Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Hundreds, Even Thousands Of Dollars For Speaker, Power, And Other Cables...Really?

I'm sure this has been discussed ad infinitum over many years, even decades. But I remember in the mid '70s when we used 16 gauge (often times much lighter) AC power cord for speaker wire. Power conditioners and power supplies hadn't even entered the picture yet. At least not to a great extent. Then we used standard speaker wire. Both AC wire and standard speaker wire were very cheap and they worked. How well they worked is where the discussion starts and will likely never end.

As some of you know, I'm a relative newb/returnee to high end home audio after a 40+ year hiatus. And I'm still having difficulty accepting this evolutionary concept of high end audio cables, power conditioners, power supplies, and their sky rocketing costs vs their true effectiveness.

How did we get here? Audio cable used to be very inexpensive. Didn't matter whether it was speaker or interconnect cable. It was cheap. Then it seemed, within a relatively short period of time, cable got expensive...in many cases VERY expensive. Just how expensive depends on your income, budget, and your willingness to believe manufacturer claims about the effectiveness of various cables, power conditioners, power supplies, etc.

Don't get me wrong...I do believe, to a certain extent, that the better the "quality" of the cable the better your audio system might sound. I think it all depends on the materials used, the build quality, and the design, just like any other component.

I still can't help but wonder, is there really a significant difference in the SQ of various audio cables, power conditioners, and power supplies? "Significant" being the operative word. My new system won't be operational until January. So I don't currently know how good my cables will sound. Or, if I will even appreciate the difference. I have AudioQuest Rocket 88 speaker cable and MacKenzie interconnects. About the only way I could tell the difference in quality between my choice of cables and the choices of others would be via a direct comparison using the same exact components in the same listening environment. Maybe the difference would be very noticeable, maybe not. I really don't have a clue.

It just seems to me the costs of various audio cables, power conditioners, and power supplies (what I would call "incidentals") are astronomical. When I purchased my first (and most recent) high end audio system cables weren't even a consideration. They were just a relatively insignificant necessity.

Today, such "incidentals" are big business. You can spend $2000+ quicker than you can blink your eyes, on speaker cables alone. Power conditioners and power supplies can also easily run into the thousands of dollars. Like many other things...things in high end home audio sure have changed.

When I returned to the high end audio hobby last February I'll have to admit I experienced sticker shock in a major way. Not only regarding the audio hardware and software, but the lowly audio cable as well. Hundreds, even thousands of dollars for cables alone?!! To quote a very wise man...Great googly moogly!!! I feel like the man in the time machine. Or, perhaps, Rip Van Winkle. Even Sleeping Beauty!! Well, maybe not.

OK, so I've now, for the most part, accepted the price tags on audio components. But I'm still very puzzled over the costs of various cables and incidentals. I'm sure after I first audition my new system in January I'll begin to appreciate the enhancement of my system via high quality incidentals. We'll see I guess.

Sorry for the long, rambling post. But it was kind of quiet around here anyway.

Re: Hundreds, Even Thousands Of Dollars For Speaker, Power, And Other Cables...Really?

I hear you, honestly I do.

I thought my return to Audio was going to be around $5000 since I have a pair of Snell speakers from the early 90’s that I ended up having to re-cone.

That was then, today I have learned it all matters, but you still can make a difference following a budget but the steps of room, power, cables, isolation, speakers and components have to follow a logical path towards implementation to get the most out of system - you will get improvements by sensibly doing something, versus nothing.

It’s surprisingly eerie on how good these systems can get and wonder if the artists even realize this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Re: Hundreds, Even Thousands Of Dollars For Speaker, Power, And Other Cables...Really?

If you want to see for yourself, buy a Shunyata Delta NR power cord. You’ll become a believer. There’s a robust resale market for these so you don’t have to worry about making a bad investment. You can read about the benefits all you want, but until you’ve experienced it in your own system there will always be some doubt. Mike is a Shunyata dealer.
    Gary
    Main: Lumin A1, Accuphase E-650, Tannoy Canterbury GR, Shunyata, Audience
    Secondary: Lumin M1, Linton Heritage, Shunyata, Audience

This can spiral out of control quickly. My recommendation is to really focus on the listening position/speaker placement/room treatment relationship first and get that optimized. Once that is optimized, tweaks like cables and the like are easier to hear and have more impact. I wouldn't lose any sleep over these things as you are purchasing some great equipment and wires right out of the gate. The problem is, it does start to become an obsession at some point. There are times when I have taken a step back and laughed at myself!
    Morgan

NEW SYSTEM UNDER CONSTRUCTION

several points i would make from my specific experience with analog signal cabling -- as always YMMV...

> cables do make a very significant difference in SQ

> the first order effect is the metal used in the conductor wire. generically, there are cables using silver, copper and tinned-copper wire. each has a different signature sound.

> the second order effect is wire gauge, AWG. lower AWG / thicker wire will sound different than higher AWG / thinner wire, all else equal

> everything else is incremental to that

again from my experience with my system, the greatest improvement / difference in SQ can be had for quite reasonable prices with cables having straightforward designs. there are many manufacturers offering this type cable.

choosing a cable is a lot like tube rolling in that the optimal choice is system and listener dependent.

with respect to my specific system which is slightly to the warm side of neutral and very organic / musical, no small part of my being able to achieve this was the selection of cables with tinned-copper conductor wire. if this is a sound that you like as well, i would point you to the writings of jeff day on the subject...

https://positive-feedback.com/audio-...cables-part-1/

also fwiw: i intentionally use speaker cables with old-school, bare-wire termination. simplicity wins with fewer links in the chain... and, less costly -- win/win
    viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | air tight atc-5 + atm-300r | clearaudio concept + virtuoso v2 MM | t+a dac8 dsd + kanjiroba diy transport + roon rock
    alp-tone audio analog cables | core audio designs plyKraft 3L | hifi racks ltd podium t5-iii

IMHO;

The higher resolution of one’s system ; the greater effect these high end cables have for better or worse (subjective )

When you have a high end system ; a cheap cable with tons of distortion from the 1970s will give you exactly that. Switch to a modern technology ; sound is better.

Less distortion = better sound

that’s what the high end is all about.

thats what you are paying for.

Likewise , a Ferrari 488 gtb owner isn’t going to be upset with the cost of Michelin pilot sport tires that they go out and buy cooper or a lesser brand.

Nothing against the latter but , the car will never reach its potential on lesser tires.

Likewise In the Audio world.

Sure , you use the stock power cord or even a Shunyata delta on a pair of Ch precision monoblock Amps.

But , almost certain that an omega Qr or dragon Hc will give you the resolution that those amps can provide.

Thats the price to pay to play at this high exotic level.

Cables (power, interconnect, speaker) are the foundation for a stereo. Also, power itself is part of that foundation. Each amp should have a dedicated 20 amp circuit, and the preamp and other gear should have another dedicated 20 amp circuit. Obviously, each circuit requires a decent power conditioner. The better the foundation then the better the stereo. Building a stereo on a cheap foundation will result in an inferior sounding system. No matter what gear is used.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Audioshark

You listened to a full Shunyata system at my store and loved it. They only time we didn’t use Shunyata was when we used the NAIM system since NAIM requires special “for NAIM” speaker cables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

The OP should continue to use Existing Audioquest cables ; which are fine cables btw.

Until his pending gear is installed and up and running.

Then he should demo a full “loom “ speaker + interconnects of another brand to compare with his existing Audioquest.

However , I like many here believe power is higher would be more important and would take priority.

what is the Op using for his power cables ?

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by mdp632 View Post
    The OP should continue to use Existing Audioquest cables ; which are fine cables btw.

Until his pending gear is installed and up and running.

Then he should demo a full “loom “ speaker + interconnects of another brand to compare with his existing Audioquest.

However , I like many here believe power is higher would be more important and would take priority.

what is the Op using for his power cables ?
    Stock. There was no budget for after market power cords.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

You don't even have to go nuts with PCs. In my system, I noticed a difference with $50 Pangea PCs. Then more with PS Audio AC3s at $125 and then again with Cullen at $125.

Now waiting for my Shunyata PC for the new Luxman.

Other than the gear itself, I think the best tweak I did was PCs as I already have a dedicated line which should be the first thing anyone serious does. It is amazing how much noise a Fridge, Florescent lights and a Microwave can put thru your sound. Before my dedicated line, the wall outlet I used was shared by the kitchen. You could hear the sond levels drop with noise and return every time the light was turned on and off.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

To that end , the Op should demo a Shunyata venom ps8 plus venom cords and a Niagara 1200 plus nrg series cords.

i say this because these products seem like a good starting point into high end audio power products.

What is the rest of the system ?

Mike, I don't have even the slightest doubt the cables and connects I purchased from you will do a superb job. I have great trust in you and your recommendations. My post is simply about how surprised I was at the prices of cables, interconnects, power supplies, and power conditioners, upon my return to high end home audio. That's all. Nothing more.

I shouldn't be that surprised. As I've mentioned before, the last time I owned a high end audio system was in the mid '70s. You could reasonably expect a lot of changes in the high end home audio industry since then. Heck, cables and interconnects is now an industry unto itself. Used to be when you bought a stereo system you got these spindly, thin, little, speaker cables and interconnects and didn't even give it a thought. Very cheaply made. Then they started increasing in size (gauge) and price and the rest is history.

You were right in saying I could have purchased higher quality cables but was limited by my budget. That's likely one of the first upgrades I'll do. But until then what you recommended I'm sure will be more than adequate. I'm so pumped about my system. Coming up on four more weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassphile View Post
    Sorry for the long, rambling post. But it was kind of quiet around here anyway.
    Quiet until you decided to throw in a grenade. Hundreds, Even Thousands Of Dollars For Speaker, Power, And Other Cables...Really?

I am in total agreement. If I remember correctly, there is a term in economics , the law of diminishing marginal utility. Is a $2500 power cable worth 25X as much as a $100 cable? Can you really get $2400 worth of value for the extra $$$? I recently posted something about a Purist Audio Design $15,000 power cable. $750 of Furutech parts, $14,250 for a 1.5 meters of cable?You MUST be kidding. I use custom made Furutech cables. The NCF cables and connectors. The same as the $15,000 cable. I'm extremely pleased. I've owned quite a few different combinations. This is the sweet spot for me. I think the break in process is also 75% fluff. I just think it takes 200-300 hours to get accustomed to the new sound.
    T+A MP3100HV, T+A PA3100HV. Custom made Furutech cables with ETP-609 distributor with NCF outlets, Harbeth 40.2 Anniversaries.

Hundreds, Even Thousands Of Dollars For Speaker, Power, And Other Cables...Really?

Hi Tom,
    The way I look at cables and power cords is it really depends on your satisfaction level with your system. You hook up all you have purchased in January and if you’re absolutely happy with the sound, you need not spend an additional dime on cables. I find the satisfaction factor is really the motivation in all of this. If you aren’t though, that’s when you have to decide “how much” is enough for you, and only you and your ears can answer that question for you.

Many years ago I too started off with AQ Rocket88 speaker cables on an Integra receiver, a set of paradigm speakers and a few stock PC’s. After initial honeymoon period has passed, the sound became unsatisfying and I went on a 4-5 years worth of upgrade path. Long story short, I now have full loom of AQ Hurricane PC’s and MIT EVO One SC and IC’s. All my components are powered by Denali 6000T + AQ Niagara 1000. Do I think there are better cables that could make my system better? Absolutely. Knowing what I like, AQ Dragon, MIT 2C3D and Shunyata Triton v3/ Typhon QR would no doubt bring my system to another level. But do I think I need to spend that additional money? I really don’t because I’m absolutely satisfied with my current system (same for resisting to upgrade Magico S3 to S3 mk2). By the way, I haven’t made a change in 9 months and that’s saying something.

Do I think you’d be absolutely happy with your system come January? I hope you’re that lucky, but probably not. If that happens, my suggestion is to start off with a power conditioner like a Denali v1 because there’s a chance that might be the only thing you need. Denali v2 is just recently released, so you could get a nice discount on v1.

You’re probably thinking you’re almost home, but January is only the start of your journey. Have fun and enjoy the ride.

I'll be the first to agree that cables make a difference, especially power cables but c'mon thousands of dollars for a 5 foot cable! Between the cost of materials, labor and R&D prices are way, way, way overblown. That being said there will still be enough people purchasing them. I myself have spent a good amount of money on cables to make a significant improvement in my system, but I do keep it within reason.

Even within the same manufactures line of cables there will be several different levels that are offered and granted the top of the line cable will sound better then the entry level cable but again do the parts and labor cost many, many thousands of dollars more? I think not.

Just like the health care industry Hi-End Audio has gone off the charts with prices.
    Paul

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
    Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
    Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
    Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
    Music Server: Aurender N100H
    Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
    SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
    Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
    AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.

I’ve always been a power cord denier. Have a couple Wireworld PCs I got with my mono blocks. I never had them hooked up with any stock cord, so I guess I didn’t have a chance to notice a change.

On a whim I picked up a Level 2 PC from anti cable. Plugged it into my pre/processor, and I can hear a difference. Not quite sure why, but it’s noticeable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Preamp/Digital: Meitner MA3
    HT Processor: Bryston SP3
    Amps: Bryston 14b3, Bryston 4b3
    Speakers: Kef Reference 5, Kef Reference 4c
    Sub: REL Carbon Special
    Power: Shunyata Denali, Bryston BIT15
    Wires: Wireworld Silver Eclipse XLR & SC, Ethernet - WW Platinum USB
    Other: Stillpoint Ultra SS, ISO-Acoustics ISO Pucks

-Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
    Quiet until you decided to throw in a grenade. Hundreds, Even Thousands Of Dollars For Speaker, Power, And Other Cables...Really?

LOL!!

Quote Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post
    Hi Tom,
    The way I look at cables and power cords is it really depends on your satisfaction level with your system. You hook up all you have purchased in January and if you’re absolutely happy with the sound, you need not spend an additional dime on cables. I find the satisfaction factor is really the motivation in all of this. If you aren’t though, that’s when you have to decide “how much” is enough for you, and only you and your ears can answer that question for you.

Many years ago I too started off with AQ Rocket88 speaker cables on an Integra receiver, a set of paradigm speakers and a few stock PC’s. After initial honeymoon period has passed, the sound became unsatisfying and I went on a 4-5 years worth of upgrade path. Long story short, I now have full loom of AQ Hurricane PC’s and MIT EVO One SC and IC’s. All my components are powered by Denali 6000T + AQ Niagara 1000. Do I think there are better cables that could make my system better? Absolutely. Knowing what I like, AQ Dragon, MIT 2C3D and Shunyata Triton v3/ Typhon QR would no doubt bring my system to another level. But do I think I need to spend that additional money? I really don’t because I’m absolutely satisfied with my current system (same for resisting to upgrade Magico S3 to S3 mk2). By the way, I haven’t made a change in 9 months and that’s saying something.

Do I think you’d be absolutely happy with your system come January? I hope you’re that lucky, but probably not. If that happens, my suggestion is to start off with a power conditioner like a Denali v1 because there’s a chance that might be the only thing you need. Denali v2 is just recently released, so you could get a nice discount on v1.

You’re probably thinking you’re almost home, but January is only the start of your journey. Have fun and enjoy the ride.
    +1 on the MIT Evo recommendation. I also moved up from an even higher end AQ Oak +Earth but, preferred the MIT in my system over the AQ.

New AQ Speaker cables designed by Garth Powell are supposed to be very nice but, i made the change prior to MIT and have no further reason to change.

In the system synergy +plus subjective preference play a big part.

Quote Originally Posted by Phishphan View Post
    I’ve always been a power cord denier. Have a couple Wireworld PCs I got with my mono blocks. I never had them hooked up with any stock cord, so I guess I didn’t have a chance to notice a change.

On a whim I picked up a Level 2 PC from anti cable. Plugged it into my pre/processor, and I can hear a difference. Not quite sure why, but it’s noticeable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Quite simply; even a Level 2 anti cable has much lower distortion than the stock power cord. The cleaner the signal you can feed your system, the greater the rewards.

You have an extremely high resolving and fantastic speaker with the KEF Ref 5. So, you'll hear every change for better or worse.

I wonder if the OP will be disappointed from what he heard at Mike's shop with the respective amplifier he purcased? or is purchasing?

Compared to when he brings it home and using a system of stock power cords.

Regarding the fact that I highly doubt Suncoast was using a stock power cord during the demo.

Perception can suddenly change.

In all seriousness though; power cords regardless of what you buy or what it cost. There is going to be an improvement over the stock cord.

Especially on a high current product like an integrated amp. Even more critical because it combines the pre in one box.

Happy Thanksgiving

Audioshark

Mike, I don't have even the slightest doubt the cables and connects I purchased from you will do a superb job. I have great trust in you and your recommendations. My post is simply about how surprised I was at the prices of cables, interconnects, power supplies, and power conditioners, upon my return to high end home audio. That's all. Nothing more.

I shouldn't be that surprised. As I've mentioned before, the last time I owned a high end audio system was in the mid '70s. You could reasonably expect a lot of changes in the high end home audio industry since then. Heck, cables and interconnects is now an industry unto itself. Used to be when you bought a stereo system you got these spindly, thin, little, speaker cables and interconnects and didn't even give it a thought. Very cheaply made. Then they started increasing in size (gauge) and price and the rest is history.

You were right in saying I could have purchased higher quality cables but was limited by my budget. That's likely one of the first upgrades I'll do. But until then what you recommended I'm sure will be more than adequate. I'm so pumped about my system. Coming up on four more weeks.
    We need to focus on power cords next.

I wonder if the OP will be disappointed from what he heard at Mike's shop with the respective amplifier he purcased? or is purchasing?

More likely to be disappointed because Mike has properly set up and well treated listening rooms. This will have a far greater impact than the power cables. This is coming from someone who has a major investment in power cables. This investment happened after my room was set up and treated.
    Morgan

NEW SYSTEM UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Audioshark

Don’t worry guys, he won’t be disappointed, I’ll see to that. I was working with a strict budget. We can always focus on power cables and treatments down the road, but really, Harbeth’s are VERY room friendly.

Regarding the fact that I highly doubt Suncoast was using a stock power cord during the demo.

Perception can suddenly change.

In all seriousness though; power cords regardless of what you buy or what it cost. There is going to be an improvement over the stock cord.

Especially on a high current product like an integrated amp. Even more critical because it combines the pre in one box.

Happy Thanksgiving

Yes, dealer demo's can often eclipse whats achieved at home because dealers usually have the experience necessary to optimally set up and demonstrate equipment. Part of the 'optimal' equation is accessories (power cords, racks, resonance controls, room treatment etc. etc.) which help unlock the potential of the product being auditioned.
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

Quote Originally Posted by MPW View Post
    More likely to be disappointed because Mike has properly set up and well treated listening rooms. This will have a far greater impact than the power cables. This is coming from someone who has a major investment in power cables. This investment happened after my room was set up and treated.

Understood and very true.

Are the AQ Rocket 88s considered "stock" cables? The reviews of them I've read were highly complimentary.

Audioshark

Are the AQ Rocket 88s considered "stock" cables? The reviews of them I've read were highly complimentary.
    No. Stock are the power cords.

Ah, I see. What kind of money for a high quality power cord?

That's all a matter of opinion and available budget, but the most expensive is not always the best. You can in fact buy a quality after market power cord for as little as $79 though you will certainly be told otherwise.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Audioshark

Ah, I see. What kind of money for a high quality power cord?
    Anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand or more. Don’t sweat it for now. Let’s get the system up and running and broken in before we start with the rest.

interesting responses to the OP -- cable threads are always lively with a wide variety solutions, products, preferences, etc...

one thing i notice is that cabling tends to be treated as one large generic category. however, i find it useful to further segment cabling into distinct categories with each having a distinct purpose:

analog signal cables: these are the interconnect and speaker cables which cary the analog signal between components. as i think @mike stated, these cables are effectively tone controls reflecting the audio qualities of the conductor metal and AWG used as well as myriad other design characteristics. these cables should also carry the signal with as little EMI/RFI as possible which is determined by the design and quality of any necessary shielding.

digital signal cables: these are the cables carrying the digital signal between the various components of a digital source -- basically, everything upstream from the DAC including the network all the way to the street. the sole purpose of digital cables is to deliver the intended stream of 0s and 1s (square wave) with as little electrical noise as is absolutely possible. [ i think optical fiber cabling is dispositive on this issue... but i repeat myself! ]

power cables: i think PCs can be thought of one component of the overall power system including everything upstream to the street and ground. the sole purpose here is to simply deliver the purest possible raw material to the factory: electricity free of noise, fluctuations, etc.

perhaps, this is an obvious classification scheme well know to all here -- i just find it useful to make the explicit distinction of purpose when trying out different cables in the various parts of my system.

as always, YMMV
    viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | air tight atc-5 + atm-300r | clearaudio concept + virtuoso v2 MM | t+a dac8 dsd + kanjiroba diy transport + roon rock
    alp-tone audio analog cables | core audio designs plyKraft 3L | hifi racks ltd podium t5-iii

Anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand or more. Don’t sweat it for now. Let’s get the system up and running and broken in before we start with the rest.

Sounds like a good plan to me, Mike. It's been so long since I owned a great sounding high end audio system a Walmart boom box
    with a speaker missing would sound good to me now.....LOL!!

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team