Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Hi AudioShark Folks

I am new to the forum.

I consider myself a "budget" audiophile. I enjoy listening to music on headphone over speakers, but found myself investing on speaker more due to the need of sharing the music with others...

Over the years, I found that as long as people enjoying what they are listening, they don't necessarily care if they are listening the "right" or "perfect" setup.. It bothers me a bit but have to agree...

What's the "value" of being or trying to become an audiophile?

mmm...

Anyway, happy to be here.

Super Moderator

Re: Hi AudioShark Folks

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.

You absolutely don’t have to spend a fortune to enjoy your music. I’ve come across many budget friendly pieces that sound wonderful.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Welcome to the forum.
    I totally agree with joeinid, you can put together something economical and enjoy the music.

Welcome Aboard and enjoy your stay. Lots of variety here and even if you enjoy budget gear, it's a blast to follow along with the wonderful HE gear the members here have too.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Audioshark

Welcome. The value of being an audiophile is to enjoy the hobby. Great music and great gear.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

So much truth in all the above. However, having returned to the high end audio hobby after a 40+ year absence I have found it necessary to turn to trusted, experienced, and knowledgeable people for guidance. I shudder to think what I might have ended up spending without it. OTOH, had I been more experienced and knowledgeable with contemporary high end home audio I might have ended up not spending so much upon my return to the hobby...maybe.

Yesterday, I did something I've managed to avoid for the last several months. I added up what I have spent and, additionally, am about to spend on the final pieces of my new audio system. I was actually a little shocked. So far, it's been kind of like closing my eyes and attempting to run across a busy street. But, had I been more knowledgeable I would have been more familiar with the countless brands and models of components and particularly the major bang for the buck components. This alone would probably have saved me a considerable amount of money. If you're detecting a little buyer's remorse you would be correct. I will have spent about 8 times my original budget. As I posted in another thread...I was so naive. I had and still have so much to learn.

However, having the guidance I had almost certainly assures me of having a world class system.....the first time through. I would likely have had quite a bit of turnover of components which could have easily cost me even more in the end, had I tried putting together a system on my own. I've already changed my mind several times regarding which components to buy, often because of the good advice I received. Supplement all the advice and recommendations with reading reviews, forums, and comparisons, and all those things have contributed to my being able to make a much better informed decision on components for my system.

One other thing that has been a positive factor in my decisions.....time. I started this adventure last February. It will conclude this coming January (2020) when I purchase the remaining components for my system. This alone has allowed me to sift through all the voluminous information on high end home audio. It has helped me to make the first time count.

Making the first time count. I think I would be fooling myself if I thought I would never purchase another high end audio component. But I turn 70 this January. I'm in good health as far as I know. I go to the gym almost every day. I have longevity in my genes. My mother lived to just shy of her 99th birthday and was living independently when she passed away of a stroke. I also have "shortivity" in my genes. My father, a life long, heavy smoker, died just short of his 68th birthday. His parents lived to their late '80s. So, who knows? My point being, I'm hoping there will be less need for component swapping with my new system. After all, I don't know how much longer I'm going to be around. Maybe decades still? We'll see. So far, I woke up alive this morning. One more day to enjoy my favorite hobby, music.

Bluegrassphile, you should be set for life with what you have decided on. The only reason for a change would be curiosity most likely.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Brian, I think you're right.

Welcome!
    Main System - Lumin U2, Modwright LS36.5 DM Preamp, VTV Purifi 1ET-7040SA with tube buffer, EMM Labs DAC 2X (ver. 2), Torus RM-20, Thiel CS 3.7s, 2 Rel S/812 subs
    Back-up 1 - Premium Audio mini Gan Amp, Oppo 103D, 2 Richard Gray cond, Selah SA-2s, Sumiko S5 sub, Teac UD-503 DAC, Carver (modded) C-9
    Back-up 2 - Onkyo TX-NR797, Panasonic DP-UB820, Vansevers cond, B&W P6s, PowerSoundAudio S1500 sub

Welcome to AS!
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Hello everyone!

Thanks for all the warm welcome!!

I am curious about the main focus of Audioshark site in terms of various subjects in audiophile world.

It seems to me that this is focusing more on the equipment / room setup and less on sources or recording quality?? Am I right?

My friends and I often debating that the speakers equipments cannot perform as great as they do in the "lab", and the results from the same speakers can be different depending on where and how it is installed. While I think ultimately our speakers are that great to start anyway, I am curious if there are simple "best practice" for different speaker sets?

Maybe it is something for a different thread? Thanks!

Click on the New Posts icon upper left to see the current conversations. There are a few music threads but more are always welcome.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

Almost forgot.....Thank you so very much, Mike, for all your help and advice. I appreciate it more than you know.

Sorry for the slight hijack, infwonder. But you are so right. As long as you enjoy the music, that's what really matters in the high end audio hobby. And, yes, there are a lot of budget systems that sound fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassphile View Post
    Almost forgot.....Thank you so very much, Mike, for all your help and advice. I appreciate it more than you know.

Sorry for the slight hijack, infwonder. But you are so right. As long as you enjoy the music, that's what really matters in the high end audio hobby. And, yes, there are a lot of budget systems that sound fantastic.
    I just made a pair of older Polk M20s sound as good as they ever will hooking them up to the Luxman. Grabbed them last night with a stand and electronics with the Polks all for $60. Have not played with the Technics gear yet.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

Welcome aboard!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    Shunyata PS8 & Defender & Cabling
    HRS E1

Welcome to AS
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Hi AudioShark Folks