GAT2 tube choices and recommendations? - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: GAT2 tube choices and recommendations?

Bob

They are a slightly warmer tube than current stock and more durable so longer lasting. If you are happy with the stock tubes then I would stay put but if you want to try something different then get a pair for the preamp and see what you hear. Ebay is probably a crap shoot for them nowadays so your best bet is probably Parts Connexion.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Nuprime CDT-8, Auralic Aries G1, Aqua La Voce S3, PS Audio BHK preamp, Mystere PA-11, Reynaud Abcisse Jubilee, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC's , Triode Wire Lab PC's & SC's, PS Audio Stellar P3, PI Audio Uberbuss, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Teac NT-505, Audia Flight FL Three S, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Audio Sensibility SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Gentlemen for your replies.

Joe... the key word from your message is "little". Spending $7K for a small improvement makes little sense to this 76 year old guy. But, it's still tempting.

Happy Thanksgiving!
    Wilson Yvette speakers, conrad-johnson GAT pre, TEA1bc phono, and ART 150 Amplifier, Marantz SA7S1 digital player, Magnum Dynalab MD108 tuner, Sota/Ortofon Kontra B table, Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC, USB and power cables, MITMagnum speaker and IC cables, Nordost Tyr2 speaker cables, AQ Hurricane and Tornado power cables, Shunyata PC and Delta digital cords, Symposium and Stillpoint vibration control, JL Audio Fathom 113 subwoofer, dCS Debussy DAC

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Bob,

I trade you my GAT2 for your GAT plus 7K

Seriously though, by saying little I don’t want to scare anyone away. GAT2 is improved and it’s not trivial but everyone’s taste is different.
    Joe

Avantgarde Duo XD, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M, JBL 590.

Job INTegrated, Naim Supernait 2 w/ HiCap-DR.

Conrad Johnson GAT2, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2, Misho Myronov Wooden pre, Linear Tube Audio MZ2.

First Watt SIT-1 monos, Misho Myronov Wooden amp, First Watt SIT-3, Luxman MQ-300, Job 250 Monos, Valvet E2se, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos.

Lumin U1 mini, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, Audio Mirror Tubadour III NOS R2R Tube Dac w/ upgrades.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    If you prefer a little more neutral, cleaner and clearer sound, get the upgrade. Otherwise if you love what you are hearing and prefer a slightly sweeter more romantic sound, leave the GAT alone. I know of owners going back to older or original CJ pieces after selling or upgrading to GAT2 or new ART amps. I also know many who absolutely love the GAT2 and ART150/300 amps. Itís all personal taste.

For the record, Iíve never had any tube issues with either my GAT or current GAT2.
    Well said Joe! I've stayed with GAT2 and the ART300s and I see no way of any major improvements without spending piles of $$$.
    For me, the GAT2 was an improvement, however I have zero doubt that others could prefer the original GAT paired with the prior generation ART amps.
    Magnepan 20.7 - CJ ART 300s - CJ GATV2 - Meitner MA-1 V2 -Dedicated JRMC + Synology NAS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2