Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Super Moderator

Zu Audio speakers?

Anyone have Zu Audio speakers?

Can anyone comment on the sound? They seem to have a love it or hate it reputation.

I’ve never heard them but see lots of fans online.

Curious. They seem well suited to lower powered and/or tube amps.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Re: Zu Audio speakers?

You should go to WBF and talk to the guy who brings up Zu speakers in every thread. If you started a thread about your dead grandmother, he would bring up Zu speakers in your thread. He would probably say every funeral home should have Zu speakers because they will lift your spirits when you listen to music through them.

Seriously, since you state the speakers have a reputation as either being loved or hated and you are curious about them because you can use low power amps, it would be good if you actually had a chance to hear them in person. Otherwise, you will be hearing from those that love them and those that hate them which isn’t much help.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Audioshark

Yucky. Good for funeral homes perhaps, where they are not played.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Good for funeral homes perhaps, where they are not played.
    What if they wake the dead?

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Soundfield View Post
    What if they wake the dead?
    They do. They come out with ears a bleeding.

That being said, they are the coolest company at RMAF. Pot pizza is yummy.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

my son has a pair (can't tell you which model but they are big) and to these ears they sound superb. Driven by PASS electronics. They soundstage beautifully, thanks to a great set up with plenty of room to breath both behind and on the sides.
    Cheers ! …. Dave

They sound like feral cats scratching glass. Worst speakers I've heard this decade.
    Tom

Audio:
    Amati Futura Mains
    Amati Homage VOX Center,
    Proac Response 1sc Rears,
    Three MC2301's for L,C,R
    MC 602 for the rears
    C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 77
    Nottingham Dais with Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation
    SurfacePro 3, JRiver, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

Video:
    MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
    Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 80, Rega P3

OnDeck:
    McIntosh MAC 4300v

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
    They sound like feral cats scratching glass. Worst speakers I've heard this decade.
    That about sums it up.

They do. They come out with ears a bleeding.

That being said, they are the coolest company at RMAF. Pot pizza is yummy.

Pot pizza .... LOL!!
    Buddy

Boulder 1160 Amp, 1110 Pre-Amp
    Audio Research Ref. 3 Phono-Pre
    Vivid Audio Giya G2S2 Speakers
    MSB Reference DAC
    Innuos Statement w/Next. Gen. PS
    B & W DB1D Subwoofer X2
    Audioquest Niagara 5000 Power Conditioner
    Kronos Pro Turntable w/Kronoscope RS tonearm + SCPS-1 PS + MSL Platinum Cart.
    VPI HW-40 Turntable w/ Lyra Etna cartridge
    Jay's Audio CDT3-MK3 CD Transport
    Schiit Mjolnir 2 HPA + Audeze LCD X headphones
    Adona Equipment Rack and Amp Stands
    Furutech Outlets and Plates + NCF Booster
    Shunyata Cables
    Synergistic Research Galileo SX Ground Block, FEQ 4, Ethernet Switch UEF, Black Box + Room Acoustic treatments

Zu Audio speakers?

Quote Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
    Tom, we both walked out at the RMAF demo in 2017.

I will say things sounding significantly better in 2019 but don’t remember the pot pizza Zu Audio speakers?

I know no more, no less...

MEP, your comment on the Zu guy on WBF is funny as the others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by UltraFast69 View Post
    MEP, your comment on the Zu guy on WBF is funny as the others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    We have lots of those. There’s people on there who claim to be building a house for a system.....since Nixon was President.

Zu Audio speakers?

Every time I heard Zu, I didn’t last more than 2 minutes in the room, even when they are paired with Pass electronics, which normally are pleasant to listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post
    Every time I heard Zu, I didn’t last more than 2 minutes in the room, even when they are paired with Pass electronics, which normally are pleasant to listen to.
    I suspect you, like many others have not heard them presented correctly or perhaps there is a big difference in the models they offer, I truthfully don't know.
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Super Moderator

I’m going to try and listen for myself. I’m not thinking about anything now, just super curious.

Thank you guys for your thoughts.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Zu Audio speakers?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
    I suspect you, like many others have not heard them presented correctly or perhaps there is a big difference in the models they offer, I truthfully don't know.
    Perhaps. I only heard them at shows, which never is optimal condition. I don’t think they have a dealer network, do they, as they seem to sell things direct?

Even then though, any good loudspeakers have no business sounding like that even not presented correctly.

These are well loved by many so I’m wondering if there are big model to model and unit to unit variations. I too have only heard them at shows - but it was in their room with their team demonstrating them so I have to believe it was a good representation of their sound.

There are a lot of speakers I just don’t like because they are unnaturally detailed or over-hyped or have some obvious sonic character that I find offensive. But that’s just me and others will have different opinions. For example I’ve never heard a Lowther driver speaker that didn’t have me running for the exit in seconds. Other people love ‘em.

What I’ve said about the Zu’s before is that they are very idiosyncratic and you need to listen to them yourself.
    Tom

Audio:
    Amati Futura Mains
    Amati Homage VOX Center,
    Proac Response 1sc Rears,
    Three MC2301's for L,C,R
    MC 602 for the rears
    C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 77
    Nottingham Dais with Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation
    SurfacePro 3, JRiver, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

Video:
    MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
    Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 80, Rega P3

OnDeck:
    McIntosh MAC 4300v

When I had CJ I was looking for a more efficient speaker to replace my Dyn's. I bought a set of Zu, they were Omen cabinets with Soul Super Fly drivers.

They use drivers made for them by Eminence.

I will say they will play lloud as ..... and hold together like nobody's business.

I moved on, I couldn't get any low bass out of them in my room and those super tweeters got to be more than I could handle listening to. They probably would have been good in a home theater where they only had to play above a certain frequency and you could EQ the top end.

They really are designed for SET.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

I can offer a perspective based on owning Zu Definition Mk IVs for the past seven years. I do not consider myself a Zu fanboy. They are not my destination speakers. My comments below are based only on the Def IVs as I have not heard any other models.

Like any other speaker they require proper equipment matching and system optimization to get the best sound. This includes clean power and good cables. They are not a plug and play speaker that can be plopped in any old system and will sound great. When optimized the speakers are totally transparent and have a wide soundstage. They have a nice low end shove, very good tone and voices are very realistic. In my system they play all genres of music very well, except for classical. Where they come up short for me is resolution. The dual 10” full range drivers cannot extract the detail I personally am looking for and have heard from other speakers. Because of this imaging is not as precise as I would like it to be and soundstage depth while there, is not extended. I would classify these as a more musical speaker rather than an audiophile speaker. At $16,900 for a new pair I believe these are a good value if you are looking for a more musical set of speakers. For the record my speakers have never sounded like fingernails on a chalkboard, however crappy recordings still sound like crappy recordings.

As a contrast, in May of this year I had the opportunity to hear the Focal Kanta 2s and the Avantgarde Uno Fino speakers at two different dealers. I was excited to hear these, especially the Uno Finos as I view the Avantgarde Duo XDs as a possible end game speaker. I can sum up the visits by saying I was totally underwhelmed with what I heard from each system. My home system with the Zu speakers was significantly better. I believe a large part of this was due to the systems themselves and not the speakers. If I totally based my perspective of the Avantgardes on that one listening session I would write them off and remove them from my potential destination speaker list. I suspect a large part of the love/hate with Zu speakers has do to component matching and system optimization.

My current system: Antipodes Gen 2 server > Final Touch Audio Ethernet cable > Lampizator Pacific DAC with VC > Bakoon Amp-12R > Zu Definition Mk IVs. All power cords and other cables LessLoss C-MARC. Power conditioning via LessLoss C-MARC Firewall 64Xs (6)

Apologies for the lengthy post.

Super Moderator

Thank you very much for your post.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I got the Zu Essence many years ago, and upgraded to the Druids a few years ago.

When I started, I chose them based on the “made in America” tag, and high sensitivity. At that point in time I was doing some DIY amp making. I was doing work in the 12-40 watt range with both tubes, and first watt clones. I did (and still don’t) have room for a more traditional big box high efficiency speaker.

Strengths and weaknesses to be sure. Most agree that there is a Zu “house” sound signature, which is either liked, or not. They have a lot of energy, and I don’t consider them to be “polite”. I continue to enjoy them.

They are also small for a high efficiency speaker, and being bottom ported, are easy to place in a room.

That being said, as I am looking for the retirement system, I’m trying to consider more options, requiring more amplification. The new Druid VI is on my list.
    Amplification : Modwright LS300 - Atma-Sphere "Class D" monoblocks
    Digital : MSB Premier DAC+Digital Director, Oppo 203, Sonos Port (W4S mod)
    Analog : Technics SL1200G, Boulder 508
    Speakers : Daedalus Audio Muse Studio
    Headphone : BHSE + Voce

Zus are great, but don't judge them at shows. They use anti-audiophile music, not even well recorded much of the time with no room treatment. In RMAF they are in a cavern typically, a party room really.

The new Druid VI is a superb speaker. It will show you what coherent, dynamic sound tastes like unlike most of the cacophony out there. That said, I don't find Zu at its best for classical and it won't have the resolution of a Magico or YG.

The company also offers a legit 60-day return policy and has one of the most accessible designers in the business. I actually think you'd really dig em, Joe- in a similar tonal direction as Harbeth but much better ime.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    Zus are great, but don't judge them at shows. They use anti-audiophile music, not even well recorded much of the time with no room treatment. In RMAF they are in a cavern typically, a party room really.

The new Druid VI is a superb speaker. It will show you what coherent, dynamic sound tastes like unlike most of the cacophony out there. That said, I don't find Zu at its best for classical and it won't have the resolution of a Magico or YG.

The company also offers a legit 60-day return policy and has one of the most accessible designers in the business. I actually think you'd really dig em, Joe- in a similar tonal direction as Harbeth but much better ime.
    Keith, any update on your speaker search? You’re over a year now.

You’re over a year now.
    Slow work takes time.
    My motto.

Super Moderator

Thank you very much Keith. I’ll take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post

NAD C 658 streamer.

I'm looking at getting a pair of speakers for my next system. On the list are the Zu Omen MkII, and two speakers from Tekton Design. One is the Lore Reference and the other being The Perfect SET. What I like about both is they offer a 60 day free home trial.
    Understeer is when you hit the wall with your front end. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with your rear end. Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall. Torque is how far you move the wall.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Zu Audio speakers?