/Ultra Bases

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I remember this same conversation around paper drivers Vs new materials.

Thank God no one is longing for the days of metal dome tweeters!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    whats beryllium then?
    Linn Kilmax LP12 | Channel D | Jadis | Denafrips | Innuos | Klipsch Cornwall IV | Falcon LS3/5a | McCollum ESL 57

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    Wasn’t the late Charlie Hansen of Ayre-fame one of the founders?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    He was. I attended the CES when he debuted the Ascent, he was showing with Jeff Rowland. It was unique at the time with 6 inch thick front baffles and bank vault-like enclosures (albeit, HDF) that were soon to be copied by everyone (Paul Hales, Eggleston, et al). They also used Eton drivers with nomex honeycomb cones which were SOTA at the time. Charlie didn't found Ayre for a few years yet.
    Linn Kilmax LP12 | Channel D | Jadis | Denafrips | Innuos | Klipsch Cornwall IV | Falcon LS3/5a | McCollum ESL 57

7. Thanks Kuoppis thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Right there with ya, on that one! I remember my local B&M dealer had a large room at a local audio show some years ago and had Alexandria X-2s with that inverted dome Focal tweeter set up with Spectral gear. Yeesh!!! Drove me out of the room in less than 5 minutes.

I literally went across the hall to the MBL room, which was like a breath of fresh air. Ahh...

9. Likes Mike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree that a great speaker is about the sum of its parts and quality of design, construction,...
    Then, there's um...Harbeth.

Yours truly's 30.2s...

Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post

Yours truly's 30.2s...

Beautiful setup...love all the CJ gear too!!!
    Legacy Audio CalibreXD custom, dual Legacy Foundation Subs with Legacy Wavelet, Esoteric P-02, D-02, Legacy Powerbloc2, Cybershaft Premium Limited OP21 10 mHz Clock, SHUNYATA TRITON v3 & TYPHON QR, Environmental Potentials EP-2050 & EP2750, CH Copper Busbar Main & GE Sub-panel, 20-amp dedicated circuits, Dual 10’ Ground Rods, CADWELD bonding, Avatar Acoustics AfterBurner8 duplexes (5), Elrod MASTER SERIES Statement Gold Powercords (4), Elrod Statement Gold Powercords (2), Elrod Statement Silver Powercords (1), Elrod Statement Gold XLR (2 pair), Shunyata SIGMA AES/EBU 110ohm (2), Shunyata SIGMA CLOCK-50 (3), Shunyata SIGMA XLR, Shunyata Anaconda Zitron XLR, B.M.C. PureUSB1, Elrod Statement Gold custom speaker cables, Elrod MASTERS SERIES SG JUMPERS (4), Adona AV45CS4, AV45, Composite Audio CF-2010, HRS DPX Damping Plates (11), Stillpoints UltraSS w/Ultra Bases

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful setup...love all the CJ gear too!!!
    Thanks, Mark. I love the C-J gear, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post

Yours truly's 30.2s...

Love my 30.2 Anniversaries in the summerhouse!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Benz Micro Gullwing SLR MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Soulution 520 preamp with phono/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist MK II/ Soulution 511/ WyWires Platinum ICs/ Semi-active Lansche Audio 4.2 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ 2x Audioquest Thunder HD for LS/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata AlphaHC (x2)+Alpha+Alpha Analogue+Alpha Digital/ Finite Elemente Pagode/ Stillpoints Ultra SS.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Ayre Codex/ Auralic Aries Mini/ Sbooster LPSU/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

14. Likes Puma Cat liked this post

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast